Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I thought it was the other guy talking about an elongated knob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's not just using a wacky lens to make the bathroom look bigger than it is, is it.

Looks like they used a fisheye lens with obvious distortion, then tried to run it through some kind of software correction that makes distortion less noticeable. But if you're shoving 160 degrees of view into a thumbnail size picture, something has to give.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

A toilet, urinal trough, and baby bath all in one!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

~Coxy posted:

I agree that HLs are not good enough for power tool work.
Never tried any of the more advanced active earpro.

The stuff made for shooting isn't really suited for power tool use. I use mine, but turned off, so they're just normal muffs at that point.

I already have a little tinnitus from shooting as a kid with no earpro on so I do not gently caress around AT ALL around loud noises. I'll even use them if I'm gonna be driving for more than an hour or so. People who will just fire up a saw with no warning piss me off. Wreck your own ears if you really want to, but gimme a heads up at least.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Still trying to figure out what's going on here.

It looks like they changed the height of the intermediate floor, and wanted to adapt the stairs instead of rebuilding them completely. Probably for permit related shenanigans.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Javid posted:

I already have a little tinnitus from shooting as a kid with no earpro on so I do not gently caress around AT ALL around loud noises. I'll even use them if I'm gonna be driving for more than an hour or so.

I hear ya (lol). I've got a dB meter and the very first time I used it the car I was driving with the windows up, radio off, ventilation off was over 90dB just driving down the highway.
I can't run a vacuum without ear protection.

If ya really want to start wearing protection on a regular basis I can't recommend Etymotic ER20s enough. They've got a much flatter frequency response than other earplugs so things sound more natural, just quieter. ~20db reduction across the board. NRR of only 12, because they don't attenuate the damaging high frequencies as well: that's the tradeoff that makes them sound good. They don't leave you feeling completely isolated from your surroundings.

Etymotic canalphones are also excellent! All of the noise reduction of an earplug, + music/podcasts "piped directly into your brain". It's kinda a weird experience.
It's nice being able to listen to music without destroying your hearing even in a loud environment. I'd still recommend wearing muffs over them if you're mowing the lawn or nearby those godforsaken circular saws.

Etymotic actually came out with an affordable canalphone explicitly designed for industrial use.
$70 is cheap as gently caress compared to their old product lines: for a while there their "entry level" product was around $200.
27NRR with the foam tips, 22 with the silicone tri-flange. That's...not super great. Double-up with some 30NRR ear muffs on top and you're set though: bone conduction is your major source of hearing loss at that point and you can't do much about it.

Lifehack: tear the tube out of the Etymotic foam tips, punch a hole through a Howard Leight Max Lite, make your own closed-cell polyurethane tip. Much more comfortable, lasts longer, washable.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

One Legged Ninja posted:

It looks like they changed the height of the intermediate floor, and wanted to adapt the stairs instead of rebuilding them completely. Probably for permit related shenanigans.

That has to be the right explanation, the location must be outside USA. Have to keep the landing at least the same width as the stairs throughout.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

2nding the ER20s. Unless I'm mixing or on a barricade, these are what I wear working or attending concerts. Fit great, sound great, and gives you a fair bit of protection. The universal fit model comes with foam tips as well that split the difference between the regular ER20s and foam plugs.

Yawgmoth posted:

At this will almost guarantee my dick doesn't touch the rim. :smug:

But does it touch the water?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcfJL51Xia4

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Is that a hot tub on an ill-supported and -built deck? Because that's really stupid.

ed: Yeah, it apparently was on DIY Network, Disaster House
https://www.diynetwork.com/shows/disaster-house/the-crazy-stuff-that-happens-on-disaster-house-pictures

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 15, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Is that a hot tub on an ill-supported and -built deck? Because that's really stupid.

Not anymore.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

ed: Yeah, it apparently was on DIY Network, Disaster House
https://www.diynetwork.com/shows/disaster-house/the-crazy-stuff-that-happens-on-disaster-house-pictures

Thanks for that link. I was befuddled by what appears to be a fountain of water shooting up out of that hot-tub, but no... it's water coming in, the whole thing was intentionally creating a failure.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I can already hear Page Davis explaining how the owners were just casually using the hot tub when it tore off the side of the building thus requiring an Emergency Rescue Remodel with an a new master bath, bonus room, two hot tubs, and a hot tub grill so you can grill while sitting in your new balcony hot tub which totally won't fall this time.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The Locator posted:

Thanks for that link. I was befuddled by what appears to be a fountain of water shooting up out of that hot-tub, but no... it's water coming in, the whole thing was intentionally creating a failure.

Well I feel swindled. Sorry to bring fake crappy construction to the real crappy construction thread.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Crotch Fruit posted:

I can already hear Page Davis explaining how the owners were just casually using the hot tub when it tore off the side of the building thus requiring an Emergency Rescue Remodel with an a new master bath, bonus room, two hot tubs, and a hot tub grill so you can grill while sitting in your new balcony hot tub which totally won't fall this time.

The phrase 'bonus room' makes me seethe with anger.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Liquid Communism posted:

IME it means an extra room that you can't call a bedroom in the listing because it lacks something like a closet or an egress window, but the next owner will probably use as a bedroom anyway. Why does it bother you?

therobit fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 16, 2018

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
By that definition, I am posting from my "bonus room", it was an unfinished section of basement with 14 loving corners and it has no window or closet. In a way, I love not having a window so I can goon it up and have total darkness at any time of the day without like hiding in a closet. I have thought about trying to get a window put in, but it would have to be a spider/snake pit style window which I don't want, all the other windows down here are normal since the other half of the basement is not below ground, I cant think of the right term. The way I see it, it would be a lot of money to put in a window and closet and it would make a lovely bedroom but if the next owners are into that kinda thing by all means they can to try to find a place to cram an illegal bed down here, or just use it like I do as an office.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

my house has a bonus room, a family room and living room, and a dining room and formal dining room.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

FCKGW posted:

my house has a bonus room, a family room and living room, and a dining room and formal dining room.

Does it have a hot chicks room?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have a "library" room full of books and toys that helps keep the books and toys from overtaking the living room. It connects to the deck fox max chill.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Dr.Smasher posted:

Does it have a hot chicks room?

Bucket Of Truth or it’s no deal.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Staggered see-through cantilevered steps and no handrail with the added bonus of being able to miss the floor and fall down a second flight of stairs.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:stonklol:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's a sort of handrail carved into the wall, but it leads into a hell-dimension.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

There's a sort of handrail carved into the wall, but it leads into a hell-dimension.

It’s actually an exposed toaster oven

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I thought that was a handrail at first, but it doesn't extend even close to the top and it appears to be inset; I'm pretty sure it's just an accent light.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
What a loving death trap.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I need to see the rest of those clear plastic dining chairs.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Imagine trying to use those while wearing socks.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

peanut posted:

I need to see the rest of those clear plastic dining chairs.

It's one of these, or a knockoff.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
That thing looks like a tutorial marker from The Sims. As in, one of those 'build stairs here' outlines.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Javid posted:

Imagine trying to use those while wearing socks.

Imagine if the power goes out. Oh, it's okay, there's a second set of stairs to catch you if you miss the first lot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I have a bonus room but every time I want to go in I have to carry the TNT barrel up from the basement and it's a hassle to get it past the pit.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I want to believe those steps retract in the wall to wipe the blood off.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wanna see the guy with those red stairs use them after getting home from a big party when he's hammered.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Crotch Fruit posted:

I want to believe those steps retract in the wall to wipe the blood off.
They used to be clear. They grow darker with each victim.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
those stairs will not protect you

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Locator posted:

Wanna see the guy with those red stairs use them after getting home from a big party when he's hammered.

Bonus round: the only bathroom is upstairs.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
American Ninja Warrior: Home Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Guess you better remember to always climb those starting with the left foot.
The complete lack of any railing around the stairs going down from there is scary enough without the translucent blood-stairs. I wonder if the rest of the house is as avant-garde deathtrap as this.