Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vladimir Putin posted:

Like 2 years ago they were bombing all the gently caress over Syria with cruise missiles and loving flying sorties all over. Where do they get of bitching about this now?

Relax. Its just a bold response to play up Putin's crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Uglycat posted:

I've thought about this a lot. Now, there's obviously multiple sockpoppet armies operated by a diverse set of troll farms. There's been a strong alliance of various accelerationist ideologiest, across national boundaries. Trump's win was clearly engineered exploiting this new tech. If Trump's hanging on to 40% with the thing churning in his favor, suppose the thing swings full 180 on him? Suppose even a chunk of those sockpuppets suddenly went turncoat?

That 40% would drop quick.

And if Putin (ultimately) controls some chunk of these accounts, and if his goal is to cause instability and division over here...

There is no logical reason to believe the things written in this post (you're basically assuming that public sentiment regarding Trump is heavily influenced on a continuing basis by sockpuppet accounts), and fake social media accounts used for marketing/propaganda purposes aren't really "new tech."

You're basically using conspiracy theorist logic that just makes blind assumptions that can't be disproved (or proved given currently available data).

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I went back and removed a few tweets from earlier, actual journalists in my feed had retweeted the guy so I assumed he was a legitimate source of information. Turns out that may not be the case! So, in an effort to not contribute to the spreading of fake news, I edited them out. My apologies!

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 14, 2018

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
This is the logical outcome of John Bolton being in the White House. We are back to neocon Forever War. Troops go out to fight and when they get back from the war, everything is gayer than when they left.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's kind of incredibly how feckless they sound

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

I don't think the trollfarms actually matter all that much.

They're effective at muddying debates and generating suspicion. But yeah, I don't think anyone was convinced to vote for Trump because of a bot. People are just encouraged to act crazier because they think they have more support than they do.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

There is no logical reason to believe the things written in this post (you're basically assuming that public sentiment regarding Trump is heavily influenced on a continuing basis by sockpuppet accounts), and fake social media accounts used for marketing/propaganda purposes aren't really "new tech."

You're basically using conspiracy theorist logic that just makes blind assumptions that can't be disproved (or proved given currently available data).

... it's Uglycat.

Chaos Personified
Oct 9, 2012

Russia's angry.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Tatsuta Age posted:

Which government post in the Trump administration do you head?

Yes, and the Stones' You can't always get what you want.

I am bad at computers, but the corncobbing must end!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Giggy posted:

They're effective at muddying debates and generating suspicion. But yeah, I don't think anyone was convinced to vote for Trump because of a bot. People are just encouraged to act crazier because they think they have more support than they do.

Yeah, this. Trump won because of that piece of poo poo Comey releasing that nothing report on Hillary a week before the election. It blows my mind that so many liberals seem to have forgotten about that and think he’s a hero now.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

They have no real ability to project force outside of very limited methods and covert / tech stuff, but they have enough nukes to end the human race, so we have to take them extremely seriously.

Also if anyone cares /pol/ is also turning on Trump over this, so there goes his entire base.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"He did good on TPP"

no one tell him

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

They have no real ability to project force outside of very limited methods and covert / tech stuff, but they have enough nukes to end the human race, so we have to take them extremely seriously.

Also if anyone cares /pol/ is also turning on Trump over this, so there goes his entire base.

I could see Russia establishing a closer relationship with Turkey because of this. They can't attack the US, but they can give intelligence on the SDF to Turkey.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think it's entirely baseless, several prominent pro-Trump twitter accounts were Russian controlled. I don't think they will have an immediate effect, but they will influence Trumpist talking points, consequently Fox talking points, which will directly reach Trump.

Things like Cambridge Analytica, and massive coordinated internet troll operations are new, even if it is more about how new tech is used.

I'm not entirely agreeing with Uglycat, that it would have an immediate effect on polling numbers, but it certainly may affect many things.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
In other news, Opening Arguments has dropped another cast..

quote:

In this rapid-response episode, Thomas and Andrew take a look at the FBI’s search of the offices of Michael Cohen, Donald Trump’s personal lawyer and alleged “fixer.”

First, we begin with a discussion of a curious legal move by the Miami Marlins, alleging that they are, in fact, a … citizen of the British Virgin Islands??

In the main segment, we find out that Andrew Was Right when he declared Stormy Daniels “A Legal Genius.” How right? Listen and find out!

Next, we take a return trip to Yodel Mountain, where we discuss Paul Ryan’s impending retirement, Wendy Vitter’s comically bad confirmation hearing, and more!
Timestamp to FBI v Cohen

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So Trump ordered airstrikes on Syria, now he just needs to fire Rosenstein then it's off to a relaxing weekend at Mar A Lago.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

How's Hannity? If Trump loses Hannity, he's lost all.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

I figured he must have changed his tune as a co-worker of mine who has been vehemently pro-Trump suddenly turned on him yesterday spouting the "compromised," "the rebels launch the chemical attack" and other talking points almost exactly.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Throwing Turtles posted:

Ok so this is stupid paranoid bullshit, but it's a stupid bullshit world. Trump and Putin talk a lot. We really only find out about it if Russia let's us know. And there's nothing we can do about it. Is it at all possible that Putin is ok with this because it keeps Trump up and running for a few more days. Yeah he's mad in public, but really he doesn't care. Trump fucks things up more in America and Putin is out almost nothing.

I wouldn't say that Putin's okay with it because it keeps Trump in power specifically, but the smart money is definitely with "Putin and Trump's government talked about what was going to get hit to prevent a WW3 scenario".

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vladimir Putin posted:

But we ain’t used them on nobody. drat.

im sure trump wishes he could on a big portion of us citizens

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cythereal posted:

If Trump thinks this is going to distract from the Cohen saga, he's wrong. Middle East hellwar is barely a blip on the radar next to palace intrigue out of Washington.

While I'm sure this idea passed through the pudding in Donny's head, it seems pretty clear that he's been itching to retaliate for the chemical weapons use since it happened. As with the attack last year, it is clear that if you can show him sad pictures it actually does move his thinking.

Add in Bolton having an actual excuse to push for death and destruction abroad, and Donny was always going to blow some poo poo up in response to Assad using CW. The only reason we delayed is likely the UK and France insisting on actually planning things out instead of impulsively and ineffectively dropping dozens of missiles on an airfield to cause a temporary nuisance.

I would hazard that portions of the crowd constantly trying to talk Donny down from firing Rosentein or Mueller did use this as an opportunity to try and muzzle that beast. Just like Ty Cobb keeps telling Donny that the investigation is totally almost over, I'm sure someone is hopping that the rear end in a top hat thing Donny was going to do anyway provides enough cover for the big baby to calm down and stop his tantrum over Cohen.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Lycus posted:

Hannity loves this poo poo.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TealShark posted:

I figured he must have changed his tune as a co-worker of mine who has been vehemently pro-Trump suddenly turned on him yesterday spouting the "compromised," "the rebels launch the chemical attack" and other talking points almost exactly.

Jones thinks they're blackmailing Trump, which is hilarious because everything Trump does and says in public is far more embarrassing than anything you could blackmail him with. Unless... the Piss Tape...

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Lycus posted:

Hannity is the truest of true Trump believers.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Cable Guy posted:

Uh.. didn't trump use this when he accepted the GOP nomination...?

It was actually the song "You can't always get what you want".

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Lycus posted:

Sean has a boner for this. Hell, he probably has been talking Trump's ear off all week pushing him to do something.

e: oh gently caress I was wrong. His take is even dumber

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/984980486480121856

cochise fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 14, 2018

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Johnny Bravo posted:

I went back and removed a few tweets from earlier, actual journalists in my feed had retweeted the guy so I assumed he was a legitimate source of information. Turns out that may not be the case! So, in an effort to not contribute to the spreading of fake news, I edited them out. My apologies!

I dunno if it was you but apparently that Isis is attacking guy is a fraud

https://twitter.com/adamsteinbaugh/status/984976492265459713

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This is already loving horrid but I hope somehow cooler heads prevail everywhere else so it's not continued or escalated.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Gyges posted:

While I'm sure this idea passed through the pudding in Donny's head, it seems pretty clear that he's been itching to retaliate for the chemical weapons use since it happened. As with the attack last year, it is clear that if you can show him sad pictures it actually does move his thinking.

Lol I highly doubt Trump gives a poo poo about dead Arab babies. He only cares about hitting Syria when they use chemical weapons because Obama wouldn't do it when he was in office.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

lol gg oan

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Thanks, I needed that.

Surprised no one's mashed Big Enough with Paranoia Agent, which is super appropriate of late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKoSTE1mAuE

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

EwokEntourage posted:

https://twitter.com/adamsteinbaugh/status/984976492265459713

Yet he gets verified and Lowtax gets autobanned

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

Why should I trust this random checkmark over that other random checkmark

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

this is going to get bad.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What's oan?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

That's nothing. Earlier in the day:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/984760856746627073

(I can confirm the translation is accurate, and the original poster is a known Putin regime toady).

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

What's oan?

"own" from times of quake? I mean poison gas gets you a death sentence, easy, but this president?

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

EwokEntourage posted:

dunno if it was me what? the guy tweeting that stuff? nah, i went back and removed a few tweets of his that i had posted though because i caught a popehat retweet pointing it out

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I wouldn't pay much attention to Russia's response to this strike. Last time we did this they pulled the same "there will be consequences" garbage, and by Monday noon, had forgotten what happened like the rest of us. Even the Syrian government seems to be taking the whole getting bombed thing relatively well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Phobic Nest posted:

Thanks, I needed that.

Surprised no one's mashed Big Enough with Paranoia Agent, which is super appropriate of late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKoSTE1mAuE

Laughing as the mushroom cloud looms over all. Par for the course

love that series

• Locked thread