Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

That lasted like 2 episodes

I do agree those were two pretty tedious episodes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Don't eat the burrito

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bosch is so good I don't want to binge it so I'm gonna savor it and only watch one episode per day.

So I'm back on LiS and it's still bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It reminds me of those expensive, ambitious but troubled network mid-90s family sci fi programs like Earth 2 or Seaquest

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MiddleOne posted:

Lost in Space episode 2 has the most shameless product placement scene I've seen in years. :stare:

What was it again?
e: oh the oreos

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 14, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lost in Space is really, really, really boring

I fell asleep, the last thing I remember is Parker Posey mumbling "Doctor. Doctor Smith."

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah it is pretty bland. Fell asleep during EP 2 and have no plans to return to it

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Watched ep 2 and I think people are much exaggerating about the Oreos. It didn't seem any different than Santa Clarita Diet making a joke with Mountain Dew.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 14, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

Watched ep 2 and I think people are much exaggerating about the Oreos. It didn't seem any different than Santa Clarita Diet making a joke with Mountain Dew.

Will has a Rioch video camera, ain't no one upset about that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen the Oreo thing in question but I always think its funny that people sometimes overreact to really small product placement like "Do you want a Coke?"/"Yeah, I love Coke." instead of "Do you want a soda?" Like, ok, I buy that maybe Coke paid them to say that but who cares? Real people talk like that so I don't even notice it.

There's definite extremes though and I don't know if the Lost in Space/Oreo thing is that having not seen it. Like the classic is obviously Chuck with those Subway infomercials every episode which actually was just kind of funny in how over the top they took it. And there was that period where every show with a car chase was doing commercials on the surprisingly fast Toyota or whatever. But even that stuff just tends to make me laugh and I'll happily take it over commercials.

Now Spider-Man flying out of a pitcher's butt is the one that drives me insane sometimes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Producers have explained in the past that sometimes they have to pay to put products in their shows because viewers like familiar things. It would be completely different if she exhibited a brand new type of Oreo and talked about how low on calories they are.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lycus posted:

Producers have explained in the past that sometimes they have to pay to put products in their shows because viewers like familiar things. It would be completely different if she exhibited a brand new type of Oreo and talked about how low on calories they are.

That happened with Always Sunny and Subway, IIRC. Glenn Howerton got real annoyed with the chatter about them selling out for a quick buck and explained they had to cough up for that placement.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lycus posted:

It would be completely different if she exhibited a brand new type of Oreo and talked about how low on calories they are.

Also known as The Hawaii 5-0 method.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That happened with Always Sunny and Subway, IIRC. Glenn Howerton got real annoyed with the chatter about them selling out for a quick buck and explained they had to cough up for that placement.

Glenn Howerton is probably exactly who I was thinking of.

Bruceski posted:

Also known as The Hawaii 5-0 method.

Exactly.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 14, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Product placement however blatant isn't remotely the biggest problem with LiS.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

Product placement however blatant isn't remotely the biggest problem with LiS.

Oh, not even close, but when you’re watching a show that boring, when you see blatant product placement, and that “oh, come on” feeling is the biggest reaction you’ve had to it in the last 90 minutes...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I can't get mad at product placement. I stream everything so very rarely see real commercials, so I understand that they have to pay for the show somehow.

That said, it was a bit weird watching Tyrion Lannister eating fruit by the foot.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

Yeah the Oreo thing wasn't bad at all.

This show is definitely boring, but I'm still enjoying it. Probably helps I'm using it as background noise half the time. It picks up a little more after ep 4 but nothing spectacular.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The last couple of episodes are pretty good. They went way above the line for the effects. It looks like a movie,.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If it improves enough by the end and does well enough to get renewed, I'd watch a second season. If it stays at this quality I can always use a 'watch while I clean' tier show. If it improves then bonus.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

This has nothing to do with the newer Lost in Space but was the Dr Smith in the old one a complete sexual deviant or something? At the very least both Family guy and even season 10 of the simpsons (or: not so great simpsons but better than what it is now) portray the actor as a real candidate for TVIV moderation if you catch my drift. Was this unfounded or was he really as terrible as he was depicted? Bear in mind, I have never seen the older show like at all so if it's like completely obvious I wouldn't know.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Milo and POTUS posted:

This has nothing to do with the newer Lost in Space but was the Dr Smith in the old one a complete sexual deviant or something? At the very least both Family guy and even season 10 of the simpsons (or: not so great simpsons but better than what it is now) portray the actor as a real candidate for TVIV moderation if you catch my drift. Was this unfounded or was he really as terrible as he was depicted? Bear in mind, I have never seen the older show like at all so if it's like completely obvious I wouldn't know.

Dr Smith was just really campy and the show continually paired him with Will Robinson since, story wise, none of the adults would put up with his bullshit. Also that Smith would sell Will out at the moment of danger, yet always would come back to him once the tables were turned on him

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bill Mumy frequently encouraged the fan theories of Smith being a pedophile whenever it came up at conventions. To the point that Jonathan Harris's son had to step in to make him quit.

Edit: Also as far as new LiS, did I miss them explicitly saying it or was the "meteor" that hit the Earth and caused the cataclysm actually the alien ship that helped them develop interstellar travel?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Milo and POTUS posted:

To answer the question I think you were asking: there aren't any known scandals or closet issues with Johnathan Harris the actor. Dr Smith was just a creepy character in a way that people play to absurdities. It's like the "Fred always had the gang split up so he could bang Daphne while the Scoobies got into trouble" joke.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I described him as creepy earlier but I was just kind of being intentionally hyperbolic. I don't think there was anything to it. He was just kind of the stereotypical questionably moral antagonisticy character who always get paired up with the kid who got in trouble so it was easy to read into.

I think. I still don't know if I ever watched the show or not. More I think about it the more I'm convinced I must have when I was a kid and its just blurred in with Godzilla movies, Three Stooges, Knight Rider, Soul Train, and Adam West. Whatever was rotting my brain as a kid on weekends.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

If it improves enough by the end and does well enough to get renewed, I'd watch a second season. If it stays at this quality I can always use a 'watch while I clean' tier show. If it improves then bonus.

I'm giving it another chance while I mess around on the internet and I will say this much: it looks dead gorgeous on a 50" HDTV

Really seems like a "should have been a movie or two instead of a whole series" situation. I'm just waiting for Parker Posey to show up since my stoned and sleepy brain did not remember much of what happened so I'm starting over at the beginning.

edit: Dr. Smith in the original wasn't a pedophile, it's just that back in those days if you wanted a character to be dubiously moral you just told the actor to mince around a lot

edit2: the flashbacks should be cut out entirely, they are awful

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

She shows up in ep 2 iirc, and has been in every one since.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Fred was gay and Daphne was his bestie that's why he did that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does Lost In Space even warrant a thread? I kind of want to make one just so I can make the thread title "What if Lost, but In Space?"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Eh. If you want one, make it. Personally, better shows have no threads though and worse shows do so I won't complain either way.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I didn't mind the first few episodes, they're standard "We have a scifi problem, let's come up with a sci-fi solution within the hour!" , but ep 4 has a super sleepy pace with lots of walking/sitting around and no real events, so I hope that's not representative of the show going forward.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

She shows up in ep 2 iirc, and has been in every one since.

I take back what I said about the flashbacks being useless, Parker Posey's is amazing. Maybe they gave everyone flashbacks just so it wouldn't seem weird that she was the only one who had one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Bill Mumy frequently encouraged the fan theories of Smith being a pedophile whenever it came up at conventions. To the point that Jonathan Harris's son had to step in to make him quit.

Edit: Also as far as new LiS, did I miss them explicitly saying it or was the "meteor" that hit the Earth and caused the cataclysm actually the alien ship that helped them develop interstellar travel?

It was implied... i assume for reasons.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Does Lost In Space even warrant a thread? I kind of want to make one just so I can make the thread title "What if Lost, but In Space?"

They know exactly where they aren't... that's not lost.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

It was implied... i assume for reasons.

Okay, I didn't think it was very clear.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

False posted:

I just spent 30 minutes watching Lost in Space thinking wow - they really laid the "retro reboot" feel on thick with this show - also, Gary Oldman, Matt Leblanc, why have I not heard about this?!

... yea, need to be more careful with Netflix search results.

Watched the first episode of the actual show...and then went back to the above movie. Man, that was a lame first ep.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

False posted:

Watched the first episode of the actual show...and then went back to the above movie. Man, that was a lame first ep.

I would give episode 2 a shot because it's 90% Parker Posey being rad

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

New lost in space, I just now got that Robinson... swiss family Robinson! I'm slow!

This show is pretty dang boring, but pretty and scratches an itch with me in a big way. I need to get back into the 100. Also holy lord the sound design in this show sucks; the dialog is super quiet, then the music and effects kick in like thunder.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just saw the Oreo Scene and I gotta say I was expecting a lot worse but I guess I should have remembered that goons love to go nuts over things which last literally 5 seconds and are completely inoccuous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it was dumb.

I bailed halfway through episode 4, it just got kind of boring. And I can't keep watching, not when the new season of Bosch is up.

How about them Volvos in Bosch