Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ravenkult posted:

I wanna get either Dead by Daylight or Friday the 13th for the PS4 today. Anybody got some advice? I heard that F13th has a really low player count and that sounds ominous.

Here's the rub: They're both kinda bad games.

Dead by Daylight has balance issues up the rear end, looks and plays like poo poo for a modern game and is filled with a terrible community (but huge on PC with 10K-15K players constantly), the only reason I keep playing is because I have a couple friends who love it so I jump on with them. But it's 100% a huge piece of poo poo, oh and the grind is massive so starting off in the game without perks to help you out when everyone else has tier 3 perks is miserable. F13 on the other hand has more polish and much better presentation, but the game has a player count is low (around 600~ on PC) and it gets really repetitive and boring while being super super slow. You'll spend a lot of time jogging from cabin to cabin doing nothing in between and that grows old fast the perk system is all passive stuff that doesn't really give you new or interesting gameplay options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish friday the 13th was first person. also i think it's weird how you can do that tape fast foward teleport - you should just be able to move super quickly when nobody is looking at you. and yeah it seems there isn't a lot to do which was my worry when i heard about it.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Danaru posted:

Also I accidentally got spoiled on the ending, and it's so lame I don't want to play anymore. Read below if you don't want to bother

The tutorial dude was the leader of the masked bad guys, and when you get the password you get jumpscared by the masked dudes. Then you choose to either die so the lady can go free, or leave and the lady dies :jerkbag: Also the tutorial guy is literally the dev so :jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

Christ you weren't kidding, he took a page out of David Cage's handbook and modelled himself into the game. I'm baffled why they thought that was a good idea.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man thats guy shouldn't do VA work, he's really bad at it.

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/299950/GET_EVEN/

Anyone play this? I stumbled on it for sale on steam, it looks kinda interesting and has pretty positive user reviews. Kind of a Condemned/FEAR thing from the looks of it.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
It's pretty solid but it's not really super horror-y. There's a bit of mind-fuckery to the plot and it's got an Inception "you're exploring memories" conceit that's kind of fun

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I got gifted A Normal Lost Phone and it is not a spooky haunted phone game at all. Just in case anyone didn't know. It is not a horror game. I finished it expecting something creepy but nope.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

ravenkult posted:

I wanna get either Dead by Daylight or Friday the 13th for the PS4 today. Anybody got some advice? I heard that F13th has a really low player count and that sounds ominous.

I'll jump in on this to sort-of, kind-of defend Dead by Daylight. It's a fun game, but I think there needs to be a big caveat to it: It gets very annoying as a Killer once you hit the high ranks.

Personally I still love the game, I've played Killer since release and still do. I don't feel it's as unbalanced as a lot of people claim, BUT, yes the Survivors do have some big perks now, and especially at higher ranks and more experienced play can make it a real nightmare to play as Killer. It can easily get frustrating, but I tend to just play however I want, I find if I don't go super try-hard and try to guard/secure every kill, I tend to hover around a rank where it mostly remains fun.

That said, I also don't know if I'd call it a Horror game either. It's certainly horror-themed, but if you play Survivor a lot you eventually get used to it, and it turns into the glorified Hide and Seek With Objectives game that it really is, and isn't really that scary anymore. And playing Killer isn't really scary because you're not the one being chased by the creepy bastard in the mask with the machete and bear traps.

F13 I personally find kind of boring, but the kills are fun for a while. If it's cheap, grab it and play around with it for a while. The voice chat can make it interesting and funny sometimes, I find that more entertaining than the actual game itself really.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

brand name canned soup posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/299950/GET_EVEN/

Anyone play this? I stumbled on it for sale on steam, it looks kinda interesting and has pretty positive user reviews. Kind of a Condemned/FEAR thing from the looks of it.

It's a good game for the cost. It's not super deep into horror, but it does have some elements. It's pretty short (like 6 hours?), but that's reflected in the lower cost.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Any recommendations for good single-session games? Looking for more games like Layers of Fear (or RE7 even), where I can sit down with friends and play through to completion in <4 hours.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lhet posted:

Any recommendations for good single-session games? Looking for more games like Layers of Fear (or RE7 even), where I can sit down with friends and play through to completion in <4 hours.

Would you be interested in something like "INSIDE" or "Little Nightmares"?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just bought something called Asemblance on ps4 for a dollar. Not sure what to expect but it looks neat. It's sort of marketed like a horror game but I get the feeling that may only be specific parts.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I did as well and it makes my ps4 get noisy as gently caress

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Morpheus posted:

I just bought something called Asemblance on ps4 for a dollar. Not sure what to expect but it looks neat. It's sort of marketed like a horror game but I get the feeling that may only be specific parts.
It's very light on horror but has some sci-fi existentialist stuff that's fun. It's short but the kind of experimental story based game I love and am drawn to more lately. If you get to something that seems like an ending remember you can go through it more than once and things will be different, hopefully that's not spoiling anything.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It's very light on horror but has some sci-fi existentialist stuff that's fun. It's short but the kind of experimental story based game I love and am drawn to more lately. If you get to something that seems like an ending remember you can go through it more than once and things will be different, hopefully that's not spoiling anything.

Significantly different, or just like "the rng has decided that the monster is blue" kind of thing? I'm going to be playing this with my friends at our weekly game night, so once and ending is reached, would you say it's worth it to say "wait, there's more"?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Amberskull is awful. Don't buy Amberskull. Buy Untold Stories, which does what Amberskull is trying to do but slightly better. Actually for 5 bucks if you want constant lovely jumpscares buy Amberskull.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Alternatively you can track down the free-to-play version of The House Abandon, which was generally accepted as the best part of Stories Untold (and also avoid the dumb "plot twist" that feels very shoehorned into Stories Untold to try and connect the different stories). But if you can find Stories Untold for cheap or on sale, the other three stories seem to be popular as well, I didn't really like any of them but I think I'm in the minority there.

Also it's not really apples to apples comparison, since there's no moving around environments in Stories Untold.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

MockingQuantum posted:

Alternatively you can track down the free-to-play version of The House Abandon, which was generally accepted as the best part of Stories Untold (and also avoid the dumb "plot twist" that feels very shoehorned into Stories Untold to try and connect the different stories). But if you can find Stories Untold for cheap or on sale, the other three stories seem to be popular as well, I didn't really like any of them but I think I'm in the minority there.

Also it's not really apples to apples comparison, since there's no moving around environments in Stories Untold.

Does the original version of The House Abandon contain references to the, uh, twist? Like, was it always going to be that? I don't know if that'd be more or less disappointing than what it ended up being.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

Does the original version of The House Abandon contain references to the, uh, twist? Like, was it always going to be that? I don't know if that'd be more or less disappointing than what it ended up being.

I actually don't know, I don't really remember the free version well enough to pick out the differences.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

MockingQuantum posted:

I actually don't know, I don't really remember the free version well enough to pick out the differences.

Yeah, I even forgot that the actual House Abandon chapter of Stories Untold barely mentions the twist, and it just kinda replays in text in Chapter 4. I got confused there.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I thought Stories Untold would be just a collection of separate crazy stories because that way they were rather interesting. Sadly, the reveal was underwhelming.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Each story was way more intriguing on its own. Especially the arctic one.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Morpheus posted:

Significantly different, or just like "the rng has decided that the monster is blue" kind of thing? I'm going to be playing this with my friends at our weekly game night, so once and ending is reached, would you say it's worth it to say "wait, there's more"?
More along the lines of, there are different endings, and there are minor, non-RNG things that change, the game knows that it's not your first time playing through it, things like that. Not to oversell it too much though, it's pretty short and experimental.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Text adventures are inherently awful, so I googled all the keywords for those parts, but the rest of Stories Untold was sublime. Imagination just running wild while you're performing the most mundane actions. Then it just has to go and explain everything and it is the lamest thing you could think of.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

woodenchicken posted:

Text adventures are inherently awful, so I googled all the keywords for those parts, but the rest of Stories Untold was sublime. Imagination just running wild while you're performing the most mundane actions. Then it just has to go and explain everything and it is the lamest thing you could think of.

I felt like the story of the first one really should have remained self-contained, or better, been part of a greater arching narrative connected to the other stories.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Anyone tried Outbreak: Nightmare Chronicles yet? Opinions?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I will say Friday the 13th has one of the most chill playerbases I've ever seen. I think I can count the times I saw anyone complain about another player on one hand. Most of the time it's just "Yeah you got me, good one"

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I've had nothing but chill experiences in f13, everyone usually jokes around through the whole match, Jasons join in frequently. Get out there, y'all.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The Forest has finally hit full release status.

If you haven't checked the game out in a while, there's been quite a few changes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kokoro Wish posted:

The Forest has finally hit full release status.

If you haven't checked the game out in a while, there's been quite a few changes.

Is that the game with the deer

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is that the game where you fight cannibals on a tropical island?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is that the game where you fight cannibals on a tropical island?

Yes.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is it a game where you have to manage food and water and all that kind of crap

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Update: I went ahead and picked up Outbreak: The Nightmare Chronicles. So far it's nice in that old RE kind of way, though I find myself chronically short of health items. I think that may be partly my choosing to use the knife earlier on before I realized how much pistol ammo I'd be getting on Normal, putting me on the back foot in keeping me alive. I probably also should have busted out the shotgun earlier the first time I went outside and ran into the lizard things.. Luckily damage sticks to enemies even if you enter and exit rooms despite their positions resetting, so one can play with doors if it comes down to it. The character model is also a little wonky in that she seems to be constantly skating.

Overall I'm looking forward to completing it and what the next episodes will be like so far having gotten to the clover key so far.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hey, Bendy and the Ink Machine episode 4 came out!

(Still going downhill other than the aesthetic)

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Bendy and the Ink Machine Episode 5: Christ, They're Still Making That?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jukebox Hero posted:

Bendy and the Ink Machine Episode 5: Christ, They're Still Making That?

They've been taking a ludicrous amount of time between episodes, especially with how short and really unsubstantial they've been. Here sucker, have another 40 minute chunk of gameplay after like 8 months.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 2, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all the last chapter contained was a couple of super mediocre-looking boss fights and more walking around while faux-bioshock voice clips play

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They seem to do well based on a weird fandom built around it. You just need a vague enough plot to have internet people read way too deep into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

HebrewMagic posted:

I've had nothing but chill experiences in f13, everyone usually jokes around through the whole match, Jasons join in frequently. Get out there, y'all.

Are you all PC or PS4 or is it cross play? I've been toying with getting it but don't want to jump on if it's already got a shrinking player base.