Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Nora Loreto made a really good point and everyone is making GBS threads their pants to say she's wrong without actually disproving her.

And to prove her being correct I give you big loving news that no one has brought up so far

https://twitter.com/perreaux/status/984817551938072576?s=19

Congrats white Canadians, fear mongering against Muslims for the last two decades got the reaction it was boiling down to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Global News is my source for the latest updates and hard-hitting analysis

https://twitter.com/globalnews/status/984841819086381059

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Nora Loreto made a really good point and everyone is making GBS threads their pants to say she's wrong without actually disproving her.

No, see, it's actually about being insufficiently diplomatic in her phrasing.

Margaret Wente's entire career is based on being as inflammatory and hateful as humanly possible, and no one blinks. But this lady had the gall to point out a bit of bias with insufficiently reverent tone.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 13, 2018

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/perreaux/status/984824477182824448?s=19

Harper Canada, this is your fault.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Ya who gives a gently caress about being able to communicate in a way that's approachable to people of all stipes? What good could ever come of such a thing? What is gray?

Anyway. Hopefully this at least gets some national attention outside of "LOOK AT THE AWFUL HARPY". There is already the odd op ed out in support of her.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Math You posted:

I 100 percent agree with her opinion*. It was 100 percent a stupid idea to post it on the internet the way that she did.

She could have said the same thing at least a few different ways without so openly privilege shaming a bunch of dead kids using words like whiteness and maleness.
Dumb white people are triggered by poo poo like this and it doesn't hurt to speak in a more palatable fashion for a wider audience when it is such a touchy subject.

Edit: Heaven forbid speaking in a way that might actually convince people about your argument, if it makes your tweets less edgy or woke.

*I actually do kind of disagree with the maleness part. If it were a bus full of young women I don't think that would have lessoned the over reaction in Canada..

She in no way shamed the dead children, that is literally just the way it is being spun so people can justify sending death threats.

THC posted:

Global News is my source for the latest updates and hard-hitting analysis

https://twitter.com/globalnews/status/984841819086381059

The BC NDP are pretty firmly ahead of everyone right now, by about every metric possible the BC Liberals shouldn't have any power.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Horgan and the BCNDP are actually doing a great job and our province is so much better off with them. BC Libs are just a joke, I mean, take one look at Rich Coleman's Twitter

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/cfulgham/status/984566481869508619?s=19

That highway intersection is gonna get a stop light or some poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/cfulgham/status/984566481869508619?s=19

That highway intersection is gonna get a stop light or some poo poo.

The first reply to that thread is just so quintessentially Canadian

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

infernal machines posted:

The first reply to that thread is just so quintessentially Canadian

I had a pretty good lol

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/robizsak/status/984831039011930118

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its pretty amazing how quickly the average Canadian turns into a drooling racist fucknut the second indigenous people are mentioned.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Furnaceface posted:

Its pretty amazing how quickly the average Canadian turns into a drooling racist fucknut the second indigenous people are mentioned.

To the point where CBC had to make an actual policy of disabling comments on any article involving natives at all.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Furnaceface posted:

I mean, it's basically a Thing now for countries to prance around talking about how much they're less racist than America, then turn around and show everyone just how much of a blind spot they have for racism.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/690598/Marine+Shipping/Updates+on+Continuous+Disclosure+and+Corporate+Governance+in+Securities+Law

FN wants to allow oil tanker traffic off the West coast. Do you side with environment or FN rights?

quote:

The Lax Kw'alaams assert Canada imposed the Tanker Moratorium through Cabinet decision, policy, new releases and the introduction of Bill C-48 in Parliament. They further assert Canada did not consult with the Lax Kw'alaams or accommodate their interests, and therefore Canada's actions unjustifiably infringe the aboriginal rights and title of the Lax Kw'alaams.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

I don't think there's a lot of room in people's heads for the idea that many indigenous communities are suffering from the effects of a century and a half of systematic exclusion, isolation, and abortive attempts a genocide. It doesn't scan.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 25, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JesseBrown/status/984883930179555328

Good timing huh? Surely people will move on from Nora

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
this is exactly what the globalists wanted to happen. this is why trudeau supports the yemeni genocide and at the same time is pro open borders. same for germany, france, the uk, the US. You bomb a population then you bring them in and watch the chaos ensue and restrict civil liberties. they want us to be at war with each other. They want these psycologically weak SSRI taking patsys to commit murder suicides.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Drunk Canuck posted:

Harper Canada, this is your fault.

I think you'll clearly see that this is all Justin Trudeau's fault actually.

https://twitter.com/perreaux/status/984823633787924480

https://twitter.com/justintrudeau/status/825438460265762816

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

this is exactly what the globalists wanted to happen. this is why trudeau supports the yemeni genocide and at the same time is pro open borders. same for germany, france, the uk, the US. You bomb a population then you bring them in and watch the chaos ensue and restrict civil liberties. they want us to be at war with each other. They want these psycologically weak SSRI taking patsys to commit murder suicides.

This might be your best work yet.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Bravo. When I picked up my craft ipas today, there was a drunk guy saying the same thing replace ssri with roundup

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Bravo. When I picked up my craft ipas today, there was a drunk guy saying the same thing replace ssri with roundup

Oh I wasn't drunk

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

cougar cub posted:

http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/690598/Marine+Shipping/Updates+on+Continuous+Disclosure+and+Corporate+Governance+in+Securities+Law

FN wants to allow oil tanker traffic off the West coast. Do you side with environment or FN rights?

I can't imagine the Haida are terribly supportive of this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I imagine lots of people would say incredible things if you replaced their SSRIs with Roundup.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

I can't imagine the Haida are terribly supportive of this.

Sounds like you prefer to pick which rights are recognized.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

cougar cub posted:

Sounds like you prefer to pick which rights are recognized.

I'm only speaking to the complexity of the situation. The Haida would surely also contest a claim to the Hecate Strait and Dixon Entrance.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

pretty interesting, regarding Macleans throwing that freelancer under the bus

https://twitter.com/rjjago/status/984553793185636353

https://twitter.com/BobbieBees/status/984847538141282304
https://twitter.com/BobbieBees/status/984847930065502208
https://twitter.com/BobbieBees/status/984848369599201280

we really need to break up Rogers, Bell and Shaw for the good of everyone ASAP. Why does a cell phone company need to publish newspapers? Why does an ISP need to own TV stations? Stay in your lanes assholes :argh:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 14, 2018

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

you should start a patreon and podcast. you could def grift a LOT of prairie folk and rurals. the guy in calgary who tried to get the queen of england to remove the ndp scammed enough for a luxury camper trailer in two months

Kly fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 14, 2018

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Leofish posted:

I think you'll clearly see that this is all Justin Trudeau's fault actually.

mods, please

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Costa Rican ambassador to Manitoba, Brian Pallister, is suing the Winnipeg Free Press for reporting on the taxes he may owe for his enormous house.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/costa-rica-story-sparks-threat-of-lawsuit-479745023.html

quote:

Premier Brian Pallister is refusing to answer questions regarding taxation issues about his Costa Rican property and threatening to sue the Free Press for its coverage of the story.

Last week, the premier said he "probably should have dug deeper" into whether a company he owns owes payment of a luxury tax on his Central American vacation home. At the time, in comments widely reported, Pallister promised to look into the matter.

However, despite further requests, Pallister has not said whether his company owes the luxury tax or whether he has paid it. Instead, he has refused to discuss the matter and has threatened the Free Press with legal action unless the paper apologizes for its story, which reported on the Costa Rican luxury tax and the vacation home he and his wife Esther own through a holding company.

"These articles by their ordinary meaning of the words contained or the innuendos of same, create the impression that Premier Pallister flouted the law of Costa Rica, ignored tax obligations and did not make tax payments that were due and owing," Palllister’s lawyer Robert Tapper said in a formal notice under the Defamation Act delivered to the Free Press Friday.

"The article was designed by the Winnipeg Free Press to impugn the integrity of Premier Pallister and to bring his reputation into disregard, odium and hatred."

Putting the Free Press on notice is required by law before any defamation suit can be filed. In order to avoid any legal action, Tapper made a number of demands from the Free Press, including a front-page apology and a requirement the newspaper reveal its source for the story. Costa Rica’s national luxury tax on homes was instituted a decade ago. Its purpose is to tax the wealthy to improve housing for the poor. Pallister and his wife Esther own a 7,700-square-foot vacation home on seven acres of land near Tamarindo on Costa Rica’s Pacific Coast through their holding company, Finca Deneter Doce S.A.

The construction value of the home determines whether one is liable for the tax. Building permits Pallister’s company took out in 2008 and 2009 suggest Finca Deneter met the means test for the tax. Once it is determined that a person or company must pay the tax, the actual amount owed is based on the market value of the home and of the land on which it sits. Tamarindo-area real estate agents estimate the value of Pallister’s home at anywhere from US$550,000 to more than $1 million.

After the Free Press repeatedly asked for an update regarding questions the premier himself had acknowledged surrounding the luxury tax, Pallister’s office released the following statement to the paper on Friday: "Premier and Mrs. Pallister have paid every tax bill they have ever received in respect of their home in Costa Rica. They have never received any other tax notices regarding their home. If the Free Press can produce any unpaid tax bills, or credible proof that any taxes are unpaid, that information should be produced now. We have requested a retraction and apology on the Free Press’ misleading and factually incorrect story. We won’t be commenting to the Free Press on the story in the interim.’’

However, Pallister’s statement does not say whether his company owes the tax or whether it has been paid. Costa Rican residents don’t receive a bill for the luxury tax — although the government may put individuals or corporations on notice that they must file. Homeowners who meet the threshold for the tax must proactively determine the amount they owe and pay it.

"The Free Press has raised an issue about whether Mr. Pallister’s company has paid taxes it owes on its Costa Rican property. Mr. Pallister has not given Manitobans a clear answer. We believe they are entitled to one regardless of the legal threat," Free Press editor Paul Samyn said.

tagesschau posted:

mods, please

New thread title?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

What's the next step for the globalists after they restrict our civil liberties further? Just trying to get a picture of the endgame here.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

One world government, total social control.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Tinfoil hat me says they're paving the way towards wide scale indentured servitude in the 21st century.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The (((globalists)))?

E: Speaking of barely concealed antisemitism, Art Bell is dead

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 14, 2018

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

EvilJoven posted:

Tinfoil hat me says they're paving the way towards wide scale indentured servitude in the 21st century.

This is effectively what the American model for student loans is leading toward.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Helsing posted:

This is effectively what the American model for student loans is leading toward.

Also the American prison system.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Furnaceface posted:

Also the American prison system.

The prison system is straight up slavery.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

EvilJoven posted:

Yeah but why, and I'd love SSB to chip in here.

You basically can have slaves and poo poo already under capitalism.

You can already amass more money than god, and use it to shift politics.

Why would anyone want to go back to blatant indentured servitude when they can keep their hands and conscience clean and just have unpaid interns or whatever the gently caress.

I don't really get the conspiracy endgame poo poo. The people running the show have already won. Any further deterioration of the social fabric would just inconvenience them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

They want to beat Andrew Carnegie's high score. Do you have any idea how hard it is to become a $300 billionaire nowadays?