Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I wouldn't have figured Code Geass and Cross Ange to be a perfect match before, but here we are.

I laughed right out loud at Vivian calling Lelouche "man-Ange."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Caphi posted:

I wouldn't have figured Code Geass and Cross Ange to be a perfect match before, but here we are.

I laughed right out loud at Vivian calling Lelouche "man-Ange."

Really hope the English version just goes straight to "MAnge"

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

KoB posted:

I would defo pay again for any console OGs/Alpha/Z1 on the ps4.

maybe make some noise on Twitter by RT'ing my Tweet? Or just Twitter ruckus in general

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
https://twitter.com/srw_xomg/status/982604656848220160

So that one person who was all "I hope we get Mazinger Angels so we can get Cutie Honey?"

You're gonna get your wish... in Mobage

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Davzz posted:

So that one person who was all "I hope we get Mazinger Angels so we can get Cutie Honey?"

I don't care. I'm happy. This is a good day.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Inferno-sama posted:

Really hope the English version just goes straight to "MAnge"

This is the best possible actual translation but I went for clarity.

It is very important that somebody tell me if this is what they write when the game comes out.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Race Realists posted:

maybe make some noise on Twitter by RT'ing my Tweet? Or just Twitter ruckus in general

oh yeah, sure. I dont use the tweety much so I hadnt even thought of it haha.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Davzz posted:

See, I kinda figured she'd only appear in the Mobage...but I don't care, because Cutie Honey is now in one, and that makes me super happy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Where the hell is my SEA translated X-Omega so I can clumsily sideload it onto my phone and buy like Taiwanese Play Store cards to pull robots?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Davzz posted:

God drat monkey's paw

But hooray all the same, I suppose.

Policenaut posted:

Where the hell is my SEA translated X-Omega so I can clumsily sideload it onto my phone and buy like Taiwanese Play Store cards to pull robots?

Yeah can I get a guide to emulating and cheating my rear end off in this game thanks

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

So, since we've already got some Cutie Honey appreciation going, here's more!

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/982952001435664386

Plus, the anime is being simulcast by HIDIVE, so you can watch it when they upload it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't know why part of me is still thinking about Z but god, you know what's the worst thing about the Twins being the "overriser"? Everyone else already overcame their poo poo, it was part of their original stage 2 arcs! Setsuko processed her grief, Land pushed through his pain, and Crowe... got the CDS, I guess. But Hibiki has the Superego Sphere so it's now a big deal that he can "go beyond hope and despair."

Goddammit I'm gonna play some X.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Caphi posted:

I don't know why part of me is still thinking about Z but god, you know what's the worst thing about the Twins being the "overriser"? Everyone else already overcame their poo poo, it was part of their original stage 2 arcs! Setsuko processed her grief, Land pushed through his pain, and Crowe... got the CDS, I guess. But Hibiki has the Superego Sphere so it's now a big deal that he can "go beyond hope and despair."

Goddammit I'm gonna play some X.

Crowe's thing was overcoming sudden intense desire with an overarching desire, in this case his desire to pay off his debt. The CDS just worked as that, a constant reminder of his debt whenever his Sphere flared up. Not amazing, but it was consistent for him. His real character growth was overcoming his issues with women...kinda...sorta. But yeah, Hibiki's one was treated as being super important because it's a cliche, Hibiki is just a cliche. There is nothing interesting about him, other than how he seems to attract far more interesting people, like Suzune. Once again, if she was the protagonist, hers would be a good character arc. Yes, we already have H/Allelujah but it's still SOMETHING more than Hibiki. Plus Suzune always seemed more like it was an odd compulsion and she didn't go kill crazy, just, well, dominatrixy. Again, not something amazing, but not a cliche.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Inferno-sama posted:

Crowe's thing was overcoming sudden intense desire with an overarching desire, in this case his desire to pay off his debt. The CDS just worked as that, a constant reminder of his debt whenever his Sphere flared up. Not amazing, but it was consistent for him. His real character growth was overcoming his issues with women...kinda...sorta. But yeah, Hibiki's one was treated as being super important because it's a cliche, Hibiki is just a cliche. There is nothing interesting about him, other than how he seems to attract far more interesting people, like Suzune. Once again, if she was the protagonist, hers would be a good character arc. Yes, we already have H/Allelujah but it's still SOMETHING more than Hibiki. Plus Suzune always seemed more like it was an odd compulsion and she didn't go kill crazy, just, well, dominatrixy. Again, not something amazing, but not a cliche.

I dunno, Crowe going off the deep end - actually all of Crowe's advancements - had to do with protecting Esther because the debt that haunts him most is to her for ruining her life. I felt like the CDS was more about pulling him back to perspective by focusing on reality instead of dwelling.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Caphi posted:

I dunno, Crowe going off the deep end - actually all of Crowe's advancements - had to do with protecting Esther because the debt that haunts him most is to her for ruining her life. I felt like the CDS was more about pulling him back to perspective by focusing on reality instead of dwelling.

There's definitely some weight to it, but since in his overly focused state he didn't even notice when Esther took the shot for him and was turned into a DAMON, yet the CDS seems to succeed all the time...

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Hibiki is the worst.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Give Esther her own game, you cowards.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm glad I stopped at Z2-2 and never bothered with the Z3s.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I feel good about Cross Ange in this crossover again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm glad I stopped at Z2-2 and never bothered with the Z3s.

Z3-1 was okay, in my opinion. It wasn't my anywhere near my favorite SRW but it wasn't unplayable. Z3-2 was so boring and bland that I quit after like 25 stages and just read the conclusion instead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Still blows me away that they used TTGL's final boss in the first Z3 game and not the second.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It was neat that Anti-Spiral got to be the first non-original final boss in a SRW since like F Final though

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Tae posted:

Still blows me away that they used TTGL's final boss in the first Z3 game and not the second.

They did use it in the second, they just filed the serial numbers off and made it way more boring.

Basically everything about the Herald universe is a big knockoff of the Anti-Spiral.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Blockhouse posted:

It was neat that Anti-Spiral got to be the first non-original final boss in a SRW since like F Final though

Yeah that was a great final boss fight and end of the game. It sure was an ideal capstone for Z3.1. It would have been silly to try and top that in the same game!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I see that Boss Barot is still just an APC for the Kurogane Five.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

I see that Boss Barot is still just an APC for the Kurogane Five.

Something tells me that's why they went with a mix of Shin Mazinger(both anime and Zero) and manga Mazinkaiser instead of using the Mazinkaiser OVA, meant they could reuse more stuff

Wonder if they'll continue doing this for the next game or will they jump to another part of the franchise

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
http://sakura-taisen.com/news/2018/new_sakura/

New Sakura Wars in 2019. Name is "Shin Sakura Wars". No other information yet.

Perhaps the new non-SD artstyle will turn off many players, thus leading to the team having to create Sakura Wars Alpha

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Completely new story set in 1979", is what Google gives me. Japanese speakers have said they're talking about it like a proper new game rather than a mobage or something, but who knows until they have something to show.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I expect nothing but betrayal when it comes to new SW games.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

drrockso20 posted:

Something tells me that's why they went with a mix of Shin Mazinger(both anime and Zero) and manga Mazinkaiser instead of using the Mazinkaiser OVA, meant they could reuse more stuff

Wonder if they'll continue doing this for the next game or will they jump to another part of the franchise

They're using the OG Banpresto original Mazinkaiser which was designed for F Final.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

I expect nothing but betrayal when it comes to new SW games.

4 and 5 (and episode 0) were all relative wet farts. Surely this can't be worse.

I'm going to be recklessly optimistic!!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

I'm going to be recklessly optimistic!!
I guess someone has to be, so go ahead.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I enjoyed Sakura Wars V, by virtue of it being in English.

As such, I am hoping for an English translation of the new one so I can enjoy it by the power of low standards.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stuff like Yakuza and even random iffy spinoffs like Azure Revolution and Shining HD come over these days, so I see them at least giving it a shot.

e: and heck, Atlus as an extension of SEGA did a pair of aquaplus games, which also do the "largely VN interspersed with SRPG" deal (not exactly equivalent of course but)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

These days Japanese console game developers pretty much have to think about the overseas market from the start because we're buying their product way more than the Japanese are. Monster Hunter World sold something like a 5:1 ratio on overseas to Japanese players.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Motto posted:

"Completely new story set in 1979", is what Google gives me. Japanese speakers have said they're talking about it like a proper new game rather than a mobage or something, but who knows until they have something to show.

Google's wrong. It's "Taisho 29" which is an idiosyncrasy of Sakura Wars, where they use the Taisho Era as the timeframe of the games but it's written 太正 instead of 大正. The real Taisho era lasted from 1912 to 1926. Taisho 29, by this metric, would be closer to 1940.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hey Onmi, that list of yours regarding recruitable enemy pilots? Yeah, it might need an update.

Also, have Klim Nick taking the X-1 for a spin. I've seen a lot more pilot swapping videos for X right out of the gate compared to other games, oddly enough.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

Google's wrong. It's "Taisho 29" which is an idiosyncrasy of Sakura Wars, where they use the Taisho Era as the timeframe of the games but it's written 太正 instead of 大正. The real Taisho era lasted from 1912 to 1926. Taisho 29, by this metric, would be closer to 1940.
2 already had you I guess defeating the demonic roots of militarism in Japan, so if it's set in the 40s I guess it would be all-in on a peaceful East-Asian co-prosperity sphere?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

2 already had you I guess defeating the demonic roots of militarism in Japan, so if it's set in the 40s I guess it would be all-in on a peaceful East-Asian co-prosperity sphere?

My husband had some choice remarks about a 1940 setting:

"Will the name of the troupe be the Pacific Theater?"

"Will someone literally awaken a sleeping giant?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This seems like it should be canon.

• Locked thread