Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
World of Warcraft looks like garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

How Rude posted:

World of Warcraft looks like garbage

It's a horrible ugly patchwork from 2004; it's quite jarring as Mists of Pandaria's starting area look really nice.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Dragongem posted:

It's too bad that it's not really easy to follow, because I imagine it's pretty fun for the people doing it. I've tried watching it occasionally but unless you know the classes it's really hard to get a sense of anything.

yeah it's complete nonsense. I don't think it was ever any good but it sure did require a high skill level.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

pog boyfriend posted:

nami canonically listens to brockhampton

as a nami main:

actually nami listens to the tears of enemies, "you're not that good of a nami" after ult + q with a couple autos and w to kill secure lol

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
So I am getting back into league after not playing since 2013. Can anyone give me some tips for Hecarim jungle? I seem to be having a lot of trouble with my first clear. I actually got executed by red buff in my first game back (teemo accidentally stole blue with poison).

Should I just be doing 3 camps and backing for boots or something? Seems like doing a full clear or attempting a lvl 3 gank is basically impossible.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Are there any good guides out there for new players, specifically on what to do at what point of the game? I've seen the general stuff about "tank top/mage mid/support adc bottom/jungle jungle" and then "early game farm / mid game farm and maybe gank / late game team fight and go win", but am just looking for a little more detail about where to go and when.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Erdricks posted:

Are there any good guides out there for new players, specifically on what to do at what point of the game? I've seen the general stuff about "tank top/mage mid/support adc bottom/jungle jungle" and then "early game farm / mid game farm and maybe gank / late game team fight and go win", but am just looking for a little more detail about where to go and when.

This is a good start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?unswlolsoc?videos

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

This channel is great. Also the subreddit summonersschool has many great posts/guides if you search for anything specific.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Erdricks posted:

Macro is incredibly tricky to try and teach. There's a good reason why there's no really big, comprehensive guides on it: the number of decisions you can make are determined by the game state, and the game state can range from "my team is 20 kills up at 15 minutes" to "we don't have a single kill."

I think the single best summary of macro I can give is Scarra's "sides of pressure" video. To boil it down: you want to try and leverage your advantage wherever the opponent is weakest and where you can gain the greatest benefit. In terms of personal play, you want to try and position yourself around the side where you can take the current best objective given your strength relative to the enemy team. As an example, let's say that you're playing top lane and you get a couple of kills on your lane opponent, but the rest of your team is doing poorly. You have some pressure on top lane, but not a lot, because the enemy midlaner will likely have many more opportunities to roam compared to your midlaner. From here, you can evaluate what objectives are available to you and how risky attempting to claim them may be:
  • Top Turret: Hard to take if the enemy midlaner is allowed to roam and/or the enemy jungler comes up to gank you. Relatively easy to take if it's just you and your weaker lane opponent and/or your jungler is up there with you.
  • Rift Herald: Difficult to take for similar reasons as above. Even if your jungler is up there with you, your midlaner cannot reinforce you as easily, as they'll likely be pushed under their turret. It's easy for you to get collapsed on.
  • Mid Turret: Difficult to take due to the relative strengths of both midlaners. It's possible if you manage to execute a good roam in concert with your jungler to gank mid.
  • Dragon: Difficult, if not impossible, to take. If your mid and bot are both behind, you'll likely lose, even in a 5v4 scenario, unless you're monstrously ahead or you get some picks early. In a situation where you're only, say, two kills up, it's unlikely you'll be able to win a 5v4 if everyone else is behind. You also risk letting your lane opponent back into the game if he's able to slow push a huge wave in and deny you large amounts of EXP/gold.
  • Bot Tower: Impossible to take for similar reasons as above.
From this, you can start thinking about sides of pressure and determining what objective would be best to go for given the game state. If, for example, you and your jungler are top, and the enemy midlaner shows themselves bot, you now have greater pressure top and have two options on the table: Rift Herald or top turret. If you have a large wave built up and the two of you are in a position to dive the enemy top laner, top turret would be the optimal choice, especially if first turret gold has yet to be taken. If you only have a few minions going down the lane and the enemy top laner can clear, Rift Herald would be the optimal choice.

You can kinda see how crazy the potential decision trees can get, and it can get overwhelming for a new player. The best advice is to simply pay attention to where everyone is on the map and to try and guide your team to whatever the easiest-to-take objective available is when you see that you have a clear man advantage on your side of the map. Things like knowing when to do Baron, when to bait Baron, when to cede objectives versus when to try and fight them, etc. comes mostly from experience and your best judgment.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
For a new player, what's the best role to start at and learn things?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Depends! Do you want to try to control the game in more subtle ways? A jungler or support is good. Like fighting enemy players in lane? Take top or mid. Want to be the late game jerk with auto attacks? ADC.

Really the best thing I'd suggest is look at champs that look interesting and try them out.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Erdricks posted:

Only thing I would avoid is jungle but quite frankly there are enough people that are bad enough at the game that you won't be too far in over your head. Try everything and stick with what you find most fun.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Midlane is where you'll see the most champion diversity while also having to learn last-hitting. You'll interact with a lot of other lanes and with the junglers (a LOT). It's probably the role where you do the most different things, depending on your champion: farming, pushing, ganking, burst damage, DPS, AP, AD, etc etc...

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 12, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darius is a decent champ to learn top lane with since he's good at trading and good at last hitting and not really a splitpusher so you can just focus on the basics of the laning phase, plus you can learn how autoattack resets work with his w. and 'hit a dude until they're low and have five stacks and then r them' isnt very difficult

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

indyrenegade posted:

as a nami main:

actually nami listens to the tears of enemies, "you're not that good of a nami" after ult + q with a couple autos and w to kill secure lol

nami listens to brockhampton when i take her top lane and bully melee people into completely tilting while their team is incredulous they are getting dumpstered by nami. and i wish they would come around to see if i am as good as the enemy says i am because he is starting to not be worth money anymore.

NaotoSaysNo
Jul 1, 2012

Erdricks posted:

Mid and top. Jungle and support are heavily skewed towards decision making and will leave you lacking in fundamentals while adc is basically an entirely mechanical role where you have absolutely no agency to do anything by yourself. The nature of botlane having two people isn't very good for learning since a good X can often times make up for a bad Y.

Mid and top are solo lanes so you'll have to learn both decision making and fundamentals, along with 1v1s.

For top, I recommend Jax, Renekton and Maokai. They're very simplistic and strong champions and each exerts a different funciton. Jax scales really well and can 1v1 most people while having decent matchups against most champions, also a really good splitpusher. Renekton is incredibly lane dominant and will teach you how to play aggressively and snowball victories. And Maokai is a really good tank that is basically unkillable in lane and is incredibly strong in teamfights.

For mid, Annie, Twisted Fate and Malzahar are (mostly) very good for new players. Annie is an easy to play, point-and-click burst mage. Malzahar is safe to the point of being uninteractive and he teaches you how to play safe. TF is not really that great of a champion for new players due to his unique playstyle, but as a learning tool, I feel that he's the best champion in midlane to learn how to roam with.

Once you get some experience with the game, there's some really good coaching channels on youtube:

Metaphor is a challenger jungler that recently started uploading a lot of coaching sessions
Wickd is an ex-pro top lane player
Prismal is a challenger adc, although he doesn't upload very much
LastShadow is an actual pro team coach that has been living in Korea for the longest time. He may come off as arrogant and he often times goes on tangents about what-if scenarios. But I believe he is the best LoL coach in the world, a lot of what I learned was from him. His VOD Review of Apdo's Twisted Fate was a loving enlightening experience for me.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
MeNoHaxor is less known but he's a good coach for support (and he's challenger)

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
LastShadow would be better if we as a species never discovered analogy.

EDIT: Not making GBS threads on the recommendation to watch him btw, just a heads up to be ready for all the useless analogies.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 13, 2018

NaotoSaysNo
Jul 1, 2012

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why, though?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
why did you have to make a custom card for counterspell

it's been printed

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

And Janna isn't even a controlly blue mage ffs

NaotoSaysNo
Jul 1, 2012
its just a shitpost about what janna as a champion essentially is. I thought it was funny.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I laughed

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

counterspell ain't poo poo next to tear sona

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

And Janna isn't even a controlly blue mage ffs

I think she is

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

I think she is

The damage prevention and attack increase on her shield, making your team faster, temporary disables, healing, all that is pretty solidly white.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The damage prevention and attack increase on her shield, making your team faster, temporary disables, healing, all that is pretty solidly white.

Instant cast interrupts are very much a blue thing tho. WU then

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Futuresight posted:

LastShadow would be better if we as a species never discovered analogy.

EDIT: Not making GBS threads on the recommendation to watch him btw, just a heads up to be ready for all the useless analogies.

I always knew him as LS and hadn't realised he had a "full name". Yes I'm blind and didn't see his channel's URL etc

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vermain posted:

counterspell ain't poo poo next to tear sona

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Sona is Clearly Mono White

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
And yet, Fog was a green card.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Janna is really good at ruining your fun awesome kills on enemy bad dudes

this makes her a blue player, aka the fun ruiners (and bad people)

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 13, 2018

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Dragongem posted:

this makes her a blue player, aka the fun ruiners (and bad people)

This is so obviously true I can't believe it's even a topic of conflict.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

this is taric

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

NaotoSaysNo posted:

its just a shitpost about what janna as a champion essentially is. I thought it was funny.

Don't let em get you down. You did good.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Has anyone checked on Lissandra lately? Is that champion still in the game

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

kingcobweb posted:

yeah she's hanging out with fiddles and ivern and Elise in the im sad why doesnt anyone pick me corner

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Elise just got buffs! Which means I've seen her once in the past 2 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

She's playable. I suspect the design team would prefer not to touch her at all aside from a few cosmetic buffs/number shifts because of how potentially insane a strong Lissandra could be. Her major niche (survivable short-ranged battle mage) is largely occupied by new Swain as it is.