Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

okay there are no civilians in israel then by that logic

That's why the Qassam Brigades are good :hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt47llMalmc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Grondoth posted:

Is there literally any reason for america to support israel?

I mean it. Is sit cause we get to sell them like a million weapons?

there are a lot of reasons, and different people have different reasons. here are some of them

a) it appeals to certain demographics that tend to be concentrated in electorally-important areas, while not really pissing anyone else off. just like US Cuba policy has been driven primarily by the fact that a bunch of Cuban exiles live in a longtime swing state and that no one besides them gave a poo poo either way. American Jews and various flavors of insane evangelical Christian all tend to be very pro-Israel, and they're a lot more numerous than Palestinian-Americans are

b) Cold War bullshit: the US efforts to gain and retain influence in the Middle East ultimately didn't work that well, and most of Israel's Arab neighbors ended up leaning a little more toward the Soviets. so naturally we backed Israel as a counter to that, and now we've been backing them so long that they're an ally and have to be unconditionally supported no matter what

c) anti-Arab and anti-Muslim racism. as a largely Westernized nation that's in constant conflict with the surrounding Arab Muslim countries and is still mostly politically dominated by light-skinned European immigrants, Israel is popular with people who hate Arabs and Muslims. even white supremacists sometimes side with Israel, under the logic that they hate Muslims more than they hate Jews and are perfectly fine with helping the two groups kill each other

d) military-industrial complex. much of US military aid to Israel is either American-made weaponry or grants that can only be spent on American-made weaponry

e) a general US susceptibility to colonialist narratives. since the nature of the US empire was somewhat different from the other big colonial empires of the 20th century, and since we never really went through decolonialization and never really had a reckoning with our colonial history overseas the same way other countries did, the US discourse doesn't really have a familiar context to compare the Israel conflict to

f) Israel has nukes, they wouldn't give up the nukes if we asked nicely, and there's no serious political will to antagonize or pressure them over it. from a nonproliferation point of view, it's probably "safer" to just let Israel be an undisputed regional hegemon and prevent anyone from posing a serious military threat to them so that they'll never have a reason to use nukes

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reminder that the last several times the IDF tried to fight anything resembling a real military they got smoked

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That tends to happen when the only hands-on experience your troops have is shooting children in a cage

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

paul_soccer10 posted:

Reminder that the last several times the IDF tried to fight anything resembling a real military they got smoked

all of southern Lebanon is tunnels and anti tank mines

*launches ground invasion*

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

paul_soccer10 posted:

That tends to happen when the only hands-on experience your troops have is shooting children in a cage

not true!!!!

they also have experience standing around in public displaying a gun in order to lull the populace into a false sense of security

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
tbf the whole reason we're in this mess is Israel winning the Six Day War

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My solution is get rid of all settlements post 1967 June and 2 states and complete right of return and Jerusalem something something and Israel elects a Jeremy Corbyn

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

this will be true once they kill them all

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

got any sevens posted:

this will be true once they kill them all

ya i assume he said that because he's mentally preparing the international community for the massacre

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

there is a good chance bibi is observing the situation in myanmar and thinking 'hey if we do this quick and efficiently it could work, worst case the UN scolds us'

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

paul_soccer10 posted:

My solution is get rid of all settlements post 1967 June and 2 states and complete right of return and Jerusalem something something and Israel elects a Jeremy Corbyn

same but they elect reincarnated karl marx who rises to prominence by brutally owning the opposition and fist fighting bibi on stage

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Percelus posted:

there is a good chance bibi is observing the situation in myanmar and thinking 'hey if we do this quick and efficiently it could work, worst case the UN scolds us'

he may be right

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what does that look like though? pushing them into egypt and jordan with tanks? israel profits from the occupation theyd have to get more africans to do their jobs for them who they hate even more than the arabs

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Real hurthling! posted:

what does that look like though? pushing them into egypt and jordan with tanks? israel profits from the occupation theyd have to get more africans to do their jobs for them who they hate even more than the arabs

Last I heard there was a galaxy brain idea to replace the african refugees with filipino migrant workers.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Real hurthling! posted:

liquidate all human capital in the Gaza concentration camp

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

with republicans still controlling congress, trump as president and if mike pompeo is head diplomat and john bolton is national security advisor it really would be the window of opportunity for bibi to do some heinous poo poo

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

bibi delenda est

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Percelus posted:

with republicans still controlling congress, trump as president and if mike pompeo is head diplomat and john bolton is national security advisor it really would be the window of opportunity for bibi to do some heinous poo poo

more heinous than now?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Main Paineframe posted:

more heinous than now?

literally murdering every palestinian man woman and child in gaza would be more heinous than now

atm they are trying to sell the angle all of them are hamas combatants so it's not absurd to think this is the next step

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Israel is already playing the long game of dumping enough toxic waste into Gaza that it becomes unsuitable for human habitation.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Israel is already playing the long game of dumping enough toxic waste into Gaza that it becomes unsuitable for human habitation.

its funny when ppl think sharon withdrawing the settlers from gaza was him becoming woke

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

jokes on them, turns out pollution doesn't stop at national borders. now gazan wastewater is polluting Israeli desalination plants

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

jokes on them, turns out pollution doesn't stop at national borders. now gazan wastewater is polluting Israeli desalination plants

Allah is good y'all.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

I can't believe that Palestinians are poisoning the Israelis, something needs to be done!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I can't believe that Palestinians are poisoning the Israelis, something needs to be done!

oh, i see you're familiar with this article, which accuses Hamas of deliberately refusing to treat raw sewage in order to hurt Israeli farmers, and details the efforts of the heroic IDF to block this terrible toxin terrorism

https://unitedwithisrael.org/hamas-water-contamination-threatens-agriculture-in-southern-israel/

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

oh, i see you're familiar with this article, which accuses Hamas of deliberately refusing to treat raw sewage in order to hurt Israeli farmers, and details the efforts of the heroic IDF to block this terrible toxin terrorism

https://unitedwithisrael.org/hamas-water-contamination-threatens-agriculture-in-southern-israel/

lol holy poo poo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
epidemics arent stopped by border checkpoints :getin:

gaza is on its way to becoming like yemen

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/benabyad/status/987609076401082368

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
obviously a hamas operative

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I can't believe Hamas would force this young boy to get shot like this.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Allah is good y'all.

this is the worst post I have read

gently caress. Dude. :doh:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Weeping Wound posted:

this is the worst post I have read

gently caress. Dude. :doh:

Masha'Allah, cuz

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
another :angel: was needed in heaven :angel:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Israel delanda est

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/AsafRonel/status/987955083294990337

Reverse Ghetto

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/988178792878411777?s=21

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

is this a skyrim reference?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Don’t have to say it’s “practically” apartheid anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
With the ruling coalition shaky, and the Israeli far right up in arms about a recent Supreme Court order delaying the deportation of African migrants, the Knesset is tossing around proposals for limiting or removing the Israeli Supreme Court's ability to invalidate laws as unconstitutional. The proposals vary - some MKs are pushing to remove the ability altogether, some are saying it should only be possible when all the judges unanimously agree, and some are saying that the Knesset should be able to simply override and invalidate Supreme Court rulings with a supermajority vote or even a regular majority vote. This is pretty bad, since the Supreme Court has been a fairly reliable bastion against the Israeli government's rightward charge.