Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It could be because the people who like the show like Ash and don’t mind if he’s not the ultimate Pokémon trainer.

I actually think Ash is a very good trainer, he’s extremely empathetic to his Pokémon and quick thinking. He gets to the top of tournaments consistently.

He’s just also the protagonist of a long running kids show that needs to advertise the new region at the end of every series. So yeah, he’s doomed to failure, but that’s not the point of the anime to me.

Edit: like obviously if you don’t like Ash and don’t have a ton of nostalgia for the anime, you aren’t going to like the anime as an adult. You probably don’t like other kids shows either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A lot of his Pokémon don’t evolve because their characters aren’t suited for it. Take his Gible. It evolving would basically be like killing it. It’s a little blue moron who bites everything it sees and unintentionally tries to kill Piplup with its Draco Meteor. If it evolved into a Garchomp, it couldn’t do things like gnaw on his trainer’s head or stare with its wide, empty gaze full of nothing but a desire to consume raw steel. It’d be forced into the role of a “bad rear end”.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

It could be because the people who like the show like Ash and don’t mind if he’s not the ultimate Pokémon trainer.

I actually think Ash is a very good trainer, he’s extremely empathetic to his Pokémon and quick thinking. He gets to the top of tournaments consistently.

He’s just also the protagonist of a long running kids show that needs to advertise the new region at the end of every series. So yeah, he’s doomed to failure, but that’s not the point of the anime to me.

Edit: like obviously if you don’t like Ash and don’t have a ton of nostalgia for the anime, you aren’t going to like the anime as an adult. You probably don’t like other kids shows either.

I grew up with Ash and got sick of him. Such is life.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Flopsy posted:

I grew up with Ash and got sick of him. Such is life.

I stopped watching after Ash lost in the Indigo league. I don't think it would hurt the show to have Ash win the leagues but that's just me.

I dragged my parents to see Pokemon the First Movie in theaters though. I think I was 8, and I probably still have that promo Mew trading card somewhere. I think I tried to use it in a pokemon tgc deck at some point.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He’s won two of them but everyone keeps using mental gymnastics to say why they don’t count.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is he even doing leagues anymore? Haven't watched it in ages but from what snippets I've caught he's now going to school/cosplaying as a Power Ranger.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He’s taking part in the island challenge. He’s just going to school in between everything and dealing with Ultra Beasts on occasion.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CascadeBeta posted:

I stopped watching after Ash lost in the Indigo league. I don't think it would hurt the show to have Ash win the leagues but that's just me.

I dragged my parents to see Pokemon the First Movie in theaters though. I think I was 8, and I probably still have that promo Mew trading card somewhere. I think I tried to use it in a pokemon tgc deck at some point.

Oh man same, I got tired of him at the beginning of Gen three. It just sunk in at that point nothing was ever going to change, this was going to be the plot forever. And hey, I got bored and left. Games are still good tho. Love those. It's just at this point I don't blame the anime for being what it is, I think a lot of writers for mon shows are poo poo. Not all of em' but most so my expectations aren't super high anymore. I just like to wistfully bitch about what could be every now and again. And no I don't want any edgelord business just a different plot with compelling characters. I'd watch the poo poo out of a show about Guzma finding himself after Sun and Moon and becoming a kickass big brother for the player character and the other kids. That would be sweet. Watching Ash reinvent himself and lose take #23,000 doesn't exactly do anything for me. OH! A national geographic-esque pokemon show would be AMAZING

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

My favourite Pokemon anime bit was Ash in the Sinnoh league, where he'd beaten all of the rivals he'd made over the series and was at last in the finals.

So the writers had him lose to some broody nobody who came out of nowhere with a Darkrai and Latios.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blooming Brilliant posted:

My favourite Pokemon anime bit was Ash in the Sinnoh league, where he'd beaten all of the rivals he'd made over the series and was at last in the finals.

So the writers had him lose to some broody nobody who came out of nowhere with a Darkrai and Latios.

That one was indeed the ultimate bullshit. But the XY loss came close simply because they had hyped everyone up he actually had a chance as opposed to the usual apathy.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i didnt really care for the xy league battles tbh. it was too short. sinnoh league did it best with bringing back a bunch of his previous pokemon and having more battles. unova was the worst though

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Looker is a bad name for a human being

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Look, no one says you have to like the anime or even Ash as a character. The thing is what I linked is, again, super low hanging fruit that serves to piss on an actual milestone on the franchise. It's about as derelict as writing about why Scrappy Doo is the worst character ever conceived, and it's wrong about what it's trying to write about to boot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't watch the show but I don't really see why him being the protagonist means he needs to fail forever. Even in GSC we see that being a champion doesn't mean you have to stop exploring or even taking other gym challenges

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ignite Memories posted:

Looker is a bad name for a human being

It's a code name though

Officer Handsome Looker, of the International Police, he who can climb waterfalls with his bare hands and does most of his work without the help of pokemon

his Post-Game quests in XY and SM are probably some of the best parts of those games

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't watch the show, but I think it's perfectly fine that the protagonist doesn't end up being world champion of the one sport in which literally everyone participates.

E: I'd totes watch a show starring certified cool person Looker, or best champion Alder.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

He’s won two of them but everyone keeps using mental gymnastics to say why they don’t count.

which two were those? orange islands and ???

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
Battle Frontier

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't watch the show, but I think it's perfectly fine that the protagonist doesn't end up being world champion of the one sport in which literally everyone participates.

E: I'd totes watch a show starring certified cool person Looker, or best champion Alder.

Imagine not every one participates and there's other things to do. But we continuously follow a contender who you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is never going to be allowed to win because that wouldn't be toeing the line.

And yes either of those two would be perfectly fine.

Nodosaur posted:

Look, no one says you have to like the anime or even Ash as a character.

Awesome. I don't. And it's not just because he doesn't win.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Imagine not every one participates and there's other things to do.

Literally every League except the Orange one is said to have over a hundred competitors.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

.....So? People don't have jobs or do anything other than enter the pokemon league?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's more that it's not unrealistic that he doesn't win every single one. Frankly, he should be far more famous than he is for frequently placing as high as he does.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

they should animate pokemon adventures instead

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

It's more that it's not unrealistic that he doesn't win every single one. Frankly, he should be far more famous than he is for frequently placing as high as he does.

He should be more anything than resetting every single season. But that's the formula they're going with even though it brings in less returns every year. Here's a crazy idea. Make a new anime following any of the previous games protagonists meeting their pokemon and struggling towards the top. Give em' differing personalities and struggles. Boom. You have several perfectly good seasons right there. They're not going to. But I mean that door's always tantalizingly left open while we get force fed another season of Ash doing...something. Maybe next year he'll uhhhhh-- try and become Iron Chef! Only to burn the creme brulee in the last round WHOOPS better luck next year! I'm SO invested in what happens!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The show is still one of the highest rated shows in its timeslot/age group. It remained consistent while Yokai Watch (which also uses the same protagonist, ftr) reached higher and then fell much harder. Your dislike of it is valid but the whole matter of "diminishing returns" is more due to the age of the show, which would happen if they changed every generation anyway.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

The show is still one of the highest rated shows in its timeslot/age group. It remained consistent while Yokai Watch (which also uses the same protagonist, ftr) reached higher and then fell much harder. Your dislike of it is valid but the whole matter of "diminishing returns" is more due to the age of the show, which would happen if they changed every generation anyway.

Thank you, I'd heard that the show was having trouble making it's money back about a year ago. Maybe I'm wrong I haven't followed that particular news blurb that closely since. I did hear about Yokai Watch hitting hard times though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It wasn't making the top 10 as much anymore, but tons of shows were continuing yearly despite doing much worse.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The movies started missing their targets pretty hard, with both M18 and 19 doing worse than the 5th movie, which used to be the lowest grossing movie. Aside from that, the anime doesn't feel the need to change much, since they have a rotating audience of kids that will watch the show regardless and it's just a fun place to hang out with colourful critters doing cute things. That's all the anime has even really been for, so either watch it for the fun times, or miss it cause it ain't doing anything else.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Crosspeice posted:

The movies started missing their targets pretty hard, with both M18 and 19 doing worse than the 5th movie, which used to be the lowest grossing movie. Aside from that, the anime doesn't feel the need to change much, since they have a rotating audience of kids that will watch the show regardless and it's just a fun place to hang out with colourful critters doing cute things. That's all the anime has even really been for, so either watch it for the fun times, or miss it cause it ain't doing anything else.

Yeah this is my main point. It’s fine to outgrow and not like the anime, but it’s doing its job and if you want to watch it, it does its job well imo.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Does anybody know what stops Nintendo from buying TPC outright? Lack of cash? Some type of agreement?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Chill Penguin posted:

Does anybody know what stops Nintendo from buying TPC outright? Lack of cash? Some type of agreement?

TPC is just a corporate branch that handles marketing and licensing, so who really cares? Nintendo already owns 100% of the Pokémon trademark anyway.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Chill Penguin posted:

Nintendo isn't interested in "buying" TPC. They're the ones who helped set it up as its own separate arm because Pokemon was a big enough property it needed to stand on its own.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, what stops them is that they don't want to.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It's supposed to be a three-way joint ownership between Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. It's a bit remarkable how much freedom the Pokémon series has compared to other Nintendo properties though, like Paper Mario.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Like, 'goons', I get it, but it's a children's tv show designed to sell merch. If the current Ash ever varied from being the same character he was when you were a kid then he wouldn't make the same impression one children today that he had on you when you were (8-12). Nobody in that age range today has or will (for the duration of them being the target audience) see the prior seasons, they're just watching the scrappy anime protagonist face the same challenges they do being too young to realize Pokemon is impossible to lose. Badass Ash who's been doing this for a decade (actually 2, poo poo), would alienate these kids, undermining the animes reason for existence to begin with.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ItBreathes posted:

Badass Ash who's been doing this for a decade (actually 2, poo poo), would alienate these kids, undermining the animes reason for existence to begin with.

i think the thing is, people aren't asking for badass ash, they're asking for ash to win pokemon league, and then the next season is gold, who is as incompetent as ash was in the first series

gen7's anime would star sun or moon, and ash might make an appearance as a mentor, but ultimately he's a bit part at most for old fans while the new generation gets their own hero, and nobody sees the same character never growing older and being completely incompetent at all times.

"ash grew up, and got a job. ash drank a coke."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 14, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The only series he's arguably backslid is Black and White, and they haven't repeated it since. Otherwise, he's been written as a competent trainer since Generation III.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm trying to get my best bug bud Araquanid to work smoothly in the battle tree! But his mediocre defenses and terrible base speed stat is making it hard. I finally managed to breed a shiny (!) one with Sticky Web and the moves Stockpile/Spit Up if I ever want the option to use those in the future.

What are some good partners to pair him up with for the tree? Lately I've been forgoing the Sticky Web for pure attack moves so I can put an Assault Vest on him, but even with that he's still pretty frail. His move pool is kind of mediocre, and although he can learn Iron Defense to cover for his shaky defense game, he usually loses too much HP before I can put those buffs to work.

Lately I've been baton passing speed buffs to him through Blaziken, but again it's tricky at times to get that set up just right. Any suggestions?

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

Parrotine posted:

I'm trying to get my best bug bud Araquanid to work smoothly in the battle tree! But his mediocre defenses and terrible base speed stat is making it hard. I finally managed to breed a shiny (!) one with Sticky Web and the moves Stockpile/Spit Up if I ever want the option to use those in the future.

What are some good partners to pair him up with for the tree? Lately I've been forgoing the Sticky Web for pure attack moves so I can put an Assault Vest on him, but even with that he's still pretty frail. His move pool is kind of mediocre, and although he can learn Iron Defense to cover for his shaky defense game, he usually loses too much HP before I can put those buffs to work.

Lately I've been baton passing speed buffs to him through Blaziken, but again it's tricky at times to get that set up just right. Any suggestions?

I find that Araquanid works better with a Trick Room setup, so you can capitalize on his low speed stat instead of trying to boost it, which because of the low base stat can only get you so far.

Are you playing singles or doubles? I think he might be more viable in doubles, since with two pokemon on the field it's easier to set up TR, and paired with a Fake Out user you can also give Araquanid some room to set up. Also try bringing an Intimidate user to shore up the defense.

I'd strongly consider giving him a Z-crystal, and using either Hydro Vortex or Z-Stockpile if you want to go defensive. Araquanid can be surprisingly bulky when set up, and Leech Life provides a decent way of healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

i think the thing is, people aren't asking for badass ash, they're asking for ash to win pokemon league, and then the next season is gold, who is as incompetent as ash was in the first series

gen7's anime would star sun or moon, and ash might make an appearance as a mentor, but ultimately he's a bit part at most for old fans while the new generation gets their own hero, and nobody sees the same character never growing older and being completely incompetent at all times.

"ash grew up, and got a job. ash drank a coke."

Fighting grown up red and blue in sun/moon gave me fuzzy nostalgic feelings