Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i guarantee tim will bring istylus functionality to the iphonxi since it's going to be such an utter shitshow of a phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when the iphone x2 comes out it will have ipencil and icrayon support but no place to store them

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

when the iphone x2 comes out it will have ipencil and icrayon support but no place to store them

you just plug it into the lightning port duh

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

when x2 comes out it will have a cx4 dsp for 3D wireframe acceleration

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
turns out the second gen iphone x is actually the new mac pro

Tim thinks we're gonna love it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
timb's apple is having a hell of time getting those leaks plugged

The leakiest ship posted:

Last month, Apple caught and fired the employee responsible for leaking details from an internal, confidential meeting about Apple’s software roadmap. Hundreds of software engineers were in attendance, and thousands more within the organization received details of its proceedings. One person betrayed their trust.

The employee who leaked the meeting to a reporter later told Apple investigators that he did it because he thought he wouldn’t be discovered. But people who leak -- whether they’re Apple employees, contractors or suppliers -- do get caught and they’re getting caught faster than ever.

In many cases, leakers don’t set out to leak. Instead, people who work for Apple are often targeted by press, analysts and bloggers who befriend them on professional and social networks like LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook and begin to pry for information. While it may seem flattering to be approached, it’s important to remember that you’re getting played. The success of these outsiders is measured by obtaining Apple’s secrets from you and making them public. A scoop about an unreleased Apple product can generate massive traffic for a publication and financially benefit the blogger or reporter who broke it. But the Apple employee who leaks has everything to lose.

The impact of a leak goes far beyond the people who work on a project.

Leaking Apple’s work undermines everyone at Apple and the years they’ve invested in creating Apple products. “Thousands of people work tirelessly for months to deliver each major software release,” says UIKit lead Josh Shaffer, whose team’s work was part of the iOS 11 leak last fall. “Seeing it leak is devastating for all of us.”

The impact of a leak goes beyond the people who work on a particular project — it’s felt throughout the company. Leaked information about a new product can negatively impact sales of the current model; give rival companies more time to begin on a competitive response; and lead to fewer sales of that new product when it arrives. “We want the chance to tell our customers why the product is great, and not have that done poorly by someone else,” says Greg Joswiak of Product Marketing.

Investments by Apple have had an enormous impact on the company’s ability to identify and catch leakers. Just before last September’s special event, an employee leaked a link to the gold master of iOS 11 to the press, again believing he wouldn’t be caught. The unreleased OS detailed soon-to-be-announced software and hardware including iPhone X. Within days, the leaker was identified through an internal investigation and fired. Global Security’s digital forensics also helped catch several employees who were feeding confidential details about new products including iPhone X, iPad Pro and AirPods to a blogger at 9to5Mac.

Leakers in the supply chain are getting caught, too. Global Security has worked hand-in-hand with suppliers to prevent theft of Apple’s intellectual property as well as to identify individuals who try to exceed their access. They’ve also partnered with suppliers to identify vulnerabilities — both physical and technological — and ensure their security levels meet or exceed Apple’s expectations. These programs have nearly eliminated the theft of prototypes and products from factories, caught leakers and prevented many others from leaking in the first place.

Leakers do not simply lose their jobs at Apple. In some cases, they face jail time and massive fines for network intrusion and theft of trade secrets both classified as federal crimes. In 2017, Apple caught 29 leakers. 12 of those were arrested. Among those were Apple employees, contractors and some partners in Apple’s supply chain. These people not only lose their jobs, they can face extreme difficulty finding employment elsewhere. “The potential criminal consequences of leaking are real,” says Tom Moyer of Global Security, “and that can become part of your personal and professional identity forever.”

While they carry serious consequences, leaks are completely avoidable. They are the result of a decision by someone who may not have considered the impact of their actions. “Everyone comes to Apple to do the best work of their lives — work that matters and contributes to what all 135,000 people in this company are doing together,” says Joswiak. “The best way to honor those contributions is by not leaking.”

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

lmao

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
reminder stebe had multiple factory workers thrown off the roof to have them punished for leaking

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
how is “I thought I wouldn’t be caught” an excuse for leaking?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
its not a crime if you dont get caught

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
also lol at risking a career to tell some idiot reporter about the notch

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

also lol at risking a career to tell some idiot reporter about the notch
"he sits all day in that ridiculous mansion eating candy and tweeting about sjws"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

whats a better excuse

asking for a friend

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

it's an entirely valid expectation that tim would just ignore the leak like he always does and just shrug it off

steve wouldn't have stopped with just a firing, he would have powerbombed the leaker through a table and then blackballed them from the industry for life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wouldn’t it be easy to buy a burner with cash and leak from it

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

echinopsis posted:

wouldn’t it be easy to buy a burner with cash and leak from it

According to this article leaked to the press by Global Security, no you fool. You incompetent rear end. You rancid pile of poo poo. “Just lol,” said Sr. Plant for Press Optics Kobayashi.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is there really no way to transfer mail accounts from iphone to ipad :eyepop:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyways, any ipad app faves?

also holy poo poo is snapchat ipad app bad. like im legit baffled, it is a stretched 640x480 poo poo of some sort - you even have zoom in and zoom out buttons that take the whole window , wthat the gently caress

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

there is no snapchat app for ipad, that's the phone app. they only make one for phones and you can't use a snapchat account on two devices at the same time lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Last Chance posted:

you can't use a snapchat account on two devices at the same time lol

ah the blackberry gambit aka the ol' spicy sillyballs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Last Chance posted:

there is no snapchat app for ipad, that's the phone app. they only make one for phones and you can't use a snapchat account on two devices at the same time lol

oh, i see

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

According to this article leaked to the press by Global Security, no you fool. You incompetent rear end. You rancid pile of poo poo. “Just lol,” said Sr. Plant for Press Optics Kobayashi.

the memo was leaked to mark gurman, and, according to john fireball, all the examples in the memo of leakers who got caught and fired were people who leaked to mark gurman. 🤔

https://daringfireball.net/2018/04/the_impact_of_leaks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idg how leaking trade secrets is an actual crime, like sure it exposes you to a major civil suit rodgering but what's criminal about breaking a promise to a company, I guess if you sell the info it's fraud?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

idg how leaking trade secrets is an actual crime, like sure it exposes you to a major civil suit rodgering but what's criminal about breaking a promise to a company, I guess if you sell the info it's fraud?

depending on legal system, the breach of contract may be a crime in itself

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

makes perfect sense, considering who laws and their enforcement serve primarily

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

you have brought shame and dishonour to Ronald McDonald, leaking hamburger secrets. say “McDonald’s” to end your life

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qirex posted:

Apple is subject to global export laws because we sell stuff to the US government. Those laws treat any breach of information the same way as if you sent plans for a stealth bomber to the Russian government.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

selling it can be fraud, also theft is possible as is insider trading

it’s worth investigating

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

OldAlias posted:

you have brought shame and dishonour to Ronald McDonald, leaking hamburger secrets. say “McDonald’s” to end your life

mcdonalds
  /
:smith:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

cis autodrag posted:

Apple is subject to global export laws because we sell stuff to the US government. Those laws treat any breach of information the same way as if you sent plans for a stealth bomber to the Russian government.

did u know that WWIII actually started because the Russians found out about MetalKit 2 a week early?!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kobayashi posted:

did u know that WWIII actually started because the Russians found out about MetalKit 2 a week early?!

the blood of a thousand americans, on the hand of one itunes developer who one day had enough

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

OldAlias posted:

McDonald’s

you mother loving liar

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

the blood of a thousand americans, on the hand of one itunes developer who one day had enough

bullshit it's against the eula to use itunes to make chemical weapons

https://www.cultofmac.com/140224/itunes-eula-wtf/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

McDonald’s

you mother loving liar

Mc'sDonald

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i just spent 3 hours trying to help my dad log into facetime on his mac.

it just works, except when its "an error occurred during activation" and there is no help anywhere

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

same but I haven’t tried to fix it. after trying to log in to my account on my Mac for sms & iMessages it just doesn’t work and gives a garbage error msg, but login is fine for other services

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
sometimes mac messages will randomly refuse to send my messages until i relogin, lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
apple should buy microsoft and just shut it down except for what they need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

apple should buy microsoft and just shut it down except for what they need

thats a funny way to say apple should buy onenote