Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lancemantis posted:

I got so annoyed by waze poo poo today that I borderline just want to organize political action
why?

waze owns. i love getting routed around traffic thru sidestreets and blowing past elementary schools and putting to good use my cars suspension over bumps to make up for lost time spent missing the last light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don’t have the app because I can operate a vehicle competently

waze and other apps could have a useful purpose but right now it’s just loving everything up more

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i had it briefly a few years ago and it drops candies and other things on random streets around town that you drive over to collect to get points and level up, because we need to gamify driving out of your way apparently

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
“ugh, yeah, i felt bad about running that dog over, but i wasn’t about to lose that shiny pidgey!”

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

i had it briefly a few years ago and it drops candies and other things on random streets around town that you drive over to collect to get points and level up, because we need to gamify driving out of your way apparently

this should be illegal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you always get the points in waze at whatever interval, the candy or whatever is meaningless graphics

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

I don’t have the app because I can operate a vehicle competently

waze and other apps could have a useful purpose but right now it’s just loving everything up more

It's called a GPS grandpa, some people don't only drive to the liquor store

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
GPS units don’t have rat running as their fundamental design; most traditional ones you basically have to force into it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

GPS units don’t have rat running as their fundamental design; most traditional ones you basically have to force into it

The ones with traffic measurement support do
Stop whining that public roads are used by the public, grandpa. "rat running" is just shortcuts u dislike

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

you always get the points in waze at whatever interval, the candy or whatever is meaningless graphics

i mean back then you definitely got points for driving over the candy but this was like 5+ years ago so :shrug:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

It's called a GPS grandpa, some people don't only drive to the liquor store

lol at driving to a liquor store

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fishmech posted:

Stop whining that public roads are used by the public, grandpa. "rat running" is just shortcuts u dislike

Weird, I didn't see you at the last all hands

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol at driving to a liquor store

well i'm certainly not carrying a 12 pack and 6 bottles of wine home with my arms

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Elder Postsman posted:

well i'm certainly not carrying a 12 pack and 6 bottles of wine home with my arms

as long as you dont open anything without a resealable lid, the bus driver wont kick you off

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
what about malt liquour with the twist off caps you can put back on?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Elder Postsman posted:

if you're poor a twelve pack is in cans and doesn't weigh anything

if you are rich you order delivery

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

fishmech posted:

Yup, complaining about 'rat running' is just NIMBYism in another form.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
idiot: people shouldn't drive by my house!!!

traffic council: ok sir we'll put physical obstructions in and generally reduce access to the street

idiot: no!!! i should be able to drive here! just not Those People!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Peachfart posted:

Yup, complaining about 'rat running' is just NIMBYism in another form.

rat running is actually bad for quality of life

it is an example of nimbyism working for good: traffic doesn't belong there, and maybe residents can get the streets re-designed to match their intended purpose

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rat running is actually bad for quality of life

it is an example of nimbyism working for good: traffic doesn't belong there, and maybe residents can get the streets re-designed to match their intended purpose

wrong: the traffic belongs there.

if it didn't belong there, it wouldn't function in a way to avoid other traffic.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
nah ratrunning is an example of a failure of design, typically when the usage type of a road nearby changes over time and the surrounding area isn’t redesigned to accommodate it

it’s reasonable to expect affected residents to complain about it; they usually just complain about the wrong causes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I don't like rat running through 87 turns to save 2 minutes, but lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

actual solution: dont work what the gently caress

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nah ratrunning is an example of a failure of design, typically when the usage type of a road nearby changes over time and the surrounding area isn’t redesigned to accommodate it

it’s reasonable to expect affected residents to complain about it; they usually just complain about the wrong causes

if the road shouldnt have traffic on it, it shouldnt have any cars on it. close the road and make the whiny residents walk bing bang boom

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

President Beep posted:

“if you can immanentize this the eschaton fell off!”

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Krankenstyle posted:

i haven't worked in 20 years and i have to say i've never had a problem with traffic

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

if the road shouldnt have traffic on it, it shouldnt have any cars on it. close the road and make the whiny residents walk bing bang boom

closing outlets to a neighborhood is a typical improvement to solve it yeah

typically you can do it by converting a buncha streets to one-way on the periphery, thereby eliminating useful routes

sometimes they also deadend these streets using bollards or something

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Krankenstyle posted:

workin on it

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Beast of Bourbon posted:

what about malt liquour with the twist off caps you can put back on?

they are ok with that

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

“I wake up in cold sweats every so often thinking, What did we bring to the world?” —Tony Fadell, Known as one of the “fathers of the iPod”

http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/an-apology-for-the-internet-from-the-people-who-built-it.html

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
doing something like closing outlets that hurts all traffic is a sucky way to stop through traffic

hesitance to do so is not proof that through traffic "belongs there"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
lol Fadell, that hack thought Pixo would be a reasonable OS for iPhone and was basically humored so he would keep running iPod

as if SJ was ever going to pick his way over Bertrand & Forstall‘s

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ted hitler posted:

“I wake up in cold sweats every so often thinking, What did we bring to the world?” —Tony Fadell, Known as one of the “fathers of the iPod”

http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/an-apology-for-the-internet-from-the-people-who-built-it.html

naive as gently caress. it’s not being weaponized, it IS a weapon

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

skimming fast, will give a proper read later.

aaaaaAAAAA. yeah the counterculture of the US military. just ignore that darpa was protested as the dissolution of privacy. it’s been this way all along. there are revolutionary things about the internet, but this corporate narrative is tired as gently caress

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lmao

quote:

But it turns out that the same data that creates a positive, constructive process like the Arab Spring

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the article is not terrible. it just doesn’t understand that aspects of the current situation were desired from the start, for maximize soft power leverage. ffs cybernetics is unambiguously about comms and control. that people willfully engage in social networks with devices always on person is truly the ideal

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

also LOL at stallman in total paranoia “the supermarket has no right to track my purchases!” mode

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dylan16807 posted:

doing something like closing outlets that hurts all traffic is a sucky way to stop through traffic

hesitance to do so is not proof that through traffic "belongs there"

traffic belongs on through routes. that's the purpose of them.

If you don't want it, make it impossible to be there by making the roads difficult to impossible to access.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Facebook has spent $20 million on Mark Zuckerberg's security since 2015

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg took home just $1 for his annual base salary last year, but the company shelled out nearly $9 million on his security and private planes.
A new public filing shows Facebook significantly increased the amount it spent on keeping Zuckerberg safe in 2017, upping such expenses more than 50% from the $5.8 million it spent in 2016.

All told, the company has spent about $20 million on Zuckerberg's security and travel on private planes since 2015.

The company said the cost of Zuckerberg's "overall security program" was a way to address "threats to his safety arising directly as a result of his position as our founder, Chairman, and CEO."

"We require these security measures for the company's benefit because of the importance of Mr. Zuckerberg to Facebook," the filing states.

His private plane expenses include fees, fuel, crew and catering costs. And Facebook pays for security personnel and security systems at his residences, according to the filing.

It's not uncommon for companies to cover these types of expenses for high-profile CEOs. Apple (AAPL) recently required its chief, Tim Cook, to travel by private plane for "all business and personal travel," according to regulatory filings.

Apple spent about $317,000 on Cook's security and travel last year.

Facebook also covers security expenses for Sheryl Sandberg, the company's chief operating officer and a popular author and public speaker. The company paid for $2.7 million worth of personal security expenses last year on top of her $22.5 million salary, bonus and stock award compensation package, the public filings show.

Sandberg and Zuckerberg have made the rounds in recent weeks attempting damage control. Facebook is embroiled in controversy over how the company handles the sensitive information it collects from its 2 billion users. The scandal erupted last month with headlines detailing how a data analytics firm, Cambridge Analytica, was able to harvest information about 87 million users.

Earlier this week, Zuckerberg spent 10 hours testifying before Congressional committees about the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hourly has nothing to do with whether you are overtime eligible

this is just a way to cheat you out of pay for e.g. doctor's appointments

they specifically do not take advantage of any exemptions to OT pay for hourly employees, because turns out that burning out your employees when you’ve got a launch upcoming has a tendency to seriously gently caress things up when they ragequit.

Want to fly someone to Asia to fix something?
23 hours traveling door to door means you’re paying each way:
8 hours @ 1x
4 @ 1.5x
11 @ 2x

better be making sure it’s worth it.