Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

Nuclear War posted:

Why is this not a thing. Seriously

Not actually released yet, as far as I can tell, but it kind of is a thing that exists: https://www.gsmarena.com/energizer_power_max_p16k_pro_handson-news-29827.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If that thing works on Fi I will be all over it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My new phone comes with a ergonomic rolling charging device. Lots of power.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't get anywhere near that, normal is 5h screen on time on my 2 XL. I have no clue how you get 8, wtf.

I too would like to see thicker phones with bigger batteries.

Yeah, I have a Mate 9 that will still get over 8 hours of SOT and it's a year and a half old, it easily hit 10 hours when it was new and was an every-other-day charge device. My pixel 2 xl is pretty much done at 5 or 6 hours of display time.

I want a thick phone with a thick battery and a big cam sensor.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I want the next Pixel to be a little more expensive to further preserve exclusivity.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

I want the next Pixel to be a little more expensive to further preserve exclusivity.

That's going about it completely wrong. There need to be fewer made

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

syscall girl posted:

That's going about it completely wrong. There need to be fewer made

Why not both?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I just want it to be unavailable on verizon so nobody has to wonder about what dumb bullshit they did to the device when someone comes around asking about why their $800+ phone suddenly starts blaring Daddy Yankee at them at 4:30AM and we later find out it was some Verizon promo app trying to sell something.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I want the Pixel 3 to be manufactured by OnePlus.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I want it to be manufactured by LG and running EMUI.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I hope it has venomous spines and only works when you're wearing a raccoon suit.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Next Pixel is made by Nokia. Suddenly Google has a phone that doesn't poo poo itself after a year or have screen issues. Samsung as counter-attack joins the Android One program so none can complain about their dumb software. Apple drops their pricing by 25% then Al Gore becomes the president of earth by popular acclaim.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Guillermus posted:

Next Pixel is made by Nokia. Suddenly Google has a phone that doesn't poo poo itself after a year or have screen issues. Samsung as counter-attack joins the Android One program so none can complain about their dumb software. Apple drops their pricing by 25% then Al Gore becomes the president of earth by popular acclaim.

Fuckin thing still doesn't have decent Bluetooth

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I would unironically love it if Google cancelled their big conference or whatever and just put out a blog post saying "Pixel 3, it has a better battery, literally everything else stayed the same. We're going to keep improving Android's stability and performance at current specs instead of just releasing a more powerful phone each year to keep up with feature creep. Bye."

I also want a billion dollars.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember when people were going nuts over the new Google headphones. Half the stuff at IO are fake or garbage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's sure what I want, over year old silicon in a new phone. That's a surefire way to keep software support current.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mu Zeta posted:

I remember when people were going nuts over the new Google headphones. Half the stuff at IO are fake or garbage.

To be fair, that demo where it did the babel fish thing was pretty impressive.

Then it turns out they were lovely headphones and people stopped caring.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hello my puppy randomly found and gnawed on my G5+ this morning. Is there another similarly cheap but nice phone out recently or coming out soon or should I just get another one?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Hello my puppy randomly found and gnawed on my G5+ this morning. Is there another similarly cheap but nice phone out recently or coming out soon or should I just get another one?

The Moto G6 line is launching very soon, hold out for that if you can. Rumour is the launch event is on the 19th.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Javid posted:

I would love a phone that was 2x as thick as most current ones with a ridiculously huge battery.

Link: http://a.co/0LWAHi2

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

The Moto G6 line is launching very soon, hold out for that if you can. Rumour is the launch event is on the 19th.

Cool thanks, glad I asked.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I figure I would extol the benefits of a waterproof phone after a pigeon shat right on my Galaxy S8 Active. (Only in NYC) That fucker had some amazing aim because it must have been from high up on a building and it landed squarely right on my screen with only a little splatter on my gloves and jacket and a little runoff onto my pants; it was really wet. It was also fortunate that it didn't have a screen protector or case because either would have trapped that (literal) poo poo. No pics because ewww but I should have told my brother to take some because it really was a sight to behold.

After copious amounts of napkins and hand sanitizer got me and my phone presentable, we went to a restaurant bathroom and I washed the phone with lots of soap and water with abandon. Even though I already tested the S8's water resistance when I first got it, I've never actually aggressively cleaned it like this before. It was a little weird at first but it felt so satisfying to clean after all the literal poo poo it went through. I don't know what I would do with a lesser phone but now I'm truly a believer of IP-67 minimum rated phones. (or cases like a Lifeproof)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
There's probably a straightforward answer to this but I'm struggling to find it - I recently upgraded to a Pixel 2 and when as far as I can tell the only options for using backup are "Nothing" or "everything". I want to have my contacts backed up and I don't really care if it stores apps. But I don't want my entire call history, SMS history, and pictures backed up. Is there a menu I'm missing that would let me pick and choose what to back up? That's always been there in the past but I'm unable to find it in Android 8.1.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Thoguh posted:

There's probably a straightforward answer to this but I'm struggling to find it - I recently upgraded to a Pixel 2 and when as far as I can tell the only options for using backup are "Nothing" or "everything". I want to have my contacts backed up and I don't really care if it stores apps. But I don't want my entire call history, SMS history, and pictures backed up. Is there a menu I'm missing that would let me pick and choose what to back up? That's always been there in the past but I'm unable to find it in Android 8.1.

I may be misunderstanding what you're asking for here but your contacts are tied to your Google account, so as long as you have sync activated for your contacts, and you can choose to sync just your contacts, there is no need to backup your contacts.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Incessant Excess posted:

I may be misunderstanding what you're asking for here but your contacts are tied to your Google account, so as long as you have sync activated for your contacts, and you can choose to sync just your contacts, there is no need to backup your contacts.

Maybe that's what is throwing me off. There's no "sync contacts" or whatever option that is a visible thing to turn on/off either in the settings or the contacts app, but contacts is listed as one of the things it backs up if you turn on backup. The only thing I can find is in Settings -> System -> Backup, where you can turn everything on/off. "Everything" is
-Apps and Apps data
-Call history
-Contacts
-Device Settings
-Photos and videos
-SMS

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 16, 2018

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I hope it has venomous spines and only works when you're wearing a raccoon suit.

Finally I can put my raccoon suit to use!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

Maybe that's what is throwing me off. There's no "sync contacts" or whatever option that is a visible thing to turn on/off, but contacts is listed as one of the things it backs up if you turn on backup. The only thing I can find is in Settings -> System -> Backup, where you can turn everything on/off. "Everything" is
-Apps and Apps data
-Call history
-Contacts
-Device Settings
-Photos and videos
-SMS

Look under the Accounts section of Settings. Under the account that your contacts are stored in, there are sync toggles for each app/aspect of the account. You can turn off everything except contacts there. You can then also turn off Backup entirely if you want.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

2018 Nokia 6 got released in the us, $270, 3gb ram 32 gb storage

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-mobile-Factory-Unlocked-Phone/dp/B07B4KPFKM/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Department of Commerce just banned US companies from selling components to ZTE for violating trade sanctions with Iran. So, it's likely going to cripple their flagship phones since they won't be able to buy Snapdragons for them. They will have to be mediatek from here on out.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
With the g6 play/regular/plus finally launching this week, how should I figure out which chipset to buy? RAM and clock speed are the only things i'm interested in at this point, since I've given up entirely on battery life (after having a droid turbo and a 4000mah battery that lasts half a day) and just carry around a power pack in a bag.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Blue Train posted:

2018 Nokia 6 got released in the us, $270, 3gb ram 32 gb storage

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-mobile-Factory-Unlocked-Phone/dp/B07B4KPFKM/

I was thinking about upgrading from my old Nexus 6, but I was hoping for 4GB of RAM, as I can feel the limitations of 3GB currently.
Oh well, going to keep waiting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

With the g6 play/regular/plus finally launching this week, how should I figure out which chipset to buy? RAM and clock speed are the only things i'm interested in at this point, since I've given up entirely on battery life (after having a droid turbo and a 4000mah battery that lasts half a day) and just carry around a power pack in a bag.

Is the battery in your Droid Turbo the original from what looks like... 2014? If so, your battery is probably dead and not holding a charge like it should. Phone batteries show significant wear after 12-18 months, let alone 4 years.

"RAM and clock speed are the only things I'm interested in" is like the exact wrong approach to take. How, in 2018, we are still having to explain that "a processor's clock speed is not the same as its performance speed" is a thing beyond my belief, but here we are.

Wait for reviews, try to get your hands on it, do literally anything else than make your decision on clock speed. 3 GB of RAM should be enough, but not if you are going to keep your phone for 4 years again.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Internet Explorer posted:

Is the battery in your Droid Turbo the original from what looks like... 2014? If so, your battery is probably dead and not holding a charge like it should. Phone batteries show significant wear after 12-18 months, let alone 4 years.

"RAM and clock speed are the only things I'm interested in" is like the exact wrong approach to take. How, in 2018, we are still having to explain that "a processor's clock speed is not the same as its performance speed" is a thing beyond my belief, but here we are.

Wait for reviews, try to get your hands on it, do literally anything else than make your decision on clock speed. 3 GB of RAM should be enough, but not if you are going to keep your phone for 4 years again.

nope it's a replacement phone i got under warranty last year, actually. and my bad on saying clock speed instead of performance speed, I just didn't know if i could rely on one chip being xyz model vs another at abc model. I've never looked at the chipsets before.

Considering the huge amount of issues I have on 2gb ram I want to go to 4gb, although the 6gb would be really nice. I don't want to keep with this cycle of 'must upgrade every 2 years' especially now that subsidies have gone out the window.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

3-4GB Ram on a phone you would think would be enough, but Android is still complete crap at multitasking and memory management that even my P2XL feels like a dog when I try to just use Podcast Addict and Maps at the same time randomly. That and I can never understand how anyone gets a background app to not have to refresh when you task switch back to it after leaving it alone for a few minutes or after opening something like chrome on top of it with more than 2 tabs open.

Been the same with 3GB and 4GB phones. I wonder how 8GB may fare on phones like the Razer. That's the one thing Windows Phone did good was Tombstoning apps in the background actually seemed to make switching around, even on 512mb ram, functional and fast. Hell even a PC with 4G ram and an SSD multitask better than android with 4G.

In "Budget Flagship" news though. Essential Phone is down to $399 $391 + $40 Airtime Card at Best Buy They have been keeping up on their updates right behind Google (Hell even the Sprint model finally got the 8.1 update with this months security updates) and the camera has gotten a lot better than launch day (I love using the B&W shooter myself).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

EdEddnEddy posted:

3-4GB Ram on a phone you would think would be enough, but Android is still complete crap at multitasking and memory management that even my P2XL feels like a dog when I try to just use Podcast Addict and Maps at the same time randomly. That and I can never understand how anyone gets a background app to not have to refresh when you task switch back to it after leaving it alone for a few minutes or after opening something like chrome on top of it with more than 2 tabs open.

Been the same with 3GB and 4GB phones. I wonder how 8GB may fare on phones like the Razer. That's the one thing Windows Phone did good was Tombstoning apps in the background actually seemed to make switching around, even on 512mb ram, functional and fast. Hell even a PC with 4G ram and an SSD multitask better than android with 4G.

Hate to be this guy but I use Pocketcasts and Maps together all the time and it's totally fine so maybe Podcast Addict is just a garbage app??

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Hate to be this guy but I use Pocketcasts and Maps together all the time and it's totally fine so maybe Podcast Addict is just a garbage app??

I run Maps and Podcast Addict all the time. Never had an issue, other than the typical Bluetooth fuckery with audio. Pocket Casts worked just fine. I'm on a Nexus 6P.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Same. And I haven't seen a chrome tab refresh after switching back to it in years.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Could just be having Social Media apps installed screwing things up. Need to wipe and install only the bare essentials and use the web apps for anything else.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

Same. And I haven't seen a chrome tab refresh after switching back to it in years.

Other than my Octoprint server page, I agree. Every time I open it, it says "Server unavailable" in a semi-transparent popup, even though I can see the page updating behind it. A refresh, and it's fine... I should ping the dev, she's a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

Could just be having Social Media apps installed screwing things up. Need to wipe and install only the bare essentials and use the web apps for anything else.

You talk about rooting and tweaking your phone quite a bit. Is it possible the issue stems from a change you've made?