Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mr. Bones posted:

I went to see Rent during the 20th anniversary tour last year, but it didn't have any of the original cast and it was all newcomers who all just kind of did limp impressions of the originals. It was just okay, instead of amazing like I thought it would be. I'd rather watch the movie tbh.

Rent hit me hard in the early 2000’s, it’s the only musical I’ve seen more than once. It nailed the zeitgeist of the early/mid 90’s

Recently bought the iTunes version of the broadway show and it has not aged well

I still like the songs anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
what's the point of going to the theater if you're not gonna see hamlet

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I don't "get" musicals

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
jesus christ

SUPER STAR :byodood:

blah blahblah blah blahblah say you are

is a musical I have seen, but all I remember is talking to Jesus before the show and also having a drying spray painting in a bag in the theater that smelled of solvent the whole time :cocaine:

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I've never actually seen a musical but I assume they are all like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuWO2vLsjdc

But in the case of Cats, more cats

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
It's been a long time since I saw it. Which cat was it that got bent out of shape and would start posting threads the second their last one dropped off the first page?

Was is Rum Tum Tugger? Mmmmmm, no. Was it Rumpleteazer? Eh, maybe. Oooh, it's right on the tip of my tongue...

PersonMan
Apr 3, 2009
Andrew Lloyd Webber puts on fantastic productions, spectacle-wise. You got the one song in phantom, but then the galaxy brain meme is the loving CHANDELIER. Cats isn’t a good musical, and listening to it it seems like it’s stupid as poo poo, but if it’s right in front of your face and there’s this energy surrounding the performers who are just giving it their loving 100 percent cause they’re gonna be the best drat Mister Mesphistephanie they can be. Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals get to go on to the extent they do because you see a loving show. Some people want to ooh and ahh at cat butt rubbings. That’s their deal, I guess.

PersonMan
Apr 3, 2009
Small note- Evita is his best show, and holy poo poo. Doesn’t need the set dressings, or the special effects. Just a solid soundtrack, good performance, and holy poo poo that political story. Evita is everything Hamilton wishes it was, and even the movie with Madonna is almost watchable.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I agree it’s a Show but I’ll never say starlight express isn’t god damned garbage

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cats is good and this post is bad, Pick!!!

just smdh if you don't think Rum Tum Tugger is a baller ........ smdh......

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cats is actually pretty good for a musical, just.... that bar

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

bitterandtwisted posted:

I saw it in Edinburgh. Performances were great. musical itself sucked. There's no story and the music was meh. Not one humable tune. How has this boring drek been going on 40 years?

The Lion King otoh is a cat musical worth seeing live.

smdh if you don't hum macavity

I had that VHS of the 98 cast growing up and let me tell you Demeter was a hottie

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
there are like 3 good musicals,

phantom of the paradise
little shop of horrors
tanz der vampire

and all of those rely in part on the idea that they exist in a weirdness zone so powerful that people singing is not the weirdest thing about them

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lloyd webber and sondheim have the same birthday as me and i think that's why i'm gay

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i heard someone describe an episode of the new my little pony as "sondheim-esque" and it would be hard to explain the expression my face wanted to make. i was proud to manage a ":geno: oh. i see."

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

bitterandtwisted posted:

I saw it in Edinburgh. Performances were great. musical itself sucked. There's no story and the music was meh. Not one humable tune. How has this boring drek been going on 40 years?

The Lion King otoh is a cat musical worth seeing live.

I also saw it in Edinburgh. It was terrible and it rained and a taxi driver tried to chat up my partner, but on the plus side one of the cats came out at the intermission to give this old woman who wouldn't get off her iPad a telling off. Like, really ripping into her, she was crying, it was great. Plus that bit where the Rum Tum Tugger spins around and kicks a ball outta the air and into a garbage can is impressive.

And at least it's not RENT, which is basically a double length episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S with extra HIV.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

RENT has really not aged well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
RENT was always super bad, and it only gets worse in retrospect. god i hated it so much.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like RENT a lot, but yeah it was always really overwrought. It had a certain time and place where the story it told w/r/t the AIDS and HIV epidemic was relevant, but even then it still focused mainly on the more obnoxious characters and less on the people you actually give a poo poo about aka Collins and Angel.

I often wonder if it would have blown up as big had Larson not died before it opened.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Bones posted:

Fiddler on the Roof has a dude named Laser Wolf in it
Every single boy in my eighth grade drama class thought this was awesome and not one of the girls did. This has stuck with me to this day to the point that I recall nothing outside of a few songs and also that guy.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
A dude I know was in a terrible am-dram version of Rent. He had literally one word [he was the cop in that Christmas Bells Are Ringing song who goes "right!"] and he ended up getting the lyrics to "Lover I'll cover you" tattooed on his forearms and then he fell in with the melodramatic older woman who plays Maureen and then he got hosed by a dog and he ended up getting fisted so hard he had to get butt surgery.

RENT - NOT EVEN ONCE.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pick posted:

there are like 3 good musicals,

phantom of the paradise
little shop of horrors
tanz der vampire

and all of those rely in part on the idea that they exist in a weirdness zone so powerful that people singing is not the weirdest thing about them

Cabaret is very good, even if heavy handed. Showboat is alright.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

1redflag posted:

Cabaret is very good, even if heavy handed. Showboat is alright.

i dont like cabaret

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
or chicago

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

wow Pick I just lost what little respect I had for you ....

next you'll be claiming a chorus line is bad

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
a chorus line is bad

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

WOW

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

oooh id watch that

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Disgusting Coward posted:

A dude I know was in a terrible am-dram version of Rent. He had literally one word [he was the cop in that Christmas Bells Are Ringing song who goes "right!"] and he ended up getting the lyrics to "Lover I'll cover you" tattooed on his forearms and then he fell in with the melodramatic older woman who plays Maureen and then he got hosed by a dog and he ended up getting fisted so hard he had to get butt surgery.

RENT - NOT EVEN ONCE.

that was a rollercoaster ride of a post my dude

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh yeah also since you people know an awful lot about musicals, is there one that is more of a comedy than a drama? Like it's actually funny?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Creamed Cormp posted:

oh yeah also since you people know an awful lot about musicals, is there one that is more of a comedy than a drama? Like it's actually funny?

tanz der vampire, little shop of horrors

tanz is german though, and though there was an abortive english release, it was only ever funny in german. it's funny in german though.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Maldoror posted:

i really hate musicals

really

the only musical i can say honestly that i like is forbidden zone

Same but I saw Hedwig and the Angry Inch recently and it was fun.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
LOL at "Laser Wolf" because that is indeed one of my favorite musicals.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Creamed Cormp posted:

drat Yankees. I saw it with George Burns as Applegate (i.e., the devil) before he died and it was good.

E. Yea, forgot about the producers. That's a good one too. Springtime Hitler

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 13, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Creamed Cormp posted:

watch the movie adaptation of reefer madness imho

also the producers is funny

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Frankenstyle posted:

It's been a long time since I saw it. Which cat was it that got bent out of shape and would start posting threads the second their last one dropped off the first page?

Was is Rum Tum Tugger? Mmmmmm, no. Was it Rumpleteazer? Eh, maybe. Oooh, it's right on the tip of my tongue...

Probably Grizabella, the cat who sucks, and gets picked to go to the Heaviside Layer anyways because none of the other cats want her around.

esperterra posted:

smdh if you don't hum macavity

I had that VHS of the 98 cast growing up and let me tell you Demeter was a hottie

This is a good opinion. Linda Mae Brewer is drat cute.

I've also got a crush on Jo Gibb and I don't care who knows it

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Gaunab posted:

My only Cats! story is that when I was a child I saw Cats! posters and thought it was some sort of superhero movie or like Power Rangers. My mom's coworker had it on video and let her borrow it so I could see it. I was so disappointed to find out that it was a musical.

I saw cats when I was little in Kansas City. Fred Phelps' group was there waving around signs about "fag cats". I think this was before they started making national news. My mom told me not to look at them.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I haven't seen very many musicals, but CATS is one of the musicals I HAVE seen and it's weird but the songs are good and isn't a musical about songs anyway, so I guess I'll rate it near the top of all of the musicals I have seen.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Pick posted:

i heard someone describe an episode of the new my little pony as "sondheim-esque" and it would be hard to explain the expression my face wanted to make. i was proud to manage a ":geno: oh. i see."

everyone wants to bring violence to the streets for some cause nowadays and I suggest it's this one

let's all start punching these people in the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Insane Totoro posted:

LOL at "Laser Wolf" because that is indeed one of my favorite musicals.
yeah yeah it's spelled Lazar whatever dude's name is LASER WOLF for real

• Locked thread