Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
lawyers, doctors, and other such professionals are also exempted from overtime laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eschaton posted:

also LOL at stallman in total paranoia “the supermarket has no right to track my purchases!” mode

Yeah, it's fun to read that article and recognize all of these pseudo-celebs' personal attitudes to the stuff. RMS is insane and paranoid and terrified that the taxi company might know where he goes, Lowtax is bitter and cynical and talks about raping pets, etc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

they specifically do not take advantage of any exemptions to OT pay for hourly employees, because turns out that burning out your employees when you’ve got a launch upcoming has a tendency to seriously gently caress things up when they ragequit.

Want to fly someone to Asia to fix something?
23 hours traveling door to door means you’re paying each way:
8 hours @ 1x
4 @ 1.5x
11 @ 2x

better be making sure it’s worth it.

again, doesn't matter whether you're hourly. non-exempt employees have to be paid overtime for overnight travel. exempt employees do not.

under federal law virtually all technology workers are overtime exempt. by fiat. sorry.

i mean, an employer could choose to offer you overtime, but it's not your right under the law.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

lawyers, doctors, and other such professionals are also exempted from overtime laws.

doctors would be exempt no matter what due to the medical exemption. unfortunately so are nurses and EMTs :(

lawyers are exempt because they are professionals. paralegals and clerks and so on are not overtime exempt. so really only entry-level firm associates should be hurt by it. (of course in reality law firms are run by lawyers sooooo)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
your ability to miss the extremely clear point — in this case that their employer is, in fact, paying overtime despite not being required to — is as always a triumph

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Of all the slurs that come to mind when I think of Zuckerberg, “sex crazed” is pretty low on the list.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
after all, USB

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

eschaton posted:

also LOL at stallman in total paranoia “the supermarket has no right to track my purchases!” mode

let's see how you feel when your mortgage application is rejected when buying shasta cola and store-brand twinkies affect your creditworthiness

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

meatpotato posted:

let's see how you feel when your mortgage application is rejected when buying shasta cola and store-brand twinkies affect your creditworthiness

i knew this chrome skull gearshift and truck nut collection would come back to haunt me!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have an acquaintance who wanted to be a cop for years so he refused to buy booze with anything but cash because he thought that (1) the police could look up your grocery store purchase history and (2) the police wouldn't hire someone who drank alcohol.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
your acquaintance sounds like he's got the right level of critical thinking skills to be a cop and he certainly has the perseverance to handle such a dull job

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

i have an acquaintance who wanted to be a cop for years so he refused to buy booze with anything but cash because he thought that (1) the police could look up your grocery store purchase history and (2) the police wouldn't hire someone who drank alcohol.

Was he in, like, Utah?

:confused:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Was he in, like, Utah?

:confused:

no, canada. he is not the sharpest bulb in the deck.

meatpotato posted:

your acquaintance sounds like he's got the right level of critical thinking skills to be a cop and he certainly has the perseverance to handle such a dull job

he's been rejected a number of times and currently sells jetskis. i wonder what were their grounds for denial

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
probably over qualified

mind you, i know some folks i went to school with who now work for tps and peel region, they were actually pretty bright.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/spikycloud810/status/984965539922694149?s=21

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

he's been rejected a number of times and currently sells jetskis. i wonder what were their grounds for denial

remember that one police academy where they were chasing baddies on jetskis? there’s hope for your friend yet.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Like Ted Cruz could answer that question

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
mocking techbros is all good and well but maybe using that sentiment to do a weird wink wink nudge nudge towards the security services is not such a great idea

https://twitter.com/slashdot/status/985578660315803648?s=21

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Hey, we sidestepped the shitshow that is declaw chat, how did that happen. I had this great bonzai tree metaphor all lined up and then for some reason the thread's milieu took a hard tack toward pictures of Zuck with dumps like a cambridge analytica breach

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

the highlights were 'keeping a no-poo poo-kills-things-for-fun predator as an emotional support pillow' and 'habitat so small and unstimulating it would make a city zoo cringe'

which way is the cat thread

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TimWinter posted:

Like Ted Cruz could answer that question

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

meatpotato posted:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/985684755877265408?s=21

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i wonder if he has to tell his underlings when to laugh

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i remember the joke that every person in yospos has made about the zuck

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
well, good for you

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

epic win! XD

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Tokamak posted:

i remember the joke that every person in yospos has made about the zuck

You must be fun at parties

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

You must be fun at parties

yeah, lemon parties, ‘cause that goon’s obviously a big ol’ sourpuss

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i'm just not feeling it today, sorry.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Tokamak posted:

i'm just not feeling it today, sorry.

My rear end begs to differ. Seriously, keep your hands to yourself.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
what's the original source of the "so it's impossible to say whether it's good or bad" quote --was it some hackernews?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

meatpotato posted:

what's the original source of the "so it's impossible to say whether it's good or bad" quote --was it some hackernews?

@dril

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

meatpotato posted:

drunk driving may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people get to work on time, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the original

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762?s=21

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://uk.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouse-workers-have-to-pee-into-bottles-2018-4

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's terrible!

they should have to buy catheters and bags as part of their uniform.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
seriously why is it always amazon we're hearing the weird bathroom-denial stories about? and not even just their warehouses, even their loving office buildings are notorious for not having enough bathrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

seriously why is it always amazon we're hearing the weird bathroom-denial stories about? and not even just their warehouses, even their loving office buildings are notorious for not having enough bathrooms.

Jeff Bezos is fully diapered at all times