Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Turn one hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Wickens nooo

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Omg bourdais

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

George Zimmer posted:

Omg bourdais

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

George Zimmer posted:

Omg bourdais

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Bourdais was robbed

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Also lol at everyone in indycar repeatedly mentioning how small Zach Veach is

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Reynold posted:

Bourdais was robbed

Robbed, I says

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Lol.

Also, what happened to Sato? I missed it.

Flikken fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 15, 2018

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Ffffffff 3 of my picks were involved in that

RIP my lead

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That was a great race.

That fuckin' pass by Seabass.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Just gonna leave this here

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/985636912919592960

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I like how they had to cut away to the wide shot because the asshat controlling the onboard was about to ruin it.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

That's up there with George Teague taking the ball from Lamar Thomas in the "greatest plays called back due to a penalty" category.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

My goodness :psyboom:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I always thought Bourdais was kind of iffy coming out of Champ Car but he's constantly outdriven his equipment since coming back from F1, and also the CCWS grid wasn't actually that bad in retrospect now that we know that guys like Will Power, Justin Wilson and even Graham Rahal were actually really good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Will Power, Justin Wilson and even Graham Rahal were actually really good.

Two out of three ain't bad.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
My fantasy lead will not fare well with those picks.

Bourdais, Wickens, Hinchcliffe, and Sato

e: huh. still first. Now tied for the lead, with Bentai and BReynolds38

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 16, 2018

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
The more you read the better it gets:

Seabass posted:

SEBASTIEN BOURDAIS (No. 18 Team SealMaster Honda): "It was such a frustrating day. Full attack, really good car, the SealMaster Honda No. 18 was really hooked up. I had a pretty good feeling in the warm up and the conditions stayed the same for the race. It was a tough call to start on Firestone blacks (primary tire), but I was confident it was the right thing to do as long as I could hold my position at the start and that is exactly what happened. Thankfully, the start was stretched, so I wasn't under attack until I was up to speed. Then I really started to push hard because I could tell the guys on red tires (alternative tires) were in conservation mode. So, I started to think this could be a pretty good day. I passed a bunch of cars, and when I got to (Scott) Dixon that is when I held station. He was driving really well. He had the pace because he had saved his tires. We got to the first pit sequence and Dixon, I am sure, short filled and jumped (Will) Power. We stayed on schedule and put on red tires, and at that point, it looked like the race was coming our way. Clearly, (Alexander) Rossi was on a different planet, but other than him we were right there. I got Dixon on the restart and Race Control deemed that a violation. I thought that was interesting because I am not quite sure what I was supposed to do. I was committed. There was room and he didn't see me, so he came down on me and pushed me into the pit lane. If you get forced into the pit lane, I am not sure it is your responsibility. So, I got rather upset, so I passed him right back. I was pretty happy about that. Then we were just cruising. Unfortunately, as a group, we took a chance to stay out too long and then it went yellow. Race Control could have waited a couple seconds before closing the pits, but they didn't and we went to the back where we had to race idiots. I was racing (Charlie) Kimball side-by-side and he gives me no room, and he bent both of my toe links on the right side. It was pretty much game over from there. I made a mistake because of it trying to pass him again later into Turn 9. The car wouldn't turn anymore. Then, in the next corner, Jordan King felt like a hero and took us out. After that, I had to deal with another idiot, Matheus Leist, who tried to crash both of us a couple of times. There really wasn't much to salvage after that. It's really disappointing. The car was good. I drove the wheels off it. Passed a bunch of guys and we have nothing to show for it." 

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Angry Frenchman, holy poo poo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How was attendance?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

How was attendance?

I haven't heard actual numbers but I'm 99% sure they were up from last year's 183k

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Angry Frenchman, holy poo poo

Justifiably angry at that. People getting wrecked trying to pass Kimball? SHOCKING

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Reynold posted:

Bourdais was robbed

thisLambo
Aug 28, 2016

Sebastien, welcome to the "We hate Charlie Kimball Club", current chair Will Power and Conor Daly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/simonpagenaud/status/985670968889634816

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

:lol:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

How was attendance?

Saturday was unusually mellow. The general admissions grandstands and usual pedestrian bottlenecks were noticeably less crowded this year than in past years. I think people know that the Pro/Celeb race is no longer a thing and Saturday is less worth going to?

It was hard for me to gauge attendance on Sunday since I just showed up for the race and left right after. But if the organizers are saying ticket sales were up, I have no reason to doubt them.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

My fantasy lead will not fare well with those picks.

Bourdais, Wickens, Hinchcliffe, and Sato

e: huh. still first. Now tied for the lead, with Bentai and BReynolds38
Finally had a race go my way!

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Read my IndyCar article from Long Beach so I can justify my existence through pageviews http://nasportscar.com/what-people-arent-talking-about-at-the-toyota-grand-prix-of-long-beach/

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Tony George's only failure: Not blackballing everyone with CART connections. Now look at the series -- same pack of third-string drivers from fourth-string F1 teams; same small fields; same awful ratings; same awful gate figures. When removing a cancer, one must make sure to get *all* of it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Frond posted:

Tony George's only failure: Not blackballing everyone with CART connections. Now look at the series -- same pack of third-string drivers from fourth-string F1 teams; same small fields; same awful ratings; same awful gate figures. When removing a cancer, one must make sure to get *all* of it.

Source your quotes.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It's cool how wrong that entire post is. It's amazing.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Frond posted:

Troll post of the year

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

#DamnItsTrue

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So is that like, the IndyCar version of good ol' Mark Plourde?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Imagine what the Long Beach attendance figures would be if they had Donnie Beechler and Tyce Carlson instead of Bourdais and Wickens

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's legitimately funny how IRL won the actual war but CART won the ideological war. there's virtually none of the IRL's vision in the current series anymore. also the Road to Indy stuff has done a legit good job at getting american road racing talent into the series, because as much as I love making fun of the xenophobic fans it was kind of a problem that CART's last good american in 2001 was a 40-year-old Michael Andretti.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Imagine what the Long Beach attendance figures would be if they had Donnie Beechler and Tyce Carlson instead of Bourdais and Wickens

They'd have to lengthen the track to F1 standards just to contain the millions of fans that would show up for the race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's legitimately funny how IRL won the actual war but CART won the ideological war. there's virtually none of the IRL's vision in the current series anymore. also the Road to Indy stuff has done a legit good job at getting american road racing talent into the series, because as much as I love making fun of the xenophobic fans it was kind of a problem that CART's last good american in 2001 was a 40-year-old Michael Andretti.

I really started to notice it in 2000, when there were 4 Americans on the grid. But yeah, the only good to above average Americans on the grid from 2000-2002 were Andretti, Vasser, and I guess Gidley.