Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bringing back up my proposal for a beogh rework:

- still gives you smiting, recall followers
- possibly walk on water/virtual armour skill levels but these seem less absolutely essential

- the chance to convert orcs on sight drops a bunch
- other orcs turn friendly (not allied) when encountered
- (imo orc uniques should auto-convert except for saint roka who duels you)
- orc mines is basically nonhostile in the same way jiyva works w slime

- beogh simply sends you bands of disciples directly (e.g. starting w some orcs summoning in, scaling up to an orc knight+retinue)
- all warriors+ are armed w polearms, knights+ get crossbows as well
- you have a maximum number of each kind of orc (they start fighting over status if you go over i.e. one of the others in their subtype kills them). possibly scales on piety?

- beogh gives piety-based lifesaving for caster orc allies to make them less likely to bite it so quick
- this is no longer true for yourself though, youve gotta prove youre hard enough to be one of beogh's champions
- no longer can resurrect those warlords but the game feeds you knights often enough at that piety level you'll have a new warlord soon

e: motherfucking snipe

ee: while im up here, add hooves 2 and claws 1 to beastly appendage

eee: reflavor player ghosts as idk dungeon memories or whatever, just make them lose the undead resists

eeee: the edits will continue until posting commences

eeeee: i ran into an open vault w wolf spider zombies in. before finding the entrance to lair. i saw zombies and started powertabbing

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Tollymain posted:

i ran into an open vault w wolf spider zombies in. before finding the entrance to lair. i saw zombies and started powertabbing

Related: I believe there's a Ru altar that has a couple monsters that are smitten with Ru effects to make them harmless. One of them is a manticore who gets paralyzed. All these monsters are loose and AFAICT these effects don't get applied until you actually see the Ru altar, which means that noise can lure them away from the altar. Cue meeting a wandering manticore at D7.

I've also run into cyclops before lair several times but that's probably just because crawl doesn't like me and thinks I need more large rocks in my life.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is that working as intended or

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Tollymain posted:

is that working as intended or

I doubt it - I'm pretty sure I've seen monsters with odd statuses alert me to the vault before. Either an unrelated manticore placed out of spite, or a bug.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Are spiders bugs?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think in the taxonomic scheme of things bugs are specifically an order of insects

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Depends what you mean by bug. The usual definition means basically land based arthropod which spiders are

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats the colloquial definition

theyre hemiptera, specifically one of the four major orders of insects. beetles, bugs, flies, and butterflies/moths

e: wait no i think its like fifth

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 13, 2018

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

took om the Tomb for the first time while worshipping TSO and died on floor 3 and all I can think is:

man, evocables need some love. a life without rods is a boring as hell life, let alone a life not dedicated to Pakellas

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

my point is make evocable items more interesting at high levels of evocables instead of just piling on a ton of boring spellpower that tops out too fast

maybe I want temporary deep water with a phial or I'm forcing a Glaciate out of my wand of iceblast

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anybody spotted any obvious holes in that beogh proposal

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, but my personal beogh gripe is trying to get the band of orcs I want being really really annoying because I gotta separate out the types I don't want while keeping the ones I do which means a lot of telling orcs to wait on stairs then going back down and recalling+praying for good rng

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tollymain posted:

has anybody spotted any obvious holes in that beogh proposal

idk is it this

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I feel like the dueling with St Roka might be hard to implement, because you'd need to stop your allies and his allies from joining in.

But I'm not a coder.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh i dont mean literally duel that would be a pain in the rear end

but he is a rival to be defeated

e: actually on second thought thats exactly what an orc duel would look like. just two mobs led by the ones officially dueling plowing into each other

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 13, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IronicDongz posted:

No, but my personal beogh gripe is trying to get the band of orcs I want being really really annoying because I gotta separate out the types I don't want while keeping the ones I do which means a lot of telling orcs to wait on stairs then going back down and recalling+praying for good rng

the idea here is to prevent all that busywork by giving you a decently strong and varied, slowly replenishing force directly. mages are less pointless because beogh intervenes to protect them, so you also dont need to worry as much about trying to only bring orc knights/warlords with you

Weeping Wound posted:

idk is it this

how much does that break the game/xp curve?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
see, I don't want a decently strong and varied band of orcs. I want a small number I can train into turbo orcs as quickly as possible.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are you trying to say you like the micromanagement system or that even w survivability buffs you dont want any spellcasters or

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

I changed the Demigods over to Prometheans. I was going to wait until after the FR/PR/etc poll is done and I actually start development of v2.0, but I'm sick of reading about it. For mechanical changes, they now have a -1 XP aptitude (matches every other species that levels slowly) and have their attribute growth changed from 'choose attribute to gain two of every three levels' to 'gain one random attribute every level and choose one attribute every three levels'. The latter is probably way too strong, but I'll walk it back once people play around with it. Paperdoll/monster tiles and additional flavor inspiration are courtesy of Metoron.

While I had my setup open, some tile commits. Metoron updated the harp of healing tiles (thank god), and I added the felid mummy tiles (from IronicDongz) to the mon/player folder for tile picking until I can figure out where/how to fit them into the game as monsters.

Edit: I only changed the English description to something else, so all other languages will still probably describe Prometheans as Demigods.

I realize I forgot to mention why I pushed this without a vote. The minor changes/number tweak survey results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r-Mbu-EYO1cgW_TNiOrGjGJEnOtd0Wr2_qAALHwniJI/edit?usp=sharing

I counted the write-ins for New Format, as they fit the definition of how I want the format to go. To summarize, this will only be for changes that are minor (I don't have to add/remove/modify a bunch of stuff about how it works, just quick number adjustments and superficial stuff). I'll discuss the change before I make it to get feedback on it. If a bunch of people voice their opinions that they don't like it, or if there's a bunch of debate about it, I'll kick it to the normal voting process instead.

There weren't a lot of people who voted in it compared to the FR and Design Detail polls, so I'm willing to revert this if I suddenly get a lot of complaints or people don't like anything I'm putting forward.
----------
In other news, aiming to complete and push out the FR/PR/mainline commit survey this weekend unless something comes up (like laziness).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

How long until the changes you've made hit berotato?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

How long until the changes you've made hit berotato?

Unfortunately, probably not until v2.0. I'm not sure whether johnstein has the build pointed towards the 'trunk' branch or the 'stable release' branch at this moment (same with chequers and CPO). Regardless of which one it is on, I would prefer it stay on the 'stable release' one due to the fact that I often push super broken things to my dev branch without realizing it for a week or more at times and I probably wouldn't magically get better about it even if I knew it was breaking online games.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Understandable. Wouldn't it be 1.1 though? I'm not 100% on how version numbering works.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe bother the folk who run it

imo the perfect plan

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tollymain posted:

bringing back up my proposal for a beogh rework:

- still gives you smiting, recall followers
- possibly walk on water/virtual armour skill levels but these seem less absolutely essential

- the chance to convert orcs on sight drops a bunch
- other orcs turn friendly (not allied) when encountered
- (imo orc uniques should auto-convert except for saint roka who duels you)

- beogh simply sends you bands of disciples directly (e.g. starting w some orcs summoning in, scaling up to an orc knight+retinue)
- all warriors+ are armed w polearms, knights+ get crossbows as well
- you have a maximum number of each kind of orc (they start fighting over status if you go over i.e. one of the others in their subtype kills them). possibly scales on piety?

- beogh gives piety-based lifesaving for caster orc allies to make them less likely to bite it so quick
- this is no longer true for yourself though, youve gotta prove youre hard enough to be one of beogh's champions
- no longer can resurrect those warlords but the game feeds you knights often enough at that piety level you'll have a new warlord soon
I agree with weeping wound that making the mines neutral is a bad idea for xp balance.
Plus, beogh loving it when you kill heretic nonbeliever orcs and especially priests is cool. IMO make orcs outside the mine neutral, but have the orc mines themselves stay hostile so Beogh can cheer you on while you murder all of them in your holy quest to prove yourself as the messiah.

Tollymain posted:

eee: reflavor player ghosts as idk dungeon memories or whatever, just make them lose the undead resists
Hepliaqlkana-flavored memory things sounds like a good idea.

e2: when an orc priest calls upon beogh to smite you, beogh should have a chance based on your piety to smite the priest instead.
Also maybe make Beogh take until 1 or 2* to start making orcs neutral so he doesn't take too much of the steam out of early game orc packs.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 14, 2018

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Understandable. Wouldn't it be 1.1 though? I'm not 100% on how version numbering works.

Version numbering is subjective. I just prefer the format of numbers to the left of the decimal as major versions (releases that do things such as new features) and numbers to the right as minor versions (bug fix/emergency release versions).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tollymain posted:

are you trying to say you like the micromanagement system or that even w survivability buffs you dont want any spellcasters or
I'm saying I only want like 6 orcs at once max so I can level them up and I don't want spellcasters. I want orc warlords with polearms I can turn into a meat grinder and funnel the whole dungeon into

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at that point just have a trog-style orc version of brothers in arms to pull in an honor guard for a time to back you up

it'd be a lot more boring than current beogh but i guess way more simple. i like the whole messianic army thing beogh has going on now, though. definitely could use some cleaning up.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
letting each orc gain the same amount of XP regardless of how many there are instead of having it split would go a long, long ways towards the big army style actually being useful as opposed to a small SWAT team of orcs

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of which do allies in general still give an xp penalty based on how much damage they do

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I think so.

FR: If so, remove that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
'pure summoning' aka farting around in the backline is only a good tactical mechanic when theres no enemies w aoes, smite-targeted attacks, blinking, etc

other sources of pets limit the amount of meat available to you via piety-gain, piety-gain gifts, and/or corpses + undead crumble timers

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tollymain posted:

'pure summoning' aka farting around in the backline is only a good tactical mechanic when theres no enemies w aoes, smite-targeted attacks, blinking, etc

other sources of pets limit the amount of meat available to you via piety-gain, piety-gain gifts, and/or corpses + undead crumble timers

solution: lv. 6 summon spell "Summon Vivid Butterflies"

see, they're like the normal butterflies, but with vivid colors, so enemies like to target them more

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
High spellpower Summon Butterflies should have a 1% chance to summon a Moth of Wrath because it would be hilarious.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what im saying is that delegating combat entirely to your pets is a poor enough tactic that its already its own punishment, and that using pets shouldnt be detrimental to xp gain

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah honestly summons are more than sufficiently nerfed by the fact that summons can't fight offscreen and are limited in number, there's really no need for the XP penalty. Nobody in their right mind played a Mummoner even before those changes were made.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Summoning is still overpowered but I think the XP halving is poor design that doesn't address the problems - you can still use your summons for hard enemies without losing a significant amount of XP, it just makes weaker stuff more annoying because you want to hit them with a weapon you haven't trained or something. Getting rid of XP halving would be good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm also in favor of it. Honestly even tavern is. If we get rid of XP halving we can start looking at how to balance summons properly, if that's what people want anyways. Either way it should go.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Missing out on XP feels incredibly bad; for that reason, I have never used summons, Summon Butterflies aside.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

IronicDongz posted:

I'm also in favor of it. Honestly even tavern is. If we get rid of XP halving we can start looking at how to balance summons properly, if that's what people want anyways. Either way it should go.

The more summons you have the higher the chance they'll stop listening we've turn neural or even turn against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Elephant Parade posted:

Missing out on XP feels incredibly bad; for that reason, I have never used summons, Summon Butterflies aside.
You should consider using summons. You don't lose that much and they're really loving good.

Mana viper is my favorite. It hits hard, sees invis, has antimagic attacks, you can have multiple of them, and it's also a hexes spell so hexers can branch into it easily

• Locked thread