Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

:same:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Dang, so many good forum names in one image.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lmao

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"horngus of a dong" is a great username.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

At this point I just assume every 2x2 grid of pictures is a loss edit. This one, though, might be my favorite.

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Apr 13, 2018

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

fuckin :same: more than any of u

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

He also once stated something along the lines of

"When a plane's engine stops it just glides, when a helicopter's engine stops it's just an expensive brick ":smuggo:

Which is fine, other than the fact that helicopters can glide just fine and landing with engine failure is potentially much safer.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

okay but by what mechanism do you control it at that point

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm pretty sure that giant joystick is a way to adjust the position of the rotors, so you can probably finagle it into a glide... a really fast glide, but a glide.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Captain Splendid posted:

"When a plane's engine stops it just glides, when a helicopter's engine stops it's just an expensive brick ":smuggo:

Which is fine, other than the fact that helicopters can glide just fine and landing with engine failure is potentially much safer.

Don't big-rear end planes have to be going a certain speed for lift to overcome their massive weight? Like, if you slow down, you are a brick.

Edit: for helicopters, see "autorotation"
the blades don't just stop spinning with engine failure, they have momentum and stuff and the air flowing over them makes them turn too (like you can blow on a fan to make its blades turn).

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Apr 13, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Captain Splendid posted:

Yeah my neighbour was a helicopter pilot and he had quite a few total engine failures, he's still around.
I love when people that might be an expert on one topic suddenly decide they are an expert on all topics.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Doctor Malaver posted:

You mean husky ejaculating into socks and husband eating them and making GBS threads them out OR husband making GBS threads into socks and then husky eating them and ejaculating?

The General posted:

I am looking for this picture. It appears to have disappeared off imgur :(

Worry not dear goon

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Aleph Null posted:

Don't big-rear end planes have to be going a certain speed for lift to overcome their massive weight? Like, if you slow down, you are a brick.

The words you are looking for are "stall speed".

Helos and autorotation are a thing, but you are not going to move forward much at all, you are just going to go into the ground at a slower speed than if you just dropped.

With fixed wing aircraft, you have what's called the glide ratio, which is a number of feet the aircraft can move forward before dropping a foot in altitude (while at it's optimal glide speed). If you can maintain your optimal glide speed, you may be able to do things like fly 45 miles and save the lives of yourself, your crew, and your 69 (nice) passengers ooooor, you could flameout both your engines due to unforseen icing, and dead-stick your way all the way to NOLA from way out over the Atlantic, all at 29 years of age and posessing only one eye.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVvt7hP5a-0

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

I don't see these statements as being inherently contradictory .

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

deoju posted:

I don't see these statements as being inherently contradictory .

https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/984804085969948673

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Dannywilson posted:

The words you are looking for are "stall speed".

Helos and autorotation are a thing, but you are not going to move forward much at all, you are just going to go into the ground at a slower speed than if you just dropped.

Yeah... Helos can't really "glide" so much as "fall with forward momentum and slightly slowed by autorotation"

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Captain Splendid posted:

Yeah and also, like, what’s the point? Was there some kind of plane vs helicopter elitism war I missed?

drat, all those helicopter fans really got owned by that one!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

veedubfreak posted:

What kind of brain trauma causes people to think these are funny?

I think it's funny!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

eonblue174 posted:

I think it's funny!

So what kind of brain trauma do you have?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

:perfect:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Rysithusiku posted:

Yeah... Helos can't really "glide" so much as "fall with forward momentum and slightly slowed by autorotation"

I thought autorotation did more than slightly slow you...it's effective enough to make a safe landing assuming the pilot is skilled enough. Or were you talking about the effect of just the blades spinning on their own, before the pilot adjusts the pitch to gain more lift.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The Bananana posted:

So what kind of brain trauma do you have?

The one that makes a person answer an one-year-old post

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

OutOfPrint posted:

At this point I just assume every 2x2 grid of pictures is a loss edit. This one, though, might be my favorite.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

For your health.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
🚽

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

goddamn im fat as hell but still my hip bones would be the problem

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a tedious dork who should talk less than he does.

https://mobile.twitter.com/neiltyson/status/27038631191

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

His overt confidence is charming when he's talking about his specific discipline, but any time he steps outside those areas of expertise he starts to sound condescending real fast.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im sure spain wouldve been totally fine with italy colonizing the world through the strait of gibraltar

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Krankenstyle posted:

im sure spain wouldve been totally fine with italy colonizing the world through the strait of gibraltar

Spain, famous for lacking a ton of cathedrals.

e;
there's so much to unpack about the history of colonial Spain here that it's easier to just sigh and facepalm.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Apr 14, 2018

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I saw some loving huge cathedrals in Spain

*edit* what above said ^^^

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/unusualvideos/status/984989107704291333

GnuUzir
Oct 16, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

Adam Savage called him the living embodiment of "well actually"

Got an audible chuckle out of me, don't think I heard this before.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Just the look on this dude's face. He's so excited to be bringing his form of entertainment to the world.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I thought autorotation did more than slightly slow you...it's effective enough to make a safe landing assuming the pilot is skilled enough. Or were you talking about the effect of just the blades spinning on their own, before the pilot adjusts the pitch to gain more lift.

You set the blade pitch to keep the rpm high while you fall (reduced lift). Then you can slam the pitch the other way (high lift) at the right time for one last solid pump of the brakes. The momentum of the whole drivetrain gives the energy for one good shot at slowing way down. Like when someone flares a parachute right before they hit the ground.

Odds are your tail rotor quit too, so your forward speed needs to be high enough to prevent you from spinning.

It can be done but it's tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011