Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
It's dagger time and we're just handing out shivvings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Leraika posted:

It's dagger time and we're just handing out shivvings!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
“Any player can finish this book no matter what weapons they have or lack.” Time to test that. Dagger, ordinary Dagger. Also, I think we’re just fighting Crypt Spawn right now, not the Darklord.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
It’s time to bare Wolf’s Fang!

(also known as our dagger)

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Dagger .

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Shank this fool!

(With our dagger)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Shank him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Masters of Darkness posted:

You are fighting a horde of winged Crypt Spawn. You cannot evade this combat and must fight the loathsome creatures to the death.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 38
Crypt Spawn Flood: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 36
Combat Ratio: 0

We roll: 7
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 37
Crypt Spawn Flood: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 27

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 37
Crypt Spawn Flood: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 15

We roll: 4
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 34
Crypt Spawn Flood: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 9

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 32
Crypt Spawn Flood: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 2

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 27
Crypt Spawn Flood: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 0

Kraagenskűl watches you step over the gore-stained bodies of his creations, and then raises his black sword as you approach him boldly. ‘Here lies your doom, fool!’ he roars, waving his sword before his ghastly face. ‘Come. Take it … if you dare!’

Cautiously you circle the Darklord, taking care to remain beyond the reach of his sorcerous blade, but he moves towards you with surprising speed. As you dive to avoid his attack, you seek a chance to turn the odds a little in your favour. With a mighty kick, you send one of the fiery pillars toppling towards your foe. He screams and dodges aside, but the column glances his shoulder as it slams to the granite floor with a crackling roar. The black sword spins from his hand and slides to a halt near the base of the throne. For a moment your eyes meet; then simultaneously you race to retrieve the blade.

Curing: +1 EP (28/38).
We roll: 2 +9 (Archmaster) = 11.

Your hand closes around the hilt of the black sword moments before Kraagenskűl’s claw-tipped fingers rake the floor where it lay. You raise the blade and feel a surge of cold power run the length of your arm. It courses through your brain, willing you to attack the cowering Darklord and slaughter him unmercifully. This new-felt need to wallow in the killing of an enemy stirs you to a fearful rage. Desperately you draw on your inner strength to overcome this barbaric urge, and control it, as you prepare to fight with Darklord Kraagenskűl.

Darklord Kraagenskűl (without Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 38

This supernatural being is immune to Mindblast (but not Psi-surge). Owing to the power of Helshezag—the weapon you now wield—add 7 to your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of the combat.
Lone Wolf (with Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 28
Darklord Kraagenskűl (without Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 38
Combat Ratio: -1

We roll: 2
Lone Wolf (with Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 23
Darklord Kraagenskűl (without Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 35

We roll: 8
Lone Wolf (with Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 22
Darklord Kraagenskűl (without Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 26

Lone Wolf (with Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 18
Darklord Kraagenskűl (without Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 21

We roll: 6
Lone Wolf (with Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 16
Darklord Kraagenskűl (without Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 14

We roll: 2
Lone Wolf (with Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 11
Darklord Kraagenskűl (without Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 11

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf (with Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 7
Darklord Kraagenskűl (without Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 7

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf (with Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 2
Darklord Kraagenskűl (without Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 5

Lone Wolf (with Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE -2
Darklord Kraagenskűl (without Helshezag): COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 0

Or at least that's what would have happened if we hadn't quickly drunk a potion of laumspur between the two fights, which we definitely did.

Death count: 15.
Endurance: 2/38.

Your killing blow draws a howl from Darklord Kraagenskűl, so loud that it shakes the very foundations of the building. He falls, yet as he does so, his withered frame vanishes before your eyes, leaving only a tattered grey robe and a black sword to mark his passing.

If you wish to keep Helshezag, the sword of Darklord Kraagenskűl, mark it on your Action Chart as a Special Item. (You wrap this sword in the remains of the Darklord’s grey robe and carry it vertically, tied behind your Backpack.) When used in combat, it will add 5 points to your COMBAT SKILL, and 7 points when used against a Darklord of Helgedad. However, prolonged use of this evil blade will weaken your ENDURANCE score. In the second and subsequent rounds of every combat in which you use the sword, you must reduce your ENDURANCE level by 1 point. This reduction is permanent.

Having recovered from your combat, you quickly leave the chamber by a stair that leads to the roof. There you discover the Zlanbeast, Kraagenskűl’s personal winged mount, perched on a raised log. Standing nearby is a Death Knight armed with a spear, staring absent-mindedly over the parapet at the harbour lights below. The Zlanbeast sniffs the air and shuffles along its perch with a nervous, rolling gait. It senses that you are its natural enemy and it is becoming agitated in your presence. You must act quickly and with skill if you are to use this beast to escape from Argazad.

Curing: +1 EP (3/38)
  1. Do we keep Helshezag? If so, which weapon or special item do we drop?
  2. We could shoot the Drakkar with an arrow, sneak up and attack him with our dagger or with Helshezag or the Sommerswerd, or, as we're still disguised, we could just walk up and tell him he's wanted elsewhere.
  3. We've also got various healing meals if we choose to use them.

Weapons:
  1. The Sommerswerd (+8 CS; x2 damage vs. undead)
  2. Dagger
    Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Lantern
  3. Meal (+3 EP)
  4. Meal of Gnallia (+2 EP)
  5. Meal of Gnallia (+2 EP)
  6. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  7. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)

Special Items:
  1. Helmet (+2 EP)
  2. Shield (+2 CS)
  3. Firesphere
  4. Silver Bracers (+2 CS; +1 EP)
  5. Silver Rod
  6. Psychic Ring
  7. Crystal Explosive
  8. Silver Bow of Duadon (+3 to RN)
  9. Quiver (6/6 arrows)
  10. Fireseeds (7)
  11. Kazan-Oud Platinum Amulet
  12. Bronin Vest (+3 CS; +1 EP)

If we do keep Helshezag we'll need a rule to determine when we use it. We can use it one round per combat without penalties, so we could say that any time we're not using the Sommerswerd we start with Helshezag and then switch to the dagger - but it might also be worth using for longer in situations where the Combat Ratio is particularly disadvantageous otherwise. So if you want to make use of Helshezag, think about what circumstances you want to use it under.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 18, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This is the one thing I don't really like about this book. Our main alternative magic weapon for icing Darklords and such is a sword that drains your Endurance permanently. That bites.

Then again, since it's been proven Endurance losses don't matter much in this LP... I still don't like it.

Leave the Evil Sword behind, and try to bluff the stupid Drakkar using our disguise. I'll let others decide if we want to eat Healing Meals.

Also, we could have totally dueled Kraagenskull Good Sword to Evil Sword with the Sommerswerd, there's an in-built exception for using it against him. But I figured there was no chance I could argue for that without spoilers, so I didn't. It's also a tougher fight, I'll let Tiggum post the Stats.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Those are some remarkable amounts of whoopass in that sword. And since we're down a Sommerswerd for the book, it can't hurt to have a weapon on hand that gives us CS, even if it's cursed.

Take Helshezag, but only use it for the first round of combat. Drop our Fireseeds for it. Use all our healing meals. WHABAWTUI.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Permanent losses probably would matter.

Leave sword, shove delicious bacteria in our face, bluff..

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Shoot him with an arrow. If that bird is mad at us just being there there’s no way we can waste any time.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Drop the evil sword. It may be marginally useful in emergencies but if we’re that desperate I’d rather use the Sommersword.

Politely ask the Drakkar to leave.

All that fighting makes a man hungry. Leave one +2 meal, chow down on the other meals.

nelson fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 14, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Also, we could have totally dueled Kraagenskull Good Sword to Evil Sword with the Sommerswerd, there's an in-built exception for using it against him. But I figured there was no chance I could argue for that without spoilers, so I didn't. It's also a tougher fight, I'll let Tiggum post the Stats.
Whether or not the fight is harder is actually kind of complicated. He ends up getting injured before the fight so instead of CS 35, EP 38 you fight him at CS 30, EP 29, so his stats are lower. Also you get to use the Sommerswerd vs. the Crypt Spawn, which have exactly the same stats either way, so that fight's a lot easier. But if the Crypt Spawn fight lasts more than three rounds then Kraagenskűl has time to get a message off to Gnaag, who sends an army to come stop you and you die. If you beat the Crypt Spawn in 3 rounds or fewer then you have to roll 6 or higher (+2 for Circle of Solaris, +1 for Circle of Fire, +2 for the Weaponskill missile weapon bonus) or he gets the message sent anyway and the result is the same. But if you roll a 6 or higher then you hurl the Sommerswerd at him (cutting his hand off - the injury I mentioned before) and fight him at reduced stats. The only problem is then is that you do no damage for the first three rounds as it takes you that long to retrieve the Sommerswerd and your regular weapons can't harm him.

The chances of beating the Crypt Spawn quickly enough are actually pretty good since you should have a decent advantage over them and as long as you're relatively uninjured (or take a potion between fights) then you should also be able to beat Kraagenskűl without too much difficulty. He'll do a bit of damage to you before you pick up the Sommerswerd (especially if you don't have Psi-surge because he's immune to Mindlblast) but once you do you get that immediate CS boost and should be able to take him out pretty quickly.

The only real issue is that die roll to determine if you manage to hit him when you throw the Sommerswerd. If you've got everything going for you it's only a 10% chance of failure, but if you don't have the Circle of Solaris then you also don't get the Circle of Fire bonus, and if you skipped the book that tells you about the Weaponmastery missile weapon bonus then you don't get that either (improved discipline bonuses aren't repeated in later books in the print versions, so you could completely miss out on things you're supposed to know about and calculate for yourself), so you could end up with a straight 60% chance of unavoidable death. And the book is mean enough to make you actually do the fight anyway, even though you're going to die right after.

In our situation it probably would have been easier to use the Sommerswerd, but the die roll we had to do to grab Helshezag before Kraagenskűl did is literally unfailable as long as you've completed at least three Magnakai books, so we did avoid that 10% death chance. :shrug:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, judging by everything Tiggum said, it was probably best we left our blade sheathed. Geez, can the RNG overwhelm you in this game sometimes- I'd forgotten so many factors were involved.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Materant posted:

Those are some remarkable amounts of whoopass in that sword. And since we're down a Sommerswerd for the book, it can't hurt to have a weapon on hand that gives us CS, even if it's cursed.

Take Helshezag, but only use it for the first round of combat. Drop our Fireseeds for it. Use all our healing meals. WHABAWTUI.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Take Helshezag.

+5, and +7 against Darklords, one round of it is all we're gonna need. :black101:

Obviously if we're going so deep into hostile territory that we can't even use our Good magic sword on pain of blowing our cover, it behooves us to pick up an Evil magic sword, even a cursed one. And we left our other Evil magic weapon in lockup.

Chow down on our bacteria health food and since we stopped getting the fireseed option in pre-game equipment it's probably safe to drop the fireseeds.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Take Cancersword, drop the Fireseeds. Kai Lords are responsible stewards of the environment, and we need to dispose of it properly. Only use it if we fight another Darklord or monster immune to non-magic weapons while in the Darklands.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Keep Stormbringer I mean Helshezag, drop the Silver Rod (ed: yeah, do the default "automatically fight anything immune to magic weapons" thing with it, and "first round against anything with a ridiculous combat ratio" things too)

Tell the Drakkar his boss is looking for him (though pushing him over the edge would be funnier)

Eat 1 meal of friendly bacteria

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Does that silver rod ever actually do anything?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Does that silver rod ever actually do anything?
In a later book i think, why did you guys take it and left the Dagger of vashna behind is beyond me. The dagger get an insane + bonus against darklord too and don't cost permanent endurance.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GimpInBlack posted:

Take Cancersword, drop the Fireseeds. Kai Lords are responsible stewards of the environment, and we need to dispose of it properly. Only use it if we fight another Darklord or monster immune to non-magic weapons while in the Darklands.

We can only carry two weapons and we can't use Sunny Delight here. We would have to use our +3 Polonium Broadsword in every fight.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jedit posted:

We can only carry two weapons and we can't use Sunny Delight here. We would have to use our +3 Polonium Broadsword in every fight.

Book specifies it's a special item, not a weapon.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Drop the evil sword.

Materant posted:

Use all our healing meals

Comstar posted:

WHABAWTUI.

Endurance: 10/38.

The Death Knight, silhouetted by the glow of the harbour lights, presents you with an easy target. Silently, you draw an Arrow to your lips and send it burrowing deep between the plates of black steel that protect his spine. He stiffens, and then collapses in a heap by the parapet wall. A quick search of his body uncovers the following items:
  • Spear
  • Axe
  • Dagger
  • 60 Kika (equivalent to 6 Gold Crowns)
  • Bottle of Wine
  • Pouch of Tobacco
  • Pipe
  • Iron Key
  • Enough food for 1 Meal
If you wish to keep any of the above items, remember to record them on your Action Chart.

Curing: +1 EP (11/38).

The leathery Zlanbeast flaps its wings and shifts its weight uneasily from one clawed foot to the other. Carefully you approach this dangerous creature, with your eyes fixed upon its saddle and your nerves on edge, fearing that at any moment it will slash you with its razor-hooked beak.

Curing: +1 EP (12/38).
We roll: 4 +4 (Animal Control) = 8.

The creature soon accepts that you are its new master and becomes totally obedient to your commands. It lowers its head and allows you to climb onto its back, where you settle into a comfortable saddle, high-backed and luxuriously padded. A tug on the gem-encrusted reins, and the Zlanbeast takes to the air, climbing with breathtaking speed into the night sky. High above the ironclad fleet, you turn the beast towards the west and begin a journey that you pray will end safely in Aarnak.

Curing: +1 EP (13/38).

Icy winds tear at your mask and armour as you soar thousands of feet above the southern foothills of the Gourdanak Mountain Range. Were it not for the protection of your Golden Amulet, the bitter fury of these winds would have frozen you to death within an hour of leaving Argazad, yet you feel nothing, save exhilaration and a nagging fear of what awaits you in Aarnak.

Dawn breaks during the second hour of your flight, and in its dull grey light you glimpse the landscape as it speeds past below. To the south lies the Naogizaga, a vast plain of ash and slime-filled rifts; to the north lie the snow-capped peaks of the Gourdanak Mountains; and ahead lies an unwelcoming vista, a desolation of stunted, poisonous vegetation and hilly crags. You are tired and hungry after your perilous ordeal in Argazad, and must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

Curing: +1 EP (14/38).

The day is but an hour old when suddenly it begins to get darker. A ceiling of black cloud spreads across the sky, fed by billowing plumes of noxious gases that pour from the cracks and craters of the southern wastes. Violent electrical storms rage in these plumes and a thunderous rumbling, like the growling of an angry giant disturbed from sleep, echoes in the bowels of the lifeless earth.

A redness in the clouds grows stronger as the Zlanbeast flies westwards. It fills the horizon, setting your pulse racing as you sense that Nengud-kor-Adez, the chasm of fire that surrounds Helgedad, is the source of the scarlet glow. You correct your course, steering the Zlanbeast away to the north, and within minutes you catch your first glimpse of Aarnak.

It is a grim spectacle, a mass of huge steel buildings grouped haphazardly around the mouth of a frigid estuary, surrounded in turn by a defensive ring of spike-topped earthworks. Everything appears to be eaten by rust, aggravated by clouds of corrosive steam that arise from rivulets of black water criss-crossing the ground. It strikes you as an uninhabitable place, yet its murky thoroughfares are teeming with thousands of grey-skinned creatures all pulling or pushing great iron carts filled with ore. As the Zlanbeast speeds towards the city, you search for somewhere suitable to land.

Curing: +1 EP (15/38).

Using your Kai skill of Huntmastery, you magnify your vision and scan the buildings below. You see a maze of garbage-choked streets, rusting tenements, and squalid slave huts. All bear the effects of the corrosive atmosphere, except one building, which is situated near the centre of the city. It is a tower, tall and unbent, its surface free from any sign of decay.

Confident that you have found where the Slavemaster resides, you bring the Zlanbeast in to land nearby. A Giak, his mouth hanging open in awe of your arrival, stands guard at the tower entrance. As you approach, he bows and stands aside, allowing you to enter the gloomy ground floor.

Curing: +1 EP (16/38).

A curved steel door slides shut, sealing the entrance, and plunging the gloomy chamber into total darkness. Then a narrow column of yellowy light pours onto your head, and a man’s voice, loud and full of arrogance, shatters the silence.

‘What brings you here, Drakkar?’ he booms, filling the chamber with resounding echoes. He speaks a curious dialect of Giak that sounds vaguely familiar. It is a dialect common in Magador, a border territory now occupied by Darkland armies. ‘I seek the Slavemaster,’ you answer. ‘I have come from Argazad to report that Sommerlund is burning!’

‘That is welcome news indeed,’ comes the reply, in a tone far less severe.

The steel door slides open and your Giak escort are dismissed. As it clangs shut behind them, the light grows brighter until you can see clearly the man to whom you have just spoken.

Curing: +1 EP (17/38).

Before you stands a magnificent warrior, tall and broad-shouldered, clad in purple satin and shiny steel mail. He holds you with his jade-green eyes and says: ‘I am the Slavemaster. Remove your mask, Drakkar, and reveal your true self.’

Your Kai senses tell you that he speaks the truth: he is the Slavemaster of Aarnak, and he has recognized the words that identify you as a fellow-agent of the Elder Magi. But the many years he has spent as a servant of the Darklords has taught him to be wary of their subterfuge, and not until you remove your battle-mask and he looks upon your unmistakably Sommlending features does he accept you as genuine. ‘Long have I waited for this moment,’ he says, quietly. ‘I know why you have come and I will help you all I can.’

‘But why?’ you reply, now suspicious of his true motives. ‘Why do you desire to betray your masters? Have they not given you the power you crave?’

‘Aye! That they have, but at a grievous price. Since the war began, they have demanded that the foundries and ore pits of Aarnak produce ever-increasing supplies of black steel. The quotas are impossible and I fear that the day is close when I will be of no more use to them. Ultimately, the Darklords destroy everything over which they have control—cities, land, races, even their own kind. The Elder Magi have promised me sanctuary in return for my help, and help I shall, for my life is dependent on your success.’ He smiles, amused by the irony of his situation, and then he bids you follow him to an adjoining chamber. ‘Come, you must prepare for your journey to the Black City.’

Curing: +1 EP (18/38).

You follow the Slavemaster into a chamber filled with marvellous treasures, furniture, and rich trappings, which seem anachronistic here in this foul city. He advises you to take off your Drakkarim armour and wear instead a hooded robe woven from a strange, silver-grey material. He comments favourably on the Golden Amulet you wear, assuring you that its protection will be essential for your survival in Helgedad. As you are about to don the robe, he insists that you wear your Backpack underneath it. ‘The creature who donated this garment, albeit reluctantly, was tall but possessed a severely crooked spine. In order to gain entry to Helgedad you must pretend to be that creature. The pack will help to complete your disguise.’

You ask the identity of the creature, and what has become of him. ‘He was one of the Liganim, those who assist the Nadziranim sorcerers with their black arts,’ replies the Slavemaster. ‘This particular Ligan came here to Aarnak to fetch a quantity of special grade ore for his master’s experiments, but the unfortunate creature met with a fatal accident, here in this very chamber.’ The trace of a smile on the Slavemaster’s face suggests that the accident may not have been quite so accidental.

‘How am I to get into Helgedad?’ you ask, hoping he has planned for this as well.

‘You will be told in good time, but first I must give you some other information that is vital to the success of your quest.’

Curing: +1 EP (19/38).

‘The Transfusor, which you must destroy to ensure the end of the Darklords who are now outside the boundaries of this realm, is located in the uppermost chamber of the Tower of the Damned. You will find this tower in a part of the city known as the Imperial Sector. But be warned! This sector is the most heavily guarded area of the city, for it is here that Gnaag himself resides.’

The Slavemaster takes a strange mask from a nearby table and offers it to you. It is made of a green, glass-like mineral and is shaped into a hideous visage. ‘Wear this always. It will keep safe your identity from any casual inspection.’ You accept the Green Mask (mark this as a Special Item on your Action Chart—you need not discard any other item in its favour if you already hold the maximum), and listen carefully as the Slavemaster concludes your briefing.

Curing: +1 EP (20/38).

‘Be on your guard at all times,’ he says, solemnly. ‘The lesser creatures of Helgedad are a ruthlessly treacherous breed, forever preoccupied with their complex political intrigues. You will need to be doubly cunning if you are not to fall foul of their wilful machinations. The robe you wear marks you as one of Darklord Ghanesh’s minions. He is far away at present, leading his horde in distant Lencia, but his absence will be of little help to you. Avoid all who wear robes of green and scarlet, for they are followers of Xog and Taktaal, Ghanesh’s closest rivals. But above all, avoid those who wear silver-grey, the same colour as yourself, for they know their own kind and are sure to see through your disguise.’

He walks across the chamber and picks up a curious-looking device by which he is able to tell the time of day. ‘Come, follow me. Now you will learn how you are to breach the defences of Helgedad.’

Curing: +1 EP (21/38).

The Slavemaster dons a mask that covers his nose and mouth, through which he is able to breathe safely the noxious air that swirls outside his tower. He takes you to the outskirts of Aarnak in his personal chariot, to a vast, open-cast quarry. The means of your transportation to Helgedad waits at the edge of the quarry’s vast crater. Your jaw opens in amazement when you set eyes on the vehicle, for it is gigantic, by far the largest vehicle you have ever seen on dry land.

‘It is a Lajakeka, a “stone-taker”,’ says the Slavemaster, clearly amused by your awed reaction to this wheeled leviathan. ‘It is filled with ore, mined here at this crater, that is destined for the furnaces of Helgedad. You are to be a passenger on its return journey to the Black City. However, you will not be travelling alone. There are several Liganim, and some others besides, who will be fellow travellers. Be wary of them and remember all that I have said.’

Then he bids you farewell, and watches as you climb the wide ramp that leads into the belly of the steel beast. Inside it is not unlike a ship, with cabins for the travellers and crew, and interconnecting passages that service the vast cargo holds full of ore. The Giak crew members allocate cabins at random, and once you are safely inside yours, you pull the bolt and try to make yourself comfortable on an unpadded steel bunk. Then the screech of metal on metal and the dull throbbing of the Lajakeka’s engines fill your ears. The bunk shudders and your pulse quickens: your journey to Helgedad is underway.

You have been travelling for less than an hour when you hear a knock on your cabin door.

Healing: +1 EP (22/38).

Your Kai skill of Divination enables you to detect that the creature outside your cabin door possesses magical abilities. You also sense that he, or she, is not emitting an aura of hostility.

Curing: +1 EP (23/38).
  1. Do we take any of the Death Knight's stuff? Aside from the weapons and coins it's all backpack items - even the key.
  2. Shall we answer the door or pretend we're sleeping?

Weapons:
  1. The Sommerswerd (+8 CS; x2 damage vs. undead)
  2. Dagger
    Belt Pouch (money):
  • 47 Gold Crowns
  • 30 Kika
    Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Lantern

3. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  4. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)

It's impossible to miss with that arrow, and practically impossible to fail to tame the Zlanbeast (10% chance) if you have Animal Control and have reached the rank of Archmaster. Animal Control does absolutely nothing for you if you haven't completed every Magnakai book up to this point though.

Normally I'd say that Huntmastery doesn't work while flying a Zlanbeast so we'd have to eat a meal there, but in this case we just ate a ton of food before we left so I think we're OK.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 18, 2018

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Swap Kika for Crowns as before, keep the food, booze and key.

Answer the door.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Swap Kika for Crowns as before, keep the food and key.

Answer the door.

Also, Tiggum, can you confirm the Dagger of Vashna was ok to wield against Kraagenskul? Memory is fuzzy and I seem to recall the book doesn’t mention it. Thanks.

Edit- checked the book online and yeah, we get +7 CS with the Dagger and don’t have to worry about a short fight like with the Sommerswerd. It’s one of the few times the Dagger is good to have. Sorry we missed it now. Downside- we fight Kraagenskűl uninjured- CS 45, E 48. [reloads page] Yeah, that’s what I thought. :)

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 14, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Also, Tiggum, can you confirm the Dagger of Vashna was ok to wield against Kraagenskul? Memory is fuzzy and I seem to recall the book doesn’t mention it. Thanks.
The Dagger of Vashna works, but it's not a great option. The Crypt Spawn straight up won't attack you while you're holding it, there's no chance at all of unavoidable death, and you get +7 to Combat Skill with no drawbacks. But on the other hand, Kraagenskűl’s stats get a major boost - Combat Skill 45, Endurance 48 - as he's uninjured and wielding Helshezag. In our case that would be a Combat Ratio of -11 (or -9 if we used an alether potion). Even if your Combat Skill is high enough to deal with that you're probably better off using Helshezag or the Sommerswerd anyway since the permanent Endurance loss doesn't apply to the fight with Kraagenskűl and you'll have no trouble with the Crypt Spawn.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 14, 2018

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Runcible Cat posted:

Answer the door.

This.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Swap Kika for Crowns as before, keep the food, tobacco and key.

Answer the door.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

OK, still one free space in our backpack.

Standing in the corridor outside is a slim, small, seemingly insignificant figure, clad in a loose-fitting garment of plain emerald cloth. His pinched and pallid face is of human proportion, and, were it not for his pig-like snout and watery, colourless eyes, he could easily pass for one of your species.

‘Humble greetings, Cagath,’ he says, in a syrupy sweet tone that makes your flesh crawl. ‘I bring the compliments of Bazdash-Vool, my worthy master. He invites you to join him in the gallery, where he is about to host an entertainment for his illustrious fellow passengers, to make their journey altogether less tiresome. Will you grace us with your presence, noble Cagath?’

Curing: +1 EP (24/38).
Do we accept the invitation or stay in our cabin?

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 18, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
A chance to observe Darklands culture? Why not? Accept the invite!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiggum posted:

Do we accept the invitation or stay in our cabin?

He's wearing green; we were warned about that. Better not give poo poo a chance to start; playing Murder on the Helgedad Express is too likely to get us noticed.

On the other hand gently caress it, we've got Invisibility. Join the party!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Runcible Cat posted:

He's wearing green; we were warned about that. Better not give poo poo a chance to start; playing Murder on the Helgedad Express is too likely to get us noticed.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Runcible Cat posted:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

What could possibly go wrong? :razz:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
As hilarious as it is bound to be, I feel there should be at least one token vote for avoiding our supposed bitter enemies.

E: wait, green robe wearers are meant to be followers of Xog. This guy said a different name. Is emerald green a different colour?

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 15, 2018

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Maugrim posted:

As hilarious as it is bound to be, I feel there should be at least one token vote for avoiding our supposed bitter enemies.

E: wait, green robe wearers are meant to be followers of Xog. This guy said a different name. Is emerald green a different colour?

Pretty sure he's taking us to his immediate boss. I don't think Darklord ride the choo-choo. In any case, go with him. Gotta play that political game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GimpInBlack posted:

Pretty sure he's taking us to his immediate boss. I don't think Darklord ride the choo-choo. In any case, go with him. Gotta play that political game.
Sure, we could keep a low profile and not endanger our mission...

As you follow the sycophantic creature along the corridor and up a flight of iron stairs to the deck level above, you ponder the name he called you—Cagath. No doubt it was the name of the Ligan whose identity you have taken on as a disguise. (Make a note of this name in the margin of your Action Chart. It could prove useful at a later stage of your adventure.)

A strange scene awaits you in the large, cylindrical chamber that is the gallery. At the centre of this steel hall, used by the Lajakeka’s passengers as a meeting place and gambling den, there is a square pit some fifteen feet deep. On tiered seats that encircle the pit sit a motley group of creatures, some of whose features you recognize: Liganim, Nadziranim, Giak ore-masters, and a dozen or so whose origins are a mystery to you. They are all cheering or bawling obscenities at two bulky pit fighters, who are locked in hand-to-hand combat below. The fight ends abruptly with the beheading of one combatant, and the pit is cleared quickly whilst old bets are claimed and new ones are laid on the next bout. Into the gore-stained pit step two new fighters: an orange-skinned reptilian armed with a spiked club, and a blue-skinned humanoid wielding a ball and chain. Giak crew pass along the tiers collecting bets. One of them appears at your side and tugs your sleeve. ‘Stak nart gug?’ he growls, waving a wad of orange and blue slips of hide, as he tries to tempt you to place a bet.

Curing: +1 EP (25/38).
We have 90 Kika, so we could bet some or all of it if we want to. If we do, how much and on which fighter? Or alternatively we could decide not to bet at all. If we do bet and we win then we'll double our money.

Actually the text of the book states "If the fighter you have chosen wins the combat, you will receive winnings equal to double the amount of Kika you staked. Should your fighter lose the combat, you will lose all of your stake." To me that reads as though you'd triple your money if you won, but I think the intent is just double.

The giak said "Orange or blue?".

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 18, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Thirty on the lizardman!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Leraika posted:

Thirty on the lizardman!