Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I don't really see the connection.

Edit: I mean, I guess, but you have to really want it.

I can sorta see it, yeah, but it's weird. There's that circular sort of motif going on in four of them that serves as a major red herring as to what the connection is trying to be (I spent forever trying to figure out where the circle was in the Forest). And while the arch or gateway motif from the original saclands is distinctly visible in four out of the five DOM basics, I can't find it in the Mountain. Maybe if I could see a bigger version of the art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Dominaria Pre Pre Release is starting now if you want to see some Dominaria sealed in action

http://twitch.tv/loadingreadyrun

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
How valid is UW tokens deck in this article in standard? I built it in Arena and I'm having fun with it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The Naru Meha combo actually also works with Saheeli's Artistry for 10 mana and is far more likely to actually win the game with it, as it let's you get infinite copies of any artifact in play. The real struggle is coming up with a control deck that wants to play Naru Meha, because in my mind the combos are something you throw into a deck that already wants Naru as additional value, not something you can reliably build around.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

Tangerines posted:

I've been thinking about getting into Modern from being a casual commander player with the occasional pre-release under my belt.

I first picked up Magic back in Mirrodin so I've been eyeing up Affinity but Tron has been calling to me as well. What would people suggest going for and why? I've also just finished an inventory of my collection and wanted to hear peoples thoughts on how they would go about building up an array of format staples in order to build around in future?

Affinity is the best modern deck there's ever been so that's the right answer.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lunsku posted:

Yeah, if anything tables bigger than eight start improving strategies hinging on multiples of specific cards. We had one hilarious pub draft back in Worldwake-Zendikar where one player raked up every single

in a twelve or so player table with enough support to mill out even the faster aggro decks over four rounds.

This is what I got from a 10 man pod during MM2015:

There was a 4th Thief of Hope in the sideboard. :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

poo poo is weak posted:

Affinity is the best modern deck there's ever been so that's the right answer.

It's had its ups and downs, but has affinity ever not been a top tier modern deck? It's remarkably resilient.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

Rinkles posted:

It's had its ups and downs, but has affinity ever not been a top tier modern deck? It's remarkably resilient.

I'm bias because it's my deck, but it has been an excellent deck since moderns inception.

Edit: HOWEVER the previous poster is correct in that the expensive staples don't really transfer to any other decks besides lantern.

shit is weak fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 13, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

poo poo is weak posted:

I'm bias because it's my deck, but it has been an excellent deck since moderns inception.

I kind of regret selling my Standard affinity deck back in Scars because the modern version is so drat close to it anyway.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Rinkles posted:

Its basically the perfect deck. There are also just games where the deck utterly refuses to lose no matter what. I was piloting it in modern during Theros and won with it constantly despite being a turbobad including a game against Jeff Blyden that all my friends at the time remember as the worst game of magic they've ever seen played.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Matsuri posted:

How valid is UW tokens deck in this article in standard? I built it in Arena and I'm having fun with it.

You can play it, but it's not very competitive. Abzan Tokens was popular for a while, but has fallen off pretty hard. This might all change with Dominaria, because there could be a new token deck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Rinkles posted:

the only time the metagame is hostile to affinity is when there's not enough other good decks so it's easy to pack sideboard hate

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

AnEdgelord posted:

Its basically the perfect deck. There are also just games where the deck utterly refuses to lose no matter what. I was piloting it in modern during Theros and won with it constantly despite being a turbobad including a game against Jeff Blyden that all my friends at the time remember as the worst game of magic they've ever seen played.

It's got some bad matchups though....I can't remember the last time i've lost to affinity in modern as Jeskai

Post sideboard it's even worse.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Yuzenn posted:

It's got some bad matchups though....I can't remember the last time i've lost to affinity in modern as Jeskai

Even your bad matchups you can win with the right hand, but you are correct about the sideboard. When I say its "perfect" what I mean is that it has good matchups against a significant amount of the field, can curve out perfectly in ways other aggro decks only wish they could, and with the right starting hand you pretty much can't lose your game 1.

Game 2 can be a pain thanks to Kataki and Stony Silence but those cards tend to disappear from sideboards when everyone forgets about affinity.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Yuzenn posted:

It has a less than stellar match-up against soul sisters

*finds a different corpse to wail on*

Taking 8 whack to the IQ tomorrow, good luck high five to the other goon that just bought the deck. Since you were talking about other decks with cards from 8 whack in order of closest to furthest mono R burn, R/W burn, and zoo are all good decks to play that use bolts and guides.

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 13, 2018

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

AnEdgelord posted:

Even your bad matchups you can win with the right hand, but you are correct about the sideboard. When I say its "perfect" what I mean is that it has good matchups against a significant amount of the field, can curve out perfectly in ways other aggro decks only wish they could, and with the right starting hand you pretty much can't lose your game 1.

Game 2 can be a pain thanks to Kataki and Stony Silence but those cards tend to disappear from sideboards when everyone forgets about affinity.

That's fair, it's probably the most consistently competitive deck along with Burn, and Affinity probably has a better winrate overall.

Good hands in affinity can be soul crushing, i've seen hand dumps turn into a turn 3-4 kill.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
It's basically legacy dredge. People forget about it, then BAM win, then the next 6 months will have decent but not top finishes, then BAM another win.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

PleasantDirge posted:

It has a less than stellar match-up against soul sisters

Maybe things have changed for soul sisters but I remember this being a huge misnomer back when I played the deck. Thanks to cranial plating and master of etherium Affinity can hit for far larger numbers than Souls Sisters is capable of healing through. Soul Sisters gains access to the good white sideboard cards of course but puts up less of fight than something that has real sweepers.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Inkmoth doesn't care how much life you gain.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

suicidesteve posted:

Inkmoth doesn't care how much life you gain.

I think I got my soul sisters and B/W tokens match-ups switched

Also I bought a crispy playset of Probe from the nickle bin at the flea market yesterday

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Slingin' Constructs. That are humongous.

Deck: Esper Improvise Karn

//Lands
4 Concealed Courtyard
2 Drowned Catacomb
3 Fetid Pools
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Island
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Plains
4 Spire of Industry
4 Swamp

//Artifacts
1 Aethersphere Harvester
4 Cogworker's Puzzleknot
4 Renegade Map
4 Servo Schematic
1 Treasure Map

//Instants
3 Fatal Push
4 Metallic Rebuke

//Sorceries
1 Battle at the Bridge
4 Servo Exhibition

//Planeswalkers
4 Karn, Scion of Urza
2 Tezzeret the Schemer

//Creatures
4 Herald of Anguish
3 Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp

//Sideboard
2 Duress
1 Fatal Push
2 Invoke the Divine
2 Negate
3 Seal Away
2 The Scarab God
2 Vraska's Contempt

Display deck statistics

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

I like this, you're a good manbark at the moon doggo.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

There was a 4th Thief of Hope in the sideboard. :v:

God I miss Ghost Dad, which makes me miss Ghost Husk and Hand in Hand too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
4 Herald of Anguish is definitely excessive though.

Probably 2 and then 2 of something else, I imagine.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

Maybe another Harvester? Or Chad of the Trials?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Is it? Herald was definitely the best card in Grixis Improvise when that was briefly a thing.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
What is the optimal ratio of Lands:Rats:Other Enablers in a 250 card Battle of Wits / Treasure Hunt & Zombie Infestation / Relentless Rats deck?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Archenteron posted:

What is the optimal ratio of Lands:Rats:Other Enablers in a 250 card Battle of Wits / Treasure Hunt & Zombie Infestation / Relentless Rats deck?

Truly, a question for the philosophers

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I've gotten a T2 win on Affinity in the mirror (Inkmoth is no joke)

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Archenteron posted:

Yes.

In all honesty, I have no idea what the proper ratio is, all I know is make sure you have 4 thrumming stones.

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 13, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Is it? Herald was definitely the best card in Grixis Improvise when that was briefly a thing.

Karn tends to make a 5/5 on turn 4 and a 6/6 on turn 5.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Holy poo poo. My FLGS owner just called me asking me what tournaments I was "mistakenly" registered in. I guess he got a message from DCI about it or something.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Man I have the opposite problem. Not getting my 6 planeswalker points from going 1-1-1 at fnm :smug:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Got my poo poo pushed in by the vehicles deck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Man I have the opposite problem. Not getting my 6 planeswalker points from going 1-1-1 at fnm :smug:

I reported the tournaments that I did not play in yo Wizards in February. They removed the tournaments ftom my plqy history and I presumed that was that.

I have asked a few people I know if they've ever had their numbers used for tournaments that they didn't go to, but they're kitchen table players that don't care to look or don't have a number at all.

But I got called by my FLGS owner (he has my phone number because I've known him since long before he opened his business). He asked me what's going on because Wizards contacted him and he's trying to figure out if my number is being used by accident ot someone stole my info. I haven't been there in a few months because I don't like going anymore. I tried yo get off the phone with him as fast as I could and I phoned Wizards customer support because I am not at all okay with a store owner calling me about a DCI issue.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Star Man posted:

I reported the tournaments that I did not play in yo Wizards in February. They removed the tournaments ftom my plqy history and I presumed that was that.

I have asked a few people I know if they've ever had their numbers used for tournaments that they didn't go to, but they're kitchen table players that don't care to look or don't have a number at all.

But I got called by my FLGS owner (he has my phone number because I've known him since long before he opened his business). He asked me what's going on because Wizards contacted him and he's trying to figure out if my number is being used by accident ot someone stole my info. I haven't been there in a few months because I don't like going anymore. I tried yo get off the phone with him as fast as I could and I phoned Wizards customer support because I am not at all okay with a store owner calling me about a DCI issue.

Next thing you know, Lowtax will be calling you about your shitposting issue

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mushroom Rush

Deck: BG Saprolings

//Lands
4 Blooming Marsh
11 Forest
4 Swamp
4 Woodland Cemetery

//Enchantments
1 Arguel's Blood Fast
4 Song of Freyalise

//Instants
4 Spore Swarm
2 Vraska's Contempt

//Sorceries
2 Overcome
4 Saproling Migration

//Planeswalkers
1 Vraska, Relic Seeker

//Creatures
4 Llanowar Elves
3 Slimefoot, the Stowaway
4 Sporecrown Thallid
4 Tendershoot Dryad
4 Yavimaya Sapherd

//Sideboard
2 Carnage Tyrant
4 Fatal Push
4 Duress
1 Vraska, Relic Seeker
1 Vraska's Contempt
3 Naturalize

Display deck statistics

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Where's your Growing Rites of Itlimoc?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

moush posted:

Where's your Growing Rites of Itlimoc?

That card is dumb.

(I never really thought about it, but I'm not in love with that kind of effect, it's not *really* a ramp deck)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

1st FNM is in the books. Went 2-1.