Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

In regards to the anime, I barely pay much attention to Ash any more as the characters introduced in the season are a little more interesting to follow. He's so bare bones as far as a shounen hero is concerned that any replace would probably just be exactly Ash in a new skin. I mean, other anime have replaced their main protagonists, but usually they end up being clones of the original a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

Look, no one says you have to like the anime or even Ash as a character. The thing is what I linked is, again, super low hanging fruit that serves to piss on an actual milestone on the franchise. It's about as derelict as writing about why Scrappy Doo is the worst character ever conceived, and it's wrong about what it's trying to write about to boot.

i am more interested in your defense of scrappy doo then anything to do with the anime

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i am more interested in your defense of scrappy doo then anything to do with the anime

He’s better than Flim-flam

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thinking about it, the character they're unwilling to reboot is much more likely to be Pikachu. If Ash ever won a league he'd be a Pokemon master and his journey would be over, but Ash doesn't really matter, new kid new journey it's all the same to the next set of kids. But they've built an empire on the back of that mouse, and while they could contrive some reason to give new Ash a Pikachu, why risk it?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

It’s less a defense so much as “what possibly new or worthwhile thing could you add to the discussion around why this character is allegedly so terrible that hasn’t been driven into the ground already.”

But if you want an actual “defense”, the character actually saved the franchise when it was waning and the source of him being so hated came from adults decades later who decided it changed something they were into once upon a time and was therefore the worst possible thing ever made.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

ItBreathes posted:

Thinking about it, the character they're unwilling to reboot is much more likely to be Pikachu. If Ash ever won a league he'd be a Pokemon master and his journey would be over, but Ash doesn't really matter, new kid new journey it's all the same to the next set of kids. But they've built an empire on the back of that mouse, and while they could contrive some reason to give new Ash a Pikachu, why risk it?

In fact, they kind of did just that with Detective Pikachu. Tim Goodman acts nothing like Ash and Detective Pikachu acts nothing like how Pikachu act in the anime or any other Pokémon-related media.

It's a bizarre concept, but people apparently have enough faith in it to make a god drat live-action movie out of it with Ryan Reynolds voicing the eponymous Pikachu. There's no getting around the fact that Pikachu has universal appeal and it's not going to change any time soon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How did Pikachu wind up becoming the face of the franchise anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they originally going to start Ash off with a Clefairy or something before changing it for some reason?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Red and Green came out and Pikachu ended up being very popular. So they changed plans in response to the fact that Pikachu was so popular.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

They also thought Pikachu was more gender neutral because Clefairy is very pink.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i just remembered bulbapedia's fuckoff-long section about which gender ash's pikachu was before they finally revealed him as a dude sometime in the sinnoh series

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

the character actually saved the franchise when it was waning

Curious about this, would you mind elaborating what that's about?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i just remembered bulbapedia's fuckoff-long section about which gender ash's pikachu was before they finally revealed him as a dude sometime in the sinnoh series

Gen IV was when they gave female Pikachus a heart-shaped tail, so Ash's was automatically male.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

less laughter posted:

Gen IV was when they gave female Pikachus a heart-shaped tail, so Ash's was automatically male.

even then there were people twisting themselves into knots to say ash's pikachu was a girl up until that togepi used attract and it worked on both him and meowth

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Avalerion posted:

Curious about this, would you mind elaborating what that's about?

By the mid-70's Scooby Doo's popularity was waning, so they needed to change things up. Scooby and Shaggy were the most popular characters, so they jettisoned Fred, Daphne, and Velma, and conceived Scrappy as a foil to Shaggy and Scooby's cowardice. The retool succeeded, and Scrappy became the reason why Scooby continued on as a franchise through the late 70's and 80's. By the 90's, the people who grew up with the characters were running the asylum as it were, and that's when the whole "Scrappy is an abomination" thing started taking root and he got left out. Because nerd culture is monolithic, it dominated the discussion about the character and the voices of the people who got into the series with Scrappy either didn't get their say or were just eclipsed to the point they weren't invested with it.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

even then there were people twisting themselves into knots to say ash's pikachu was a girl up until that togepi used attract and it worked on both him and meowth

The sad part is that people still twist themselves into knots over things. As a more recent example, they won't say that Litten's Stoutland mentor actually died despite all the heavy-handed imagery included in the episode to show that it did, including the Mufasa-seque final appearance as clouds in the sky.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That episode was better than anything Pokemon Special has ever done.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Parrotine posted:

I'm trying to get my best bug bud Araquanid to work smoothly in the battle tree! But his mediocre defenses and terrible base speed stat is making it hard. I finally managed to breed a shiny (!) one with Sticky Web and the moves Stockpile/Spit Up if I ever want the option to use those in the future.

What are some good partners to pair him up with for the tree? Lately I've been forgoing the Sticky Web for pure attack moves so I can put an Assault Vest on him, but even with that he's still pretty frail. His move pool is kind of mediocre, and although he can learn Iron Defense to cover for his shaky defense game, he usually loses too much HP before I can put those buffs to work.

Lately I've been baton passing speed buffs to him through Blaziken, but again it's tricky at times to get that set up just right. Any suggestions?

Araquanid @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Sleep Talk

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

That episode was better than anything Pokemon Special has ever done.

I guess that's what nettles me, moments of brilliance shining through on occasion before being swallowed back up. Rationally I know this thing is forever a slave to marketing I'm just disappointed they went with the whole Ash now and forever rather than having different protagonist for every new gen. Someone in marketing made that choice and now it's too entrenched to ever consider anything else. I will say this though, I do appreciate pokemon didn't go the route of digimon and start shoehorning tits into everything to boost viewership.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree here. I think Special's been on a solid downslope since Gen IV and everything since has been an attempt to out-ridiculous Kusaka's previous work. Meanwhile XY and SM have both been great for different reasons. It doesn't matter who the primary protagonist is as far as I'm concerned, a story can go off the rails for a number of reasons and Special feels like it's constantly jumping back and forth on the tracks.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Larryb posted:

How did Pikachu wind up becoming the face of the franchise anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they originally going to start Ash off with a Clefairy or something before changing it for some reason?

I'm convinced that the reason Pikachu is so much more popular than Clefairy is because, aside from being super cute:

A) Pikachu is the first electric pokemon you can get in gen 1 and it's found in one of the first areas, something that's super useful in taking down misty's gym if you picked Charmander or Squirtle (which most kids did), and you're not going to be seeing any other electric types for a long while after Viridian forest (and none are as cute as Pikachu, sorry voltorb fans but it's true). Lots of kids had this mouse in their party and had time to get attached.

B) Now that Celfairy is a fairy type and has a fantastic super ability the Clefairy/Clefable line are actually really useful, but in gen 1 they sucked. Bland type, bad stats, and to top it all off they were hard to find in game. They had nothing going for them, and by the time you encounter them you almost certainly had a full team of six and Clefairy isn't exciting enough to warrant switching anything out for. No one had this lil' pinkie pal on their team, no one got attached, no one gave enough of a poo poo about them for them to be a mascot.

Sorry Clefairy, maybe if you had been a psychic type more people would have loved you?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's also a rare pokemon in that first area, it has the prestige value of having to spend however long grinding to get it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flopsy posted:

I will say this though, I do appreciate pokemon didn't go the route of digimon and start shoehorning tits into everything to boost viewership.

You mean the thing Digimon has done since Adventure? Because it really has only gotten a tiny bit more blatant than that. Hell, Appmon very much did not do it at all and that's the newest (and one of the best) series.

Well, the games have definitely gotten sexualized, but they're adult-oriented to begin with. And have a really terrible artist, who the hell saw Devil Survivor and said "yes, this is a person I want on my team"?

Nodosaur posted:

Man, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree here. I think Special's been on a solid downslope since Gen IV and everything since has been an attempt to out-ridiculous Kusaka's previous work. Meanwhile XY and SM have both been great for different reasons. It doesn't matter who the primary protagonist is as far as I'm concerned, a story can go off the rails for a number of reasons and Special feels like it's constantly jumping back and forth on the tracks.

Yeah, we're definitely going to disagree. Special-wise, BW was okay, B2W2 will never end and ORAS was mediocre, but XY was really, really good and the proof that the games could've genuinely had a plot with genuinely likable characters if GameFreak cared (good thing they returned to caring for SM), and I genuinely consider XY better than DP (which is still third on my list, the first will always be RS).

I won't say anything about the anime because I don't watch it and haven't watched it since Battle Frontier, but at least I appreciate the openings and I watched some XY battles, they were really well animated and enjoyable. Oh, and the Mega Evolution specials were neat too. If the anime will be what it is forever, it'd be nice to get more stuff like that and the more game-based ones like Origins and Generations, more the former than the latter.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

FRLG was the high-water mark of special imo (not that i didn't also like DPPt and XY and so far, SM has been great; moon's bow alone owns bones, if nothing else)

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If Ash ever wins a league championship, the next season should be a time skip to washed-up 32 year old Ash arriving in the next region to relive his former glory.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Maybe it's just me but that uh...kinda feels like what the show is already sans the winning. Except Ash is a bizarre immortal who never loving ages.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

You mean the thing Digimon has done since Adventure? Because it really has only gotten a tiny bit more blatant than that. Hell, Appmon very much did not do it at all and that's the newest (and one of the best) series.

Well, the games have definitely gotten sexualized, but they're adult-oriented to begin with. And have a really terrible artist, who the hell saw Devil Survivor and said "yes, this is a person I want on my team"?

Yeah......Glad to hear Appmon is better I stopped watching years ago though. That "Young hunters through time" was some horrendous poo poo. And camera pan ups of boobs flapping like they're in a wind tunnel during attacks just....skeeves me out kinda. All I can think is: you made this for 8 year olds didn't you? Are you trying to give them lil' kid boners or something? Just.... *shudders*

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I had felt dissatisfied with Special for a while, but when I got to XY and they blew up the protagonist's hometown, I finally understood what was bothering me, and that it's trying too hard, and every successive series is trying to one up the previous and nothing really feels grounded anymore. Shauna being a totally different character didn't help, and in general stuff like that kind of ruins the conceit that everyone goes on about that Special is "more true to the spirit of the games". Maybe part of this is due to fatigue with everyone pushing it too hard, but I just can't enjoy it anymore.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should add cuss words to the Pokemon show.

Hustlin Floh fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 15, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nodosaur posted:

I had felt dissatisfied with Special for a while, but when I got to XY and they blew up the protagonist's hometown, I finally understood what was bothering me, and that it's trying too hard, and every successive series is trying to one up the previous and nothing really feels grounded anymore. Shauna being a totally different character didn't help, and in general stuff like that kind of ruins the conceit that everyone goes on about that Special is "more true to the spirit of the games". Maybe part of this is due to fatigue with everyone pushing it too hard, but I just can't enjoy it anymore.

The XY friends squad having any character would make them different characters completely.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Believe it or not I'm not a giant special fan either. Strictly like the games stories because they straddle the line of goofy and serious pretty good.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dabir posted:

It's also a rare pokemon in that first area, it has the prestige value of having to spend however long grinding to get it.

That too! And since it was the first area so grinding didn't feel like a chore yet. Pikachu really had a lot going for it in gen 1: Good type, good placement, great design, and the the anime came along and sealed it's place as the series mascot forever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The XY friends squad having any character would make them different characters completely.

No kidding, but it makes Tierno surprisingly likable. Trevor is okay. Shauna is really changed but whatever. Tierno is definitely the big winner in Special.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Let Ash win a League and have a Champion League Circuit arc where we can learn more about the Elite Four and Champions, and have Ash battle a bunch of them and ultimately lose to a champion or something

Would've liked to see people like Sydney and Grimsley in the anime

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Jithendra posted:

I find that Araquanid works better with a Trick Room setup, so you can capitalize on his low speed stat instead of trying to boost it, which because of the low base stat can only get you so far.

Are you playing singles or doubles? I think he might be more viable in doubles, since with two pokemon on the field it's easier to set up TR, and paired with a Fake Out user you can also give Araquanid some room to set up. Also try bringing an Intimidate user to shore up the defense.

I'd strongly consider giving him a Z-crystal, and using either Hydro Vortex or Z-Stockpile if you want to go defensive. Araquanid can be surprisingly bulky when set up, and Leech Life provides a decent way of healing.

Ah! I didn't think of a trick room setup. Depending on who's setting it up/who I'm switching into it seems to work pretty well, thanks for that.

Odd question time! I'm partnering him up with a Aegislash who is holding an Iron Ball; I wanna hit hard with Gyro Ball, but I'd like to pair it up with Magnet Rise to get rid of pesky ground damage.

If I'm holding the Iron Ball using Magnet Rise, will I still get hit with ground moves? Just wanna know if it's a pointless move slot to waste.

EDIT: Aw wikipedia says Magnet Rise is affected by the iron ball :(

I'm trying to get that speed drop though, maybe a Full Incense will do it without grounding me?

White Light fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 15, 2018

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Finally, Macho Brace gets a chance for the other thing it does to shine.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm convinced that the reason Pikachu is so much more popular than Clefairy is because, aside from being super cute:

In regard to the desing itself Pikachu is actually something. And it’s not only “cute” but also “cool”. Clefairy is just a pink something, and I can easilly see kid me writing it of as too girly. Plus yea it’s just boring.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Finally, Macho Brace gets a chance for the other thing it does to shine.

Macho Brace is not in Ultra Sun/Moon!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Darn. Although don't the other Power items slow you down too? I seem to remember that being a thing.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Finally finished my run of Platinum. I gave up on finding a Feebas because lol, so I switched it up to using a Gyarados. It’s seriously one of the strongest and most reliable Pokémon you can have. Dragon Dance + Ice Fang carried me through the battle with Cynthia

Final team: Infernape, Togekiss, Roserade, Electivire, Gyarados, Steelix

Now it’s off to the post game, which is legit one of the best ones Pokémon has done. Love me some Battle Zone; I think I might either do VC Crystal or HG for my next run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I just remembered that Darkrai has weird tiny legs and it seriously fucks me up