Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

how would you deal with artifacts that have creature, land, or enchantment supertypes?

They would lose all their text but keep their types and p/t, so for instance Wurmcoil Engine would be a 6/6 Artifact Creature - Wurm that does nothing when it dies and Vault of Whispers would be an Artifact Land that doesn't tap for mana

Like, Humility was printed 20 years ago. All these problems have already been encountered and solved in the rules, although sometimes the interactions are counterintuitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Balon posted:

If it’s an enchantment it should be more along the lines of:

Artifacts lose all abilities.
2, Sacrifice and artifact: draw a card. Any player may use this ability.

Just because the templating on something losing sll abilities then gaining an ability seems like a nightmare.

A card like this could be in white, red, or blue. In any one of those colors it would likely be 5 mana. In any 2 of those colors 4. And in all 3 colors straight WUR.

Call it… mud moon.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Cactrot posted:

Call it… mud moon.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Clue Moon

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

You fuckin mellineals are a joke.

please make this dumb comment the thread title

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Elyv posted:

They would lose all their text but keep their types and p/t, so for instance Wurmcoil Engine would be a 6/6 Artifact Creature - Wurm that does nothing when it dies and Vault of Whispers would be an Artifact Land that doesn't tap for mana

Like, Humility was printed 20 years ago. All these problems have already been encountered and solved in the rules, although sometimes the interactions are counterintuitive

Oh, no, I wasn't being rhetorical, I was legitimately asking if there is some rules voodoo you can do to remove a supertype from a card.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Matsuri posted:

Seconded

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Matsuri posted:

I’m cool with it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

A big flaming stink posted:

Oh, no, I wasn't being rhetorical, I was legitimately asking if there is some rules voodoo you can do to remove a supertype from a card.

There is but Creature and Artifact aren't Supertypes.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The word other exists. They can do something like:

Artifacts gain "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card." and lose all other abilities.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
It's been templated already:

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Silly vorthos question: but what does the mana cost for a planeswalker actually represent? Is like that like the cost of some interplanar phone call that makes them planeswalk in? The cost of opening a portal for them to step through?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Mana is the fantasy equivalent of Bitcoin. You’re just transferring some cash to them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So many people don’t understand totem armor in 2018. Forgetting first strike happens so often too with the umbra.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

oryx posted:

Silly vorthos question: but what does the mana cost for a planeswalker actually represent? Is like that like the cost of some interplanar phone call that makes them planeswalk in? The cost of opening a portal for them to step through?

I had a question along the same lines of "Why do the Planeswalkers in the story never summon anything?" but I think the concept that players and planeswalkers in the story are similar things is pretty gone from the game at this point

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

It’s pretty amazing how many people want to play jeskai control.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Sickening posted:

It’s pretty amazing how many people want to play jeskai control.

It has all the cool cards!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I had my Nezahal Primal Tide die to a Walk the Plank yesterday and that seems dumb :(

There should be a "water creatures" tribe group or something that can be excluded from spells like that!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

This commentary is the worst I have ever heard.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

vegetables posted:

I had a question along the same lines of "Why do the Planeswalkers in the story never summon anything?" but I think the concept that players and planeswalkers in the story are similar things is pretty gone from the game at this point

nissa summons things all the time!

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Doesn't Jeskai Control have basically a free win vs humans though?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

mandatory lesbian posted:

nissa summons things all the time!

So does Liliana

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

moush posted:

Doesn't Jeskai Control have basically a free win vs humans though?

i find it hard to believe any deck with control in the name has a free win against any aggro deck, but i'm sure it lines up very well

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

the format has been shoved down our throat for the last 3 months, people are starting to get bored

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Retromancer posted:

So does Liliana

So does Elspeth and Sorin. Like...every walker that creates a token of something is shown to have used that ability at some point in the story.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

the format has been shoved down our throat for the last 3 months, people are starting to get bored

Not only is that wrong but it also doesn’t make any sense.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

Not sure what round you were talking about but I really like Melissa on commentary.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Buffis posted:

I had my Nezahal Primal Tide die to a Walk the Plank yesterday and that seems dumb :(

There should be a "water creatures" tribe group or something that can be excluded from spells like that!

You do see groupings like that from time to time

that said, Nezahal specifically is an elder dinosaur so even if you were adding this silly grouping it would still get to swim the plank

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Buffis posted:

It was a cedar plank, op

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tainen posted:

Not sure what round you were talking about but I really like Melissa on commentary.

Some people get real internet mad about ~females~ intruding in their serious cardboard wizard games.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I could see a move toward this kind of grouping being kick-started by the "historic" mechanic.

Destroy all sea creatures (sea creatures are merfolk, fish, Leviathan, kraken, serpent, and octopus creatures)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

pretty sure that's too narrow to get an entire keyword

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lack of Bear posted:

I could see a move toward this kind of grouping being kick-started by the "historic" mechanic.

Destroy all sea creatures (sea creatures are merfolk, fish, Leviathan, kraken, serpent, and octopus creatures)

Definitely not. You don't want to have the overhead associated with that for the player, as the value is minimal.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If they'd do anything like that it would be "creature keyword abilities" (first strike, vigilance, flying, trample, etc.) for cards like Odric, but that's also never going to happen.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Some people get real internet mad about ~females~ intruding in their serious cardboard wizard games.

Shut the gently caress up. Melissa is fine, the previous round was a garbage fire and it had nothing to do with gender.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

If they'd do anything like that it would be "creature keyword abilities" (first strike, vigilance, flying, trample, etc.) for cards like Odric, but that's also never going to happen.

i think the main reason they won't do this (other then the fact that a bunch of people would try and do things like give Radiance to Odric or something) is that trying to specify creature abilities becomes hard when you think of something like hexproof, which can be on creatures and non-creatures

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think the main reason they won't do this (other then the fact that a bunch of people would try and do things like give Radiance to Odric or something) is that trying to specify creature abilities becomes hard when you think of something like hexproof, which can be on creatures and non-creatures

I mean specifically a list of all keywords that show up on creatures, shorthanded into something specifically for cards like that. Stuff like hexproof and indestructible show up on other things too yeah but that doesn't really matter for cards like Odric.

But I think that the potential problems from that outweigh the benefits, especially since those cards aren't printed very frequently, and most of them are mediocre at best and don't see much play.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Eternal digital CCG already does this for “combat abilities” on creatures and it works pretty well. Granted, it’s easier to do batching when you have software that can handle a lot of the rules overhead.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
islandhome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Archenteron posted:

It was a cedar plank, op

I appreciate this post.