Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BrianBoitano posted:

Thoughts? I want to prep more than just slam-jammin momir casual because it's free and I have no other cards.

Never not Momir.

also it's the Dominaria Prerelease so no, you can't really play with the cards anywhere yet unless you do all the work yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mandatory lesbian posted:

the fact that the dude didnt even have the mountain on him leads me to believe the judge should have used some actual judgement and determined he'd been cheating for the past 7 rounds

basically. And if he was running at least one other copy of Stomping Ground and had played it, the entire game is completely tainted

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the missing wish from judgment

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

sit on my Facebook posted:

A "deck problem" violation, which is just a warning, has the additional remedy listed as

"Remove any incorrect cards from the deck, including any sideboard cards that could not yet legally have been added. Locate any cards missing from the deck and shuffle them into the randomized portion of the deck. If the missing card(s) are with the sideboard and it isn’t the first game, choose the ones to be shuffled into the deck at random from all sideboard cards. If the error is discovered during opening hands, instruct the player to mulligan. Otherwise, do not replace discovered erroneous cards in hands or other sets (such as a group of cards being scried
or drawn).
"

I would have appealed that for sure in that situation but it kinda reads like as long as he says "oh the listed deck is what I actually meant to play" then what happened is actually correct. Which.... seems like total bullshit right? To do it in the middle of the activation of a fetch that's crucial in that way, and then let him still resolve it seems crazy to me. Like, obviously he should have to fail to find right?

Is calling a judge a state based action? lol

I woulld read that rule such that what the judge did was wrong. At that exact point, none of his deck was randomized and the entire deck is a set of cards being considered.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Thoughts? I want to prep more than just slam-jammin momir casual because it's free and I have no other cards.

On Thursday Limited Resources will post their podcast with their evaluations for all the commons and uncommons if you have the time to listen to a three hour podcast.

Sealed events will actually be up MTGO Friday morning so maybe hop onto some streams and watch a few matches.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Sorry, mcmagic, that sucks

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tainen posted:

On Thursday Limited Resources will post their podcast with their evaluations for all the commons and uncommons if you have the time to listen to a three hour podcast.
If you don't want to bother, LSV's probably going to do a colour-by-colour review of the set for Channel Fireball again.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Tainen posted:

On Thursday Limited Resources will post their podcast with their evaluations for all the commons and uncommons if you have the time to listen to a three five hour podcast.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If you don't listen to set reviews at 1.3x I don't know what to tell you

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think the lesson to learn from mcmagic's unfortunate happening is to not be afraid to appeal to the head judge if you feel like something is wrong about a ruling. It is literally why the head judge is there. Just like people shouldn't be afraid to call a judge because they don't want to hurt the other players feelings, don't be afraid to appeal a ruling. I guarantee you won't hurt the judges feelings by doing so.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tainen posted:

Sealed events will actually be up MTGO Friday morning so maybe hop onto some streams and watch a few matches.

Thanks. MTG Degree already did a 13 minute youtube video, and I watched it once on 2x speed. Will probably watch again while I momir because I have a problem.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 15, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrBling posted:

I think the lesson to learn from mcmagic's unfortunate happening is to not be afraid to appeal to the head judge if you feel like something is wrong about a ruling. It is literally why the head judge is there. Just like people shouldn't be afraid to call a judge because they don't want to hurt the other players feelings, don't be afraid to appeal a ruling. I guarantee you won't hurt the judges feelings by doing so.

I did appeal, trust me, i don't give a poo poo about people's' feelings at Comp REL. He brought over a guy I know is an L3 and they agreed. It just makes no sense since the guy had been playing with that deck and fetching for 7 rounds. I should have asked if he had Ancient Grudge in the board but IDK if they would have told me anyway... The other question was, what if that card was like a snow covered mountain that he didn't have easy access to to run over and grab in 1 minute? Would the judge have made him a proxy? One of the things the judge told me was that if the Stomping Ground was actually IN PLAY that it would've been more likely he got a game loss but that doesn't make sense to me either...

mandatory lesbian posted:

the fact that the dude didnt even have the mountain on him leads me to believe the judge should have used some actual judgement and determined he'd been cheating for the past 7 rounds
I don't even think it matters if he was "cheating" or not. I've gotten game losses for writing down the wrong numbers of a card on a decklist before. That is what you expect to happen.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 15, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
On the one hand, the IPG is a mess and liberal interpretation could definitely include warning, game loss, or delaying the game loss until the next round. If a warning is given, replacing with a non-snow-covered non-waste basic land of the player's choice is actually the correct solution.

On the other hand, mcmagic getting karma'ed into the ground will never get old.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Toshimo posted:

On the one hand, the IPG is a mess and liberal interpretation could definitely include warning, game loss, or delaying the game loss until the next round. If a warning is given, replacing with a non-snow-covered non-waste basic land of the player's choice is actually the correct solution.

On the other hand, mcmagic getting karma'ed into the ground will never get old.

Getting karma'd for what? Disagreeing with you on an internet forum? You're a jackass.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't watch much Magic on Twitch but I think the two people they have on commentary right now are doing a very good job.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

fadam posted:

I don't watch much Magic on Twitch but I think the two people they have on commentary right now are doing a very good job.

Assuming it is Maria/Jacob, they've been putting in solid work all weekend.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Couldn't have broken this losing streak on a bigger rear end in a top hat opponent. No "hi", no "gl hf" when I extended him one, just "ugh" each time he conceded.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Listening them talk about the GW Hexproof mirror was a joke though - talking about how it is a great deck to get your friends into magic and how it is a difficult deck to pilot and master. Just be honest, you play the deck because it gets free wins.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dehtraen posted:

Listening them talk about the GW Hexproof mirror was a joke though - talking about how it is a great deck to get your friends into magic and how it is a difficult deck to pilot and master. Just be honest, you play the deck because it gets free wins.

Show us on the stuffy doll where the bogles touched you.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dehtraen posted:

It is a deck you want to play if you want to win creature battles that’s for drat sure.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

GW Hexproof

Is this really what they're calling bogles now because gently caress that poo poo

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Shortest Path posted:

Is this really what they're calling bogles now because gently caress that poo poo

No, they aren't. The man calling out Pro Tour Champion Jacob van Lunen and Emmy Award Winner Maria Bartholdi for wanting "free wins" calls it that. It still says Bogles on-screen.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Toshimo posted:

Show us on the stuffy doll where the bogles touched you.

It touched my wallet in the form of store credit from playing the deck and getting free wins :boom:

Sickening posted:

It is a deck you want to play if you want to win creature battles that’s for drat sure.

Exactly! It’s a great choice if that’s the expected metagame.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 15, 2018

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

sounds like you need to consider getting good, op

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

little munchkin posted:

sounds like you need to consider getting good, op

I thought people played Bogles specifically so they wouldn't have to do this.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dehtraen posted:

It touched my wallet in the form of store credit from playing the deck and getting free wins :boom:

Exactly! It’s a great choice if that’s the expected metagame.

This sounds like every good Modern deck

why do people play blood moon? or chalice? or bridge? or belcher?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Hi, I"m back with dumb noob questions.

What are those etch-a-sketch looking things everyone uses to keep score. I tried to googling but only found dumb drawing poo poo.

How do I beat Mono Black Discard Pirates/Torment of Scarabs? My aggro deck can't seem to get under it. Swap Naturalize in and Blossoming Defense out? Stop playing single games and only play matches?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

What are those etch-a-sketch looking things everyone uses to keep score. I tried to googling but only found dumb drawing poo poo.

They’re called boogie boards

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

How do I beat Mono Black Discard Pirates/Torment of Scarabs? My aggro deck can't seem to get under it. Swap Naturalize in and Blossoming Defense out? Stop playing single games and only play matches?

Yeah, that's pretty much the answer. Sometimes you get a bad matchup that would completely fold to sideboard hate.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Start playing Hollow One.
Politely thank the opponent for the free discard each turn.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I want to play Hollow One just because of Burning Inquiry.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Dehtraen posted:

They’re called boogie boards

Cool, thanks. That definitely looks like a better option than this, even though I've gotten a lot of compliments on it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cool, thanks. That definitely looks like a better option than this, even though I've gotten a lot of compliments on it.

Get used to using a pad of paper because having a historical record of life changes to account for discrepancies is important.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Once you get to a certain level (above FNM), you're required to keep track of life totals with pen and paper.

Or boogie boards, apparently.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Buffis posted:

Such a great picture showing the skillfulness of this cool cardgame for cool people.

... I need to find the time to go to a Modern LGS event with my Hollow One deck again soon :(

Huh. So that dude standing in the background on the right? That's Kyle, he plays at my LGS. loving weird thing to be the first thing I see in this thread today.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Boogie Boards are amazing. I've been using a small one and it fits in my pocket and is perfect. But I've been looking for one of those rainbow ones they market to kids as Magic Sketch or whatever because I'd love to record my rapidly dwindling life total in pretty colors. Maybe it'll make me less depressed as I'm losing!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

LifeLynx posted:

Boogie Boards are amazing. I've been using a small one and it fits in my pocket and is perfect. But I've been looking for one of those rainbow ones they market to kids as Magic Sketch or whatever because I'd love to record my rapidly dwindling life total in pretty colors. Maybe it'll make me less depressed as I'm losing!

I have a rainbow Boogie Board (mine was dying and it was the only kind they had at Sam's Club.) It's pretty cool but some parts, especially the dark blue, can be hard to see.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Its oracle text is

quote:

First strike

{1}{W}: Tap target creature blocking Master of Arms.

The same 21 years later.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Its oracle text is

The same 21 years later.

Yeah, but unlike Regenerate, that card no longer removes a creature from combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Stop playing single games and only play matches?

If you’re trying to improve, yeah. Single games are where I sling uninteractive decks that fold to specific hate.

I think there’s a player by the name mvs1000 that plays eggs in single games lol