Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't seen him do any biting but he still does the extra joint manipulation stuff on holds, and Takeover was the first time I noticed him do the arm clap finger break.

Shayna has been doing a finger break stomp too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

"Get a Good Match out of Braun Stroman" makes you a good wrestler.
"Having 4 lacklustre Wrestlemania Main events in a row" makes you a bad figurehead.
"Having to go halfway around the world just to find a crowd that will cheer you." Makes you a bad figurehead.
"Getting the Rock booed" makes you a bad figurehead.

I don't know. Maybe the problem is with the concept of a figurehead. At least in the US.

Or maybe the problem is with the silent majority who don't go to shows and buy all of Roman's merch because he looks the part and kids are impressionable.

(The first Brock match was pretty short and the only thing Roman did was get his rear end kicked and laugh)

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"the only thing he did was take bumps and sell" doesn't really mean what you think it does. as someone else said, the easiest thing to do in a wrestling match is kick rear end while the other guy sells all your poo poo

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

No, but it does make for a short, 1 sided match.
And that was his best outing.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I haven't seen him do any biting but he still does the extra joint manipulation stuff on holds, and Takeover was the first time I noticed him do the arm clap finger break.

Shayna has been doing a finger break stomp too.

My first exposure to Dunne was the UK tournament, and there's a really weird edit where he's got Tyler Bate locked up on the mat, and you can very briefly see him pull his mouth guard out, and then nothing comes of it. I thought he was going to shove it in Tyler's mouth or something. Beyond that, thought I saw him biting on NXT at least once, but then again I do drink quite a bit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dunne had done the biting before, the spot there was supposed to be that Bate thought the bite was coming and that opened him up to let Dunne get a move in on him.

When Dunne fought Gargano a few months back he pretended his mouthguard fell out, but really did it to bite Johnny to escape the GargaNo Escape.

Shortly after Johnny noticed the missing mouthguard and superkicked him in the teeth.

If he still bites I don't think it's nearly as often.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gavok posted:

Hogan vs. Slaughter is the dullest, sloggiest Hogan match at WrestleMania, but it lacks the outright stupidity of the Sid match. It's bottom ten, but not bottom five.

It did have one of the worst submission spots I've ever seen where Slaughter had Hogan in the Boston Crab, parallel to the ropes. The ropes were like four inches to the side of Hogan and he spent way too long not trying to escape the hold. Regis was on commentary and wondered aloud why Hogan wasn't reaching for those ropes for the very easy break. Eventually, Hogan very easily grabbed the rope and that was that.

We watched this about a week ago at the bar, and my drunk rear end yelled at the tv over this.

Was there ever a televised Warrior/Taker match. I remember wanting to see that so bad when I was a kid.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"the only thing he did was take bumps and sell" doesn't really mean what you think it does. as someone else said, the easiest thing to do in a wrestling match is kick rear end while the other guy sells all your poo poo

Why does Roman always make it look so hard with his dumbass jumping punch, then?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Was there ever a televised Warrior/Taker match. I remember wanting to see that so bad when I was a kid.

Only if you count the MSG Network. Here's the aforementioned MSG Warrior/Taker bodybag match.

Looking at YouTube, there's also a casket match between the two that happened in Rochester. I don't know where or how it was released, but the footage features multiple camera angles and no commentary.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

The guy who got the best matches by far out of Braun is average at best, gotcha. Not just the best matches, star making matches.

That's apples to oranges. No one else got to do all those stunts with Braun. The Big Show matches were about as good too, doesn't mean Big Show is above average.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Web Jew.0 posted:

That's apples to oranges. No one else got to do all those stunts with Braun. The Big Show matches were about as good too, doesn't mean Big Show is above average.

Big Show in decent health is quite good and very capable of great big man matches, see his series with Undertaker in 2008.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

It was on a Coliseum Home Video tape - Rampage 1991.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

VJeff posted:

Why does Roman always make it look so hard with his dumbass jumping punch, then?

Also his regular punches

And that arm spot in the shoulder where he goes in for repeated hugs

And any time he has to lift someone

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

MassRafTer posted:

Big Show in decent health is quite good and very capable of great big man matches, see his series with Undertaker in 2008.
There's truth to that, but your example is also 10 years old.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

frankenfreak posted:

There's truth to that, but your example is also 10 years old.

I was replying to an example from a few months ago. I mean he goes through phases where he's horribly out of shape and stinks, then gets in shape and is good and then it repeats. I mean the guy had to get out of the business (mostly) for a year in 2007 because he'd been so worn down in the previous decade (and to try and box.) He had a good run in 08, then the Jerishow run, then I honestly don't remember a ton until Braun but there's probably stuff in there since it is late and I'm tired.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

MassRafTer posted:

I was replying to an example from a few months ago. I mean he goes through phases where he's horribly out of shape and stinks, then gets in shape and is good and then it repeats. I mean the guy had to get out of the business (mostly) for a year in 2007 because he'd been so worn down in the previous decade (and to try and box.) He had a good run in 08, then the Jerishow run, then I honestly don't remember a ton until Braun but there's probably stuff in there since it is late and I'm tired.

He had like eight turns. Maybe more. And the crying.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Big Show had great matches with Brock Lesnar in 2002/2003.

Of course, it was overshadowed by Brock's work in the time period with Taker, Angle, and Benoit.
But Big Show was probably babyface Brock's best opponent since he was pretty much the only heel at the time that could take all of Brock's offense and still look like a threat.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

roman and big show are good wrestlers who are booked poorly

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Roman is an okay upper midcarder pushed as the face of the company to everyone's detriment, putting him in the esteemed ranks of Jeff Jarrett and Shane Douglas.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Stfu about Roman.

What was the incident Dave alluded to about Alicia Fox with Browne? Before their fight...

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Roman is an okay upper midcarder pushed as the face of the company to everyone's detriment, putting him in the esteemed ranks of Jeff Jarrett and Shane Douglas.
Roman is a perfectly good main eventer just not a good choice for ace, especially after the well got poisoned in 2015

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Roman is a perfectly good main eventer just not a good choice for ace, especially after the well got poisoned in 2015

The real problem is the well poisoning. He'd have been grand if he went to Smackdown with the Usos, was heel when they turned for a bit, then turned with them. Come back to Raw with a head of steam and not being in the Shield.

At least, imo.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's the loving vest

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I thought we went over this, the vest is necessary to hide his shameful back.

Anyway, Roman is a good top (de facto) heel and Strowman is a good top (de facto) babyface and both of them draw money and both of them are good now. Roman in particular has been involved in multiple MOTY candidates over the past five and a half years, and he’s easily the best solo wrestler out of the Shield. He’s a genuinely good wrestler and he doesn’t deserve half the poo poo that gets said about him, and frankly he has every right to deliver heel promos and act like a top heel when the crowds are that poo poo to him. He doesn’t need to turn heel if he already is one.

Strowman took a while to find his edge, but I do agree that his matches against Roman made him look like a star. Since then he’s been good at his role as Big Guy Who‘s Not Finished With You, and he’s a face with the crowd by the sheer virtue of not being Roman Reigns. I don’t see him being Universal Champion for a while now, definitely not before Reigns and (hopefully) Ambrose, but if he can keep doing what he’s doing and doing it well, he’ll be absolutely fine.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Roman's been in exactly one MOTY candidate match from 2017 thru now that wasn't a multi-man.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Venomous posted:

I thought we went over this, the vest is necessary to hide his shameful back.

Anyway, Roman is a good top (de facto) heel and Strowman is a good top (de facto) babyface and both of them draw money and both of them are good now. Roman in particular has been involved in multiple MOTY candidates over the past five and a half years, and he’s easily the best solo wrestler out of the Shield. He’s a genuinely good wrestler and he doesn’t deserve half the poo poo that gets said about him, and frankly he has every right to deliver heel promos and act like a top heel when the crowds are that poo poo to him. He doesn’t need to turn heel if he already is one.

Strowman took a while to find his edge, but I do agree that his matches against Roman made him look like a star. Since then he’s been good at his role as Big Guy Who‘s Not Finished With You, and he’s a face with the crowd by the sheer virtue of not being Roman Reigns. I don’t see him being Universal Champion for a while now, definitely not before Reigns and (hopefully) Ambrose, but if he can keep doing what he’s doing and doing it well, he’ll be absolutely fine.

He's the worst in-ring worker out of the Shield, and it's not even loving close.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I find them all Problematic® in their own ways. Dean's sloppy as hell, Seth is too much MOVEZ for the sake of MOVEZ and Roman doesn't have much in the arsenal, you know?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
dean got extremely lazy before he got hurt. maybe he'll come back with some fire, i dunno. maybe he injured his arm in a way that its stuck like the kid from rookie in the year so when he goes to do the rebound lariat he really gets some fuckin torque goin on that rebound.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gonna do the famous MRT trick of picking one random metric to prove a point and say: Dean had the best match with Old Man HHH out of the 3 Shield dudes and it’s not even close

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

Dean had the best match with Old Man HHH out of the 3 Shield dudes and it’s not even close

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol, when has Roman ever been in a MotY candidate?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

Roman's been in exactly one MOTY candidate match from 2017 thru now that wasn't a multi-man.

Hardly anyone else on the main roster (excluding 205 Live) has had an MOTY candidate from 2017 through now that wasn’t a multi-man so this is kind of a moot point

Randaconda posted:

He's the worst in-ring worker out of the Shield, and it's not even loving close.

Dean’s offense is awful and Seth is an unsafe, overrated worker. Roman all the way.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Gonna do the famous MRT trick of picking one random metric to prove a point and say: Dean had the best match with Old Man HHH out of the 3 Shield dudes and it’s not even close

true

VJeff posted:

lol, when has Roman ever been in a MotY candidate?

if you’re not being disingenuous here:

Roman/Bryan at Fastlane 2015
Roman/Brock (until Seth interrupted) at Wrestlemania 31
Roman/Big Show at Extreme Rules 2015
Roman/Cesaro on the 16/11/15 Raw
Roman/AJ at Extreme Rules 2016
Roman/KO at Royal Rumble 2017

and countless other tag matches and multi-mans that supposedly don’t count but go off I guess

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

:gas:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Speaking of unsafe workers, was Stan Hansen considered unsafe? I know he's blind and will beat the poo poo out of you, but did he hurt anyone apart from Bruno

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

You have seen his match with Vader, right?

(Other than that, I haven’t heard much else about him being particularly unsafe to work with, at least no more than most folks).

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I mean... The only reason Hansen gouged Vader's eye out was because he accidentally broke Vader's orbital bone because he attacked him while he still had his entrance helmet on. Vader didn't want to ware the helmet for just that reason, but Inoki made him wear the helmet anyways, so, really, it's Inoki's fault.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Either Hansen could work like a motherfucker or else he just threw the lariat with no fucks given and according to stories nobody liked taking them.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Venomous posted:

Hardly anyone else on the main roster (excluding 205 Live) has had an MOTY candidate from 2017 through now that wasn’t a multi-man so this is kind of a moot point

Dean’s offense is awful and Seth is an unsafe, overrated worker. Roman all the way.

true

if you’re not being disingenuous here:

Roman/Bryan at Fastlane 2015
Roman/Brock (until Seth interrupted) at Wrestlemania 31
Roman/Big Show at Extreme Rules 2015
Roman/Cesaro on the 16/11/15 Raw
Roman/AJ at Extreme Rules 2016
Roman/KO at Royal Rumble 2017

and countless other tag matches and multi-mans that supposedly don’t count but go off I guess

I'm assuming you mean, moty excluding non WWE promotions because lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
All of the incredible wrestling in the last two years and a a pair of overbooked spotfests with AJ and Owens are MotY candidates. Good gravy.

This is why I can never figure out how I feel about Roman, someone will say he's a worthless sack of crap and I'll be like hey now come on he's just badly utilized he's a talented guy and then somebody tries to tell me that he has the best TV matches in the company or that freaking AJ Styles Extreme Rules match was anything special and I wanna throw Roman off a cliff into a herd of wildebeests Mufasa style.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TheCool69 posted:

Either Hansen could work like a motherfucker or else he just threw the lariat with no fucks given and according to stories nobody liked taking them.

According to anecdotal stories, Hansen has really bad eyesight, so he just throws the lariat as hard as he can at the blob coming towards him. It's the only way to make sure it looks good