Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

is there any value whatsoever in doing both? I make and use merged patches, so I'm not trying to argue you're wrong, just curious if there's anything a bashed patch will touch that a merged one won't

iirc bashed patches handle leveled lists better than merged patches, provided your mods have the proper bash tags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
How long does it usually take for a new version of SKSE to come out?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Red Metal posted:

iirc bashed patches handle leveled lists better than merged patches, provided your mods have the proper bash tags

And mator smash better than both of those :smuggo:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So I just picked up the game again and read the OP, installed Mod Organizer, and found out it doesn't work with Skyrim SE.

So... where to, now?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

wizard on a water slide posted:

So I just picked up the game again and read the OP, installed Mod Organizer, and found out it doesn't work with Skyrim SE.

So... where to, now?

Mod Organizer 2.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

dwarf74 posted:

drat. New Skyrim update; now the wait for a new version of SKSE...

There's an easy work around to this if you google search. I'd find it but I'm at work

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

wizard on a water slide posted:

So... where to, now?

Nexus Mod Manager, then install LOOT and run it every time you install a new mod.

Or do whatever, I'm just saying what works for me. I only have a dozen or two small mods, no Script Extender, everything's fine!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
SKSE update is out for the new Skyrim SE update, and they finally called it beta instead of alpha so hopefully the holdout mod authors will stop being dumb.

Also don’t listen to that vidiot recommending NMM.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gyshall posted:

And mator smash better than both of those :smuggo:

Is there an actual guide to it beyond that one YouTube video? Wrye Bash may have had worse results, but at least I could navigate it (right click -> Rebuild Patch -> go through the options, each of which has a useful tooltip). With Mator Smash I found I could either mindlessly follow the extremely bare-bones guides like a monkey and hope everything worked (it didn't), or get totally lost.

Also, it hasn't been touched for nearly a year and it's still listed as alpha. Is that a problem?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NihilCredo posted:

Is there an actual guide to it beyond that one YouTube video? Wrye Bash may have had worse results, but at least I could navigate it (right click -> Rebuild Patch -> go through the options, each of which has a useful tooltip). With Mator Smash I found I could either mindlessly follow the extremely bare-bones guides like a monkey and hope everything worked (it didn't), or get totally lost.

Also, it hasn't been touched for nearly a year and it's still listed as alpha. Is that a problem?

Believe the author quit working on Mator.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So I'm building a home from Heathfire, and though it seems quite large, it's sorta in the middle of nowhere in Falkwreath.

What's some better mods for house/farm/castle building? I'm disappointed you don't get to build a castle or have more than a steward, bard and family living there.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Randaconda posted:

Believe the author quit working on Mator.

He is actually working on a new xEdit fork called zEdit, which is meant to be a swiss army knife patching tool, with merging, cleaning, etc. A good analogy is tes3cmd, but with a GUI, and way more extensible. Meant to replace Merge Plugins, Mator Smash, etc.

I wrote some words on how to get started with a Smashed Patch here.

Note that it won't work with .esl formatted Creation Club mods.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ojjeorago posted:

SKSE update is out for the new Skyrim SE update, and they finally called it beta instead of alpha so hopefully the holdout mod authors will stop being dumb.

Also don’t listen to that vidiot recommending NMM.

Where is it? http://skse.silverlock.org/ doesn't seem to have updated yet

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fuligin posted:

Where is it? http://skse.silverlock.org/ doesn't seem to have updated yet

Refresh the page.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gyshall posted:

He is actually working on a new xEdit fork called zEdit, which is meant to be a swiss army knife patching tool, with merging, cleaning, etc. A good analogy is tes3cmd, but with a GUI, and way more extensible. Meant to replace Merge Plugins, Mator Smash, etc.

I wrote some words on how to get started with a Smashed Patch here.

Note that it won't work with .esl formatted Creation Club mods.

Mator's a goddamn programming wizard, but he gets distracted easy. He'll have these great ambitious ideas for tools, make exciting progress on making them, but whenever it seems like the project is juuuust on the cusp of crossing the threshold of being ready for prime-time and completely changing the Gamebryo modding landscape... he gets bored and moves on to some completely new idea and never comes back to finish polishing the old tools.

Mator Smash and Mod Picker should be a critical part in every single new modding guide, but alas. Only the Merge program seems like it ever got good enough to become a standard modding tool.

Anyway, I wonder how long before Arthmoor tries to bilk suckers for money for a VR headset "for development purposes". I'd laugh so hard if he were dumb enough to try and declare that the SSE version will no longer be maintained and that the VR version is "the sole future of Skyrim modding."

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Ojjeorago posted:

NMM and that reddit beginners guide are both poo poo. Use Mod Organizer 2 and this guide series.

Thank you for the resource!

Unfortunately hit another problem:

guide posted:

Start SSEEdit through Mod Organizer. Select only the update.esm file. Once it has loaded, right click on update.esm and select ‘apply filter for cleaning’. Once completed, right click again and select ‘remove identical to master records’, then ‘undelete and disable references’. Close SSEEdit, making sure you remember to save the plugin and that ‘backup plugins’ is checked at the bottom. You should now have the cleaned copy of update.esm in your overwrite folder.

The original is also in the overwrite, inside a folder called SEEEdit Backups. Open this folder properly, in your explorer, and remove all the extra text after .esm from the backup file, renaming it to simply update.esm. Drag this file back into the Skyrim Special Edition data folder within your Steam directory.

Back in MO, right click on the overwrite button and select ‘create mod’. Name this mod Cleaned Vanilla ESMs. Now, you have the original .esm files in the data folder, and the new, cleaned ones in a mod, that can be activated and disabled at will. Do this for all three DLC .esms. Dawnguard requires cleaning twice – you’ll only want to rename and drag the first backup file. Just delete the second. Cleaned .esms can be dragged from the overwrite into the Cleaned Vanilla ESMs mod.

There was nothing in my SEEEDIT Backups Folder. I followed the rest of the process to see if that would work. I was able to overwrite and created the Cleaned Vanilla ESMs mod. Then I tried installing some mod from NMM.

Dawnguard.esm not found (and the other DLCs)

Mods downloaded from Nexus were recognized by MO2 and downloaded... but orphaned and deleted

What am I missing?

I am bad at this and I appreciate the threads help.

e: okay found the Backups folder in the windows explorer that's already inside the MO2. Not explorer from my computer. Progress. Still anarchy and nothing works but progress.

e2: we'll uninstall and try again later :)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 6, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Comstar posted:

So I'm building a home from Heathfire, and though it seems quite large, it's sorta in the middle of nowhere in Falkwreath.

What's some better mods for house/farm/castle building? I'm disappointed you don't get to build a castle or have more than a steward, bard and family living there.

I've liked these two
Windstad Mine: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4160

Helljarchen Farm: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4108

These all look neat but I have zero experience with them

Blackthorn(buildable town): https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2242

The Scarlett(Boat): https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2434

Dragonfall Castle: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12025

Otherwise, where would you like a home?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
NMM is fine if uninspired these days and honestly the loss of functionality is probably worth the time spent not troubleshooting installation issues. It's fine, it does the job, and most importantly? It's easy to use. MO2 is not.

MO2 is better and if it works for your setup great but honestly I wouldn't recommend it to new folks.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Hey guys does anyone know much about tweaking ENB to fix colour issues? I'm having some trouble with snow covered trees (and sometimes rocks and stones - especially little ones lying by a path or road) looking a little too blue.
Here's an example - https://imgur.com/a/asJ6Z

There is obvious saturation with ENB enabled but I didn't expect the trees to become blue! I am hoping this is something ENB can fix with tweaking colours or something like that, and it's not the actual textures (?) ..

For what it's worth my texture mods are:

Skyrim Flora Overhaul
Treefix for SFO
NobleSkyrim Mod

I think that's it for ones that might replace trees and rocks. Any ideas please?

edit: nvm I found some things that seemed to have worked. Filter R/G/B Day and Desat R/G/B day are the ones to tweak under ENBEFFECT.FX

give me thread fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 7, 2018

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Iron Rose posted:

NMM is fine if uninspired these days and honestly the loss of functionality is probably worth the time spent not troubleshooting installation issues. It's fine, it does the job, and most importantly? It's easy to use. MO2 is not.

MO2 is better and if it works for your setup great but honestly I wouldn't recommend it to new folks.

Like, I use MO2 for Fallout 4 but for Skyrim NMM is generally fine. And then I have a totally separate branch of Fallout Mod Manager for New Vegas with large package functionality for TTW or whatever.

Everybody has their preferred thing, or their I-don't-give-a-poo poo thing. There's no real right or wrong way as long as the game loads :shrug:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

King Vidiot posted:

Everybody has their preferred thing, or their I-don't-give-a-poo poo thing. There's no real right or wrong way as long as the game loads :shrug:

That's the dream!!!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you even playing a Bethesda game if you haven't ever spent two hours trying to track down the conflict that's making it ctd?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Wait the game loads?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thank you for the resource!

Unfortunately hit another problem:

There was nothing in my SEEEDIT Backups Folder. I followed the rest of the process to see if that would work. I was able to overwrite and created the Cleaned Vanilla ESMs mod. Then I tried installing some mod from NMM.

Dawnguard.esm not found (and the other DLCs)

Mods downloaded from Nexus were recognized by MO2 and downloaded... but orphaned and deleted

What am I missing?

I am bad at this and I appreciate the threads help.

e: okay found the Backups folder in the windows explorer that's already inside the MO2. Not explorer from my computer. Progress. Still anarchy and nothing works but progress.

e2: we'll uninstall and try again later :)

That guide appears to be written by someone who can't imagine someone installing this game on anything other than a SSD. The STEP guide's directions on this part are more clear:

quote:

To remove errors in the Bethesda master files, STEP recommends they be cleaned with TES5Edit. This ensures maximum stability and compatibility within the Skyrim modding experience. Follow the instructions below to clean Update.esm (the DLC will be cleaned later according to instructions on their corresponding "mod" pages):
Make a backup of Update.esm from <Skyrim>/data directory by copying it to the desktop (or somewhere else handy).
Run [TES5Edit]] through Mod Organizer.
Right-click the list of plugins and choose [Select None].
Double-click Update.esm.
Wait for Background Loader: finished to be displayed in the right panel, and then right-click on Update.esm and select [Apply Filter For Cleaning].
Wait for the [Filtering done] Processed Records: message in the right panel, and then right-click on Update.esm and select [Remove "Identical to Master" records]. If the Warning! prompt pops up, click [Yes, I'm absolutely sure].
Wait for the [Removing "Identical to Master" records done] Processed Records: message, and then right-click on Update.esm and select [Undelete and Disable References].
Wait for the [Undeleting and Disabling References done] Processed Records: message, and then click the X at upper right of the program window to exit the program.
At the prompt, checkmark Update.esm and Backup Plugins and click [OK].

At this point there are two possible outcomes, dependent upon how fast your disc drive is:

In the first case (typically slower drives such as HDDs), the Update.esm is now no longer in the data directory.

In the second case (typically faster drives such as SSDs), a cleaned Update.esm is now in the data directory (compare the filesize to your backup of Update.esm to verify that it has been cleaned--it should be smaller).

In the first case, you should now do the following:

Restore the backed up Update.esm from step 1 to the data directory.
In Mod Organizer, at the bottom of the left pane modlist is the Overwrite mod, now labeled red because files have been written to it. Double-click to open it.
In Overwrite you will find two items: a TES5Edit Backups folder and Update.esm. Since you already restored your own backed up Update.esm to the data directory, right-click and delete the TES5Edit Backups folder and click [Close].
Right-click Overwrite and select [Create Mod...], name it Cleaned Update ESM, and click [OK].
Drag and drop the new Cleaned Update ESM mod to the top of the left pane modlist.

In the second case, you are done! You can safely delete the backup as you shall not need it (if you wish to restore the original uncleaned Update.esm later, you can simply verify Steam cache and redownload it).

What's going on is that for whatever reason, tes5edit is deleting the original esms in the true Data directory after it does its cleaning and putting the Cleaned ESMs in MO's Overwrite directory, and your hard drive isn't operating fast enough to put them back or something. You need to manually copy the Bethesda esms to some other folder temporarily, do the cleaning, then copy/move your esm copies back to the true Data folder. If that seems counter-intuitive, remember that playing the game through Mod Organizer, the game reads the cleaned esms inside MO rather than the original dirty esms in the true data directory.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 7, 2018

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I've set a NPC as a steward but I have no commands to do anything as a steward. Is there some trick to get it working?

edit- Ah ha! The trick was to Dismiss her from my service...which added her to my service as a steward.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 7, 2018

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Is the uncapper borked for SSE currently?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Crossposting from the PYF Meme Thread:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I played SSE a little earlier on and modded it, but it was on an older computer and now I have a shiny new computer. I understand the SKSE is now out for it, so I'm just going to assume there is a lovely goon-curated list of amazing SKSE mods available somewhere now, can anyone point me in that direction? Also we've finally moved beyond having to rely on that Nexus Mod Manager right?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

I played SSE a little earlier on and modded it, but it was on an older computer and now I have a shiny new computer. I understand the SKSE is now out for it, so I'm just going to assume there is a lovely goon-curated list of amazing SKSE mods available somewhere now, can anyone point me in that direction? Also we've finally moved beyond having to rely on that Nexus Mod Manager right?

lol no, goons (especially GunnerJ and I) are lazy as fuuuuuuck. The best SSE mods are the conversions of the Oldrim mods in the OP. Honestly, there aren't that many mods that require SKSE, but SkyUI is one so it's kinda indispensible.

AotC
May 16, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I just finished getting a modded SSE game going using Tech's Skyrim Special Edition Guide with Obsidian Weathers and Seasons instead of what's listed in the guide.

Overall I think it came out pretty nice and having a guide was nifty, there's a bunch of stuff that hasn't been updated to SSE yet.

Also, Mod Organizer 2 is the new hotness for mod managers.

AotC fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 10, 2018

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I'm setting up my mods with a guide from a page or two back. I've got SkyUI but a couple of mods in the MCM show up with everything having dollar signs in front of them:

Any ideas? The SkyUI Nexus page suggests that I accidentally deleted a translation file in a directory that doesn't exist, and their suggestion to verify the installation didn't help, so that's :shrug: It's happening to Frostfall, Campfire, and Wet & Cold but the rest are all fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AotC posted:

Overall I think it came out pretty nice and having a guide was nifty, there's a bunch of stuff that hasn't been updated to SSE yet.

In my humble, unsolicited opinion, that water doesn't look right.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

So I'm setting up my mods with a guide from a page or two back. I've got SkyUI but a couple of mods in the MCM show up with everything having dollar signs in front of them:

Any ideas? The SkyUI Nexus page suggests that I accidentally deleted a translation file in a directory that doesn't exist, and their suggestion to verify the installation didn't help, so that's :shrug: It's happening to Frostfall, Campfire, and Wet & Cold but the rest are all fine.

As far as I know those mods are not updated for the SSE SKSE, not sure how to fix that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I've installed SPERG but I can't get the new skills to appear, each skill tree just looks like normal. Everything else from the mod seems to work fine, it's MCM entry works, the reset perks option works, even the get armor xp for every X steps you take thing works. I don't have any other mods that affect skill trees and I haven't checked any of the 'revert to default for X tree' options in MCM.

Edit: NM, turns out it was another mod afterall.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 12, 2018

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I beseech you goons, help me! I've got Skyrim SE installed via Steam and I'm using MO2 to try and load it up. SKSE64 is installed and if I run the skse64_loader.exe as an administrator, the game loads immediately, bypassing the Skyrim launcher. However, choosing to run SKSE inside of MO2 brings up the Skyrim launcher and no mods load. Any ideas? :( Gotta run MO2 as administrator as well, issue solved!

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 12, 2018

AotC
May 16, 2010

Rinkles posted:

In my humble, unsolicited opinion, that water doesn't look right.

Yeah, I have Realistic Water Two + LOD fix installed. Up close water looks amazing but in the distance it always looks off.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm on og Skyrim and I've just come to accept that distant water will never really look right

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So coming back to this after years away after modded runs of FO4 and NV really sold me on how easy MO2 makes everything and trying the SSE. Is the Unofficial patch mandatory for SSE? Or can I avoid the oblivion gates, terrible dragon va and other weirdo jackassery?

Also what's a hair mod with real good dreads?

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 13, 2018

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I used Entombed on Grelod the Kind again, and this time re-summoned her in front of a Dwarven Centurion.

edit: she got scared and ran, but then got killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Can anyone please let me know if there is a goon-made list of recommended SKSE mods like the one in the OP, and if SPERG has been ported to SE? :shobon: