Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure what the worst movie I've ever seen is.

The only movie I've seen recently that I just had to give up on and quit was Guy Ritchie's Revolver but I'm not sure if that was bad or if I just didn't understand it. :shrug:

I don't intentionally watch bad movies and I try to be picky about what I do watch, so I can't really say I ever watched something eye-gouge terrible. I think God Bless America is the closest thing I've watched that I'd say was "awful" but even then it was mostly "eh".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arist posted:

I haven't seen The Room, but it's not the worst movie ever.
No and it's not even the worst movie I have seen either, but it's like a bad drama made by an alien who doesn't understand humans

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

I don't intentionally watch bad movies and I try to be picky about what I do watch, so I can't really say I ever watched something eye-gouge terrible. I think God Bless America is the closest thing I've watched that I'd say was "awful" but even then it was mostly "eh".

I had just seen World’s Greatest Dad, and saw God Bless America was from the same director, so I figured from the description it would have that same kind of dark but kind of grounded humor.

I was so god drat wrong. That movie is garbage.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

World's Greatest Dad is really good, and I could barely get through the trailer for GBA.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So in RPO the movie the first of three virtual reality quests to unlock Elon Zuckermusk's golden ticket is a race across a shifting version of New York City that apparently nobody has been able to complete ever, including the evil megacorp with a literal slave farm of players at its disposal until the protagonist deciphers the incredibly subtle and well-hidden clue hidden in the main programmer's personal biography, "Why can't we go backwards for once? Backwards really fast, as fast as we can – really put the pedal to the metal."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The worst movie I've seen was Gymkata (the THRILL of gymnastics, the KILL of martial arts), but the thing is if you go in knowing it's terrible, there are things to appreciate about the movie. An actual world-class gymnast, doing some things in the movie that at the time he was the only person capable of doing them, and the village of crazy people was absurd but had some nice thematic creepy camerawork. Nothing fit with anything else, and the Eastern European xenophobic country that didn't allow any outsiders in the last hundred years needed to explain their princess with a "by the way her mother was Indonesian" aside, but I liked it and would watch it again.

Garbage movie, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How to Be Single.

I wish I had a time machine so I could shoot myself in the head before that was recorded into my memories.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The worst movie I've ever seen in theaters was Couples Retreat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

How to Be Single.

I wish I had a time machine so I could shoot myself in the head before that was recorded into my memories.

That’s why you should have an emergency fifth of vodka, so you can induce a blackout and wipe it all out.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
In college a group of us decided to go see Ultraviolet in theaters and I think that's one of the few movies that actually made me angry over how bad it was. Like there's a difference between "bad but mindlessly enjoyable I guess" and something that bewilderingly fuckawful. The entire theater was dead silent, nobody laughed, nobody was whispering to each other, and when it was over everybody in the audience got up and left as quickly as possible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t consider movies like The Room or Fateful Findings to be the worst movie I’ve ever seen because they’re still so baffling that they become entertaining. To me a movie has to be just a total boring slog in order to qualify. Something like Birdemic or Movie 43.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The objectively worst movie I've seen in theatres is probably Dragonball Evolution but the bad movie I DISLIKE the most is the first Fantastic Four movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mycot posted:

but the bad movie I DISLIKE the most is the first Fantastic Four movie.
Really? I just found it dull.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kai Tave posted:

In college a group of us decided to go see Ultraviolet in theaters and I think that's one of the few movies that actually made me angry over how bad it was. Like there's a difference between "bad but mindlessly enjoyable I guess" and something that bewilderingly fuckawful. The entire theater was dead silent, nobody laughed, nobody was whispering to each other, and when it was over everybody in the audience got up and left as quickly as possible.

I was hoping for more stupid B movie fun like Equilibrium, but that’s another one where the director couldn’t deliver.

I also haven’t watched Equilibrium in like 12 years because I think it wouldn’t hold up to what I remember.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Equilibrium didn't need 12 years to be a bad film.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but at least the 2 sequels made the "It's better than the Matrix" people finally correct.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Seriously, so many people I knew gushed about that movie when it came out and when I finally got around to watching it my reaction was "seriously? This is supposed to be good?" And nowadays if you want to watch a movie full of slick, stylish gunfights you can just watch John Wick which does the whole thing a bazillion times better than Equilibrium's terrible excuse for fight scenes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Night watch/day watch are great fight me

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, but I was like 16 when I saw it. It appealed to the kind of garbage that a high schooler would like.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Retro Futurist posted:

Night watch/day watch are great fight me

yeah i remember really enjoying nightwatch :shrug:

i've been binging the punisher on netflix. is this accurate to the books? i'm digging it. only exposure to the punisher before this was the tom jane movie and the ray stevenson one.

gonna rewatch warzone after finishing the show. i remember liking it drinking to it with friends in college.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Worst movie I've seen in the cinema is trickier because for the past seven or eight years or so I've gone to the cinema maybe twice a year on average, and before that I just don't remember everything I'd been to see (even before that, I didn't go to see everything).

Based on the impression it made on me at the time (I was 15 and probably even less discerning than I am now, if that's possible) the worst is probably The Golden Compass. I think that's the first time I ever sat in a theatre watching a movie and thought, "This isn't very good. :("

Usually when I come out of a movie I'm thinking about what I liked and the things I didn't think worked need time to percolate in my mind, but that one was the first one I came out of thinking, "I feel like I've wasted my time." It left enough of an impression on me that even though I haven't seen it in the 11 years since it came out, I can still remember what I didn't like about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Worst two movies I’ve paid to see are probably the Rollerball remake with LL Cool J and that Dumb and Dumberer prequel

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Soul Glo posted:

i've been binging the punisher on netflix. is this accurate to the books?

The TV thread would have more info for you but short answer is not really, no. Most of the more widely renowned Punisher runs like Garth Ennis' are much more hyperviolent, almost grindhouse-y in places, where large parts of the series' are spent watching Frank mow through armies of goons with a dour expression on his face, and generally more focused on street crime like the mafia and gangs (with the occasional dip into something different like corrupt CIA agents or a special forces team) as opposed to PMC goons like the TV show. The show's a much slower burn with a lot more focus on Frank's own damage.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kai Tave posted:

The TV thread would have more info for you but short answer is not really, no. Most of the more widely renowned Punisher runs like Garth Ennis' are much more hyperviolent, almost grindhouse-y in places, where large parts of the series' are spent watching Frank mow through armies of goons with a dour expression on his face, and generally more focused on street crime like the mafia and gangs (with the occasional dip into something different like corrupt CIA agents or a special forces team) as opposed to PMC goons like the TV show. The show's a much slower burn with a lot more focus on Frank's own damage.

ah, ok. thanks.

i may look into it anyway!

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The worst movie I've seen is hands down The Last Jedi. It's bad in ways I really can't conceive of a movie with that kind of budget being.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alright we got the dumbest one possible so next topic.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

FlamingLiberal posted:

Really? I just found it dull.

It's two hours of people arguing until nothing happens, then everyone gets treated like heroes anyway. It's so annoying.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You people should try watching Gigli sometime.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Worst movie I saw in a theater is a tie between Valarian and Tomorrowland. I was going to say Battlefield Earth, but I went to that expecting it to be bad so we could laugh at it. A guy tried to give us Scientology pamphlets in the theater.

So I was thinking about how Whedon saying he had no story for Batgirl is very clearly a cover for some new terrible thing, or just he's a rat trying to escape the DCCU. Like how can you not have a story? Batgirl of Burnside felt like it was made to be adapted. Like have her decide she's tired of being a superhero in Gotham and decides to go back to school and be something other than the girl who hangs out with Batman. Though once she gets to school, she notices something hinky going on, which draws her back in. Have the villain be Poison Ivy who's Pam Isley, botany student. Oh and Nightwing guests.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I watched the Rifftrax of Rollergator. That's the worst movie I've ever seen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Worst movie I saw in a theater is a tie between Valarian and Tomorrowland. I was going to say Battlefield Earth, but I went to that expecting it to be bad so we could laugh at it. A guy tried to give us Scientology pamphlets in the theater.

So I was thinking about how Whedon saying he had no story for Batgirl is very clearly a cover for some new terrible thing, or just he's a rat trying to escape the DCCU. Like how can you not have a story? Batgirl of Burnside felt like it was made to be adapted. Like have her decide she's tired of being a superhero in Gotham and decides to go back to school and be something other than the girl who hangs out with Batman. Though once she gets to school, she notices something hinky going on, which draws her back in. Have the villain be Poison Ivy who's Pam Isley, botany student. Oh and Nightwing guests.

If the contents of the letter his wife published are even half true I hope he was run out of town with torches.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Back in college I got dragged into one of those Epic movies and that’s easily to worst thing I’ve seen on the big screen. There’s bad movies, there’s boring movies, then there’s the poo poo beyond poo poo that was those string of movies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

X-O posted:

I watched the Rifftrax of Rollergator. That's the worst movie I've ever seen.

I had to intentionally not count Rifftrax/MST3K movies because then it's easily Julie and Jack.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

If the contents of the letter his wife published are even half true I hope he was run out of town with torches.

Like the end of O Brother Where Art Thou?

I like that image. They might as well do it to Goyer and Ayer as well.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Forty days and forty nights.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
The only movie I was mad that I paid money to see was Transformers 2.

Anyway, I have two movies left on my Marvel rewatch and I'm not sure where to rent/buy Black Panther for the 23rd.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samovar posted:

Forty days and forty nights.

God, this reminded me of another movie that has the same gross sexual assault mindset, Senseless, where at some point the MC has some of his senses disabled - it's a bad movie, just go with it - and his ex(?) is feeling him up against his will and he's telling her to stop and she only does when she reaches down his pants and he is flaccid. She leaves in disgust and the Love Interest walks in sees him there and the usual lovely movie misunderstanding scene happens. Don't remember the details but pretty sure he has to apologize to her for that too.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I guess I'd say Four Christmases but I'm not really sure because I walked out on Christmas #1 and sat in the cold until the rest of the family was done with it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Chickenwalker posted:

The worst movie I've seen is hands down The Last Jedi. It's bad in ways I really can't conceive of a movie with that kind of budget being.

I haven’t seen it but no way it’s worse than attack of the clones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I wish I could claim that any Star Wars movie was the worst movie I'd ever seen.

• Locked thread