Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I’m a bit late on this but man I walked into a bank and they tried to sell me a home loan.

I’m loving livid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-15/is-environmentalism-only-for-the-wealthy/9653306

ipa vs greenpeace

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Surely the IPA knows full well that those bitching about green energy can simply find better jobs.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/rogue-development-re-opening-of-a-sydney-landmark-divides-community-20180413-p4z9in.html

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

March the lot of them into the sea.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

What would the IPA know about the working poor?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
It must be nice to get your pet concerns given prominent articles in major newspapers, I wonder if I can get The Age to write one about the blocked drain near dads place

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/airbnb-is-gutting-our-community-says-mayor-of-holiday-hotspot-byron-bay-20180409-p4z8j5.html

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Where is your free market god now?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hiddenmovement posted:

It must be nice to get your pet concerns given prominent articles in major newspapers, I wonder if I can get The Age to write one about the blocked drain near dads place

Yes but only if the newspaper photographer can get you posing in front of your private yacht.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

DancingShade posted:

Yes but only if the newspaper photographer can get you posing in front of your private yacht.

The bloke next door has an old canoe?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

DancingShade posted:

It's pretty easy to lie to a newspaper photographer/journalist. Just go down to the marina and claim a yacht as your own. Say you can't go on it right now because it's being fumigated after a poor person stowed aboard.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Konomex posted:

It's pretty easy to lie to a newspaper photographer/journalist.

You'd think so but they can utilize their scent organ to detect pheromones in the air indicating truth/lie snob/povo etc

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

bell jar posted:

You'd think so but they can utilize their scent organ to detect pheromones in the air indicating truth/lie snob/povo etc

Just go down to the local David Jones before hand and roll around in the perfume section, followed by the men's suit section. That'll sufficiently mask your povo scent. I assume. On all tests of social class I consistently score in the upper class, I'm just waiting on my pile of money (which it is rude to discuss) to appear in my entrance galley.

Can't you just borrow a mates giant yacht?

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

lol they let a company buy the land and in less than a decade the council is trying to forcibly reacquire it? what a loving joke, surely the state government wont let them do that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gucci bane posted:

lol they let a company buy the land and in less than a decade the council is trying to forcibly reacquire it? what a loving joke, surely the state government wont let them do that.

It's probably so they can then sell it off again to someone else's mate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The last civil exchange I had with Joe Hockey on Twitter was about soft drinks.

I had noticed that Mexico had just imposed a special tax on sugared drinks and asked the newly installed treasurer whether he would think of introducing one here.

He replied: "Why is your default more tax or more regulations to 'control' individual behaviour? How about the idea of personal responsibility?"

Two years earlier, he had had four-fifths of his stomach removed because he had been unable to control what he ate.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The last civil exchange I had with Joe Hockey on Twitter was about soft drinks.

I had noticed that Mexico had just imposed a special tax on sugared drinks and asked the newly installed treasurer whether he would think of introducing one here.

He replied: "Why is your default more tax or more regulations to 'control' individual behaviour? How about the idea of personal responsibility?"

Two years earlier, he had had four-fifths of his stomach removed because he had been unable to control what he ate.

Oh but he chose to do that so

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Sounds like he took some personal responsibility and cut the malicious stomach out of his life forever that was only slowing him down.m just like the heroic captain Diego from my system shock video game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AbortRetryFail posted:

Sounds like he took some personal responsibility and cut the malicious stomach out of his life forever that was only slowing him down.m just like the heroic captain Diego from my system shock video game

This is honestly a very good point.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

lmao which of you was this

Canberra teacher fired over inappropriate relationships with students among several sexual harassment cases

quote:

A Canberra teacher was forced out of the job for forming inappropriate relationships with female students and ignoring several warnings to stop, documents obtained under freedom of information laws reveal.
Parents and management raised repeated concerns about the exchanges before the Education Directorate investigated them in late 2015.
The documents show two other teachers were handed written warnings for sexually harassing colleagues and members of the public, while two staff in other directorates were fired for similar behaviour.

There have been four sexual harassment investigations into Canberra public school staff and at least a further 12 in other ACT Government directorates since 2014.
One teacher was stood down on full pay in November 2015 after ongoing concerns were raised about inappropriate interactions with "vulnerable" female students of an unknown grade.
An Education Directorate spokeswoman said the exchanges did not include sexual contact.

In a letter notifying the teacher of the complaints, raised by parents of the affected student as well as others in the school community, an employee relations manager said the teacher had ignored ongoing cautioning.
The investigation substantiated two serious allegations, which were heavily redacted in the documents.
After proposing to stand down the teacher, the letter read:

quote:

"Your conduct in relation to vulnerable young female students including your failure to act on the support, advice, warnings, counselling and directions provided by your supervisors did not lend itself to any other alternative.
You developed and cultivated inappropriate relationship with vulnerable young female students at your school.
Your conduct occurred during school hours and that on occasion it was witnessed by other students, staff and members of the school community.
By allowing these relationships to form, you created a situation that had the potential to cause harm to the students as well as do serious damage to the reputation of the Directorate."

The teacher denied the allegations and was "disingenuous" in the response, employee relations claimed.
The teacher did not accept the sacking, saying it was "an unfair consequence for the identified issues," before offering their resignation in the same letter.

In a statement, an Education Directorate spokeswoman said the teacher was no longer employed in the directorate.
She said these situations are considered in the risk assessment of issuing or cancelling working with vulnerable people registrations, which is compulsory for teachers to hold.
She did not say whether all parents of the teacher's students were told of the allegations.
"While the circumstances of each case varies, Education Directorate staff prioritise the best interest of each child and this includes informing necessary people or organisations if and when required (such as requirements under mandatory reporting)," the spokeswoman said.

gently caress you im not fired i quit this disingenuous school

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

quote:

Two years ago, at a state primary school in regional Victoria, the parents of a six-year-old girl named Nelani were told their daughter was no longer welcome.

After a series of violent incidents in which Nelani struck out at classmates and teachers, the school had made a decision: she could no longer attend classes.

Struggling with a combination of mental illness and drug addiction, her parents struggled to process what they were being told.

“It’s like we were there but we weren’t there,” Katherine, Nelani’s mother, tells the Guardian. “We were just, vacant, because we didn’t understand really where they were coming from. All we heard was that our daughter was getting thrown out of the school. It was just like, ‘Wow, she’s six years old, this is so unfair.’”

That meeting could have been a life sentence for Nelani – the beginning of a cycle of conflict and distrust with an education system unable or unwilling to address the barely hidden trauma at the heart of her behaviour.

“It set this precedent of what school was going to be like,” says her father, David.

“She didn’t want to go back to school after that. It completely destroyed any trust she had. For us too, actually. There was a perception that if we got it from one school we’ll get it wherever we go.”

Except they didn’t. Two years later, Nelani, now eight, is spoken about in glowing terms by the teachers, doctors and social workers who poured hundreds of hours of resources into helping bring her and her family back from what they call their “fog”.

Nelani’s new school, Wilmot Road primary, is on the south side of Shepparton, a town of about 63,000 people, two hours north of Melbourne. Statistically among the most disadvantaged schools in Victoria, it is set in a neighbourhood dominated by 1970s-era public housing properties inhabited by disadvantaged families and, increasingly, a booming refugee population.

The Guardian spent a week inside Wilmot and its secondary neighbour, McGuire College, talking to teachers, parents and students to get a close look at the challenges facing Australia’s unequal public school system. A question emerged: how much does it cost to give a disadvantaged child the tools to benefit from an education? And do Australia’s schools have those resources?

Read the whole article here: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/apr/14/the-state-school-turning-lives-around-for-disadvantaged-children?CMP=soc_567

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

bell jar posted:

lmao which of you was this

gently caress you im not fired i quit this disingenuous school

The disingenuous was from the employee board not the teacher from my reading but they are probably both on this forum RIGHT NOW

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
you can be fired for trying to do kids? i cannot believe my enormous collection of erotic anime games were lying to me

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/purcellpw/status/985636675979132928

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Liberal MPs are fuming and embarrassed over a push from within their own branches for the promotion of gay conversion therapy and removal of discrimination protections for gay people, with one MP describing it as a "dark" throwback to the 19th century.

The Victorian Liberal Party's state council will debate a motion calling for the law to be changed to ensure doctors "can offer counselling out of same-sex attraction or gender transitioning", as Fairfax Media revealed at the weekend.

The proposal, from a Young Liberal branch linked to veteran federal MP Kevin Andrews, also says the state government should give parents and minors "full information about the psychological harms of social, medical and surgical gender transitioning".

A separate motion from the Geelong senior branch calls for "sexual orientation" to be removed entirely from the federal Sex Discrimination Act, enabling discrimination against LGBTI people, and replaced with the terms "man" and "woman".

Several federal MPs from Victoria were also incensed about the proposals but were reluctant to comment due to upcoming preselections. They pointed the finger at hard-right powerbroker and rising star Marcus Bastiaan, but also the party's state president, Michael Kroger.

"It is crap, it is bullshit this stuff," one said. Another said the motions should "die a quiet death". However, MPs noted they were not beholden to any motions passed at the meeting, to be held later in April.

Liberal MP Warren Entsch, a long-time LGBTI advocate in the party, said the proposals should not be taken too seriously even if they were "bloody offensive".

Lid fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 16, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So at what point does it become okay to just start punching these people in the streets

Asking for a friend

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Close its a dark throwback the 20th and 21st century

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

So at what point does it become okay to just start punching these people in the streets

Asking for a friend

They're trying to win an election on culture wars in Victoria. They're already hosed just let them doom themselves.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm not sure how rolling back rights for minorities and openly supporting the mafia is an effective election strategy but dammit I'd love to see them try only to get absolutely smashed

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Weren't the Victorian Liberals taken over by happy clappy churches and other religious crazies?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Weren't the Victorian Liberals taken over by happy clappy churches and other religious crazies?

Yeah that is a common conception and seems accurate since they're emboldening one another to say crazy poo poo in the media.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The Age has an article on Melbourne’s Bible Belt and the map makes a convincing argument that we should ban religion as it clearly causes poverty and disadvantage where it is present

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

And the literal mafia! Conservative Roman Catholics running wild/drugs.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yes it's all fun and games until the unwashed swing voters of Victoria, who's eyes glaze over any time someone starts to talk about politics, decide it's been about long enough and deliver the Liberals into govt.

Then you get stuck with that pack of crazies trying to ban homosexuality for 4 years.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Yeah that is a common conception and seems accurate since they're emboldening one another to say crazy poo poo in the media.

There is literally a concerted effort by bastiaan and Kevin Andrews to astroturf the Victorian liberal party into a Hillsong outpost

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lid posted:

And the literal mafia! Conservative Roman Catholics running wild/drugs.

So the Borgias?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm not sure how rolling back rights for minorities and openly supporting the mafia is an effective election strategy but dammit I'd love to see them try only to get absolutely smashed
Kevin Andrews whiteanting the LNP for some mystical agenda of his own?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

There is literally a concerted effort by bastiaan and Kevin Andrews to astroturf the Victorian liberal party into a Hillsong outpost

Yeah but there's always that in the liberal party. I'm saying it's visible to a punter now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8gdzkb/three-young-anti-abortion-protesters-open-up

The first person in this article knocked off a long serving liberal member in a preselection battle for a safe seat lolol.

• Locked thread