Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Elephant Parade posted:

What, so he actually killed his father? Jesus. If Alison doesn't throw him in jail once the dream sequence ends, I will lose all faith in this comic (not that I had much left).

He didn't kill his father, his mom did. I know the actions are poorly conveyed but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Elephant Parade posted:

What, so he actually killed his father? Jesus. If Alison doesn't throw him in jail once the dream sequence ends, I will lose all faith in this comic (not that I had much left).

Well, he goaded his mother into killing his father.

I honestly couldn't care less if Alison takes this as an opportunity to judge him, because she's already destroyed her moral authority by being incredibly smug about inflicting psychic harm on him because she wants him to Be More Normal And Honest.

I can't recall if I've mentioned it here, but it explains that whole stupid pasta digression with Clevin. That was modeling Good Emotional Honesty, which Patrick is incapable of because of his maladaptive trauma coping mechanisms, so Alison is supposed to be justified in tearing them all down.

The utter cartoonishness of his trauma only makes me hate it all the more. Not least because Patrick's psychic powers would have been way more than enough to justify his trauma even if his parents were just kinda low-key lovely, rather than MURDERKILL THE DEATHMOTHER, SLAYER OF DOGS AND HUSBANDS.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
You all have too much faith in this comic.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Who What Now posted:

He didn't kill his father, his mom did. I know the actions are poorly conveyed but come on.

lmao if you really think Patrick didn't know exactly what his mother would do when handed a knife and that ultimatum.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

:thunk: you probably nailed it there, yeah.

fake edit: not being sarcastic

Bonus points if she falls because his father's last act of love for him is grabbing his wife's ankle and tripping her.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
And then patrick takes off his mask and you see he was Albert Einstein all along.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Axe-man posted:

You all have too much faith in this comic.

I have less than none, that Clevin/Patrick comparison is transparent and in service to an actually morally disgusting claim, viz, 'why are my friends with trauma such secretive pains when they could be passive-aggressive emotionally oversharing jerks like I am because the highest-stakes part of my life is people not liking my superhero webcomic that's full of sweet clevins.'

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
You forgot wanting to gently caress the lesbian artist in kind of a sad pathetic way that even true romantic would say "Jesus dude move the gently caress on"

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Who What Now posted:

Serene Dragon posted:

lmao if you really think Patrick didn't know exactly what his mother would do when handed a knife and that ultimatum.
He took a course of action of which he had reason to believe would result in his father's death—and it did. He killed his father.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Elephant Parade posted:

He took a course of action of which he had reason to believe would result in his father's death—and it did. He killed his father.

A man who kill he own father, a shameful comic

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Serene Dragon posted:

He still is not the one who stabbed him and thus is not technically the murderer, merely an accessory to murder.
:goonsay:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Who What Now posted:

He still is not the one who stabbed him and thus is not technically the murderer, merely an accessory to murder.

No, legally he's the murderer and his mother is innocent, I'm pretty sure.

Threats short of murder don't let you get off a murder charge, but the threat of being murdered yourself does.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Other way around. He's the murderer, she's merely the tool he used to do it. Much like when you hire a hitman.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
But but this is supposed to prove that mom is SUPER evil.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

Threats short of murder don't let you get off a murder charge, but the threat of being murdered yourself does.
I did not know that! How fascinating! SFP has really improved my life now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

clevin, but with a soft c

slevin

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Who What Now posted:

Other way around but also, I just realized.

He probably did it this way so he could frame his mom for the murder and then kill her in such a way that it looks like murder/suicide.

EDIT: Also notable is that gut wounds are an agonizing, drawn-out way to die. I don't really have faith the writer knew that or was even thinking that deeply about it but the explicit order to stab his dad in the stomach is a sadistic one, whereas slitting his throat would be quicker even if done improperly. It takes longer to bleed out from a gut wound and if you penetrate the intestines, your poo poo leaks out and into the wounds and makes it... I don't know if it's impossible to save your life these days if you're gotten to in time, but it means you'll be dealing with a lot of nasty infections, whereas if you're disemboweled without severing the intestines and the rest of your organs are kept intact you'll have a much greater chance of survival, since the intestines don't need to be packed in just so to function properly.

I hate that I know this btw.

EDIT EDIT: It might be moot since the mouth blood suggests the lung was punctured.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 14, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

PetraCore posted:

Other way around but also, I just realized.

He probably did it this way so he could frame his mom for the murder and then kill her in such a way that it looks like murder/suicide.

EDIT: Also notable is that gut wounds are an agonizing, drawn-out way to die. I don't really have faith the writer knew that or was even thinking that deeply about it but the explicit order to stab his dad in the stomach is a sadistic one, whereas slitting his throat would be quicker even if done improperly. It takes longer to bleed out from a gut wound and if you penetrate the intestines, your poo poo leaks out and into the wounds and makes it... I don't know if it's impossible to save your life these days if you're gotten to in time, but it means you'll be dealing with a lot of nasty infections, whereas if you're disemboweled without severing the intestines and the rest of your organs are kept intact you'll have a much greater chance of survival, since the intestines don't need to be packed in just so to function properly.

I hate that I know this btw.

EDIT EDIT: It might be moot since the mouth blood suggests the lung was punctured.

Hilarious that you think the artist thought any further than "getting stabbed means bloody mouth while you say your last words"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Piell posted:

Hilarious that you think the artist thought any further than "getting stabbed means bloody mouth while you say your last words"
I literally don't, though. I'm mad because human bodies aren't just made of plastic and specific injuries and symptoms do specific things but I doubt any consideration was given to that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It'd be pretty great if Patrick's dad some how survived this because his mom was poo poo at stabbing people

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Burkion posted:

It'd be pretty great if Patrick's dad some how survived this because his mom was poo poo at stabbing people
As we know, her preferred weapon is her bare hands.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
say what you will about its quality, i have been consistently enthralled for about two years now by this dumbass webcomic and i rush to every update because it just keeps miraculously getting stupider and stupider, so even though it's a total failure by any measurable metric, in a way it's also a success

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Well, I guess if you're going to fail, fail spectacularly.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

this broken hill posted:

say what you will about its quality, i have been consistently enthralled for about two years now by this dumbass webcomic and i rush to every update because it just keeps miraculously getting stupider and stupider, so even though it's a total failure by any measurable metric, in a way it's also a success

:same:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

chick straight up crushed a dog to death with her bare hands for putting a run in her stockings and tried to murder her kid for being a drain on resources, as with all things this comic disappoints by not having her stab her husband to death in exchange for a piece of tasty candy

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 15, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Axe-man posted:

Going to guess there is no point to this.

the end! no moral

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
the thread title is really old and outdated, can we get a new one? i'm thinking "strong female protagonist: hurrr" but am open to suggestions

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
"When you start to feel sick because no one has touched you in years, you can hire sex workers to come rub your back" is a bit too long, sadly

e: Reach Clevin by violence :black101:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Strong Female Protagonist: There's just something about this incredibly weak male lead...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rand Brittain posted:

What happens if you hire a hitman, who forces you to kill your wife yourself? Just asking for a friend.

I sort of want to read a murder mystery like that now. From the start, all evidence points to the husband, as he lies there with a bloody knife insisting that he was forced to do it. For the police it's an open and shut case. But the quirky private detective finds signs that the husbands lame excuse may indeed be correct. The police accepts this and lets the man go, while they search for the true criminal. In the end it turns out that he was a dumb actor, who only had the job to stand there with a gun and deliver his lines, for that weird movie production with the hidden cameras. The husband tries to to get away by plane and the detective is the only one who can stop him.

If the instigator would plan it a bit, the hitman wouldn't even have to be involved all that much.
"I was drugged and when I woke up, I wore this bomb belt. Some guy called me and described how I'd have to kill my wife or he'd blow me up. I bet my phone company saved that call! What are you saying, that bomb is fake?? Does that mean, I killed my wife for nothing?"

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 15, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SFP: imagine a hock of ham stabbing your large dad, forever

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Strong Female Protagonist: A loving awful webcomic that we can't look away from.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

One thing I don't get, if this is the memory of a telepath, why aren't we seeing his parents' thoughts?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Thanks to Fister Roboto for coming up with the original idea (panel 3), and Discendo Vox for suggesting the "hurr". You can blame me for the rest.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

One thing I don't get, if this is the memory of a telepath, why aren't we seeing his parents' thoughts?

Because this entire scene wouldn't really work, Patrick would know what he needed to do to get his parents to stop hating him, he would have known how to please them pretty much immediately when they first started to work. I've said before, humans (especially children) cooperate instinctively, it's our big thing we do. It's how children learn to speak, for example. If Patrick can read more deeply than surface thoughts, and we know he can based on the whole roofied kidnapped scientists thing, then his parents should hold no surprises for him at all, but there he is in that fourth panel with his eyes bugging out. I'd expect him to be feeling and showing some emotion but not surprise.

Also if his range is about the size of the continental US, gently caress why doesn't he just operate from the Eastern hemisphere or get them to move, he's filthy rich already at this point with the whole constructing giant robots and doing big time crimes thing. Hey parents, here's 50 million dollars, go live in Germany please, you'll like it there and I won't have to make you stab each other.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Flesh Forge posted:

If Patrick can read more deeply than surface thoughts, and we know he can based on the whole roofied kidnapped scientists thing, then his parents should hold no surprises for him at all, but there he is in that fourth panel with his eyes bugging out. I'd expect him to be feeling and showing some emotion but not surprise.

I'm not going to give Mulligan too much credit, but my read was that he's probably more pained than surprised. Being an always-on telepath would make violence particularly unpleasant.

It might be wishful thinking on my part.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

e: good grief at alison stroking her chin while simultaneously having a comforting arm round his shoulder.

I didn't even notice this at first, it's so perfect.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Thanks to Fister Roboto for coming up with the original idea (panel 3), and Discendo Vox for suggesting the "hurr". You can blame me for the rest.

:tipshat:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

• Locked thread