Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The look of resigned confusion on the historians face when Cunk asked if Arthur ’came a lot, more than a teaspoon’ was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Escobarbarian posted:

Cunk on Britain is real good. I keep thinking the character is gonna jump the shark but it hasn’t yet

Honestly, the more I've thought about it, the more I think Matt Baker would make a good pope.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Ccs posted:

Also Mackenzie Crook sure is an odd looking guy. I'm glad he was able to make a career as he's obviously incredibly talented as an actor and director, but he looks like a recovering meth addict.

I remember him bringing his testicle measurement device on Would I Lie to You, because he grew up with severe developmental problems and had to be constantly assessed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He had balls to do that.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
He lived round the corner from my mum and we used to see Lance’s car and Peter’s camper van parked in the street all the time. It was pretty startling to see them in the wild.

I think they moved out to Essex (or Suffolk, wherever the show was filmed) so we don’t seem them any more :(

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
His odd looks have also helped him get the part of Worzel Gummidge in the reboot that nobody asked for.

I’m biased though because I used to find Worzel Gummidge loving terrifying as a kid.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
More scary than that witch lady on Terrahawks?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

She wasn't too bad but that toothy murder monster she had was terrifying.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SEX BURRITO posted:

His odd looks have also helped him get the part of Worzel Gummidge in the reboot that nobody asked for.

I’m biased though because I used to find Worzel Gummidge loving terrifying as a kid.

I only recently learned that Jon Pertwee was also the voice of Spotty on SuperTed.

On which note, I enjoy how angry the narrator at the start of SuperTed sounded.

"Like a piece of RUBBISH!"

Was that the guy who narrated Tugs?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

YES. Like it was the 47th take and he was supposed to go home about an hour ago. A spotty man found him!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was both bored and curious so I looked up the narrator on Wikipedia and apparently it was Peter Hawkins, who also did a lot of Dalek and Cybermen voices in the 60s, among other roles.

Having not looked up his other work to compare it, I still think it sounds like Patrick Allen, who narrated Tugs and the first series of Blackadder.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you didn’t watch Superted in the original Welsh with English subtitles, you’re a philistine.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you didn’t watch Superted in the original Welsh with English subtitles, you’re a philistine.

I used to watch it in Irish, which was equally terrible

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

NOT BEHIND THE BUS SPOTTY!

I was talking to a friend who works for BBC Wales the other day and she said they basically can't show any Superted anymore 'cos it's racist as gently caress.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Junkenstein posted:

I was talking to a friend who works for BBC Wales the other day and she said they basically can't show any Superted anymore 'cos it's racist as gently caress.

I don't think I ever actually saw SuperTed on television; it was on this three-hour video compilation tape my grandmother had which had loads of obscure cartoons on it. The Junglies, that kind of thing.

One of the ones I remember was The Fruitties, which according to Wikipedia was a Spanish show, but was translated and broadcast here. I can't remember anything from it other than the theme song, which I linked, but on the basis of that, I have a sneaking suspicion that it probably relied on a few (ahem) stereotypes.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Was superted the one with a bad guy called Texas Pete? My mate and I used to love that character because his dad was called Pete.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Wait, so an alien robot(?) brings him to life with dust but then completely separately Mother Nature gives him super powers? I didn't remember that bit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Junkenstein posted:

NOT BEHIND THE BUS SPOTTY!

I only remember the show in broad brush strokes, what was racist in it?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Escobarbarian posted:

Cunk on Britain is real good. I keep thinking the character is gonna jump the shark but it hasn’t yet

I like how she keeps using Brush Strokes as a historical point of reference.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I only remember a PSA in that cartoon that essentially was 'stop standing behind the drat bus!'

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I still get that ‘Not behind the bus, Spotty’ in my head when I do just that thing he’s warning against.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Behind the bus, like a piece of RUBBISH.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I don't think I've been more annoyed by the end of a masterchef final, what a goddamn travesty.
Kenny stole his recipes every week from whatever fancy restaurant they'd just gone to, he cooked two things in the final that were just 'the things I did at other restaurants' and somehow he won? Ugh. Also he saluted some soldiers who walked by and did a memorial of Churchill when he had to pick a hero. What a bellend.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I had not heard previously, but Bob Mortimer said on his podcast he's making a new series of Big Night Out "with Jim". Still throws me when he refers to him like that.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the ones I remember was The Fruitties, which according to Wikipedia was a Spanish show, but was translated and broadcast here. I can't remember anything from it other than the theme song, which I linked, but on the basis of that, I have a sneaking suspicion that it probably relied on a few (ahem) stereotypes.

Memories of 3am on Cartoon Network in the 90s with this irredeemable shite coming on next to Tabaluga and Blinky loving Bill, ahhhh

(It's not nearly as bad as some of the images in that four-hour intro make it seem, it's just not any good.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 14, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Not Very Good is a fair summary of pre Cartoon Cartoon era CN.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

Memories of 3am on Cartoon Network in the 90s with this irredeemable shite coming on next to Tabaluga and Blinky loving Bill, ahhhh

(It's not nearly as bad as some of the images in that four-hour intro make it seem, it's just not any good.)

Yeah, I remember both of those on Cartoon Network. The thing I remember about Tabaluga (which I believe was a German cartoon, of all things) was that his father was this gigantic ethereal dragon who lived in space and whenever he needed help he'd look up and say something like, "Watch over me, father!" so I've never been entirely sure if that dragon was supposed to be God and Tabaluga was meant to be Jesus.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Big intro, big outro. Anything to minimise the number of frames you actually have to draw per episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's like how in Teletubbies, they'd always do that bit where they'd watch a live-action segment on one of their screens, then when it finished they'd all go, "Again! Again!" and it would replay the exact same thing.

What did you call the one about the woman who flew a spotty aeroplane?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I guess nobody watched MasterChef.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Taear posted:

I guess nobody watched MasterChef.

There's only so many times you can hear Greg Wallace talk about 'a lovely playda food'.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Both of them are insufferable.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

goatface posted:

I watched the second last episode and John Torode started crying over an apple crumble mille-feuille.

Shame the camp Thai lad didn't win

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

goatface posted:

Eh he was a mild novelty with the depressingly short lived Time Commanders reboot. Man I am still bitter how short that was.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I watched the second last episode and John Torode started crying over an apple crumble mille-feuille.

Shame the camp Thai lad didn't win

That part was so incredibly strange. Although perhaps he used to cry over other stuff and they cut it out but now don't think there's anything wrong with it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve teared up over a steak before. It was the best steak I’ve ever eaten*, and food can illicit strong emotions.

*Hawksmoor Seven Dials

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve teared up over a steak before. It was the best steak I’ve ever eaten*, and food can illicit strong emotions.

*Hawksmoor Seven Dials

Hawksmoor is nice but man it's not crying food. I've been to some really fancy places and still never cried over it.

When they're cooking things that remind them of [relative] I completely see them crying over that but John's reaction just felt weird.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think I ever actually saw SuperTed on television; it was on this three-hour video compilation tape my grandmother had which had loads of obscure cartoons on it. The Junglies, that kind of thing.

Huh. I remember when Thames TV lost their franchise and got replaced by Carlton, in the build-up to the switch-over whoever was programming the block of cartoons on a Saturday morning evidently decided their job was no longer worth doing properly and just started putting the same tape in every single week. So I must've seen the same episode of the Junglies three or four weeks in a row. That's probably the only reason I remember it at all, as nothing about it was in any way memorable or good.

A visit to youtube confirms it really was grim bargain basement stuff. That theme song, Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WP8wInfcg

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Incidentally this showed up on Twitter a few months back and is good tv nerdery:

https://twitter.com/marklipscomb/status/947600896569036800?s=21

https://twitter.com/marklipscomb/status/947602417314537472?s=21

And the actual handover:

https://youtu.be/APTmtaWMpHU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's like how in Teletubbies, they'd always do that bit where they'd watch a live-action segment on one of their screens, then when it finished they'd all go, "Again! Again!" and it would replay the exact same thing.

What did you call the one about the woman who flew a spotty aeroplane?

The new Teletubbies is weird. They have babies now. I don’t even want to know how they were conceived.

Harry Hill’s Alien Fun Capsule is back. I don’t generally like panel shows but it’s pretty good.