Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Vargatron posted:

Gotta fill up that bingo card early.

http://myfreebingocards.com/bingo-card-generator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Iron Rose posted:

It's also just a pretty good idea. Defaulting to B/W but allowing users to override that if they go into the settings saves us a not-insignificant amount in printer supplies.

That's how I was taught whenever I first learned how to do basic admin stuff. I mean as far as I'm concerned it should be universal SOP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Iron Rose posted:

This is suuuuuuuuuuper basic. You don't even need a windows server environment, you can set that to default even if you're just using TCP/IP printing. If you have a print server than that just makes the configuration easier. It's about two button clicks in the printer properties gui

It's also just a pretty good idea. Defaulting to B/W but allowing users to override that if they go into the settings saves us a not-insignificant amount in printer supplies.

In the past I've deployed two queues for the same printer - one limited to B&W and one colour, with mono set as the default. Saves people going into the settings to enable colour.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

In the past I've deployed two queues for the same printer - one limited to B&W and one colour, with mono set as the default. Saves people going into the settings to enable colour.

This is how I've always done things and it's worked well.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Free afternoon off for the entire department, woo!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

This is also how I set it up when required.

e:

devmd01 posted:

Free afternoon off for the entire department, woo!

drat, nice.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

Also makes it painfully clear if the user is printing black and white or in color to eliminate mistakes of "Oh oops I meant to print that 100 page document in color, now I have a copy in black and white that's going right in the trash".

It's the best option by far.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A page has a single red letter on it, therefore the whole print job is counted as a "color job".

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

If you are using a Windows print server, sometimes setting the defaults in Printer Preferences isn't enough. You will need to set them also in Printer Properties - Advanced - Printing Defaults. That is usually the profile that gets pushed down to the client PCs.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Vargatron posted:

A page has a single red letter on it, therefore the whole print job is counted as a "color job".

There is actually a good reason for this, from a mechanical standpoint of how color mfp's work.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Peachfart posted:

If you are using a Windows print server, sometimes setting the defaults in Printer Preferences isn't enough. You will need to set them also in Printer Properties - Advanced - Printing Defaults. That is usually the profile that gets pushed down to the client PCs.

I learned this the hard way with a zebra printer that kept getting reset to defaults by a combination of bidirectional communication being turned on and the printing defaults not being configured correctly.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Lock down your printer permissions for Print only, remove print management from all users. Don't trust them with changing anything.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Lock down your printer permissions for Print only, remove print management from all users. Don't trust them with changing anything.

Correct.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Don't trust [users] with changing anything.

FTFY

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

nah don't trust your printers either. And definitely don't trust Windows 10.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

poo poo, I barely trust myself.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
This talk got so real.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Judge Schnoopy posted:

<gets 400 tickets a day to change print preferences>

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We’re shutting off our ERP system at 1PM today to do a migration to the newest version over the weekend. My team is guessing how many tickets we’ll get about it being down, especially since everyone is supposed to get their timesheets in on Friday.

One person says 10, another says 20. I think 20 is closer. There was an email sent out this morning, but we all know nobody reads emails from IT.

Final count: 0.

I’m confused and scared.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 14, 2018

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Langolas posted:

I helped interview one of those for our Shanghai group! After the interview we had our HR group ask them for their CCIE # as well as links to validate their CCNP/CCNA. I'll give you one guess if we ever heard back from them again!

Had a 2nd "CCIE" apply as well that gave us a 5 digit CCIE number in the 40,000s. Every permutation of their name on their resume as well as names from their linkedin came back blank. Asked them to send proof+proper links. Nope not legit! Gotta love people lying on their resume.

I'm not personally involved yet with the interviewing, but after hearing those horror stories I decided to volunteer to do some in the future. It seems like a good thing to have on your CV under soft skills.

I'm not sure if we ask for certification #, we totally should though.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I'm not personally involved yet with the interviewing, but after hearing those horror stories I decided to volunteer to do some in the future. It seems like a good thing to have on your CV under soft skills.

And always ask for a sheet with the links to the certification validation pages. Most vendors give you that link/number for your resume/cv to reference when needed. If a candidate can't produce that info, they most likely are lying. Especially when you ask them about simple things like vlans and broadcast domains and they sound like they are googling answers (they were)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

<gets 400 tickets a day to change print preferences>

All that does is lock down the default settings. Users can still change settings for themselves and themselves only.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Langolas posted:

And always ask for a sheet with the links to the certification validation pages. Most vendors give you that link/number for your resume/cv to reference when needed. If a candidate can't produce that info, they most likely are lying. Especially when you ask them about simple things like vlans and broadcast domains and they sound like they are googling answers (they were)

I am aware of that, I mentioned my license number for my Juniper certs on my resume. My guess is everyone is acting on good faith and didn't connect the dots that when people lying/embellish on their resume that will include certifications. It's one step further than brain dumps in that regard.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Langolas posted:

I helped interview one of those for our Shanghai group! After the interview we had our HR group ask them for their CCIE # as well as links to validate their CCNP/CCNA. I'll give you one guess if we ever heard back from them again!

Had a 2nd "CCIE" apply as well that gave us a 5 digit CCIE number in the 40,000s. Every permutation of their name on their resume as well as names from their linkedin came back blank. Asked them to send proof+proper links. Nope not legit! Gotta love people lying on their resume.

How do people think this is going to end up?

I can see faking a CCNA... maybe... on a resume, but the CCIE means you are the top of the heap on Cisco poo poo so faking that on a resume and then tanking the ensuing networking questions means you are an idiot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Go big or go home I guess

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

If you are hiring someone because of a high level cert why in the gently caress would you not? It takes like 2 seconds. Its like requiring a masters or doctorate and then not calling their university.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I've had 2 jobs come across today and yesterday my first thought was "Oh poo poo this looks good" then I read on: travel required 50-75% of the month. gently caress, if this was 5-7 years ago I'd do that in a heart beat, I don't mind flying, but god drat I can't be away from my fiancee and puppy for that long :(

One day I will find a job that does not drive me to madness.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Agrikk posted:

How do people think this is going to end up?

60% of the time, it works 100% of the time (I don't do this)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Recruiter thinks an offer is coming but its going to be contract to hire. God loving dammit employers are loving garbage. I'll probably take it and keep looking. You cant commit to me, I'm keeping my options open.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sickening posted:

If you are hiring someone because of a high level cert why in the gently caress would you not? It takes like 2 seconds. Its like requiring a masters or doctorate and then not calling their university.

These are by no means senior level positions, 2+ years experience required so when an expert level applicant comes along we pay extra attention. So far my impression is that we act on a good faith basis which means we have some ugly interviews but I prefer that to the adversarial and distrustful stuff like drug tests, references, background checks and salary histories.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Recruiter thinks an offer is coming but its going to be contract to hire. God loving dammit employers are loving garbage. I'll probably take it and keep looking. You cant commit to me, I'm keeping my options open.

This is the correct move. Though, watch it if they try to slip a non-compete in on you.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

These are by no means senior level positions, 2+ years experience required so when an expert level applicant comes along we pay extra attention. So far my impression is that we act on a good faith basis which means we have some ugly interviews but I prefer that to the adversarial and distrustful stuff like drug tests, references, background checks and salary histories.

Washington State is in the process of banning the salary history question, and if you're asked that, it should be a red flag.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Thanatosian posted:

This is the correct move. Though, watch it if they try to slip a non-compete in on you.

I assume that will be in the contract?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Holy crap. I have that I have, like, 9 months experience with JAMF/Casper on my resume, LinkedIn, etc., and I've got recruiters blowing up my inbox and phone for a "Macintosh Endpoint Technical Services Delivery Lead"
Requirements include managing and leading a team, business acumen, political savvy, patch management, and 5+ years of JAMF and Mac OS deployment, among other things.
Do these idiots even read resumes beyond key words?
I've got no management or team lead skills, no project management skills or experience, no patch management experience, and basically only the aforementioned 9 months of JAMF experience. I do have a little Mac image building experience, but not in large environments.

Better still, several of them let slip that the (1 year contract to possible perm) job is with Unisys, which if I'm reading my corporate-speak properly, is an MSP, which reduces my interest to negative levels even if I was remotely qualified...

Why can't I get this kind of attention for something I *am* qualified for?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Might as well go for it. Everyone everywhere is terrible at their jobs, might as well be terrible at a more senior job than a junior one.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Might as well go for it. Everyone everywhere is terrible at their jobs, might as well be terrible at a more senior job than a junior one.

Can confirm this strategy has been working out smashingly for me so far and no one has yet caught on.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

Better still, several of them let slip that the (1 year contract to possible perm) job is with Unisys, which if I'm reading my corporate-speak properly, is an MSP, which reduces my interest to negative levels even if I was remotely qualified...
Unisys isn’t quite your run of the mill MSP. They’re a really old tech company (they’re the U in IBM and the BUNCH) and continue to make their own line of highly available servers (I’ll argue whether they’re ‘mainframes’ another time). Basically they sort of occupy a space somewhere between EDS and IBM. They’re not just a consulting firm, but nobody wholly considers them a computer company anymore.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Darchangel posted:

Holy crap. I have that I have, like, 9 months experience with JAMF/Casper on my resume, LinkedIn, etc., and I've got recruiters blowing up my inbox and phone for a "Macintosh Endpoint Technical Services Delivery Lead"
Requirements include managing and leading a team, business acumen, political savvy, patch management, and 5+ years of JAMF and Mac OS deployment, among other things.
Do these idiots even read resumes beyond key words?
I've got no management or team lead skills, no project management skills or experience, no patch management experience, and basically only the aforementioned 9 months of JAMF experience. I do have a little Mac image building experience, but not in large environments.

Why can't I get this kind of attention for something I *am* qualified for?

Sometimes job postings are more like wish lists. 5 years ago, I got a job requiring 5+ years in Capacity Management when I didn't know what Capacity Management was. I got hired because I was going to grad school and told the hiring manager I wanted to be an IT Project Manager.

Just apply for the position if it pays well and related to what you want to do.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Unisys is big enough that they got their own special VIP door to our datacenter for a while.

All of us other plebes had to take an extra 15 minute walk through the main door.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
:yotj:

Got an offer today for a new company. 25% pay bump, better benefits and perks, and a better title. Nervous as hell because I’ve been at the same place for over a decade.

I guess the new company has been dumping money in to IT trying to catch up after years of having outsourced things and having a shoe string budget. I’m excited to be headed somewhere growing instead of working somewhere that keep slashing budgets and complaining that too many SLAs are being met by too wide of a margin. They also took the SLA bonuses away from the call center employees because they were making them too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MF_James posted:

One day I will find a job that does not drive me to madness.

That's a progressively shorter and shorter trip for everyone in this thread.

If I had current Casper/JAMF experience beyond using it to mange the wallpaper on my iPad, I'd be making loving bank right now. Best interview I ever had, thumbs up on their way out from the two peer interviewers, good click with the hiring manager and CEO... and they went with the person who was the JAMF administrator at their current person. I understand, I'd have made the same call. HR was downright apologetic when they let me know I wasn't The One.

That was fantastic interview experience. I know how well I can do now, so that success is reproducible.