Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Has anyone else had notifications completely stop working after updating? I'd been having intermittent problems with GCal's notifications for a while, but after this latest update my alarm just...didn't go off,and I don't have any notifications, sound or otherwise, from other apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Notifications have been a bit odd over the past month or so on my Pixel 2 XL. My wife's as well.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 12, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Notifications have been a bit odd over the past month or so on my Pixel 2 XL. My wife's a well.

Same, it's sporadic and random and weird.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Google Calendar notifications just suddenly not firing is an issue that's been around for years. I've had it happen on my Pixel 2 and on my last device.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

SRL researchers Karsten Nohl and Jakob Lell spent two years analyzing Android devices, checking to see if the phones actually had installed the security patches that the software said it had. The pair found that many devices had what they call a “patch gap,” where the phone’s software would claim it was up to date with security patches but was, in reality, missing up to a dozen of the patches.

The missed patches aren’t just an isolated incident, either. According to Wired, SRL tested firmware from 1,200 phones from companies like Google, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LTE, and TCL for every Android patch released last year. They found that even major flagships from Samsung and Sony occasionally missed a patch.

Obviously, this is bad. Whether it’s intentional or not, customers aren’t just being left vulnerable to hacks by not having the latest security updates. They’re also being lulled into a false sense of security by thinking that they are fully protected, which could lead to far more disastrous results down the line. To help with that, SRL is releasing a tool called SnoopSnitch on the Play Store that can analyze your phone’s firmware for installed or missing Android security patches to see if you’re really safe, but it really shouldn’t have had to come to this in the first place.

To be clear, not all phone manufacturers are equal when it comes to missing security patches. On average, phones from Google, Samsung, and Sony only tended to miss the occasional patch. But companies like ZTE and TCL performed far worse, with devices that claimed to have installed an average of four or more security patches than they actually did.

For Google’s part, the company commented to Wired, “We’ve launched investigations into each instance and each OEM to bring their certified devices into compliance,” and said it would be further investigating the issue. Google also tried to explain some of SRL’s findings with manufacturers skipping patches for features that they may have just removed entirely from the device or that some of the phones lacked Google’s official Android security certification in the first place. But it’s clear there’s still more work to be done.

After all, if Android device manufacturers can’t manage to update their phones, the least they could do is be honest about that fact.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Blue Train posted:

SRL researchers Karsten Nohl and Jakob Lell spent two years analyzing Android devices, checking to see if the phones actually had installed the security patches that the software said it had. The pair found that many devices had what they call a “patch gap,” where the phone’s software would claim it was up to date with security patches but was, in reality, missing up to a dozen of the patches.

The missed patches aren’t just an isolated incident, either. According to Wired, SRL tested firmware from 1,200 phones from companies like Google, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LTE, and TCL for every Android patch released last year. They found that even major flagships from Samsung and Sony occasionally missed a patch.

Obviously, this is bad. Whether it’s intentional or not, customers aren’t just being left vulnerable to hacks by not having the latest security updates. They’re also being lulled into a false sense of security by thinking that they are fully protected, which could lead to far more disastrous results down the line. To help with that, SRL is releasing a tool called SnoopSnitch on the Play Store that can analyze your phone’s firmware for installed or missing Android security patches to see if you’re really safe, but it really shouldn’t have had to come to this in the first place.

To be clear, not all phone manufacturers are equal when it comes to missing security patches. On average, phones from Google, Samsung, and Sony only tended to miss the occasional patch. But companies like ZTE and TCL performed far worse, with devices that claimed to have installed an average of four or more security patches than they actually did.

For Google’s part, the company commented to Wired, “We’ve launched investigations into each instance and each OEM to bring their certified devices into compliance,” and said it would be further investigating the issue. Google also tried to explain some of SRL’s findings with manufacturers skipping patches for features that they may have just removed entirely from the device or that some of the phones lacked Google’s official Android security certification in the first place. But it’s clear there’s still more work to be done.

After all, if Android device manufacturers can’t manage to update their phones, the least they could do is be honest about that fact.

The app they released is broken. :v:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

There was a whole thing about this with LineageOS as well, and how if you installed it on an obsolete device to continue getting security patches, you might not be getting what you think you're getting.

Some of the patches come at the kernel level, some are at the Android framework level, and they're separate source trees. The "patch level" date comes out of the framework tree, so if they don't also patch the kernel according to the issues noted in the security bulletin, the patch level date is essentially a lie.

Lineage has a tracker to show what of their supported devices were missing patches. Evidently for LineageOS' case, the onus is on the device tree maintainer to patch the kernel and report that the individual CVEs are addressed. If you're an OEM shipping Android devices that's obviously also your own job to deal with.

I wonder if this is similar with these vendors, that they're not properly applying kernel patches for each given security bulletin. I haven't read all the security bulletins, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were entirely comprised of kernel patches, so just blindly rebuilding might result in bumping the date with no real patches applied.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

All the available Moto G5+ phones on Amazon come with their stupid "exclusive" spyware. I'm seeing how this is a particularly bad time to have a phone fail.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I've recently switched mobile networks and ported my old number, but in Settings it's still showing as the phone number the SIM originally came with.

Is this anything I can amend myself? I've confirmed my number is correctly ported (by calling myself, naturally), and my data connection is in working order. I've also tried restarting my Pixel 2 a few times, but it's stubbornly stuck showing the old number in Settings.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

ThermoPhysical posted:

The app they released is broken. :v:
Seems to be working here.

Results on my G5+ were 1 missing and 11 inconclusive compared to claimed patch level (January, lol).

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Nocturtle posted:

All the available Moto G5+ phones on Amazon come with their stupid "exclusive" spyware. I'm seeing how this is a particularly bad time to have a phone fail.

It's just a lockscreen ad and it uninstalls itself after a predetermined time period and it's a good deal but still don't buy a G5+ in April 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FistEnergy posted:

It's just a lockscreen ad and it uninstalls itself after a predetermined time period and it's a good deal but still don't buy a G5+ in April 2018

There was no lockscreen on mine, just a bunch of shovelware. Notably absent in the shovelware was FB, and all disabled with Package Disabler Pro, which isn't strictly necessary but it felt good to do

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Average missing patches per device from each manufacturer
0 or 1 - Google, Samsung, and Sony
1 to 3 - Xiaomi, OnePlus, and Nokia
3 to 4 - HTC, Huawei, LG, and Motorola
4 or more - TCL and ZTE

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:rip:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Woot has certified refurb Pixel 2 (Verizon version so locked bootloader but otherwise working on all carriers) in all storage sizes and colors right now starting at $499.

You can do a lot lot worse for $500.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bull3964 posted:

Woot has certified refurb Pixel 2 (Verizon version so locked bootloader but otherwise working on all carriers) in all storage sizes and colors right now starting at $499.

You can do a lot lot worse for $500.

You lose the 2 year Google warranty in this situation, correct?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maneki Neko posted:

You lose the 2 year Google warranty in this situation, correct?

Correct, you only have the 90 day Woot warranty.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got a refurbished Pixel 1 from woot a month or so back for $325 and it had almost no signs of wear. I am concerned about the lack of warranty support but if something breaks I'll probably just fix it myself.

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014
I got a galaxy s9+ last week because I wanted to spend money. After a few days of playing with it, I am struggling to find the $840 of benefit it has over my moto g4 plus. The screen is nice? The new battery is nice but that does not count. I rarely take photos so I don't care too much about the nice camera. I even prefer how moto's ambient display shows a clock timer and the full notifications where samsung's always on display just has a tiny icon. I'm seriously thinking of returning it. There is the pixel 2 xl. I think I'll miss the headphone jack, maybe.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Opiumden34 posted:

I got a galaxy s9+ last week because I wanted to spend money. After a few days of playing with it, I am struggling to find the $840 of benefit it has over my moto g4 plus. The screen is nice? The new battery is nice but that does not count. I rarely take photos so I don't care too much about the nice camera. I even prefer how moto's ambient display shows a clock timer and the full notifications where samsung's always on display just has a tiny icon. I'm seriously thinking of returning it. There is the pixel 2 xl. I think I'll miss the headphone jack, maybe.

The difference between high end and mid range is literally just the screen and camera. So if you don't care about the screen and camera, then there are other phones that are higher value.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/04/12/android-manufacturers-lie-security-updates/

So it turns out that some developers were lying about patch level. :confuoot:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Rexxed posted:

I got a refurbished Pixel 1 from woot a month or so back for $325 and it had almost no signs of wear. I am concerned about the lack of warranty support but if something breaks I'll probably just fix it myself.

If it breaks just take it to the Google store

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/04/12/android-manufacturers-lie-security-updates/

So it turns out that some developers were lying about patch level. :confuoot:

We know ;)

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Does anyone else have the problem of their Pixel 2 (both non and XL versions) causing either their router to disconnect ALL wifi clients or making their router reboot entirely?

Because I do... I thought my router was on the fritz, but I just figured out tonight it happens whenever my phone connects. It actually causes my router to completely reboot, sometimes 2-3 times in a row. Have verified it happens on my Asus RT-AC66U, a friends 68U, and another friends' Netgear 3200.

And I am not alone: https://productforums.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!topic/phone-by-google/E7sQJOTnXNk;context-place=forum/phone-by-google

So basically I can't use Wifi on my Pixel 2 at all, because it will kill any router it connects to.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

No issues with my onhub.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

stevewm posted:

Does anyone else have the problem of their Pixel 2 (both non and XL versions) causing either their router to disconnect ALL wifi clients or making their router reboot entirely?

Because I do... I thought my router was on the fritz, but I just figured out tonight it happens whenever my phone connects. It actually causes my router to completely reboot, sometimes 2-3 times in a row. Have verified it happens on my Asus RT-AC66U, a friends 68U, and another friends' Netgear 3200.

And I am not alone: https://productforums.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!topic/phone-by-google/E7sQJOTnXNk;context-place=forum/phone-by-google

So basically I can't use Wifi on my Pixel 2 at all, because it will kill any router it connects to.

I work in IT and have my pixel 2 XL connecting to all types of routers and APs and have never experienced this issue. There was a known problem with Google home and home minis that was causing a saturation of wireless which would cause similar issues to what you're describing but it has since been fixed.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

couldcareless posted:

I work in IT and have my pixel 2 XL connecting to all types of routers and APs and have never experienced this issue. There was a known problem with Google home and home minis that was causing a saturation of wireless which would cause similar issues to what you're describing but it has since been fixed.

Yeah, I know about that issue.. The Nexus Player was actually affected by that one too.. It would randomly flood the network with Bonjour/mDNS broadcasts. A Google Play services update fixed it.

But this wifi thing seems to be a separate issue entirely based on the amount of reports I've found on the internet about it. Google's own product forums have a few threads about it, that linked one being the biggest.

Mine got worse with the recently released April update.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Ah missed that post. Thank you.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Is this issue about mobile data always active still relevant? I've had my Pixel 2XL for about two weeks now and I just plowed through my data warning while in a Skype call... Even though I was connected to WiFi at the time. Sure enough, that developer setting was active, so I turned it off.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jan posted:

Is this issue about mobile data always active still relevant? I've had my Pixel 2XL for about two weeks now and I just plowed through my data warning while in a Skype call... Even though I was connected to WiFi at the time. Sure enough, that developer setting was active, so I turned it off.

Holy poo poo. Pixel 2XL fresh off a factory reset and:

Last month I blew through my 10GB data cap and couldn't figure out why. This is loving it, thank you!!!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Last month I blew through my 10GB data cap and couldn't figure out why. This is loving it, thank you!!!

That's just it, I don't know if this explains it.

Even while that setting was active, I still pulled 30GB over WiFi to my paltry 2GB over data... So what determines when data was used for that 2 GB?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I wouldn't assume that setting's for sure the issue. Mine's on and data usage has been 40 gb over wifi and 200 mb over cell network the past month. The Reddit thread about it from like 8 months ago has lots of counter-anecdotes. In any case, that's definitely not how it's supposed to be working, it's just keeping the modem active to enable fast handoff between wifi and cell, not to keep pulling data over cell despite being connected to wifi.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Well poo poo. Something has to be weird with the setting though, I've never blown through my data cap before and my usage pattern was normal. I wish there was an easy way to diagnose.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Does nothing show up under Data Usage? I would expect you to be able to go to the Data Usage screen and see how much data your apps are using.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah I've had that setting on for ever and my data usage is fine, you could even say it's nice

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

xiaomi's gaming phone
$477 with a snapdragon 845 + $30 controller

doubt it has bands to work anywhere outside china, though

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Nokia 7 Plus seems to be trickling into german stores at 350 Euros, hope that's not a pricing error.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If that's right, my wife is getting my P9. 350€ would be loving awesome but I still think it'll be around 450€.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, pricing for the 7 plus just got announced in my neck of the woods and price conversion has it at about €343.

I'm just about sure this will be my next phone since my 6P's battery life is getting pretty bad and I've been looking for a midrange equivalent to the Pixel 2 XL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The 7 plus is a decent phone but why not just get an 8 plus or an X at this point?