Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Thats hosed up and I think they should be banned for slandering gentle if they can't provide proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/983388442192236544?s=19

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this is gonna be like dr stone or b the beginning where they offhandedly remark she's 25 or something and then never broach the subject again

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/179/5017/1

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This arc is good as hell, yo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
that last panel of Gentle and Deku facing off is cool as hell

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the art's been great recently

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That was indeed pretty great

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't want Gentle to win but I don't want him to lose. :ohdear:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

That was fantastic. Gentles a great character and his backstory is so relateable. It was nice to see Deku genuinely pleading with him not to ruin the dreams of others to fulfill his own. I think Deku may be able to get through to him when he and La Brava see what they've been reduced to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I want him to lose to deku here and learn something from the experience (which is convenient because it's probably gonna happen). his goals are pretty selfish here

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Now that we know about his past... I bet the next arc or the next after that one are going to bring Shinso into the spotlight again. There's no way the similarities with Gentle are a coincidence.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

His goals are absolutely selfish but very relatable. Deku is probably the second person to ever take him seriously though which might be a way of breaking through to him.

Honestly Deku and Gentle have similar origins. Gentle's big mistake was similar to Deku's original heroism. The big difference was that Deku lucked out having All Might there to be inspired and save everyone instead of just interfering with hero business with disastrous results. Deku's flaw was his lack of a quirk while Gentle's was his general lack of ability but they both started at a similar place with a dream of being a famous hero and doing stuff they shouldn't have without thinking but with honestly good intentions. Gentle is basically alternate universe Deku that wasn't fortunate enough to have a one in a million encounter with the greatest hero in the world.

I really don't want this to end with him in jail but don't want him loving up the event either. It's a much more interesting situation than him just being a total rear end in a top hat because then you would 100% be rooting for Deku who is clearly in the right here.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 13, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Deku should not bully Gentle

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

This chapter was great! I want Deku to win even more now! I just hope he'll have enough time to get back to the festival to dance for Eri. :ohdear:

It looks like Hound Dog smells them on the first page, so he'll probably get involved in the next chapter.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This chapter made it very clear just how much I want Gentle and La Brava to end up joining UA.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I absolutely fall in the camp of Gentle and La Brava escaping and becoming reoccurring Team Rocket-esque chucklefucks

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Deku should not bully Gentle

Deku should bully Gentle because he needs someone to knock some sense into him.

I was not expecting our goofy villains for this arc to have such sad backstories.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah both of them are basically people with absurdly powerful quirks that were still abandoned and forgotten about by people around them for different reasons. Both were alienated by society which is why they want to put their mark on it when the alternative was either suicide or fading into absolute obscurity.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Gentle just needs someone to tell him he can become a hero.

:smith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Gentle is a great character but I feel a lot less bad about him probably losing now.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Gentle is a great character but I feel a lot less bad about him probably losing now.

Losing here would probably be better for him in the long run. He'll probably end up learning a lesson and become a better person.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Just losing here wouldn't really teach him much since he's been losing for most of his life. I'm not even sure what lesson that would teach him really. He needs to learn how to focus himself since someone with his quirk should be able to succeed. His initial fight with Deku confirmed he wasn't exactly a slouch even without the love powerup.

In comics people relentlessly chasing their dreams typically succeed since they are the protagonist but Gentle is an example of people that are destroyed by their dreams which is really sad and probably closer to reality. Even if his motivation for this heist to be self interest, to be fair most of the UA kids are motivated by different degrees of "being a hero is cool/powerful so I wanna be one!" especially early on so his self interest isn't that out of unreasonable. One of this comic's themes is what happens when being a Hero becomes a government sanctioned profession with a salary.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 13, 2018

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yo that was legit one of the best chapters in the entire series so far.

I want Deku to save Gentle.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man this still sort of rings hollow because 1-a has people with strong quirks who are complete dunces.

Kaminari got in despite being a bad student because his quirk was great for combat.

poo poo, Gentle could easily pass the UA entrance exam.

Edit: I mean, someone should've helped Gentle. He's perfectly capable of being a hero now. He should've just applied to UA since they only give a poo poo about battle prowess.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 13, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Man this still sort of rings hollow because 1-a has people with strong quirks who are complete dunces.

Kaminari got in despite being a bad student because his quirk was great for combat.

he's shown using his quirk poorly and getting someone hurt because of it. like mirio's quirk is initially seen as very powerful by the 1-a kids but suneater explains that it took a ton of practice to get down because of the huge downsides. it also fits with vigilantes and the crawler where he figured out better ways to use his quirk after high school. if he sucked at his quirk in addition to having failing grades then I'm not sure what the problem is

can you just not become a hero if you decide that's what you want to be later in life? having it be something you need to decide in middle school so you can get into a hero oriented high school seems pretty stupid to me

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

can you just not become a hero if you decide that's what you want to be later in life? having it be something you need to decide in middle school so you can get into a hero oriented high school seems pretty stupid to me

I mean, to a lesser degree, that's how the education system works here in America, and even moreso in Japan from my extremely vague understanding

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sounds like Japan to me.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
He failed the provisional license test four times in a row. He's good enough to get in, but apparently not good enough to graduate. He was failing all his classes and repeated multiple years, which implies he couldn't or wouldn't apply himself even in non-power related aspects.

UA isn't nearly as lax as you paint it. Yes, we don't see much of the kids studying because this is a shonen battle manga, but it has been made clear that the less scholastic kids have had to put extra hours to keep up with the standard.
There's a world of difference between "bad student" and "multiple repeater".

It's clear he eventually shaped up, but he looked to me like a bit of an airheaded dreamer in his youth.

I wonder if there's institutions that allow people to get hero licenses after graduation. I mean, there's adult college programs and stuff.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
He should join up with The Crawler and become a vigilante! Just thinking about it, I feel that Gentle and La Brava are way more suited to MHA: Illegals than the regular comic. They just have that "feel", you know?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Manatee Cannon posted:

having it be something you need to decide in middle school so you can get into a hero oriented high school seems pretty stupid to me

They're in Japan, remember. What high school you get into determines your entire life forever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Edit: I mean, someone should've helped Gentle. He's perfectly capable of being a hero now. He should've just applied to UA since they only give a poo poo about battle prowess.

I mean Kaminari passed the license exam when Gentle couldn't. So did people with quirks seemingly even less suited to combat than gentle like Kouda and Hagakure.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
In Vigilantes, Ingenium has this whole talk about how his family's hero firm doesn't just hire hero school grads and that you can definitely become a sidekick without a diploma. Gentle just wants to be super famous and doesn't necessarily care about saving people.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Kaminari passed the license exam when Gentle couldn't. So did people with quirks seemingly even less suited to combat than gentle like Kouda and Hagakure.

Kaminari and Ashido are considered the "dumbest" people in the class, but I wonder how their grades compare to people who didn't make it into UA. Or how they compare to their classmates from middle school.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

As it's been pointed out, the UA exam is actually pretty unfair to certain kinds of Quirks. Gentle is certainly above the level of a good number of students and heroes but his quirk isn't exactly great for destroying robots. Assuming the exam is the same or similar I can see why he couldn't pass it. He could be a fantastic rescue hero though.

DrSunshine posted:

He should join up with The Crawler and become a vigilante! Just thinking about it, I feel that Gentle and La Brava are way more suited to MHA: Illegals than the regular comic. They just have that "feel", you know?

I was thinking that too. It would have been perfect for him, his situation is very similar to the Crawlers too. But even though Gentle was in a terrible situation he still made the choice to become a villain instead of a vigilante, which he could have done and likely could have been successful at. A vigilante won't make history though. Thats what makes him a villain.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 13, 2018

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gentle's quirk seems like it'd be decent at saving people from robots. Also Kouda managed to pass that test, so clearly it's not impossible.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kouda presumably got rats and birds to chew through the cables and such. It wouldn't be impossible for Gentle to do it but his quirk is almost purely defensive and evasive so it'd be very hard for him to do much to the robots imo. And I don't think we can blame him for failing the hidden save people test. Even Iida failed that one.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gentle passed his entrance exams, it was just that he kept failing classes at the hero school itself and repeatedly failed his provisional license exam.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The school Gentle was at probably didn't have the ridiculous sort of entrance exam that UA did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

bibimi kenranzaki is the best character in this manga and is number one..