Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

PTizzle posted:

Which one, out of interest? I'm curious to check his latest stuff out eventually.

Knight of Cups didn't do much for me, but Song to Song was a good bounce back.

I think To The Wonder isn't well-liked but I actually enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I haven't seen Song to Song, but Knight of Cups is the only Malick that I didn't get anything out of.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Did they ever release those Director’s Series DVDs on Blu-ray (the ones where each volume was dedicated to a particular director’s music videos)? I had the Jonze and Gondry ones back in the day, I think there was an Anton Corbijn one too?

These DVDs are amazing, I wish I’d picked up more than just the Spike Jonze one. You used to be able to rent them on Netflix, not sure if they’re still on there.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Was there ever a story on why Bill Cosby made such terrible movies in the 80s? Leonard, Part 6 and Ghost Dad? You would think with the popularity of the Cosby Show he would have been able to get some better gigs.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Cosby has a pretty long history of questionable taste and poor decisions even putting aside the monstrous stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGYeDakoK1Q

morestuff fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 13, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Mother Juggs and Speed was really something.

I bet you didn't know driving an ambulance in the 70s was a lot like being a cowboy on a wagon train or something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SimonCat posted:

Was there ever a story on why Bill Cosby made such terrible movies in the 80s? Leonard, Part 6 and Ghost Dad? You would think with the popularity of the Cosby Show he would have been able to get some better gigs.

Eddie Murphy turned down Star Trek 4 to do The Golden Child.

Everyone did weird poo poo in the '80s.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Timby posted:

What was he up for in Star Trek 4?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Billy the Mountain posted:

What was he up for in Star Trek 4?

I'm pretty sure it was the marine biologist role. It was rewritten as a love interest when Eddie Murphy turned it down.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

It's not too crazy. He turned down a supporting role for top billing. In the end he probably made more money and it'd take a least a half dozen more stinkers until he finally reached that pinnacle of Hollywood that is voice acting.

The man looks about 20 years younger than he is so he just needs to make a lot of sequels to stuff people like.

<checks IMDB page>

Yep, Beverly Hills Cop 4. That'll do it. Maybe put in a subplot about Black men getting shot by police.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the marine biologist role. It was rewritten as a love interest when Eddie Murphy turned it down.

Correct. Steve Meerson and Peter Krikes did two drafts of the script (both of which were unfilmable because of how terrible they were), and then they were jettisoned around the same time that Murphy left. However, due to WGA scamboogery, they share screenplay credit with Harve Bennett and Nick Meyer.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

SimonCat posted:

Most people don't set out to make a bad movie, and it's nearly impossible to know how a movie will turn out when you decide to take the job.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SimonCat posted:

It's important to remember than in a lot of ways The Cosby Show was a step back for him. He had already had a decently successful sitcom, and a lot of the 70s was him trying to become a movie star. He even stared in his own Western.

Leonard Part 6 was, believe it or not, him throwing his clout around to get a movie made his way.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's important to remember than in a lot of ways The Cosby Show was a step back for him. He had already had a decently successful sitcom, and a lot of the 70s was him trying to become a movie star. He even stared in his own Western.

Leonard Part 6 was, believe it or not, him throwing his clout around to get a movie made his way.

Hmm. Interesting. I suppose like a lot of people my age they are really only familiar with Cosby from The Cosby Show and "Bill Cosby:Himself." I forget about his earlier output which seems like it was pretty well forgotten by the 80s.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cosby was a cultural icon and his biggest crime is that now a massive chunk of Black mainstream work is tainted. He was either the first or the best at so many things he tried.

Just for a child's perspective you had Fat Albert and Picture Pages. Cosby wasn't on the same planet as Mr. Rogers, but he was in the same solar system.

As for Leonard Part 6, Cosby's shtick was goofy humor which can easily be stupid and not in a good way. That's why Leslie Nielsen is a comic genius and even his stuff stunk about half the time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Cosby was a cultural icon and his biggest crime is that now a massive chunk of Black mainstream work is tainted. He was either the first or the best at so many things he tried.

Personally I think the biggest crime is all the rape.

But I see your point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Richard Pryor was funnier.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
This exchange is still gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZlQaE4GDUY

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Richard Pryor was funnier.

It was weird hearing Norm MacDonald and Jim Carrey discussing him as if he were literally the funniest man ever when I was mostly familiar with him from the movies he did with Gene Wilder, a little of his stand-up, "dead honky" and his role in Lost Highway after he self-immolated. But Cosby, idk when he was really funny. Grew up on his sitcom but in the 80s there was no comedy in sitcoms. None. Didn't exist. Strange days.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It might be an unfair statement about Cosby's comedy because I've never listened/seen his stand-up and given what we now know I don't think I ever will, but I'm also not that concerned if I'm being unfair to Cosby's comedic talents, given what we now know.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

It might be an unfair statement about Cosby's comedy because I've never listened/seen his stand-up and given what we now know I don't think I ever will, but I'm also not that concerned if I'm being unfair to Cosby's comedic talents, given what we now know.

His stand-up was great. Kind of the polar opposite of someone like Murphy or Pryor.

Granted, John Wayne Gacy may have been the best clown ever. It wouldn't make watching him now any easier.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cosby was a genius standup comedian, Pryor started his career as a fake Bill Cosby.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bill Cosby: Himself is legit one of the all-time top 5 standup routines. Absolutely sucks that it's forever tainted because he's a horrific human being.

Last time I watched it was in 2008 before everything came out with my Dutch gf who, like many in this thread, only knew of him from The Cosby Show. She was in hysterics, crying from laughing at the dentist bit and the chocolate cake bit.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

edit: posted in the wrong drat thread

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 17, 2018

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

regulargonzalez posted:

Bill Cosby: Himself is legit one of the all-time top 5 standup routines. Absolutely sucks that it's forever tainted because he's a horrific human being.

Last time I watched it was in 2008 before everything came out with my Dutch gf who, like many in this thread, only knew of him from The Cosby Show. She was in hysterics, crying from laughing at the dentist bit and the chocolate cake bit.

Yep, you'd be hard pressed to beat the description of his wife's conniption fit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Guys, maybe Cosby will cure cancer or solve the Syrian civil war before he dies and we can call it a wash.

Until then I just hope there’s nothing nasty lurking is John Mulaney’s past.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Guys, maybe Cosby will cure cancer or solve the Syrian civil war before he dies and we can call it a wash.

While a funny story, if it's true his Tom Jones joke should probably qualify as a war crime and get him brought up in The Hague.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

While a funny story, if it's true his Tom Jones joke should probably qualify as a war crime and get him brought up in The Hague.

It’s not unusual to feel that way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s not unusual to feel that way.

It was What's New Pussycat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Krispy Wafer posted:

Unrelated, but my ticket to go see him has a drinks voucher attached and I can’t wait to sip on a Tunatini.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I mean, he was a severe alcohol and drug addict for a large chunk of his life. He's not exactly the safest bet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, he was a severe alcohol and drug addict for a large chunk of his life. He's not exactly the safest bet.

He did talk about smoking cocaine before his high school graduation and he looks like he has fetal alcohol syndrome so maybe he's got everything out of his system early.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

He quit drinking in his mid twenties because he would get black out drunk too often. That probably makes him the least likely to be a rapist. Doesn't have his poo poo together enough to drug someone, and if he did decide to violently assault a passed out girl he couldn't do much to her.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Cosby was a genius standup comedian, Pryor started his career as a fake Bill Cosby.

Pryor actually started his career in that weird hippy panic movie about a teenager becoming president and making old people take LSD

Cool movie, the crazy doesnt happen til near the end

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bill Cosby Talks To Kids About Drugs is one of the finest things ever pressed to vinyl

Cosby: "What happens if you take LSD?"
Child: "You kill people!"
Cosby: "What else might happen?"
Child: "You kill yourself!"

He then explains that drug users are all so addicted to drugs that they will smoke bananas if they run out of drugs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

got any sevens posted:

Pryor actually started his career in that weird hippy panic movie about a teenager becoming president and making old people take LSD

Cool movie, the crazy doesnt happen til near the end

Nah, he'd been a standup for a while before that, he'd even made it to the Ed Sullivan show in 66. Same year as Wild In The Streets was his first record, which still has some of the Cosbyized stuff he'd been doing but even that early he's well on his way to the legendary Craps (After Hours) and the dozen or so records he did with Laff Records.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I was watching Blood and Black Lace the other night and realized I almost never can follow (or give a poo poo about) the plots or stories of giallo movies. Is that common?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I was watching Blood and Black Lace the other night and realized I almost never can follow (or give a poo poo about) the plots or stories of giallo movies. Is that common?

Almost universal

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I think I learned to just roll with it when I first saw Deep Red, which has the main character completely forget the guy who dies being apprehended as the killer in a murder he witnessed (from ground level, happening on like the fourth floor of a building) was with him when the murder was committed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Power of Pecota posted:

I think I learned to just roll with it when I first saw Deep Red, which has the main character completely forget the guy who dies being apprehended as the killer in a murder he witnessed (from ground level, happening on like the fourth floor of a building) was with him when the murder was committed

He remembers that Carlo was with him after he is killed. Carlo isn't actually arrested. If he had been, Marcus probably would have remembered before too long that they were together and told police. I think it's reasonable for his lapse in memory considering all the crazy poo poo he goes through in the interim and also Carlo's actions when confronted before his death, which included some pretty erratic behavior and shooting at a cop.