Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I thought generals still gave 1% professionalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

They do but the flipped the "cheap generals" thing to make it so you cant have unlimited free manpower

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Reman is precious and a gift we don't deserve. Siu King is really the only paradox youtuber we deserve because he's just as whiny and doofy as the general posters in any eu4 thread.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, Reman is just an enthusiast who knows his way around a spreadsheet: ain't no shame in that

I know his trade video was the best thing I watched on that, even though I don't remember half of it and it was great to see a breakdown of what military ideas worked like in praxis

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Reman thinks Innovative ideas are bad, so he can go suck an egg.

Or did that idea group get bad between the game's release and now? I don't pay close attention to the meta.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Reman owns, ddrjake owns, eu4 owns.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

dublish posted:

Or did that idea group get bad between the game's release and now? I don't pay close attention to the meta.

I like innovative ideas, if taken early. It's not the best group but it is a perfectly viable choice (and has some of the best policies). but I also dislike the administrative idea group so I am clearly a scrub...

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Had a really fun England game going Innovative/Economic/Trade/Quality/Offensive.

Going back and doing a standard like Admin/Diplo vassal feed thing felt a little boring. I don't think I really expand enough to warrant even taking Admin, like I set some little goals and then go like hey, good enough.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Taking on France early in an England game is not that tough. I surrendered Maine to them, made some good allies, and was able to crush them between myself, Castille, Aragon and Austria. You then just have to deal with the fact that it takes about six billion years to integrate them once they're in a personal union with them - you should definitely take some ideas to help with that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s no need to integrate them right away or anything close to it. Strong colonizers under personal union are more useful than annexing the territory yourself, especially when they have great ideas like France.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah, Reman is just an enthusiast who knows his way around a spreadsheet: ain't no shame in that

I know his trade video was the best thing I watched on that, even though I don't remember half of it and it was great to see a breakdown of what military ideas worked like in praxis

He knows how to do math though, that makes him 100% autistic.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

just a reminder that the ai won't take exploration ideas if they're a subject

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

just a reminder that the ai won't take exploration ideas if they're a subject

Yeah, you need to wait a bit. But the missions now push you to do that anyway.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

dublish posted:

I dunno if they're truly bad, you're just usually better off with Admin and 1 of Religious/Humanist

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I am Spain. My dumbfuck Colonial Nation, New Spain, allied with Xiu in Mexico. I want to conquer Xiu's provinces so I can give them to New Spain and build loving manufactories in them for Cocoa ++, but I can't, because my stupid goddamned dumb colonial nation is somehow allied with them. This is dumb and wrong. How I fix this?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 15, 2018

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

I am Spain. My dumbfuck Colonial Nation, New Spain, allied with Xiu in Mexico. I want to conquer Xiu's provinces so I can give them to New Spain and build loving manufactories in them for Cocoa ++, but I can't, because my stupid goddamned dumb colonial nation is somehow allied with them. This is dumb and wrong. How I fix this?

Will the colonials take a call to arms against their parent nation?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Cheen posted:

Will the colonials take a call to arms against their parent nation?

They can, and did!

The solution was to fabricate a bunch of claims on Xiu and give them to New Spain, that changed their tune pretty quick.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I admittedly havnt spent much time playing this but I just discovered the horror and joy that is random setup.

This looks like it will either be super easy or stupid hard.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

They can, and did!

The solution was to fabricate a bunch of claims on Xiu and give them to New Spain, that changed their tune pretty quick.

You can also just start a war with someone else and then declare on Xiu, since your CN shouldn't be able to declare because they are already in a war on your side.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

JerikTelorian posted:

the solution is clear. switch to playing as New Spain in the subject screen and then ensure New Spain is the only spain with the help of your mayan ally

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Update to My First Game Ever:

I've established the UK on the pillars of thousands of peasant lives. I've gone to war twice to force Scotland to stop being friends with France so I could eat it piecemeal, but now The Islands are secure, and my useless Fort Moneypits are disbanded.

I wanted to take over Iceland as a colony way station, but my spies tell me, "We can't fabricate a claim on some rando island in the loving Atlantic." I'd prefer to put them to death, but the game mechanics are stubborn.

I've figured out that I was supposed to invade Gibraltar back when it was Brown, but that ship has passed. I've stolen maps from the Bad Half of Spain (other half is chill af, even though they're the Bitch-Half of the union). I'm going to hope I can put down one single godforsaken port in the Caribbean so I can New England this bitch into the next century.

Game is the most autistic thing I've ever experienced, and the diplomatic tuning is the best I've ever seen.

10/10, will devote hundreds of hours of precious life to maximizing provinces.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I'm doing a Hungarian WC. I'm HRE and I've revoked. But non-HRE vassals have a huge liberty desire. Even an OPM versus my 3500 development has 150%.

Inspired by Reman's military academy video, and the diplomatic power of force limit, I instituted the Influence-Offensive policy (almost mandatory WC idea groups anyhow): +100% Vassal force limit contribution and -10% liberty desire in subjects.

What a difference that one made: All HRE vassals are now transferring trade power to me (+30% liberty desire), and only the largest nations I had to turn into marches.

I might be inspired to start putting down conscription centers everywhere, even I don't have the manpower to fill up all the armies.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That policy is normally hot garbage but I guess it owns if you revoke since every tiny poo poo vassal gives you an extra +1 FL.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

dublish posted:

Innovative is still a must in current meta for the 20% Infantry CA and the Siege Ability policies
e: (Multiplayer meta that is)

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Finally managed African Power, which was a lot tighter than it should have been. I cored the last egyptian provinces november 1820, where I had to disband an idea group to get enough MP.
This also involved three separate wars with the Ottomans where I ditched the truce limit.

I also had to fight France in 1802 for three small islands off Madagascar, which I hadn't realized counted as Africa before then.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What's the current thought on idea groups? For my Spain game I have taken Exploration, Quantity, Humanist, and Trade, but I feel like I missed my opportunity to take Administrative and Diplomatic, since i have done so much tech research already. Should I still go for those, or should I hold back?

I'm allied with France and Provence, and I've been expanding across the Mediterranean, more or less, gobbling up Italy, though I'm sorta competing with Provence there. For Colonial matters, I've been focusing on the Caribbean/Mexico/Gran Columbia. I'm somewhat limited in my Euro options because I'm allied with France and I also have a for-real traumatic fear response of them from almost every game of CK2/EU4 I have ever played, where they mop the floor with me in every war.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 16, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

those are all pretty good groups, spain probably benefits more from religious than humanist though

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

What's the current thought on idea groups? For my Spain game I have taken Exploration, Quantity, Humanist, and Trade, but I feel like I missed my opportunity to take Administrative and Diplomatic, since i have done so much tech research already. Should I still go for those, or should I hold back?

I'm allied with France and Provence, and I've been expanding across the Mediterranean, more or less, gobbling up Italy. For Colonial matters, I've been focusing on the Caribbean/Mexico/Gran Columbia. I'm somewhat limited in my Euro options because I'm allied with France and I also have a for-real traumatic fear response of them from almost every game of CK2/EU4 I have ever played, where they mop the floor with me in every war.

Trade isn’t a great group, especially if you’re a colonizer who can get extra merchants from trade companies and CNs. I would take diplo or influence over trade in almost any game. I guess the feeling is that a late idea group is not going to make or break you the way a first or second group can, but that does not change good groups into bad ones, it just means that they have less time to affect you for good or ill.

It’s reasonable to be scared of picking fights with France. With the aid of the Pyrenees a unified Spain can definitely beat them, but it requires a heavy commitment. There’s nothing wrong with playing nice with them and expanding by North Africa, Italy, and colonial game instead.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

oddium posted:

those are all pretty good groups, spain probably benefits more from religious than humanist though

spain's national ideas are sufficiently powerful that it doesn't really need the religious idea group for conversion purposes. Of course, there is still a great cb to be had but I don't think it's worth the investment.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

skasion posted:

Trade isn’t a great group, especially if you’re a colonizer who can get extra merchants from trade companies and CNs. I would take diplo or influence over trade in almost any game. I guess the feeling is that a late idea group is not going to make or break you the way a first or second group can, but that does not change good groups into bad ones, it just means that they have less time to affect you for good or ill.

It’s reasonable to be scared of picking fights with France. With the aid of the Pyrenees a unified Spain can definitely beat them, but it requires a heavy commitment. There’s nothing wrong with playing nice with them and expanding by North Africa, Italy, and colonial game instead.

Yeah, I started to regret trade once I noticed how I was picking up free merchants from my colonies. I maybe I'll trade it for diplo or influence.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

double nine posted:

spain's national ideas are sufficiently powerful that it doesn't really need the religious idea group for conversion purposes. Of course, there is still a great cb to be had but I don't think it's worth the investment.

it's never powerful enough for me. once you really start going ham and taking huge chunks of sunni land it makes me wish i could pay quadratic amounts of ducats to go over the missionary limit

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

95% of the reason for Admin ideas is for the cheaper coring. If you are planning on eating more of Europe its a must.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spectralent posted:

No, even vassaling them doesn't stop it. Even being of that religion as a state doesn't stop it, since you can still have christian/muslim provinces on the coast raided if they're heresy provinces.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah it's extremely cool how the only way to stop it is with one specific naval mission. Protecting trade won't stop it, hunting enemy fleets won't stop it, having ships in the port or an adjacent sea zone won't stop it, having the province in a fort zone of control won't stop it, having troops in the province won't stop it. It has to specifically be hunting pirates. And the mission only covers trade zones, not sea zones, so you can still get screwed if a province straddles two trade zones.

And of course there's no diplomatic option to tell the AI to knock it off.

...wow!

One more question.

If I was to run a native north american tribe, how doable is it and how boring is it?

Any decent guides out there?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mans posted:

...wow!

One more question.

If I was to run a native north american tribe, how doable is it and how boring is it?

Any decent guides out there?

Super doable, super boring. You pretty much have to wait for Europeans to show up to do anything of importance. Once they do, it's really simple to just declare on their colonial nations as soon as they form and take all their land, which is itself pretty dull/tedious.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Stressing that North American Indian is a REALLY boring start. Far and away the most boring in the game honestly. Mesoamerican is kind of fun because you have flower war thunderdome to fill time. Peru isn’t super exciting but at least you have a handful of minors around to chew through. North American minor is going to spend decades on speed five doing absolutely gently caress all.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

First game ever, started as England, now fully UK while maintaining my Continental holdings minus Maine, got colonies in Bermuda and Manhattan.

Got the pop up to become King Pope. I’ve done some wiki reading and read some threads, but I still can’t figure out if going Anglican is worth it vs becoming a dirty Protestant whore. I think my holdings are big enough to justify it, plus I’d like to try out converting the Native Heathens of the New World.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I dunno just go Anglican because no one else can? You'll have plenty games to go proddy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah it's definitely worth to check out and you can't really do it as many other countries since it's locked to the spawning in the British Isles.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Poil posted:

Yeah it's definitely worth to check out and you can't really do it as many other countries since it's locked to the spawning in the British Isles.

does that mean the irish can do it or is it just great britain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

does that mean the irish can do it or is it just great britain?

Anyone in the GB culture group (irish/scottish/welsh/etc) can get it, you have to have 10+ provinces to fire it though.