Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Plan is to make my second one another conversion based on this:

Since I've got a couple of the cherubs from marine librarian kit and a few servo skulls kicking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Artum posted:

Plan is to make my second one another conversion based on this:

Since I've got a couple of the cherubs from marine librarian kit and a few servo skulls kicking about.

Nightmare fuel robo-spider Celestine

Edit: Can’t wait :allears:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Cannibalised the power coils for the eradication beamer and pinned it to his back and put the capacitors on his left shoulder, I think I can call that done.

God its so refreshing to build an army where theres no way things are supposed to be. I can just techno-greeble the poo poo out of things as much as I want.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Artum posted:

Cannibalised the power coils for the eradication beamer and pinned it to his back and put the capacitors on his left shoulder, I think I can call that done.

God its so refreshing to build an army where theres no way things are supposed to be. I can just techno-greeble the poo poo out of things as much as I want.

Had concerns with the first picture, but you’ve really done this up right. Awesome job!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

The absolute minimum for me is gonna be 3 since I'm still to buy at least one more start collecting, possibly 2 for that sweet 3 neutron crab action.

Yeah, given that the Start Collecting is £50 and the Dunecrawler by itself is £40, and you always need more Skitarii just to get their special weapons which are like hen's teeth, you end up with a lot of TPDs basically incidentally. I own 3 and will get at least 2 more since I'll probably pick up another Start Collecting for an Onager and another Forgebane for the Necron stuff.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

Yeah, given that the Start Collecting is £50 and the Dunecrawler by itself is £40, and you always need more Skitarii just to get their special weapons which are like hen's teeth, you end up with a lot of TPDs basically incidentally. I own 3 and will get at least 2 more since I'll probably pick up another Start Collecting for an Onager and another Forgebane for the Necron stuff.

It's ridiculous that you only get one plasma caliver with a unit. I wish ForgeWorld made a nice plasma kit for them. Paying $10 each for a single plasma sucks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, I've got three Dominus without even trying. Forgebane should really have used an Enginseer.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have five Domini. My current list used 3 & Cawl.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

EvilBeard posted:

It's ridiculous that you only get one plasma caliver with a unit. I wish ForgeWorld made a nice plasma kit for them. Paying $10 each for a single plasma sucks.

Yeah. The single special per 10 for a unit that can take 3 of the loving things is pretty ridiculous. 2 would have been annoying but basically manageable, but 1 per box is tiresome.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Played a 1k point causal tournament yesterday as admech. Basically tabled all 3 opponents but lost the first match on points since he hid his last squad in a corner.

List was
Tech priest
Enginseer
Datasmith
10x Vanguard with plasma
10x Vanguard
3 destroyers with grav
2 robots with phosphorus
1 crawler with neutron

It was a lot of shooting. The robots definitely pulled their weight. 36 shoots with -2ap just removed squads from the table. The destroyers were good against jet bikes but I think I would rather have plasma. Lastly the Vanguard make very good meat shields.

Enginseers also seem a lot better than the tech priest. With all the free reroll 1s or add 1 bonuses the tech priest bubble doesn't get much use at the cost of an extra 80 points.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah I was thinking when I got mine to buy 3 squads and have a vanguard with 3 plasma, ranger with 3 arc rifle, 5 ranger with 2 arquebus. It's pretty annoying.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

the moose posted:

Played a 1k point causal tournament yesterday as admech. Basically tabled all 3 opponents but lost the first match on points since he hid his last squad in a corner.

List was
Tech priest
Enginseer
Datasmith
10x Vanguard with plasma
10x Vanguard
3 destroyers with grav
2 robots with phosphorus
1 crawler with neutron

It was a lot of shooting. The robots definitely pulled their weight. 36 shoots with -2ap just removed squads from the table. The destroyers were good against jet bikes but I think I would rather have plasma. Lastly the Vanguard make very good meat shields.

Enginseers also seem a lot better than the tech priest. With all the free reroll 1s or add 1 bonuses the tech priest bubble doesn't get much use at the cost of an extra 80 points.

Problem is you can only get reroll 1s for admech once per game outside of dominii unless you're paying 2cp for it, and you really need those CP for doctrina imperatives more.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Supporting the hobby is well and good, but you should really look into thermoplastic (becomes soft when hot, hardens when cool, reusable) for transparently shite stuff like that.

Iirc in the otherwise great GSC codex there was a case where the best weapon option for some units (crushing claws?) Was available from one specific, expensive model.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 15, 2018

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
What’s the generally accepted best loadout for a Dominus? If built my first with a ray and macrostubber when it was first released in 7th, but I’m curious what the consensus is.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
There's no requirement that the <ORDO> of your acolytes matches that of an Inquisitor, right? If I want to run Eisenhorn with Malleus or Hereticus alcols that's kosher right?

Also, what's a good source for an old-Gregor head? The Artel W guy tells me he won't be making any more of them (and really I do see why: those models were similar-enough to the painting to make even the :ussr: Intellectual Property guys go "You know..." but still :().

You'd think "Old, ballsack-looking-head shouting" wouldn't exactly be a difficult head to find, our demographics being what they are, but other than marine-sized heads all I can really think of is the Volkmar the Grim head?

E: The flagellants have a bunch that would be perfect. :doh:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Volkite if he’s hanging around the backlines, Ray if he’s up front with the Vanguard. Never give him the Macrostubber, stops him firing the big gun.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Screee!

Very pleased with how these came out again but bloody hell these took a long time to do. Edge highlighting all the claws takes forever.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Schadenboner posted:

There's no requirement that the <ORDO> of your acolytes matches that of an Inquisitor, right? If I want to run Eisenhorn with Malleus or Hereticus alcols that's kosher right?

Also, what's a good source for an old-Gregor head? The Artel W guy tells me he won't be making any more of them (and really I do see why: those models were similar-enough to the painting to make even the :ussr: Intellectual Property guys go "You know..." but still :().

You'd think "Old, ballsack-looking-head shouting" wouldn't exactly be a difficult head to find, our demographics being what they are, but other than marine-sized heads all I can really think of is the Volkmar the Grim head?

E: The flagellants have a bunch that would be perfect. :doh:

The acolytes need to be the same <ORDO> to use their bodyguard rule.

Likewise some inquisitorial abilities (namely Coteaz is who I am thinking of) target <ORDO> units

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

One_Wing posted:

Screee!

Very pleased with how these came out again but bloody hell these took a long time to do. Edge highlighting all the claws takes forever.

Good looking janitor-bots!

Now enjoy transporting those. They're a bit of a pain in the rear end in that regard.
But they're adorable and have preformed amazingly for me, so I can't be too mad.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I'd just like to announce my intention to flay and exsanguinate whoever designed the skitarii sprues such that everything flimsy very nearly breaks as you're clipping it out.

You are warned.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, the gates on the rad sensors are inexcusable.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Don't use clippers. Lay the sprue down on whatever side allows the part to be closest to your cutting surface and cut the gate with a scalpel.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
The Ordo Esotericus Dägoneth has acquired an engine of vengeance--we turn it upon the oppressors to welcome the Star Mothers! :cthulhu:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TTerrible posted:

Don't use clippers. Lay the sprue down on whatever side allows the part to be closest to your cutting surface and cut the gate with a scalpel.

I shall try this.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

The Ordo Esotericus Dägoneth has acquired an engine of vengeance--we turn it upon the oppressors to welcome the Star Mothers! :cthulhu:

This is incredibly rad

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Artum posted:

I shall try this.

I've not assembled the kit you're having issues with but this is the method I use to remove the tiny sets of sensor spines for Dropfleet ships. The gate attached to the base is fine but those ones on individual spines are a nightmare:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
What kind of clippers do you guys use? Maybe they aren't as reliable with GW plastic, but God Hand nippers are insanely good for clean cuts.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I know I'm super late to the party on this complaint but I absolutely can't stand the way they have drawn up power level versus points cost on these new books.

I started drafting a list 12 kind of wrapping up painting the old models that I had and it's completely unclear in what situation equipment comes with model in which one you have to purchase. It really does feel like they were pushing Power Level just by making points obtuse.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

What kind of clippers do you guys use? Maybe they aren't as reliable with GW plastic, but God Hand nippers are insanely good for clean cuts.

Yeah but those cost $55 and won't change the issue he's having, which is that the clippers spread the plastic apart, causing the tiny piece to bend/snap.

Eifert Posting posted:

I know I'm super late to the party on this complaint but I absolutely can't stand the way they have drawn up power level versus points cost on these new books.

I started drafting a list 12 kind of wrapping up painting the old models that I had and it's completely unclear in what situation equipment comes with model in which one you have to purchase. It really does feel like they were pushing Power Level just by making points obtuse.

Can you give an example of what you're struggling to figure out, because although having the tables in the back rather than everything being on each unit entry means more page flipping, I didn't find that I had any questions about what I needed to pay for and what I didn't. Other than named characters (who are on their own table in the back that states their cost includes wargear) points costs are provided for a naked model only, and all weapons you give them have to be paid for. Some of these weapons have a cost of 0, but every piece of gear gets paid for.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Neurolimal posted:

At £37 they'd loving better be that good.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Awesome. Love the scratched-out aquilas.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Have you taken an army shot for your dudes yet? I'd love to see one.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Another tip is make sure you use really good clippers. I got tired of my clippers butchering stuff and wanted to be able to do conversions more easily.

I settled on these:
Xuron - 2175ET Professional Sprue Cutter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TMZ7QA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_PI60Ab44GD2G2

They make a really flush cut. It's worth the $20. I use my old 'sprue cutters' for clipping less important stuff(chopping sprue frames apart, etc) so it's not dulling my nice ones for no reason.

Edit: It does in fact help with that problem. The better the clippers, the better it cuts instead of squishing the plastic. I clip all kinds of little fiddly stuff with zero issue now.

Salynne fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 15, 2018

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Can you give an example of what you're struggling to figure out, because although having the tables in the back rather than everything being on each unit entry means more page flipping, I didn't find that I had any questions about what I needed to pay for and what I didn't. Other than named characters (who are on their own table in the back that states their cost includes wargear) points costs are provided for a naked model only, and all weapons you give them have to be paid for. Some of these weapons have a cost of 0, but every piece of gear gets paid for.

Items like standards, iron halos, etc. It's also unclear if units can pick any wargear or only items listed in the power level section.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Put together my first ever army. I finished the second dragoon. I'm picking up a second Start Collecting for the Dunecrawler, but it's a decent start. I've learned a lot about painting. I feel like I'm getting better with every model. I want to dry brush the Dunecrawler and the Dragoons to make them look sandy and weathered.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

Items like standards, iron halos, etc. It's also unclear if units can pick any wargear or only items listed in the power level section.

None of those are actually items, they're simply abilities. As such they have no points cost. The unit entry (what you're calling the power level section) is what determines what a unit can be equipped with.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

General Olloth posted:

Edit: It does in fact help with that problem. The better the clippers, the better it cuts instead of squishing the plastic. I clip all kinds of little fiddly stuff with zero issue now.

Yeah, it sounds like a part of the issue is the force of the cut flinging half the part with enough force to bend/break the part? That's a result of dull nippers pinching the plastic and then struggling to snap it off (seen in the picture of the sprue pieces by the plastic turning white due to stress). Xuron/godhand/pro nippers stress the plastic less, have thinner blades, and overall just cut through plastic like butter.

They're pretty expensive, but for the cost of a jetbike you'll have easier/faster cleanup and less issues removing from the sprue.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

None of those are actually items, they're simply abilities. As such they have no points cost. The unit entry (what you're calling the power level section) is what determines what a unit can be equipped with.

It's poor form to interrupt an old man while he bitches about things changing. :bahgawd:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

It's poor form to interrupt an old man while he bitches about things changing. :bahgawd:

I mean I'd love to have things like iron halos be something you can give a character. The old codexes were great in the granularity of upgrades you could give people, particularly non-weapon upgrades. But I'll trade that for having the tables in the back so gw can actually update points values to balance things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

To be fair, the current layout loving blows.

Booley posted:

I mean I'd love to have things like iron halos be something you can give a character. The old codexes were great in the granularity of upgrades you could give people, particularly non-weapon upgrades. But I'll trade that for having the tables in the back so gw can actually update points values to balance things.
They were always capable of updating points values, they just never did. :ssh: