Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I don't know why they couldn't have just cleaned up the rules for Regeneration instead of getting rid of it entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ShadeofBlue posted:

Eh whatever. Indestructible is a better ability than regenerate, so making it cost more makes sense. I doubt more thought went into it than that. It’s purely a limited card, and a bad one at that so who cares what the activated ability costs anyway?

a wall isnt gonna be regenerating twice a turn

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't know why they couldn't have just cleaned up the rules for Regeneration instead of getting rid of it entirely.

regeneration has a lot of clauses that make it hard to clean up without changing in some way, and they don't like functional errata, which I think is a good thing tbh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So I'm 5-2 at Hartford today playing for day 2. My opponent is at 4. I play a human to trigger my champion to 4/4. He cracks his fetch and starts looking through his deck shocked that he doesn't have any Mountains left to get and not have to shock himself. So he calls a judge and says he had 3 mountains on his decklist but only 2 in his actual deck, the third mountain was a Stomping Grounds instead. After like 15 mins the, the judges let him walk over to the draft tables, grab a mountain and put in his deck instead of the Stomping Grounds and lets him fetch it to bolt my Champion. He was dead on board at 1, he won the game cause he only had to go to 3. WTF.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mcmagic posted:

So I'm 5-2 at Hartford today playing for day 2. My opponent is at 4. I play a human to trigger my champion to 4/4. He cracks his fetch and starts looking through his deck shocked that he doesn't have any Mountains left to get and not have to shock himself. So he calls a judge and says he had 3 mountains on his decklist but only 2 in his actual deck, the third mountain was a Stomping Grounds instead. After like 15 mins the, the judges let him walk over to the draft tables, grab a mountain and put in his deck instead of the Stomping Grounds and lets him fetch it to bolt my Champion. He was dead on board at 1, he won the game cause he only had to go to 3. WTF.

Correct and owned.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AnEdgelord posted:

Wizards, understandably, doesn't like to change cards so they that they actually work differently than what it says on the card / how they worked when first printed.
There's plenty of old cards that are a goddamn mess but aren't gonna be fixed because functional errata is a no-no.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Toshimo posted:

Correct and owned.

Yeah they really showed me for filling out my decklist correctly... (I've gotten game losses for deck list registration errors before. I'm sure everyone who plays competitive magic has.)

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Entropic posted:

Wizards, understandably, doesn't like to change cards so they that they actually work differently than what it says on the card / how they worked when first printed.
There's plenty of old cards that are a goddamn mess but aren't gonna be fixed because functional errata is a no-no.

"target creature or player"

I support them finally making the sensible choice on this but man is it going to be confusing explaining to newer players that that phrase could mean two different things depending on when the card was printed

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Entropic posted:

*cough*Impulse*cough*

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TVsVeryOwn posted:

*cough*Impulse*cough*

What the heck was the story with that card anyway? Why did it get changed?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Toshimo posted:

Correct and owned.

I'm not so sure it's correct. From the IPG about deck problems:

quote:

If an error resulted in more copies of a main deck card being played than were registered and this was discovered after the game had begun, the penalty is a Game Loss.

Presumably, the opponent has been benefitting from the improved mana consistency of playing with one more stomping grounds than they registered. So it should have been a game loss and then they can fix their deck for the next game.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

mcmagic posted:

holy poo poo

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Castaway Jace seems real bad so I'm disappointed I opened 2 of him in mtg arena.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheLawinator posted:

Castaway Jace seems real bad so I'm disappointed I opened 2 of him in mtg arena.

Not as bad as GW Huatli.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Entropic posted:

Not as bad as GW Huatli.

She is better than him and might see play in GW tokens.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Every time I've run up against GW Huatli in Arena I've ended up basically ignoring it and attacking the player instead because it was doing basically nothing.

I admit it might do something if you cast it in a board state where you're already overhwhelmingly winning.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Regeneration causing creatures to become tapped makes sense, especially since they started printing Zombies that CPT which I assume is meant to represent them needing a turn to rise from their grave, and Regeneration is "I died, but I got better" and it makes sense that it would "exhaust" a creature.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I get why they changed that rule but that seems loving loose as hell.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

I woulda appealed to a head judge for that, that seems sketchy as hell letting a player resolve a deck / decklist error in their favor in the middle of a search with no meaningful penalty.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

I woulda appealed to a head judge for that, that seems sketchy as hell letting a player resolve a deck / decklist error in their favor in the middle of a search with no meaningful penalty.

I mean it does feel like special circumstance. This isn't someone finding that they left their sideboard during keep/mul. This isn't someone finding out they put the wrong card in their deck their first round. This isn't someone noticing they lost a card somehow. This fucker has been running an illegal deck for 7 rounds and then only finding it out when it benefits them. It could all be legit but smells stinky as gently caress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would understand that ruling if he had like a random Island instead of his third Mountain but in that specific case it seems like he should have to deal with it. Stomping Grounds is a Mountain. What would have happened if he had played Stomping Grounds? It sounds like he intentionally put it in his deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Was it the only stomping ground or one more than he should have had? I can't think of a deck that would 3 mountains and a stomping ground on purpose. Are burn running that as a variant these days? If so, having a second one in the deck is a benefit on the play as it ups the odds to being able to play Destructive Revelry on curve blowing up a vial.

Although now that i think about it revelry in for just vial seems loose on its own.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 15, 2018

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Entropic posted:

One of the ones that got changed, that I find the most fun is Kormus bell.
https://magiccards.info/un/en/257.html

It went from:
"Swamps have no color; they are not considered black cards." in alpha/beta/unlimited

to "All Swamps are 1/1 black creatures that are still lands." in the most recent ocacle text.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

mcmagic posted:

gently caress that, gently caress those judges, and gently caress the fact that this seems to be the new norm for competitive play.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Such a great picture showing the skillfulness of this cool cardgame for cool people.

... I need to find the time to go to a Modern LGS event with my Hollow One deck again soon :(

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How long until Hollow One starts including Death's Shadows? :v:

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

The Shortest Path posted:

How long until Hollow One starts including Death's Shadows? :v:

They used to run that last year, but I think it wasn't as good as the more recent lists.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/deck-evolutions-hollow-one-modern

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

I assume you appealed to the head judge because lol. Maybe if they had 59 cards in their deck, and the judges could see that the only inconsistency was a missing Mountain, and you could confirm that the opponent started the match with 60 cards (like if you watched them pile count it), maybe then I could see allowing a swap like that. Like if a card just fuckin' disappears or whatever.

lol at playing with a different deck than your decklist and being allowed to change back to the decklist midgame though

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://wpn.wizards.com/en/document/magic-infraction-procedure-guide

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Buffis posted:

Such a great picture showing the skillfulness of this cool cardgame for cool people.

... I need to find the time to go to a Modern LGS event with my Hollow One deck again soon :(

So was the sequence "cycle Street Wraith, play Mire, crack for Blood Crypt, play Faithless Looting (ditching Bloodghast/Mountain), cycle Street Wrath, cycle Street Wraith, double Hollow One?"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Some Numbers posted:

So was the sequence "cycle Street Wraith, play Mire, crack for Blood Crypt, play Faithless Looting (ditching Bloodghast/Mountain), cycle Street Wrath, cycle Street Wraith, double Hollow One?"

Correct. But to be fair, it is the mirror.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's an extremely WOTC thing to always err on the side of the dumbass who hosed up when putting his deck together.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Toshimo posted:

Correct. But to be fair, it is the mirror.

Oh wow, I didn't even look at that.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

A "deck problem" violation, which is just a warning, has the additional remedy listed as

"Remove any incorrect cards from the deck, including any sideboard cards that could not yet legally have been added. Locate any cards missing from the deck and shuffle them into the randomized portion of the deck. If the missing card(s) are with the sideboard and it isn’t the first game, choose the ones to be shuffled into the deck at random from all sideboard cards. If the error is discovered during opening hands, instruct the player to mulligan. Otherwise, do not replace discovered erroneous cards in hands or other sets (such as a group of cards being scried
or drawn).
"

I would have appealed that for sure in that situation but it kinda reads like as long as he says "oh the listed deck is what I actually meant to play" then what happened is actually correct. Which.... seems like total bullshit right? To do it in the middle of the activation of a fetch that's crucial in that way, and then let him still resolve it seems crazy to me. Like, obviously he should have to fail to find right?

Is calling a judge a state based action? lol

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I would say that after 7 rounds, that's his deck now, amend the deck list and resolve the fetch.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the fact that the dude didnt even have the mountain on him leads me to believe the judge should have used some actual judgement and determined he'd been cheating for the past 7 rounds

stump collector
May 28, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

the fact that the dude didnt even have the mountain on him leads me to believe the judge should have used some actual judgement and determined he'd been cheating for the past 7 rounds

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
If i have a maindeck Eidolon of Rhetoric on my decklist and I play 7 rounds without playing against Storm, and then whoops I try to Chord for Eidolon in round 8 against Storm and oh wouldn't you know it this maindeck Tireless Tracker is actually supposed to be an Eidolon, and I call a judge, I would not expect to be continuing to play Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

So I'm going to a prerelease next weekend. First mtg event I've gone to in a long time. Is there any way to "play" Dominaria cards online? The OP mentions Apprentice and Netdraft, which both seem quite outdated.

I suppose I could use draftsim.com, copy/paste the deck list into deckstats.net, use "sample hand" and just play vs. someone via IRC, honor system? I am just pumped to play and don't want to wait :)

Thoughts? I want to prep more than just slam-jammin momir casual because it's free and I have no other cards.