Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I want to play 2 cause everytime i try to watch a playthrough i fall asleep so i probably have to do it myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I seriously learned a lot of my first Japanese outside of the classroom from Shemue 1 so I'd probably play it again just to see what I think of it now.

Not 2 though; I have no particular memories about that other than it ended on an idiotic cliffhanger that came out of nowhere.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I seriously learned a lot of my first Japanese outside of the classroom from Shemue 1 so I'd probably play it again just to see what I think of it now.

Not 2 though; I have no particular memories about that other than it ended on an idiotic cliffhanger that came out of nowhere.

Wasnt is supposed to be a 14 game series? Like episodic but full games and it didn't actually happen.

I have no nostalgia with them so Yakuza taking the torch and being well, Yakuza. Gives me no desire to even try these.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I adored Shenmue 1 on DC. When they announced the Shenmue 3 kickstarter I flipped my poo poo and my wife didn’t get why I was so hype. So I hooked up the DC to show her the original game and it has not aged well at all. I am so glad to see it be brought to a modern console because I feel like the Shenmue series is important. It’s like the proto version of stuff like Yakuza or Sleeping Dogs.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm loving HYYYYYPE FOR SOME SHENMUE MY DUDES

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Wasnt is supposed to be a 14 game series? Like episodic but full games and it didn't actually happen.

I have no nostalgia with them so Yakuza taking the torch and being well, Yakuza. Gives me no desire to even try these.
Its like a dozen "chapters". Shenmue 1 was the first chapter, there was a manga about Ryo's boat ride that's chapter 2, and Shenmue 2 covers like 3 chapters worth. Yakuza's nothing like Shenmue also

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
I just bit the bullet and bought a PS4 Pro (I've had a regular ol' PS4 since launch).

My regular PS4 has a 2TB drive in it with all my stuff on it (including PT).

Anybody know the quickest path to both upgrade my PS4 Pro to the 2TB and have all my stuff? There's no way I can just swap the drive, right?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think Shenmue is a game that banks on a lot of nostalgia these days, and is best probably living on in memory.

Spiritual successor Yakuza is where it's at

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPtlofIccAk

There's gonna be a physical release so I can stick that right next to my copy of Shenmue 3 on PS4 whenever it happens.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

admiraldennis posted:

I just bit the bullet and bought a PS4 Pro (I've had a regular ol' PS4 since launch).

My regular PS4 has a 2TB drive in it with all my stuff on it (including PT).

Anybody know the quickest path to both upgrade my PS4 Pro to the 2TB and have all my stuff? There's no way I can just swap the drive, right?

I'm gonna be trying to do the same soonish, but I think you more or less need to have two 2tb drives. Like best case you might be able to back up the original to an external and then restore on the new machine, but I thing you'd have to pull some crap where they still did a transfer console to console, not sure how external storage handles that.

I've done backup, hard drive upgrade, and restore using an external three times now on single machines, two of which had PT and that worked at least.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Housh posted:

Shenmue I & II HD announced for PS4 at the Sega Fan Event in Japan.

:drat:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I hope Shenmue HD gets a collector’s edition. I’ll buy the gently caress out of it.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Don’t poo poo on Easy Allies, they’re one of the few good review/gaming related outlets. But when I read that I immediately figured Michael Huber wrote the review and I was right. His taste in games is probably the worst out of the other members of EZA and he’s prone to crazy hyperbole like that.

But Easy Allies gave The Last Guardian a perfect score and GotY 2016 and also gave the Shadow of the Colossus remake a perfect score as well, which is rare. breath of the Wild got a 9 and it was their 2017 GotY.. but yeah they just tend to align with my tastes when I’m confused by review outlets giving terrible reviews to great games, then Easy Allies will usually give it a score I agree with, as well as giving more attention to less mainstream games, not just indies, but games that flew under my radar like, lately, Gorogoa and What Remains of Edith Finch.. also Bloodborne was their 2015 GotY and I would only maybe give 2017’s GotY to Dark Souls 3 (because I don’t own a Switch).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dark Souls 3 came out in 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Valkyria 4 has a soldier who calls himself Odin and thinks he's in Valkyrie Profile and it's awesome.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Valkyria 4 has a soldier who calls himself Odin and thinks he's in Valkyrie Profile and it's awesome.

Wait, VC4?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Wait, VC4?
Yeah, I'm about 15 hours in. It's 1 again with a slightly different setting and some new unit types, also more variety to stages.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I'm about 15 hours in. It's 1 again with a slightly different setting and some new unit types, also more variety to stages.

Just wondering how overt the reference can be in a Sega game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Just wondering how overt the reference can be in a Sega game.
No no, what I mean is he acts like he's reliving ancient myths in the most grimdark way possible.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

How's the ranking in missions. My biggest problem with 1 was to S a level you just wanted to sprint with scouts, and with so tied to that rank you were incentivised to skip tactical gameplay

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

How's the ranking in missions. My biggest problem with 1 was to S a level you just wanted to sprint with scouts, and with so tied to that rank you were incentivised to skip tactical gameplay
That hasn't changed but what has changed is that there are new threats and obstacles to getting scouts to control points quickly.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Has the entire plot to God of War been posted yet ?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

That hasn't changed but what has changed is that there are new threats and obstacles to getting scouts to control points quickly.

Interesting. I mean, is in no danger of not being a day 1 purchase when localized. But good to know.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harlock posted:

Boat was spoiled in trailer what else could be important

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Harlock posted:

Entire Plot Summary - ANGRY then SAD

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
drat it, put the boat in spoilers!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I wanna go on record and say that in the future, academics in internet history will definitely say that boat guy was in the right.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dark Souls 3 came out in 2016

Whoops that’s what I meant... obviously The Last guardian is the GotY every year.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I wanna go on record and say that in the future, academics in internet history will definitely say that boat guy was in the right.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

is it good? sounds like it's good by your description

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Help I’m stoned as gently caress but it sounds like Shen mu games are being released for the PS4. Is there any true th this?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Thank you and cheers

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Another gaming stoner

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsVv0cn21Ns

:swoon:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Yakuza only fulfills one small aspect of what made Shenmue great to me. I loved the game more for its celebration of the mundane, the small things like examining all the objects in your house or following people throughout their boring little daily schedule. I see a lot of Gone Home's DNA in that kind of grounded storytelling.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone who says 'Yakuza is just the same thing who cares' probably hasn't played at least either Shenmue or Yakuza.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

I think I want mundanity games. I either want that or a game that just feels “good in the hands.” I cycle between what I want from games pretty regularly but I keep going back to stuff like New Doom and Titanfall 2 (e: Nex Machina, Nier [this fulfills both], Soulsborne, even Fortnite and Overwatch)

There’s a pretty good goon podcast about stuff like that uhh what’s it called.

E: It’s called Watch Out for Fireballs.

Guw fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 14, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guw posted:

There’s a pretty good goon podcast about stuff like that uhh what’s it called.

E: It’s called Watch Out for Fireballs.

Great podcast. The two dudes who run it are goons. Don't know if they post any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

It’s my fav. I have a long drive to work so I’ve pretty much listened to the whole duckfeed catalog. Yet I can’t remember the name of their main show. Huh.

If Gary and Cole post here: I’m gonna go start donating to your patreon right now before my wife wakes up and asks me why I’m playing Far Cry 5 blazed as hell at 4:30 am. Kudos.

Guw fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 14, 2018