Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Data Graham posted:

I will never forget the day I saw “50% LESS FAT!!!” margarine in the supermarket, right next to the regular version of the same brand.

Flipped them over and the one had a serving size of 1 oz, the other was 1/2 oz.

Same as 2% milk being advertised as "low fat" when whole milk is only 4% fat to begin with. That said, any time I get a latte, I opt for whole milk. You're paying 5 bucks for a cup of coffee, may as well maximize its food content.

Tiggum posted:

With the bacon one, why not put the bacon in the sandwich?

I think the Internet has broken me. I looked at that post for about 30 seconds trying to see loss.jpg in it.

E: Sorry, the post with the picture in it. That'll teach me to try and work and post at the same time.

BlankIsBeautiful has a new favorite as of 13:24 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Share size, gently caress that. King me beyotch!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Whooping Crabs posted:

Share size, gently caress that. King me beyotch!

That and, why would I want someone else's grubby mitts all over my candy coated chocolate turds?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Iron Crowned posted:

That and, why would I want someone else's grubby mitts all over my candy coated chocolate turds?
You rip the corner and pour them out you monster.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

zedprime posted:

You rip the corner and pour them out you monster.

Why would I want someone else's mouth on my candy bag

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It feels pretty great, actually. And I thought I was the only one who called it that.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

My Lovely Horse posted:

It feels pretty great, actually. And I thought I was the only one who called it that.

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC_ZIc0TWiM :nws:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Data Graham posted:

The thing is, I know there was a good-faith attempt at rationalizing this stuff back in the mid-90s, about when the standardized "Nutrition Facts" boxes were put on packaging. Before that you would get ridiculous poo poo like a 12-oz can of Coke having a serving size of 8 ounces or a small bag of chips having 2.4 servings or whatever. But after that it said like "serving size: 1 can" or "1 bag", much saner and more usable numbers.

This is still the case. The original numbers were created in 1993 based on what people ate in 1977-1978 and 1987-1988. They were updated in 2016.

quote:

“We now have much more recent food consumption data, and it showed us that some serving sizes on food labels should change,” says Douglas Balentine, Ph.D., the director of FDA’s Office of Nutrition and Food Labeling. For example, serving sizes for muffins have changed. People generally consume an entire muffin, and not a half or a third.

In some cases, the reference amounts used to set serving sizes are smaller. Today’s individually packaged yogurts more often come in 6-ounce containers, versus the previous 8-ounce ones. FDA is now using a 6-ounce reference amount for yogurt.

But the serving size for ice cream has gotten a little larger. Instead of a half of a cup, it’s now two-thirds of a cup.
https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm386203.htm

21 CFR 101.12.A(a) posted:

Sec. 101.12 Reference amounts customarily consumed per eating occasion.
(a) The general principles and factors that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considered in arriving at the reference amounts customarily consumed per eating occasion (reference amounts) which are set forth in paragraph (b) of this section, are that:

(1) FDA calculated the reference amounts for persons 4 years of age or older to reflect the amount of food customarily consumed per eating occasion by persons in this population group. These reference amounts are based on data set forth in appropriate national food consumption surveys.

(2) FDA calculated the reference amounts for an infant or child under 4 years of age to reflect the amount of food customarily consumed per eating occasion by infants up to 12 months of age or by children 1 through 3 years of age, respectively. These reference amounts are based on data set forth in appropriate national food consumption surveys. Such reference amounts are to be used only when the food is specially formulated or processed for use by an infant or by a child under 4 years of age.

(3) An appropriate national food consumption survey includes a large sample size representative of the demographic and socioeconomic characteristics of the relevant population group and must be based on consumption data under actual conditions of use.

(4) To determine the amount of food customarily consumed per eating occasion, FDA considered the mean, median, and mode of the consumed amount per eating occasion.

(5) When survey data were insufficient, FDA took various other sources of information on serving sizes of food into consideration. These other sources of information included:

(i) Serving sizes used in dietary guidance recommendations or recommended by other authoritative systems or organizations;

(ii) Serving sizes recommended in comments;

(iii) Serving sizes used by manufacturers and grocers; and

(iv) Serving sizes used by other countries.

(6) Because they reflect the amount customarily consumed, the reference amount and, in turn, the serving size declared on the product label are based on only the edible portion of food, and not bone, seed, shell, or other inedible components.

(7) The reference amount is based on the major intended use of the food (e.g., milk as a beverage and not as an addition to cereal).

(8) The reference amounts for products that are consumed as an ingredient of other foods, but that may also be consumed in the form in which they are purchased (e.g., butter), are based on use in the form purchased.

(9) FDA sought to ensure that foods that have similar dietary usage, product characteristics, and customarily consumed amounts have a uniform reference amount.
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.12

Data Graham posted:

I guess the idiocy has crept back in over time as oversight has gotten lazier?

Yes - enforcement is the key here.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I lost a baby tooth to a carob-covered rice cake. My life may not be worth living.

Xristos anesti! My mom made an entire Greek Easter dinner without salt! Plz kill me because I am in trouble for applying salt to roasted items.

E: Drunk Dad fell asleep at the table, woke up suddenly with a snort, and yelled QUATTRO FORMAGGIO I do not know what the gently caress.

You are my favorite poster.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ulmont posted:

This is still the case. The original numbers were created in 1993 based on what people ate in 1977-1978 and 1987-1988. They were updated in 2016.

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm386203.htm

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.12
Wait, so instead of just saying all foods have to give nutrition facts for a standard weight they went through and specified a different amount for every type of food? They could have just said "every food label has to show nutrition facts per 5oz" (or whatever weight is reasonable in your system) but instead they decided to do a massive survey to determine how much of each type of food the average person eats in one go?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Makes more sense to me to standardize on “the amount you’re likely to eat” rather than making people mentally weigh how much cereal or chocolate or coke or Cheeto dust is in 5 ounces, but :shrug:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Haverchuck posted:

Whats the bit in the lower left
Brisket

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Wait, so instead of just saying all foods have to give nutrition facts for a standard weight they went through and specified a different amount for every type of food? They could have just said "every food label has to show nutrition facts per 5oz" (or whatever weight is reasonable in your system) but instead they decided to do a massive survey to determine how much of each type of food the average person eats in one go?
you're operating under the assumption that the FDA isn't underfunded and understaffed

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

NewFatMike posted:

You are my favorite poster.

thank you, I made you this as thanks!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think serving size makes sense. E.g, people are more likely to eat 6 ounces of steak than 6 ounces of popcorn.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Makes more sense to me to standardize on “the amount you’re likely to eat” rather than making people mentally weigh how much cereal or chocolate or coke or Cheeto dust is in 5 ounces, but :shrug:
I was thinking mainly about the complexity of the regulations. If there's a standard weight across all products then you only need one rule for everything instead of coming up with different numbers for every product.

But also the grams per 100g measurement being a percentage (so a product that's 20% sugar will say 20g of sugar per 100g on it) is useful so you can work out the amount per serve really easily based on whatever serving size you choose. Eg. if it's a 250g pack and you're going to eat half of it in one go, you just multiply the values by 1.25. That's probably less easy with the American system, but you still have the weight listed on the package (I assume) so it's not like you have to guess how much stuff weighs.

Elizabethan Error posted:

you're operating under the assumption that the FDA isn't underfunded and understaffed
That's the thing though, conducting a massive survey and assigning different standards to every product takes much more effort and resources than just saying every product has to follow the same rule regardless.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Tiggum posted:

That's the thing though, conducting a massive survey and assigning different standards to every product takes much more effort and resources than just saying every product has to follow the same rule regardless.

Elizabethan Error posted:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tiggum posted:

I was thinking mainly about the complexity of the regulations. If there's a standard weight across all products then you only need one rule for everything instead of coming up with different numbers for every product.

But also the grams per 100g measurement being a percentage (so a product that's 20% sugar will say 20g of sugar per 100g on it) is useful so you can work out the amount per serve really easily based on whatever serving size you choose. Eg. if it's a 250g pack and you're going to eat half of it in one go, you just multiply the values by 1.25. That's probably less easy with the American system, but you still have the weight listed on the package (I assume) so it's not like you have to guess how much stuff weighs.

Yeah I mean, Americans aren't gonna do math, but we sure as hell gonna eat "whatever the contents of this package add up to"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What? You're saying that the fact that they don't have time or money means they have to do the thing that takes longer and costs more? I don't understand where you're coming from with this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This belongs here:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

it’s lunch time, trump thread, and I want to show off the burrito the Mexican shop by me sells

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We're not going to go by weight, most people in the states don't even have kitchen scales. We also tend to measure things smaller than an ounce as teaspoons and tablespoons.

Speaking of that, here's how we divide fluids in general. Either in metric or in tablespoons to liquid ounces to fractions of a cup to pints liters gallons.

We had a chance to change things but Congress made the transition to metric optional so here we are.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I don't understand where you're coming from with this.
you should put that on a tshirt

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I just think it's dumb that there's 4 servings in a can of beans, like I'm not going to eat a pound of beans in a single sitting

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Door Frame posted:

I just think it's dumb that there's 4 servings in a can of beans, like I'm not going to eat a pound of beans in a single sitting

I have eaten a can of unheated refried beans for dinner a few times.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Iron Crowned posted:

I have eaten a can of unheated refried beans for dinner a few times.

The pound I'm currently eating have been sufficiently heated :smugbert:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Refried beans are soup if you concentrate.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/2DpRFXN.mp4

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This pretentious horseshit pisses me off

which is why you posted it

so

thanks I guess :mad:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
You bastards made me check the nutrition content of my Andy Capp's Cheddar Fries that my current THC levels begged me to eat.

I ate a whole bag. All :420: calories. I'm going to die of some sort of megagout.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Wait, those are still a thing?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The little salad inside the bauble looks really irritated.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Yes weed rules

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

fizzymercy posted:

You bastards made me check the nutrition content of my Andy Capp's Cheddar Fries that my current THC levels begged me to eat.

I ate a whole bag. All :420: calories. I'm going to die of some sort of megagout.

DEGERMED YELLOW CORNMEAL. What part of the food hypercube is that from?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tiggum posted:

Yes, that is correct, although similar foods are assigned the same reference amounts. The EU went with a "by 100g or by 100ml" option. There are pros and cons to both approaches.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/sep/08/food-labeling-us-fda-eu-health-food-safety

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Very much yes, but only at dollar stores in the weirder parts of Houston as far as I know. They're as popular as Takis in my hood.

I love them :3:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Are Takis good? They started selling them here recently and I've been wondering if they're worth picking up.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Arivia posted:

Are Takis good? They started selling them here recently and I've been wondering if they're worth picking up.

They will make your fingers look and feel like you killed someone but YES.
Eat Takis.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

What? You're saying that the fact that they don't have time or money means they have to do the thing that takes longer and costs more? I don't understand where you're coming from with this.
You also have to consider the amount of pressure from food group lobbyists who really, really want to avoid people knowing how many calories they're really cramming down their maws. Otherwise they might buy less of their product! :ohdear:

See also: The pushback against restaurant calorie label requirements, the proportions of stuff in our food pyramids/MyPlate/etc being heavily influenced by who has the most money instead of what people actually should be eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Arivia posted:

Takis are beyond worth it, they're the best corn chip thing on the market. I get them without lime because my mouth is really keen on not being shredded, but all the flavors are amazing.

Yes I'm eating Takis dipped in El Yucateco right now stop judging me.