Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Expect My Mom posted:

This is the one D.Va skin I'll never buy, this is propaganda

But her sirens flash when she dashes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Quick play is worse. People are just as unpleasant, just now they're not even trying.

The real answer of course is don't play Overwatch.
This is bonkers to me

I just turn off voice chat, listen to music and get stoned between rounds it couldn't be more chill

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

QP is always chill to me unless you are the dude who is raging over quick play. I keep all team chat muted though sooooo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I quit playing Overwatch around the time they buffed Hanzo, took away the buff because everyone hated it, and then gave him that same buff again. That told me that Blizzard was never going to know what the gently caress they were doing with the game on a competitive level.

I'll stick to playing my *checks last played game* .....7 year old RTS game :sigh:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel bad because I was easily on track to beat Nioh before GoW came out and now that might not happen because I just keep playing the Overwatch PVE thing because it's really fun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have never had an unpleasant experience in Quick Play (with voice muted)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Internet Kraken posted:

I'll stick to playing my *checks last played game* .....7 year old RTS game :sigh:
Lmao, 7 year old, look at this casual neophyte. AMA about still playing Total Annhilation. :smug:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

Lmao, 7 year old, look at this casual neophyte. AMA about still playing Total Annhilation. :smug:

Hey I'm still playing Red Alert

current events have made it seem a little too realistic and grounded for my taste

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Turning off in-game communications and only chatting with friends when playing competitive stuff is the universal miracle solution to enjoying those games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll probably never play overwatch cause it's $40 and i'd rather spend the money on cheaper games but my opinion is d.va's pretty cute

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

I feel bad because I was easily on track to beat Nioh before GoW came out and now that might not happen because I just keep playing the Overwatch PVE thing because it's really fun

It's still odd to me that they only keep the pve things around for a short while when clearly they hold some appeal for people who don't care for the competitive mode.

Well I guess not that odd since they're tied to limited time only buy loot boxes now because we jacked up their coin prices.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Uggggh. These <area> king battles for 10%. I shouldn't have to reload, get back to the place, fight a battle and go through an unskippable cutscene to try again :mad:

The minigame battles? You really don't need to win those.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Jeff Kaplan said recently that the reason why they keep the PvE modes time-limited is because there's only a couple of them and if they were available all the time players would probably begin to see them as pretty shallow, which they are. They're good for a few hours of amusement but you'd need a more dedicated team and probably a full-blown expansion to make a PvE Overwatch campaign more than an occasional curiosity.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dr Cheeto posted:

They're not obligatory, but not winning the last one will make things really boring.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Who needs another time limited PVE competitive shooter spin off when Salmon Run is already there eating up my time every 2 days.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Colonel posted:

i'll probably never play overwatch cause it's $40 and i'd rather spend the money on cheaper games but my opinion is d.va's pretty cute
:yeah:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

You forgot this one, but so did everyone else, so it's okay.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's interesting to think of this historical era in the 2000s where open voice chat was the norm and you were expected to talk with random people as part of the multiplayer experience, and now things tend to be completely siloed off and most people do not talk to anyone they don't already know -- at least that's how a lot of games critics and podcasters talk about this stuff. I wonder how much of that was bound up in game design decisions back then and/or just the age and lifestyle of the players

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The reason I still get into a COD every few years is bc people still use open mics and it's fun to gently caress around with randos. Also some of VR's most popular uses are glorified chat rooms. People still like the concept and use it frequently

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think everyone collectively realized that listening to a grown adult become audibly upset over voice chat because his little man kept dying was the most pathetic thing in the universe and sought to minimize all encounters with that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

You forgot this one, but so did everyone else, so it's okay.

drat that's even better (I saw as someone who used to love VF and has still only played on Yakuza game)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm old and miss just using text chat in games.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dr Cheeto posted:

You don't have to, but winning the later ones saves you a ton of time in what is already a huge, barely-interactive grind. Thankfully the only realllly hard one is the video game guy (2nd?).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my opinion of FPSes is there should be a doom 2016 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Doom((2016(2)) is a lock for E3 this year.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's interesting to think of this historical era in the 2000s where open voice chat was the norm and you were expected to talk with random people as part of the multiplayer experience, and now things tend to be completely siloed off and most people do not talk to anyone they don't already know -- at least that's how a lot of games critics and podcasters talk about this stuff. I wonder how much of that was bound up in game design decisions back then and/or just the age and lifestyle of the players

Playing a team game without voice chat is mind-bogglingly dumb if you actually want to win, but broadly speaking the appeal of team games isn't playing as a team, it's having someone else to blame when you lose.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Playing a team game without voice chat is mind-bogglingly dumb if you actually want to win, but broadly speaking the appeal of team games isn't playing as a team, it's having someone else to blame when you lose.

If you talk to people anything like how you post, then I don't want to listen.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I would rather lose in silence than win while listening to randos on the internet

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

my opinion of FPSes is there should be a doom 2016 2

I would have put Titanfall 3 in there instead, but that finger on the monkey's paw has already curled.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The best FPS of E3 will be an 8 second trailer of samus sitting in her spaceship

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

If you talk to people anything like how you post, then I don't want to listen.

I offer no hot takes, only cold hard truths.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Universal voice chat seemed like a natural evolution of universal text chat, but it turned out that voice was so different from text functionally and socially that it was a net step backwards. I can't remember the last time I heard the voice of someone I didn't explicitly permit to talk to me and that's how it should be.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Playing a team game with people you don't know is already mind-bogglingly dumb if you actually want to win, you don't need to have them screaming at you on top of that.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 15, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
normal brain: losing in silence
big brain: losing and being screamed at by person on the internet
galaxy brain:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

haveblue posted:

Playing a team game with people you don't know is already mind-bogglingly dumb if you actually want to win, you don't need to have them screaming at you on top of that.

I've had some really good experiences with randoms on voice chat, just not often enough. The biggest thing is setting a good tone right at the start, because if people start out liking each other it's much easier to forgive each other for mistakes later.

There are also structural things developers can do to make this better or worse. DotA for example is like some kind of warped social experiment in creating an environment designed to make people hate each other.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Videogames on the whole would be a lot more enjoyable if people didn't view losing as some sort of world-shattering disaster and just could be chill about it.

Dota 2 is a really fun game that is completely ruined by the community being insanely toxic.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Videogames on the whole would be a lot more enjoyable if people didn't view losing as some sort of world-shattering disaster and just could be chill about it.

Dota 2 is a really fun game that is completely ruined by the community being insanely toxic.

I think the problem there is that games that are not fun when you're losing whether due to systematic design problems or just really poor matchmaking will greatly exacerbate the problem. Getting nothing from a loss in terms of progression that every game must have now also doesn't help.

I'd point to titanfall 2 as a game that does a decent job on that front since just doing stuff in it is fun enough that you can still enjoy a losing game, and some of the bigger game modes having a pve component lets you still feel like you're making some contribution and progress. Actually winning was also a relatively small part of the end game credit rewards, like typically ~20% as I recall.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 15, 2018

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I don't really care if I lose, because most of the time I end up having fun with the friends who are in the same game. I'll gladly sacrifice some higher probability of winning for being able to play without getting crap from gamer boys, which could as well deter me from playing in the first place if it were unavoidable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dota's toxic community comes in large part from a history of deliberate gameplay decisions that cause losing to be a prolonged, painful affair and blame easy to assign to individual teammates instead of the group. It's not some unfortunate coincidence, the toxicity is baked directly into the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

chumbler posted:

I think the problem there is that games that are not fun when you're losing whether due to systematic design problems or just really poor matchmaking will greatly exacerbate the problem.

I've had plenty of fun with Dota when I lose because its a game of skill and there are tons of things I could be improving to do better. I'd rather win, but I don't mind losing if I learn something from it. Especially if its a really close match.

What's not fun is losing because 5 minutes into the match your Invoker gets pissed off and goes "I feed" and decides to kill himself over and over. Cause at that point your game is doomed and you have to wait 30+ minutes for the inevitable. That's not the game's fault, that is just people being insufferable. And I don't think there is anyway to actually solve that problem short of always playing in a 5 man stack. Which is why I ultimately quit Dota despite enjoying it a lot.

exquisite tea posted:

Dota's toxic community comes in large part from a history of deliberate gameplay decisions that cause losing to be a prolonged, painful affair and blame easy to assign to individual teammates instead of the group. It's not some unfortunate coincidence, the toxicity is baked directly into the game.

No. Losing takes long because its not a game you're supposed to give up on in the first 5 minutes. If you actually try then its perfectly possible to comeback from a deficit. The game is only decided in the first 5 minutes when people on your team are idiots that give up and start feeding.

Its not like Dota is the only game where toxic communities exist. Its just a game where matches are designed to take over 30 minutes so you have to stew with these people for a long time. Overwatch is just as pathetically toxic but matches there are what, 10 minutes tops?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Splatoon 2 is a game where I can handle losing, even though it happens frequently, because matches are only 3 minutes long. You're also rewarded even for loses and the difference between a win and loss is barely there. Overwatch is also a good example of this. I've had losses where I got more experience points then I did for a win. Whether you lose or win in that game doesn't matter in the slightest.

• Locked thread