Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also, it's a tad counter-intuitive, but while you're meant to go fast in NiGHTS, you're not meant to finish fast. You want to clear the Ideya Capture as fast as possible, certainly, but then once you do and "Bonus Time Start[s]!", your goal is to just grind the track for as many points as you can within your remaining time. You know, pass over the Ideya Palace where every track starts/ends instead of going through it and ending the round, and continue to do another lap as if you hadn't yet gotten the Ideya - though you want to make sure to get into the Ideya Palace before the timer hits zero, as otherwise you'll lose all your points and get a guaranteed F rank.

So, speed is important, as the faster you move, the faster you can rack the score up - but plopping the Ideya into the Palace as fast as possible isn't the sort of "going fast" you want to do, as you'll have piss-all for score that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Surprised to see SRB2 mentioned but it is in fact the best running 3d soni fangame and it's a mess made on an outdated doom engine that only just had netplay fixed out developmentally wise.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SRB2 actually is pretty fun and will probably be even better when the next update revises some more of the levels to not play like they were designed 10-20 years ago (which they were)

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Funny thing is the levels in SRB2 are actually "recently" made stuff at this point bar the very first act which is being fully revamped. After being changed to stop people from running in circles for hours, devs are pretty open on progress and it's cool.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Elentor posted:

Sonic is a game almost entirely defined by its level design and Sonic 4, Sonic Forces and a bunch of other Sonic games, even passable ones, miss that mark entirely. Christian Whitehead gets it, yeah. I'd like to see something official by LakeFeperd as well.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'd love to see LakeFeperd working alongside Christian Whitehead for a Sonic Mania 2 or something. Before/After the Sequel are legit crazy rear end good. Hell while you're at it bring on some of those soundtrack artists too.

I don't think LakeFepard really "gets it" the way the Mania team do. I mean his games are good by the standard of fan games but I don't think he really understands Sonic on a structural/mechanical level the way Taxman and co. do and I can't think of anything his presence would bring to the table.

LakeFepard's approach seems to be putting a bunch of elements from games he likes into his game without considering how they fit together, which is something I've criticized Freedom Planet for as well. I mean they're fine for fan games, better than most in fact, but I don't think his approach brings any particularly unique perspective to the Sonic formula.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Edit: nm misread.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Larryb posted:

As evidenced by most of the early Sonic cartoons.

And pre-Adventure 3d Sonic games as well.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pomplamoose posted:

I don't think LakeFepard really "gets it" the way the Mania team do. I mean his games are good by the standard of fan games but I don't think he really understands Sonic on a structural/mechanical level the way Taxman and co. do and I can't think of anything his presence would bring to the table.

LakeFepard's approach seems to be putting a bunch of elements from games he likes into his game without considering how they fit together, which is something I've criticized Freedom Planet for as well. I mean they're fine for fan games, better than most in fact, but I don't think his approach brings any particularly unique perspective to the Sonic formula.

I think the Mania team does it well but I don't think LF is unworkable with. I think AtS was the first game I played after S3K that looked like someone got the idea that Sonic stages can have gimmicks unique to them without affecting the overall structure of the game and to be honest I liked some of the ideas and themes a lot. Not as much as S3K or SM but I found it pretty enjoyable. As for Freedom Planet, it really is not my cup of tea.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
^ Pretty much that. Mania gets things down great, but AtS was really solid and had a bunch of really cool ideas with decent level designs. Freedom Planet is kinda it's own thing and shouldn't be evaluated/compared to the sonic formula, which I feel like the demo for the sequel helps show better than the original.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I played BtS not long ago and the level design is really not its strong point, but there are some great ideas in there. The optional super battle is cool as hell, from the music based on Dreams Come True to the amazing backdrop with the Death Egg being launched into space.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

AtS is stronger in level design for the most part. If nothing else the thematic designs are super cool to look at. Sugar Splash and Cyan City immediately come to mind as really cool backdrops/themes.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I can't even get BtS to work on my computer so idk how good it is or not. Time Twisted was okay though

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I got BtS working on Windows 10, but you need to use compatibility mode.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you haven't heard Shadow the Hedgehog profess his love for taking candy from babies lately, you should watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veSFrIVKXOY

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

underrated scene imo
at the very least it rivals "where's that drat fourth chaos emerald"

for the record I don't like BtS and AtS looks kinda okay I guess but not great and it inexplicably runs like total poo poo on every single computer I've tried to play it on so I guess I'll just never experience it firsthand. A sprite game should not be chugging this hard.

Mania is on a whole other level

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 12, 2018

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Augus posted:

underrated scene imo
at the very least it rivals "where's that drat fourth chaos emerald"

for the record I don't like BtS and AtS looks kinda okay I guess but not great and it inexplicably runs like total poo poo on every single computer I've tried to play it on so I guess I'll just never experience it firsthand. A sprite game should not be chugging this hard.

Mania is on a whole other level

Well did you enable the blast processing?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Amppelix posted:

If you haven't heard Shadow the Hedgehog profess his love for taking candy from babies lately, you should watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veSFrIVKXOY

pottery_breaking.wav

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/984947829515812864

Sega Announcement in an hour. Big enough the European branch is saying to stay up late.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/984974523995906048?s=20

They're porting shenmue 1 and 2

Yaaaay?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

gently caress YES SHENMUE 1 & 2 HD

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They also announced Sega Ages for Switch (ie M2 emulation, think Sega 3D Classics), as well as a Megadrive Mini for Japan which could be anything from a reskinned ATGames Flashback to a bonafide SNES Classic competitor.

edit: and a new Sakura Taisen game

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I know they won't and I'm very very grateful they have M2 on the case but please

Sega

give me those fuckin Sonic phone ports

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
M2's work is spearheaded by Sega Japan, the Taxman stuff is spearheaded by Sega USA and the Genesis stuff on Steam and the upcoming compilation is primarily Sega Europe, so one doesn't necessarily cancel out the other.

I wish they'd included 1+2+CD with Mania Plus, at the very least.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
For Taxman's next project, instead of doing a sequel to Sonic Mania, do Super Sonic Jam. Taxman ports of Sonic 1, 2, CD and 3K all in one package. If they need to replace Sonic 3's music with that S&K Collection crap I'm fine with it. I just want the game to exist period.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gammatron 64 posted:

For Taxman's next project, instead of doing a sequel to Sonic Mania, do Super Sonic Shut Up And Jam. Play as Sonic and friends in classic two-on-two basketball action. DLC characters include Al Gore and Bill Clinton.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If they have to replace any of Sonic 3's music then they would almost certainly get Tee Lopes to do some original tracks, and I don't think anyone would be unhappy with that.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

gently caress yes I'm all over that Megadrive Mini

Even if I'm going to have the games I want on my Switch most likely anyway

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Taking candy from a baby is easy, he's saying it's fine by him that the chaos emerald is so easy to grab

Love that stock pottery smash tho. The gunshot menu ones are even better

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doesnt a megadrive mini already exist in the states? In both hook up to tv and portable format? What would even be different?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not. They're importing the one that already exists to Japan.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

For Taxman's next project, instead of doing a sequel to Sonic Mania, do Super Sonic Shut Up And Jam Gaiden. Play as Sonic and friends as they attempt to survive the Post-Cyberpocalypse. WARNING: This game will be canon.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nodosaur posted:

It's not. They're importing the one that already exists to Japan.

Really? There goes all my hype for it then. The mini Genesis’ they already sell are all pieces of poo poo.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If they have to replace any of Sonic 3's music then they would almost certainly get Tee Lopes to do some original tracks, and I don't think anyone would be unhappy with that.

gently caress that, Tee was good, but he can't match Sonic 3's soundtrack.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic mania's original music was better than anything in s3&k

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

that might not be a fair comparison though

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

sharrrk posted:

sonic mania's original music was better than anything in s3&k

fight me you son of a bitch

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Screaming Idiot posted:

gently caress that, Tee was good, but he can't match Sonic 3's soundtrack.

I kinda doubt Sonic 3 will ever be released again with the original music, so it doesn't really matter.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

what’s the story with sonic 3’s music?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Michael Jackson worked on the soundtrack and so the rights to it are tied up between Sega and his estate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I thought that was like a “probably true rumor”, didn’t know it’s been legally confirmed