Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume that's in The Archies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How much of Eisner's Spirit is worth seeking out? I own the first three archive volumes which I got for a song, but if I could get a bunch more fairly cheaply, is it worth it? I haven't worked my way through the three I own yet, but I recall thinking it pretty decent for Golden Age stuff. But is it one of those comics that would reward a deep exploration or are the first three and the Best Of probably sufficient?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

How much of Eisner's Spirit is worth seeking out? I own the first three archive volumes which I got for a song, but if I could get a bunch more fairly cheaply, is it worth it? I haven't worked my way through the three I own yet, but I recall thinking it pretty decent for Golden Age stuff. But is it one of those comics that would reward a deep exploration or are the first three and the Best Of probably sufficient?
It depends how much you enjoy reading the first few volumes. The fun in The Spirit is seeing Will Eisner's growth as an artist. Unless you're really digging it, there are not really definitive stories that you must read.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Pretty much all of the Eisner stuff is good and not just "good for the era", but there's a long period between volumes two and twelve where Eisner was in the army and not doing the strip. Feel free to skip up to volume 12 and then just keep reading.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 14, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I need to pop down to my newsstand for some new comics. But which ones should I get...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Random Stranger posted:

I need to pop down to my newsstand for some new comics. But which ones should I get...

That's very open-ended question. What kind of series did you like when you did read? If you never read before, what kind of series do you like in general? Can help you whittle it down from there.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the first volume of Laid-Back Camp came out recently, check if your newsstand has that

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Random Stranger posted:

I spy an issue of John Stanley's "13 Going on 18" in the back, which surely has more longevity than whatever those spandex goofballs in the front are supposed to be!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Covok posted:

That's very open-ended question. What kind of series did you like when you did read? If you never read before, what kind of series do you like in general? Can help you whittle it down from there.

Well, obviously I like my comics as an investment. Which of the ones available at my newsstand will I be able to retire on? Also, will pincher clips gripping the top of the comics reduce their value?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just wait till wednesday and buy as many copies of Action Comics #1000 as you can in as many variant covers as you can find.

Ka-ching!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just wait till wednesday and buy as many copies of Action Comics #1000 as you can in as many variant covers as you can find.

Ka-ching!

Make sure to burn them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh, we can WISH for a popular puritanical book burning movement. Surviving copies would skyrocket even further on an illegal black market!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The trick is to find everyone else's copy and burn theirs.
One day my X-Men number 1 will be with something

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've read half of The Vision and it's reminding me of One Hundred Years of Solitude, in the best possible ways.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

I've read half of The Vision and it's reminding me of One Hundred Years of Solitude, in the best possible ways.

I apparently need to give 100 Years of Solitude another chance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

The trick is to find everyone else's copy and burn theirs.
One day my X-Men number 1 will be with something

Is this more like Highlander or The One, starring Jet Li?

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

I have an odd question, and this thread seems like maybe the place to ask. The US edition of the Judge Dredd complete case files has had a different cover than the British version for the first 14 volumes released. The 15th volume of the US edition is being released this week.

However, it looks like the cover is the same as the UK version. Does anyone know if they decided to no longer do a different cover or is there a US version that just isn't on the internet or something else? I have tried to do some research online, but I cannot find anything definitive. I figured people here tend to be rather knowledgeable. Thanks in advance.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/985948699443580929

DC should just do a line of crossovers with 90s and 80s shows

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gimme dat Injustice Wonder Woman/She-Ra fight, Seeley!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Samuringa posted:

DC should just do a line of crossovers with 90s and 80s shows

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Did Leonardo get bit by a radioactive spider at some point?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

It's hard to top this panel for ridiculousness in my opinion.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Those comics are actually really good, if anyone's wondering. The Rebirth Detective Comics guy writes 'em.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Those comics are actually really good, if anyone's wondering. The Rebirth Detective Comics guy writes 'em.

Agreed. The scene after the turtles first fight Batman is so awesome. Everyone has their own take on what the hell they just fought, but Leonardo's all, "I've never fought someone like him...Shredder, maybe...but it was different. He was testing us. Avoiding lethal blows...he wanted to figure us out. He was fighting like a detective. I've never seen anything like it."

Even that Batman/Raphael panel is from a good scene. Raph is dismissive that Batman really gives a poo poo about helping them (being in the DCU is causing the mutagen in their biology to break down and they're on a time limit) and feels that he's just a loner with no concept of family who does this vigilante thing as a lark. Batman shows him that this isn't true.

There's a separate Batman/TMNT crossover where it's the Batman: The Animated Series continuity meeting the Nickelodeon TMNT continuity. It's really fun and it acts as the canon reason for why Scarecrow changed up his look to the creepy noose costume.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Bertilak posted:

I have an odd question, and this thread seems like maybe the place to ask. The US edition of the Judge Dredd complete case files has had a different cover than the British version for the first 14 volumes released. The 15th volume of the US edition is being released this week.

However, it looks like the cover is the same as the UK version. Does anyone know if they decided to no longer do a different cover or is there a US version that just isn't on the internet or something else? I have tried to do some research online, but I cannot find anything definitive. I figured people here tend to be rather knowledgeable. Thanks in advance.

A GIS shows a "US" version buried in all the other images, but I'm not sure if it's real.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Somewhat of a tangent, but I really appreciate the colors on Barbara's costume, is that the one she's running with right now?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah.
2014 to now

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
No, I know that one, in the TMNT cover her suit is a very distinctive blue

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just some artistic license, I suppose. Her costume's still a purple jacket.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's hard to top this panel for ridiculousness in my opinion.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hahaha, I stand corrected! The idea of Bane getting someone to make him a custom fabric mask bigger than a parachute and then taking it to there and unfolding it is really silly! It seems like a Silver Age plot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/jongraywb/status/986999204143861760?s=19

There's no way that's a coincidence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whilce Portacio confirmed that years ago.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Good to see Spawn is as garbage as ever.

Alternatively: Spawn still exists?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/spideystights/status/988000399524278273

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I had to wiki his age when someone was talking about shipping him with Shuri so yea, I can see that happening.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

You'd think he'd invest in an id considering he looks 12.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If it was in the States, I would assume he'd have his passport. If it was here in the UK? If he doesn't have a driver's licence, he may not normally carry photo ID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

If it was in the States, I would assume he'd have his passport. If it was here in the UK? If he doesn't have a driver's licence, he may not normally carry photo ID.

You can buy beer at like 16 in the UK.

• Locked thread