Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yeah, that's with the seat back as far as it can go, which for me is the default position for the driver's seat in any vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Still waiting to borrow an engine hoist to pull the motor out so installed some stuff that came in the mail. Choke cable to replace the aftermarket one that didn't lock, they have started re-manufacturing this type so I was happy to find that.

New (manufactured February) column indicator stalk. Mine was missing the charming little green lamp at the end.

Unfortunately out of the box I was unable to get the green light to work. Further research indicates this is a "one fits all" solution by Lucas for a bunch of cars that took a pretty similar part including the early Mini and possibly the Morris 1100. While the wiring is close it wasn't exactly what the original had. This unit expects the output for the panel light from a flasher can but this car never had flashing indicators, only trafficators. The switch I removed has the bulb in line with the trafficator solenoids, I just need to replace the 1 wire up the stalk with 2 and isolate from the shaft.

But it's doing the job for now.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Apparently valve lifter adjustments aren't done anymore because my Versa spent an entire day at a dealership only for me to be told they don't service the valves the amount of lifter noise is normal for my mileage. :cripes:

Of course the lifter noise is normal for my loving mileage, that's why I wanted them reshimmed!

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Spent most of the day dealing with coolant stuff on an 02 STS I picked up for peanuts. Cleaned the recovery tank, checked the purge line and cleaned out the hollow bolt that supposedly purges air out of the cooling system. I don't think I let the cooling system purge long enough, so that'll be on tomorrow's poo poo list.

Should have taken a few shots of the coolant tank while it was all gunked up to hell with......something. Looks like the previous owner dumped a shitload of stop leak tablets and called it a day.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
:j: "My car is making a grinding noise."

That doesn't look good:

WELL THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM, LADY
Note that these cheapass pads don't have wear indicators:

Fixed:

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 13, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Apparently valve lifter adjustments aren't done anymore because my Versa spent an entire day at a dealership only for me to be told they don't service the valves the amount of lifter noise is normal for my mileage. :cripes:

Of course the lifter noise is normal for my loving mileage, that's why I wanted them reshimmed!

So, Versas don't have self adjusting hydraulic lifters?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Do you have to replace your HVAC vents every time you go into the odd gears? :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Dagen H posted:

:j: "My car is making a grinding noise."

That doesn't look good:

WELL THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM, LADY
Note that these cheapass pads don't have wear indicators:

Fixed:

Looks like they have wear indicators to me, they made a funny sound when they were worn out!!
Also, jack stands on a loose surface like that is extremely dangerous, the legs dig in and they fall over.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Larrymer posted:

Do you have to replace your HVAC vents every time you go into the odd gears? :v:

yeah that was my first thought as well

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Larrymer posted:

That's why the pointy end is directed at my palm, otherwise it would be dangerously close to the fan speed switch in 5th. Thank god I only have one stalk on the left side, otherwise I wouldn't be able to go into 1st

E: I want a different tap handle, but this one was free

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

The MR16DE used in the US Versa has solid lifters, from what some quick googling dug up. You replace the lifters when they start ticking, and Nissan offers them in various sizes to compensate for wear. :stare: From the FSM:

Nissan FSM posted:

Available thickness of valve lifter: 26 sizes range 3.00 to 3.50 mm (0.1181 to 0.1378 in) in steps of 0.02 mm (0.0008 in) (when manufactured at factory). Refer to EM-111, "Standard and Limit"

Of course, the cams come out to do this. :argh:

A lot of other Nissans used a shim + bucket design. Apparently the penny pinchers got ahold of the Versa even moreso than usual and decided they didn't need the shims.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 13, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

chrisgt posted:

jack stands on a loose surface like that is extremely dangerous, the legs dig in and they fall over.

But it's the only surface I've got :(

I have plywood pads, I just couldn't get the jack high enough to fit one. I wasn't under the car anyway.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Dagen H posted:

I have plywood pads, I just couldn't get the jack high enough to fit one. I wasn't under the car anyway.

Drive car onto one pad, this lifts car up. Then you can place jack and other pad underneath jack.

Don't use jacks/jackstands on soft surfaces.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SEKCobra posted:

Holy gently caress, tire shops here are a loving mafia, they charge over a 100 $ to put tires on if you don't buy them from them, and it still comes out cheaper than if you buy the tires directly. At least I've found a few places that will actually put the tires on quite a bit cheaper, really wish I could just rent a balancer for a few minutes.

This is why I bought a 300 dollar mounting machine and a 250 dollar balancing machine. The only time I see the inside of a tire shop is bringing my old rubber to be recycled now.

It's hard work on my ancient mounting machine but a little elbow grease should fix that up and even if not, I could use the exercise and I know no one is loving it up but me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The MR16DE used in the US Versa has solid lifters, from what some quick googling dug up. You replace the lifters when they start ticking, and Nissan offers them in various sizes to compensate for wear. :stare: From the FSM:

A lot of other Nissans used a shim + bucket design. Apparently the penny pinchers got ahold of the Versa even moreso than usual and decided they didn't need the shims.

Oh what the gently caress you cheap bastards. Then they refuse to fix the problems that causes...

kastein posted:

This is why I bought a 300 dollar mounting machine and a 250 dollar balancing machine. The only time I see the inside of a tire shop is bringing my old rubber to be recycled now.

It's hard work on my ancient mounting machine but a little elbow grease should fix that up and even if not, I could use the exercise and I know no one is loving it up but me.

One day, when I have a shop...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kastein posted:

I'm 100% regretting not buying the newer Hunter mounting/balancer from my neighbors shop when it closed. Even @ $1,800 for the pair it was still worth it. I've easily spent double that much on M+B so far.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

My Versa has the MR18DE in it and that uses shim + bucket, and apparently the SST makes it so you don't have to pull the cam to replace the shims.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Dagen H posted:

Ive got the same deal as you with the gravel driveway. I use 3/4" plywood pads for my stands but I have an SUV with good ground clearance and a pretty nice jack that lifts pretty high. If you have a low car I can see how that would be tough.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Plastidipped my wheels. I think they looked weird with the two tone, and thought this would look better on white.

Original beside one with a base coat of black.

Done. Three coats black, three coats anthracite, two of gloss. I'll let them cure a bit and throw them on this weekend.

After looking at these, maybe I should have done black. :v: We'll see what they look like mounted, but probably just fine.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 14, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
RE: Jackstands on gravel.

My BMW 328 is slooooowly tried to crush me against the shed beside my apartment's assigned parking spot one day when I was swapping my winter-summer tires (can't remember which direction, doesn't matter). The jackstand was looking a little crooked and I got out of the way on general principles, and just as I was squeezing past the front bumper the whole car went into tripod mode, front-right corner onto the ground and back-left wheel up in the air. I had just finished putting the front-right wheel on, with about 2 feet of clearance between the car and the wall of the shed.

So I bought some cheap boards, about 2 feet long each, four of 'em, and those go under the jackstand once the jack has that corner in the air if I'm on gravel.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A challenger has appeared

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

thats not a challenger, its not even the same brand :rolleyes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Nice!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

kastein posted:

Yeah this is probably going to be a buy in the future. I swapped to summer tires yesterday and fair enough they didn't charge extra for buying tires online (deal with the online retailer) but still had to pay $120 to have them mounted, balanced and fit on the car. Didn't like how the rims were all dirty, scuff marks on the interior (had one rim in the back seat of 2-door car). My dad will be buying the same tires for his V70. He'll be paying at least $200 for the pleasure of buying the tires from the tire place.
Oh and they filled the tires to 2.9, 2.8 in the rear, 2.6 and 2.7 in the front (should be 2.3 front, 2.1 rear). I was thinking "drat this feels harsh and bumpy". Yeah no wonder...

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 14, 2018

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Old flexplates, specifically Jeep XJ 4.0L ones, make great jackstand bases for use on dirt. The reluctor ring for the CPS is sheetmetal and sticks up about an inch which digs into the dirt and keeps it from sliding around.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Sweet dude congratulations. Good looking Saturn; never imagined I would think those words.
How many miles?

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
So you, like, bought another Saturn? On Purpose?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Devil you know.

Plus, parts car.

Like, right now, I have no money and little time to work on things. If my car died or got in a wreck, I'd just go buy another <$2000 Crown Vic, because I know how to work on them and I have whatever percentage of my current car left as a donor car. When you're poor (or frugal), it often makes sense to "lock in" on a model, even one that may not be the best.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 14, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's how collections of terrible cars get started.

Then one day you're that guy trying to sell 1 running k-car with 14 parts cars as a package on Craigslist and even scrappers won't take them.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5lj23EUR9U&t=50s

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
loving drove it for the first time in forever. Seems like the new igntion module mounting plate that I made is working, it doesn't want to shut off from a symptom of no spark anymore. Although now when warm and in closed loop it starts oscillating idle, from 1000 down to 750 or so. The O2 Sensor voltage also starts jumping from .1 to 1v. The fuel map is way heavy and I started backing it down, but I'm not sure if the wiring to the O2 sensor is funky, the sensor is funky, or if that's a result of it dumping gas and cutting it off abruptly. Real chicken and egg situation. Now that the motor is hot I gotta wait to start playing with it again. I'm going to pull the sensor, do some continuity checks on the wiring, wrap a portion of it that goes around the header and run the whole wire differently. It's nice to be back onto a track of troubleshooting again though, and perhaps my neighbors like seeing the space in front of my house empty for a minute.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Swapped a control arm. It was bad enough that when I went to mount my summer wheels they moved about 1" before the wrench clicked.

I also used maximum level cheapness and reused the 2 year old bushing.. 2-Jaw pullers are definitely handy to have around.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Got my EG Civic up and running so I can drive it to Slung's tomorrow where we will begin rally prep (unless we find a more interesting car before then).

It didn't start - battery read 9.68V - so I put the battery on a Battery Tender for an hour. When I came back, it read 12.3V, so I put the battery in and it fired up with very little struggle.

The next half hour was spent tearing rear end through my neighbourhood and the adjacent neighbourhoods to "recharge the battery, officer."

Little confused about what I saw at the battery though, I would have figured 9.68V meant RIP for the battery. Seemed to start up fine a few subsequent times, so :shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A little italian tune-up never hurt anybody.

Unless it's a quad battery, i don't think that cute little engine would ever really tax even a mostly dead one.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Drove it around on a grocery run while watching the temperature gauge like a hawk. There's still an occasional gurgling noise somewhere around the heater core that suggests trapped air in the system, but research tells me it'll go away in a day or so as the cooling system self-purges.

I'm surprised no one's given me poo poo yet for buying a GM with a Northstar in it.

EDIT: Bonus pic of crap that was in the plastic coolant tank:

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 15, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Domestic Amuse posted:

I'm surprised no one's given me poo poo yet for buying a GM with a Northstar in it.

It's not polite to abuse the retarded.

Put it in a Fiero

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Domestic Amuse posted:

I won't give you poo poo about it, as I've owned two.

Does your heater work? Serious question, if not that means around 2 rounds of stop-leak-super-nano-particle poo poo have been ran through.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Colostomy Bag posted:

I won't give you poo poo about it, as I've owned two.

Does your heater work? Serious question, if not that means around 2 rounds of stop-leak-super-nano-particle poo poo have been ran through.

It works, or at least it does when you put the right amount of coolant in it.

Protip: watch both sides of the coolant tank when you fill it. Even though one side's filled to the fill mark, you'll need to keep filling so coolant percolates into the other side of tank where the coolant sensor resides. Otherwise you'll end up with a CHECK COOLANT LEVEL warning and you'll wonder why your heater's blowing cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Devil you know.

Plus, parts car.

Like, right now, I have no money and little time to work on things. If my car died or got in a wreck, I'd just go buy another <$2000 Crown Vic, because I know how to work on them and I have whatever percentage of my current car left as a donor car. When you're poor (or frugal), it often makes sense to "lock in" on a model, even one that may not be the best.

Yep, this is why I bought my third terrible 300 to 500 dollar 98-02 Forester recently. I hate them as cars, and they're not particularly reliable in this price range, but I've got more spare parts than I know what to do with and far too much experience​ fixing them.

It's just a daily POS that soaks up salt and miles and honestly, the fact that I have zero interest in it as a project makes me less likely to start spending money upgrading it. I did debate an EZ30D swap on my last one, but that's because I had the harness and ECU on hand already for free, the engine sounded like poo poo, and during a moment of weakness, a friend of a friend offered me a free longblock :v: