Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
the answer is of course hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
taken out of context at the top of a new page that post is um

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

to be fair the english channel was a real mvp

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/984832675302330369

Glad that the west doesn't have propaganda that twists history to their own hands
the only good thing the british did was retreat

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

rudatron posted:

the only good thing the british did was retreat

What about that time they beat a Nazi invasion with magically animated suits of armor

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
australia tied up the japanese in the pacific and stopped them from invading america, letting the americans fight in europe, ipso facto australia won ww2

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Slugnoid posted:

australia tied up the japanese in the pacific and stopped them from invading america, letting the americans fight in europe, ipso facto australia won ww2

Having seven years prior lost a war to emus.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

japans contribution to ww2 was opening the door for America to come effectively take control of asia

russia may have killed the most nazis but america was the real winner

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

SplitSoul posted:

Having seven years prior lost a war to emus.

hey man i was just having a light hearted joke. no need to bring up EW1

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Slugnoid posted:

Yeah, the Kwantung Army was just about to leave China and land in California when the Aussies heroically did ? to stop this dastardly plan.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Slugnoid posted:

hey man i was just having a light hearted joke. no need to bring up EW1

It's one of the greatest battles in history, up there with Karánsebes.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Intifadarling/status/985529490003709953?s=19

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

class war probably

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/CharmingGrump/status/984899840189476864

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There was this scene on the biographical movie of Gagarin I saw earlier this year of him as a kid stealing food from the german sentry and him or his brother almost being hanged by it yeah

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Russian potatoes: Food, Drink, Weapons.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

is very good plant

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

tbf it wasnt capitalism that took the us to the moon it was nazi scientists

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Darkman Fanpage posted:

tbf it wasnt capitalism that took the us to the moon it was nazi scientists

"Nazi Schmazi," says Werner von Braun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/bonniemalkin/status/985004592835444736

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Apr 15, 2018

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

:zenpop:

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Plutonis posted:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/984832675302330369

Glad that the west doesn't have propaganda that twists history to their own hands

I mean this is 100%. If the British agreed to peace with honor after France fell, I think the Germans would have won in the Soviet Union.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

HorrificExistence posted:

I mean this is 100%. If the British agreed to peace with honor after France fell, I think the Germans would have won in the Soviet Union.

Lol not even close

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The Germans were going to get loving crushed by the Soviets even before you figure in Lend-Lease, my dude

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Germany never actually had a chance of winning their intended war, at best they could have stopped after Poland or something and accepted peace

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

lmao

quote:

Too long didn't scroll : Idealistic differences do not need to divide us, partisan politics are bad.

I have a theory about the method that political parties use to get votes.

Picture, if you will, this vile and cruel pastime: a group of persons devoid of decency pit two animals - that in the wild may have formed a pack and pursued survival and life along side one another - against each other in brutal combat. The ring is set; a scrap of meat long withheld from either creature dropped in the center; a barrier preventing escape around edge. The beasts, made desperate by starvation and cruelty, have one choice. They must fight or die. The organizers place bets, and if the dog they chose is vicious enough and strong enough, they profit.

The organizers are the political parties, and the scrap of meat represents the current issues.

By refusing to do anything about these highly important issues, they starve the various ideals of the people (in this metaphor, the dogs) to the point where bringing up the topic provokes an extreme and violent response. The parties then take bets on which side of the issue will provoke the stronger group of voters, and on which side will become the most vicious.

Division and mutual hatred between people of differing ideals is not a side effect of partisan politics, it is the modus operandi of partisan politics.

As the people grow more and more hungry for the important issues to be addressed, the political parties need less and less effort to divide the people. The scraps get leaner, and the dogs get more violent. the last election showed how little needs to be done to create bitter hatred among the voters, and how neither candidate has to be even slightly similar to what the people want.

This needs to be stopped.

There is a saying about voting that refers to choosing the lesser of two evils. That saying acknowledges the fact that we can not always choose what is purely good and right, but it ignores the fact that we the people, by our complacent cooperation with the partisan political system, have forced ourselves into this mess.

We need to stop this system before it goes any further.
I propose here these methods for ending the fight:

1. Refuse to donate any money to any political party, and encourage others to do the same.We must reduce the profits gained from being turned against each other.

Refuse to hate someone for their opinions, no matter how valid or invalid they may be.
learn to disagree and stand by your beliefs without looking down on those who believe differently. whether a person is SJW or a Nazi, don't legitimize their hate by hating them back. odds are, they formed such extreme opinions because only the vicious dogs get the chance to fight for food, and the less aggressive dogs don't get fed.

Spend time with people you disagree with.
Don't create an echo chamber around yourself. You must be willing to change your mind, and you must be willing to say you were wrong. Stand by your beliefs, but make sure to check that they are built on a good foundation.

Seek understanding.
Do not immediately dismiss someone as being on the other side. Instead, do your absolute best to examine their beliefs and your beliefs carefully.

I do not consider republicans or democrats to be the enemy, I consider the actions of such political groups to be the enemy. I do not think that the dogfight was started intentionally, I believe that it is a result of having political parties at all. While the actions of a person are complex and meaningful, the actions of a group are subject to mass compromise, and the result is simple and merely instinctive.

I am not saying not to vote for the candidates produced by political parties, I am saying that support of a party rather than support of an individual from a party is a compromise that no one should make.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Every single one of those puffins needs to be shot.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Chillgamesh posted:

The Germans were going to get loving crushed by the Soviets even before you figure in Lend-Lease, my dude

The British and Americans would have supported the Nazis if peace was made in 1939-40

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Counter-factual history is dumb and boring and is like wondering whether German flying-saucer jets would've turned that doohickey around.

Edit: posting a pic

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 06:03 on Apr 16, 2018

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

The British and Americans would have supported the Nazis if peace was made in 1939-40

Americans would have been fighting the Japanese over the Pacific and not intervened either way, with no dog in the fight

I don't think Britain would have helped Germany much either, wouldn't want to provoke the ussr in the event the Soviets won, they'd probably be closer to Franco's Spain in terms of isolation.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Help! The MilHist thread is leaking!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this is the worst poo poo

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

frankenfreak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFZoVIDx5dg&t=22s

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

frankenfreak posted:

I'm just saying if you put me in charge of France during the thirties, I'd have gotten the napoleonic borders back :colbert:

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Counter-factual history is dumb and boring and is like wondering whether German flying-saucer jets would've turned that doohickey around.

Edit: posting a pic

I actually agree completely.

All I'm saying is that the British decision to stay in the fight (especially since it wasnt truely existential until late-40) was pretty decisive.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/braddybb/status/985757702973415424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
of course a child that invested in bitcoins would look like a corpse