Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You're answering criticism for a thing you haven't listened to.

Pollyanna's post specifically referred to episode 5 though and talked about the mini-arc, so I was mostly responding to that.

At any rate, I'm about halfway through ep 6 now and the one-on-one stuff is some pretty fun back and forth between the players and Griffin building out their characters and Kepler/Sylvain, so that just supports my point that he seems pretty open to what the guys want to do and tries to incorporate that into the story he wants to tell. I really liked Justin's little bits about the people living in the apartment complex.

It's not as free-form as early Balance but I think it's a good middle ground so far and I'm interested to see where it goes now that the story and world will have more room to breathe.

Nuebot posted:

People keep framing complaints like this, but I haven't seen a single one actually say it. No one's saying Griffin is somehow becoming an ego maniac that ones to steal center stage. People are just saying this new super narrative heavy style is really boring, even if everyone involved is all for it.

No one's flat out said it like that but there have been a number of posts before that like, lean weirdly heavily into the idea. They even addressed it somewhat in TTAZZ. I'm not sayin people shouldn't have negative opinions or criticize TAZ it's just the way its framed sometimes seems like unnecessary justifications for not liking the current tone of the show. And it seems to come up with some kind of regularity so that's probably why people inadvertantly conflate that with legitimate criticism.

Anyway, in retrospect I probably should have worded my post better. I wasn't really saying Pollyanna making those kinds of claims, their criticism was perfectly valid. But my original point more had to do with how I didn't really get why people were saying Griffin never allowed things to happen, when to me it seemed like he was constantly asking people what they thought should happen and how. But I guess I kind of got off track during the post since I was also thinking about this thread's previous history and why people get snappy about the negative stuff.

I don't think we're ever gonna get away from this stuff completely just becuase people like different things about TAZ and it can't really be everything to everyone all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

hey guys MBMBaM is still a very good and funny show :)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

^ 400 was loving amazing

Building a world through one-on-ones diminishes the collaborative nature of the game, which I find a little disappointing. It’s the difference between Taako and Merle pulling crazy poo poo to save Magnus from the Astral plane, and Magnus having a flashback to a previous training that establishes some power he has to come back on his own. It’s much less dynamic, and it feels like the characters act independently rather than as a group.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Building a world through one-on-ones diminishes the collaborative nature of the game, which I find a little disappointing. It’s the difference between Taako and Merle pulling crazy poo poo to save Magnus from the Astral plane, and Magnus having a flashback to a previous training that establishes some power he has to come back on his own. It’s much less dynamic, and it feels like the characters act independently rather than as a group.

It's not like they're going to do one-on-ones every episode though? They did them at the beginning of most of the Balance arcs too, it was a good way to catch up on each character and what they were up to and have some fun with it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I used to be a little annoyed at the extensive one-on-one scenes, but now that I've run Blades in the Dark I see where they fit in. Sometimes you just have a scene with one character focusing on their poo poo. And advanced technique is to give the other players a role in the scene as bit characters, and I think the McElroys could handle it well. Think of the good goofs from the press conference scene in Stolen Century.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nuebot posted:

People are just saying this new super narrative heavy style is really boring, even if everyone involved is all for it.

Here's the thing, though... that's a subjective opinion. So we don't need paragraphs upon paragraphs proving the point behind someone's opinion.

Like, what's the point? Trying to prove to other people that they should find it boring as well?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 13, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Because I want to share.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

thexerox123 posted:

Here's the thing, though... that's a subjective opinion. So we don't need paragraphs upon paragraphs proving the point behind someone's opinion.

Like, what's the point? Trying to prove to other people that they should find it boring as well?

Yeah, what IS the point of talking about your opinions? This thread should be nothing but cold, hard, FACTS about the McElroys and with no praise or complaints or discussion. I'll start:

Griffin thinks dogs should vote.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Xad posted:

Yeah, what IS the point of talking about your opinions? This thread should be nothing but cold, hard, FACTS about the McElroys and with no praise or complaints or discussion. I'll start:

Griffin thinks dogs should vote.

There's a difference between posting opinions and posting a persuasive essay about your opinions, treating them as fact.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

thexerox123 posted:

There's a difference between posting opinions and posting a persuasive essay about your opinions.

Yeah, one fosters discussion, one does not. It's a lot easier to have a conversation about something if it's a little more than just "I like x" "I do not like x" "Ok"

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Xad posted:

Yeah, one fosters discussion, one does not. It's a lot easier to have a conversation about something if it's a little more than just "I like x" "I do not like x" "Ok"

Yes, what great discussions these past two pages have been, so fun to read

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

thexerox123 posted:

You can always not read or post.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

You can always not read or post.

No, but see, I found the thread good at one point, so obviously if it changes at all I should go on and on complaining about it!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

thexerox123 posted:

Sorry not everybody in here is agreeing with you and providing you a safe space to post?

Here's some milquetoast to cool off this super spicy thread that offends me:

"Amnesty is OK."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jesus, I didn’t realize only one kind of opinion and discussion was allowed here. I’m not saying everyone should believe the same things I do, I’m just giving my own feedback and trying to foster discussion.

And I’m not saying Amnesty is bad, it’s just less interesting to me than every other arc.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

thexerox123 posted:

No, but see, I found the thread good at one point, so obviously if it changes at all I should go on and on complaining about it!

You are completely within your rights to not like something if it changes and voice your opinion thusly, but you're just being a colossal rear end in a top hat about it right now

Also getting back to actually talking about McElroy stuff: I think I have similar feelings about Amnesty re: Pollyanna. I like the story and the world and characters and stuff, but I wish it sounded less like a radio play. I get that that's what Travis/Clint/Justin are fine with, but I personally want them to be able to embellish a little more on their actions, sometimes it really feels like Griffin's reading a story and they get to fill in adjectives sometimes.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Pollyanna posted:

And I’m not saying Amnesty is bad, it’s just less interesting to me than every other arc.

You literally said it's boring as hell and said you were going to stop listening. Sounds to me like you think it's bad.

e: if you want a break from Amnesty chat like I do, there's a new Monster Factory up, nerds

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 13, 2018

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Sorry not everybody in here is agreeing with you and providing you a safe space to post?

Pollyanna posted:

Jesus, I didn't realize only one kind of opinion and discussion was allowed here.

Hmmm, yes, you both nailed it, those aren't strawmen at all.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Hey here’s a thought why don’t y’all contribute what you liked about Amnesty episode 6 instead of being weird taskmasters of the message board thread

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Colonel Whitey posted:

You literally said it's boring as hell and said you were going to stop listening. Sounds to me like you think it's bad.

e: if you want a break from Amnesty chat like I do, there's a new Monster Factory up, nerds

Just cuz it doesn’t work for me, doesn’t mean it doesn’t work for everyone :shrug:

misadventurous posted:

Hey here’s a thought why don’t y’all contribute what you liked about Amnesty episode 6 instead of being weird taskmasters of the message board thread

I don’t remember much of ep 6, but in general: I like the setting and the monsters; I like the dynamic between Ned and Kirby, and Ned and Barclay; I like Bendy the Sword and how he annoys Duck; I like Nana and Danni and all the monster residents of the Lodge; and I love how Aubrey is a bisexual WoC (though I’m not sure of her as a character).

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 13, 2018

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

The McElroy Thread: Civil War

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Yes, actually, you dipshit

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Amnesty was great and the only one of the test arcs I liked (other than of course Justin's masterwork). Dust was... fine, but I'd much rather listen to Amnesty than to a whole series of it.

Griffin is a wonderful DM and I really enjoy listening to him setting out the framework of the story. I completely understand what people's complaints are, but I think many of you are letting the perfect be the enemy of the good - Griffin isn't going to change his DMing style in the way you want. I feel like this thread has been complaining about TAZ since the Lost Century arc, and honestly? It is a little dull for those of us who still enjoy it. But hey, not trying to police the thread, just sayin'.

As to what I liked? The three PCs are great, and played extremely well by the brothers; the world is interesting and has lots of room to explore cool concepts; there's a lovely feeling to starting a proper long-haul adventure again after so many short shots; I think taking itself more seriously makes it easier for the PCs to roleplay well; and it still made me laugh.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
:siren: monster factory :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn0-8IqxYsI

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Pollyanna posted:

Just cuz it doesn’t work for me, doesn’t mean it doesn’t work for everyone :shrug:

Oh I'm not saying that you're wrong for feeling that way, you're just downplaying your own comments on the matter. I think you've made your position exceptionally clear, and did so quite a while ago.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Oh I'm not saying that you're wrong for feeling that way, you're just downplaying your own comments on the matter. I think you've made your position exceptionally clear, and did so quite a while ago.

I was definitely bored by eps 2~6, that’s for sure. I’m not denying that. Just that that’s only what I felt.

Stumiester posted:

feel like this thread has been complaining about TAZ since the Lost Century arc, and honestly? It is a little dull for those of us who still enjoy it. But hey, not trying to police the thread, just sayin'.

I actually really liked Stolen Century, but that’s because we had already been introduced to the characters and become attached to them - at that point, I felt that they had earned the chance to get introspective and navel-gazey, so I was ok with it. Plus, with Taako, Lup, and Merle, the goofs kept on coming, and we had 7+ characters all in a group to bounce off of. Amnesty started out navel-gazey and serious, and the characters are often separated and rarely in a large group, so it doesn’t feel as dynamic, fun or exciting.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 13, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

q != e

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Thanks for the recommendation! Gonna check this out and probably re-listen to the old TAZ stuff. Really not feeling the new ones they're putting out. I want goofy fantasy stuff not story-time with Griffin.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Replace all posts with "Dogs should vote."

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I think the most important part of episode 6 of Amnesty was them realizing they hadn't done enough rolls in the first arc to gain any significant xp. I think it's headed in a good direction as long as they keep actually rolling (online) dice. The randomness is a core part of the format and as long as they continue to embrace it I'm happy.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not having as much fun listening to Amnesty as I did with Balance, but I'm willing to see where it goes.

I liked Aubrey being in the background shouting about candelabras during what was basically Ned's one-on-one.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Amnesty is better than Dust and far better than Commitment. It is good that it's the main thing and that returns to those weaker series will just be between main episodes. But also that the offweek system still lets people who were way into those get their fix in, between Adventure Zone proper.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 13, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I get the complaints about Amnesty but also none of what people complained about has bothered me any way at all so I really don't have a horse in this race.

Except that I hate nearly every TAZ alternative someone else has suggested in this thread.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

justin is right to be horrified about the eyes and teeth. they look like those videos where you dub in a mouth and eyes over a still image. terrifying!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blockhouse posted:

Except that I hate nearly every TAZ alternative someone else has suggested in this thread.

IMO, TAZ succeeded where other goofy D&D podcasts kinda didn’t because of a few things:

1. It’s the McElroys and they’re geniuses at improv, banter, and goofs
2. They allow each other to get their words out and don’t constantly speak/laugh over each other or compete for attention, so you can keep track of the flow of conversation
3. Griffin knows how to edit well and use music+SFX such that it doesn’t interfere with the audio
4. They are serious about putting together a good product and something that is easy to listen to

They’re just good at making podcasts. NAD&DP and Dragon Friends are noisy, pimped out with SFX, everyone talks and laughs over each other, and you have no loving clue what’s going on. That’s not a good podcast, IMO.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

both of those are funnier than taz on a regular basis but taz actually has writing and characters to get attached to, plus better production. personally i value humor over most of that stuff so i've gradually fallen off taz though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m sure they’re funny as hell, but they’re hard to audibly parse in a way that TAZ was easy. Plus, it’s a very different kind of humor that I haven’t gelled with yet.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dragon Friends is fun enough, it's just no TAZ.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dragon friends is exceptionally rough for the entirety of the first season unfortunately. It does get better in season 2 (still no TAZ, but genuinely listenable) but imo you can’t really skip S1, it establishes a lot of relationship dynamics (ie why everyone is mad at Hing all the time) and fun callbacks that make the jokes in S2+ more satisfying.

They do still drink lots though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

we need a new vegas monster factory