Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm just watching the latest episode now and I severely regret not fast forwarding through that cheesy opening sequence with the letter. I could not give less of a gently caress about coral's letters.

At least they dropped the title card-gimmick after one episode... :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

moist turtleneck posted:

https://imgur.com/vEywjQM.mp4

Someone add meme words or whatever

Dunno about anyone else, but after violently hurling my guts up I'm in no shape to go for a jog

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh god the WD finale is the same night as the FTWD premiere

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

LadyPictureShow posted:

Aaron? He’s trying to recruit that all-female group to come back and help fight the Saviors.

‘One thousand dollars per episode?! We’ll never be able to do this! Oh God they’ll kill us!’

‘Shut up and calm the gently caress down! We just need to think strategically!’

‘But how?!’

‘Bottle episodes. Flashbacks. Bottle episodes containing flashbacks! Use the actors that are paid scale! Use voiceovers!’

*episode 2 is just a flashback bottle episode of Siddiq wandering on his own prior to meeting Carl. Every time he kills a walker, he hears the voice of his mother in his head talking about freeing their souls. At the end of the episode, after completing his morning prayers, he spies a gas station in the distance...*

DUTCH ANGLES EVERYWHERE

Lots of redshirt development, then kill them all!

crazy cloud posted:

some of this poo poo is the director and editor's fault too tho, the negan scene last week where he magicked up a gun and a loving lit flare out of no where in 0.02 seconds between cuts to garbage lady scampering around or whatever, that's a very good example. nobody on the show gives a poo poo except for the big main actors and actresses who are getting many dollars and have to at least look like they're trying. the only person on the show who is actually putting consistently decent effort into what they're doing is bear mccreary lmao

Not just poofed a gun and flare into being, but laid out a set of pictures and managed to somehow gumby his arms out of restraints while not snaking his way out of others, and then as he's facing off you see the cords that had bound his arms are still goddamned tight

crazy cloud posted:

there is no time for properly edited and paced sequences because there needs to be plenty of time for barely-lit scenes where 1 person mumbles some bullshit that's not relevant to anything and causes nothing to change, and some extra chevy and allergy medicine commercials. priorities ppl

I'm assuming Hyundai dropped them after watching their Tucson get stuck on some zombie guts

VV True, it was like THE pristine vehicle at all times, even after being slimed over by exploding head zombies while every other vehicle looks like it's been tossed around in the ocean for a few years

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 11, 2018

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I loved how clean the Tuscon was

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

moist turtleneck posted:

From everything I've read, the FTWD premiere is pretty much just "The Walking Dead episode 17." As far as I'm concerned, the real FTWD premier is on the 22nd.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blazing Ownager posted:

haha. I didn't read the article enough to see that. Now I'm doubly glad I linked it.

I don't blame him. Nobody can beat Negan's plot armor, not even Trevor.

I can only hope other shows are out there going "Welp, he's available now, let's hire him." I kind of want him to join some show where he's sort of on the side of the good guys. He's a great anti-hero.

:lol: I don't even know if this is parody or an accurate reconstruction of joining the Walking Dead writing team

I’m honestly not sure at this point either...

I love Steve Ogg. His cameo in Stan Against Evil was a thing of beauty. ‘Friend, I don’t wanna hurt you. But the pony? The pony needs blood.’

While I was slogging through my PhD, I wrote a few ridiculous screenplays; and I really think he’d be perfect for the one about the former competitive eater trying to retake the world record for eating baby back ribs (both of these points are true; I have a PhD and I wrote a screenplay about a man eating ribs)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
he was made for this cameo on broad city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPW_lwU_Hwc

especially licking the picks

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The flow of the show is just so bad. Those scenes with forest guy are awful, having him roll around in the mud, or fight a pack of zombies, just... what... why? Blimey.

Still appreciating the limitless numbers of saviours, so much that they can just kill a bunch of their own like it's nothing. Can't wait for Negan's plan to backfire, just as he thinks he has Rick the reinforcements will arrive and he'll retreat, shaking his fist. And onto the next season!

If Mr. Ogg is upset at how he got written off, it'd explain why his zombie acting was so comical, at least.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Gimple says this is the end of the "eight season story arc." :circlefap:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Surprise! That arc was just Coral's letters, Rosita Eugene Carol Ezekiel Saddiq finally read the last one.

The Walking Dead s09: Totaler War

Premiering in 2019

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hopefully S9 can just spin with Post-Post Apoc building of windmills, trading routes, and sustainable communities while FTWD just continues to be all out baller :black101: with Mad Madison and El Salvidad wrecking poo poo and Strand being cool.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Astroman posted:

Hopefully S9 can just spin with Post-Post Apoc building of windmills, trading routes, and sustainable communities while FTWD just continues to be all out baller :black101: with Mad Madison and El Salvidad wrecking poo poo and Strand being cool.

El Salvidad is the only character that hasn’t had any indication of return for the FTWD jump; plus Strand shot him in the face.

I hope he rolls back up for S4...

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

LadyPictureShow posted:

El Salvidad is the only character that hasn’t had any indication of return for the FTWD jump; plus Strand shot him in the face.

I hope he rolls back up for S4...

I hope it's like his return in S3 where he just didn't exist for half a season and then popped up in what was probably my favorite episode from the first half of S3. The entirely Spanish episode was really good.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

JossiRossi posted:

I hope it's like his return in S3 where he just didn't exist for half a season and then popped up in what was probably my favorite episode from the first half of S3. The entirely Spanish episode was really good.

That episode loving owned.

Yanno, maybe it’s just because Ruben Blades is a great actor, but remember in S2 where he started hallucinating his dead wife and then burned down that vineyard?

He actually sold that well, unlike Rick ‘phantom phonecall’ Grimes. Those Lori’s ghost scenes were just painful. Same with finding out Ofelia died juuuuuust before he got to see her again. Carl dying was the most drawn out slog, but with Fear, they did that neat and tidy.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

JossiRossi posted:

I liked how it didn't lead up to this climactic showdown of guns and explosions and wtfbbq, like the main show keeps doing nowadays (and spectacularly failing due to low budget/incompetence) and was instead a pretty quick set of kills in a few seconds. And that Ruben acted it in such a way that right up until the moment he lashed out for the gun, you really didn't know if El Salvidad was gonna just go back to his old ways or try being an actual human being.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 12, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Marmaduke! posted:

The flow of the show is just so bad.

What, you don't think spending 3-4 years on a 2 week period in time is a good flow??

Watching this show is like watching a whole scene played in slow motion over dozens of episodes

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

That episode loving owned.

Yanno, maybe it’s just because Ruben Blades is a great actor, but remember in S2 where he started hallucinating his dead wife and then burned down that vineyard?

He actually sold that well, unlike Rick ‘phantom phonecall’ Grimes. Those Lori’s ghost scenes were just painful. Same with finding out Ofelia died juuuuuust before he got to see her again. Carl dying was the most drawn out slog, but with Fear, they did that neat and tidy.

El Salivdad/Daniel didn't burn down the Vineyard? He was hallucinating in one of the dumbest ever FTWD episodes where everyone went crazy at the same time (I will NOT defend most of Season 2 or Season 1 Fear despite defending Season 3 with such zeal), and then Madison 'FAMILY' Clarke decided to lock the woman that took them in and was NOT holding them there against their will in a cell full of zombies and I believe she burned the whole place down shortly afterward.

Her doing that and the season 2 show runners being OBLIVIOUS to the fact it was pure WTF psycho territory was a low point, but Season 3 going "Yeah, you know what, Madison is actually a total sociopath and secret rear end in a top hat" and rolling with it made it all worth it.

ED: This also squares a lot of "WHAT THE gently caress" moments from Season 1, like her being onboard with torturing a soldier for information. I am still laughing that the heroic season finale raid in Season 1 was wiping out a military hospital that was legitimately trying to help sick people and never once showed to be doing anything shady. The whole 'destroy everything' protocol came out under torture and I doubt it was ever even really real. Why strike the last survivors with bombs? And why try to pull as many sick people out on Chinooks as possible if you didn't give a poo poo about evacuating people? No, they just murdered a bunch of soldiers and got a ton of people killed because they're assholes and embracing that has made a great show.

Killing off Travis (even if it was for him to go take other Avatar roles) was the best thing the show has done because it got rid of the only person concerned with morality left, shy of maybe Nick who is not a good person but at least REALIZES he is not a good person and is conflicted about it. He'd almost had to side against her in the end the way they were going if he'd stuck around.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 12, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Must I watch all of the previous eps of FTWD before sunday? All I remember is hate watching most of the first season and then ignoring the DVRed stuff after.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
You could watch the last two eps and be mostly fine but the whole season 3 should be watched because they fully embrace the madness

There's slow scenes LIKE walking dead, but they exhibit things such as "character" and "inner turmoil" effectively

https://i.imgur.com/vr52H5w.gifv
(this is season 1 but i just saw it pop up when i was looking for something else

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

goddamn El Salvidad is so badass, like literally in the first season he realizes you can just... out-walk zombies

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I feel many of the earlier criticisms of FTWD mostly stem from being unfamiliar with the characters. It's a tight production overall, and presents some unique problems couldn't be explored in TWD because of the timejump

It's a better drama in most ways, because it was built for TV, whereas TWD converts a lot of comicbook ideas that exceed our ability to suspend our disbelief. The Kingdom comes across as particularly out of touch (the tiger, the king, and his followers), a leader who wears an eyepatch, a samurai woman who brings a sword to a gunfight--these serve the comicbook well, but to varying degrees are a reminder that the TV show sources a series of fantasy comicbooks

FTWD builds a smarter and more believable TV world which I think contributes to it being a more successful drama, even though typical TWD fans like the spectacle of action more

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The first two seasons of Fear, for all their many flaws, are still miles better than the last two seasons of the main show, so if you've sat through seasons 7 and 8 of TWD just go ahead and watch them if you're in any way interested in watching more walking dead, and they'll be an improvement.

Granted, it's like transitioning from eating rotting dog vomit to eating rotting vegetables, but it's an improvement nonetheless.

edit: I kinda liked Fear anyway, even though they squandered their main premise

Cactus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 13, 2018

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Cactus posted:

The first two seasons of Fear, for all their many flaws, are still miles better than the last two seasons of the main show, so if you've sat through seasons 7 and 8 of TWD just go ahead and watch them if you're in any way interested in watching more walking dead, and they'll be an improvement.

Granted, it's like transitioning from eating rotting dog vomit to eating rotting vegetables, but it's an improvement nonetheless.

This is a really good point, at the time it aired, FTWD was a really inferior product compared to the concurrent Walking Dead. But even FTWD at its worst was at least a kind of entertainingly bizarre, what with time travelling airplanes and a zombieless LA is better than what the main show is shoveling out. If you can tolerate TWD currently in any form, then Fear seasons 1-2 will not do you any worse. And if you complete season 3 you'll see why there's a group of us who really really defend that portion.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Season three of Fear I'd put on a level tier to season 1 of Jericho. It was legit good.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

guys i watched about the first 3 episodes of season 8 then just couldnt do it anymore

did anything happen besides coral dying?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I quit FTWD in disgust after S2 and only just took up S3 on Hulu based on kind goon words. I don't know if it's the lack of commercials, the two years of steaming poo poo that the main show has given us, legit dementia or what but you nerds are right, it is watchable and not terrible so far.

Hexel posted:

guys i watched about the first 3 episodes of season 8 then just couldnt do it anymore

did anything happen besides coral dying?
Nobody should regret leaving this awful show, I would if I could, do it for me

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

Excellent.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CODChimera posted:

Excellent.

I’ll double-take so hard I’ll probably snap my goddamn neck.

Hasselblad posted:

Must I watch all of the previous eps of FTWD before sunday? All I remember is hate watching most of the first season and then ignoring the DVRed stuff after.

Naaaaaah; you can shrug off everything before S3. All you really need to know is: Chris hilariously flipped a truck and died, Travis was the biggest pussy ever, Alicia is just... there, Strand flip-flops like a mofo, El Salvidad is a stone cold killa; Troy was too good for this world.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 13, 2018

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So they totally are doing the time skip then hey?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hasselblad posted:

So what most people say and bounce to season 3.

The only good part about sitting through Season 2 is watching the writers ineptly write the characters like psychopaths until the Season 3 writers said "Let's roll with that."

I was hooked on Season 3 from Madison's very first reaction to getting shelter is "We need to take this place over." Not "We need to take this place over if it gets bad, or we can't trust these people." Nope, she went right to "This should be mine." And that was the moment my opinion on Fear changed.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spellman posted:

I feel many of the earlier criticisms of FTWD mostly stem from being unfamiliar with the characters. It's a tight production overall, and presents some unique problems couldn't be explored in TWD because of the timejump

Most stem from an unbelievably lovely first season and an all over place second season that included a time traveling airplane and a Negan hostage exchange before everyone went insane for an episode

Spellman posted:

It's a better drama in most ways, because it was built for TV, whereas TWD converts a lot of comicbook ideas that exceed our ability to suspend our disbelief. The Kingdom comes across as particularly out of touch (the tiger, the king, and his followers), a leader who wears an eyepatch, a samurai woman who brings a sword to a gunfight--these serve the comicbook well, but to varying degrees are a reminder that the TV show sources a series of fantasy comicbooks

FTWD builds a smarter and more believable TV world which I think contributes to it being a more successful drama, even though typical TWD fans like the spectacle of action more

I'd argue this, though. Not only are Fear's settlements more interesting (barter town is straight up early Mad Max yet believable entirely), but the action - in season 3 - is much better. I'll rag all day on the Season 2 finale because the big Cartel they needed to run away from was 6 dudes stupid enough to walk through a zombie moat.

But season 3? The big battles in season 3 are SO MUCH MORE LOGICAL than TWD. The big finale had me going, the whole time, "Holy poo poo. They're actually doing smart things and following a plan and aren't incompetent assholes." There's no 'walk up to a house in an open field whistling' poo poo in season 3.

Johnny Truant posted:

goddamn El Salvidad is so badass, like literally in the first season he realizes you can just... out-walk zombies

The whole crew is pretty awesome. El Salivdad and Strand have more awesome than the entire TWD cast combined, and the Clarkes are all interesting now too. Alison's probably the weakest of the bunch with Nick being a very interesting, gray area character and Madison being someone who will one day call Negan a bitch, half with force and half with the duplicity of good-Carol (the one we've not seen in like 3 seasons)

I'd kind of describe Madison's direction as "Peak Carol if Carol had a broken moral compass and a drive for power instead of the combat skills"

Speaking of which, I'd like to wager what happens in the time gap: Somehow, someway, Madison joins forces with and then usurps the biker gang. Just calling it now based on her MO.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 13, 2018

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Blazing Ownager posted:

What, you don't think spending 3-4 years on a 2 week period in time is a good flow??

Watching this show is like watching a whole scene played in slow motion over dozens of episodes

That reminds me, will the next season of Attack on Titan ever come to Netflix...

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I'm rewatching some Best Of Eugene clips on youtube and I'm thinking I'd rather just watch a Better Call Saul-style spinoff that's just about Eugene being a high school science teacher. No foreshadowing, no horror, just word-salad analyses of whatever situation our boy finds himself in.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/iEmBhgI.gifv

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I mean seriously. He's loving zip tied and he somehow, in mere seconds, got tightly under a tarp and covered himself in ashes?

At this point I think the writers are blatantly seeing what they can get away with.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

EDIT how the gently caress do you post images? I've never been able to get [img] tags to work on this forum.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I mean seriously. He's loving zip tied and he somehow, in mere seconds, got tightly under a tarp and covered himself in ashes?

At this point I think the writers are blatantly seeing what they can get away with.

He first would have had to walk past the spot where he hid to fool Daryl with his footsteps, then returned to the spot and buried himself. Rosita took 4 minutes to unsling her rifle.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Acacia REI posted:

EDIT how the gently caress do you post images? I've never been able to get [img] tags to work on this forum.

[img]url.gif[/img]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ego-bot posted:

He first would have had to walk past the spot where he hid to fool Daryl with his footsteps, then returned to the spot and buried himself. Rosita took 4 minutes to unsling her rifle.

How did he cover up his 2nd pair of tracks?