Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I didn't have to increase my donation to get this year's content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've never had to increase my donation to get bonus content

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Wait, really? poo poo, maybe I should message someone about this then. I just assumed I didn't get a code because of this because of their messaging that puts all the emphasis on "new and increasing donations." Maybe I'll message support.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
yeah do that. they're fast.

i didn't get it either and sent a message on easter and got a response same day.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I'll say, I'm quite pleasantly surprised by Amnesty.

Clint got to play a bunch, which makes me happy! There were some good goofs. Which are what I Crave, and I loved the small interaction between Aubrey and Ned.

I have small concerns about how long Monster of the Week as a game can hold up for the listeners. I fear it might get repetitive kinda fast.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The current monster is neat from what we know, too bad all the boys need is to upgrade their Hookshot and they've got it in the bag.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

If you only want the content you can chill at $5 for ever.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

zimbomonkey posted:

I hate the way the maxfundrive works

I donated $5 a month last year to get the bonus content but if you're already a donor you have to increase your donation by $5 or more in order to get that content. In fact, all the donation rewards are based on how much you increase your donation. So if you donate $20 a month and want to get the same tier of rewards next year, you must effectively double your donation. This means that long time donors are actually paying a lot more for things than newcomers are, while newcomers have access to all the same content that the long time donors do. That's just lovely business and it turned me off the idea of donating at all.

If you really want to not change level but get the bonuses just cancel and sign up immediately again. It's not complicated.

E: that's for the physical things, you should always be getting the podcasts.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
My opinions on Amnesty:

- Clint seems to be finding his direction for Ned, and I think I like it. If his entire contribution to this thing is stupid Scooby Doo monster videos tricking people into ignoring real monsters, I'd be down.
- Aubrey seems toned down, either by accident on account of time, or on purpose in response to criticism. Either way, it seems cool for now.
- Duck is still great and I still have no complaints.
- I think I will like this arc, and the mystery is being set up decently well, but I'm not sure I fully understand or like the system at work here. We'll see.

Thanks for tuning in!

e: Also, MaxFun's security on their bonus stuff used to be bad enough that I was able to access bonus content a year after I had stopped donating. There's no reason that you shouldn't have this year's stuff as a continuing donor. It's what keeps people continuing donating.

e2: I want to be clear that I am now a contributing member again, and they've marginally changed the access, but it's still accessible by continuing donors.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 16, 2018

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm pretty sure that still, the only security they have is assuming non-donors won't find the xml file on the maxfun website.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Travis was interviewed by the AV Club

https://www.avclub.com/travis-mcelroy-is-still-hoping-to-find-the-moment-we-re-1825222331

quote:

I dreamed about being a wizard. I don’t think that counts. My older brother and I share a birthday, and on his 18th birthday, everybody was making a huge fuss out of it. I was 15. I was like, “What’s so important about an 18th birthday?” And my parents said something along the lines of, “Well, when you’re 18, you’ll find out.” And for some reason, my first impulse was, “Oh, that’s when we get our magic powers.” I was 15 years old. I had been reading a lot of Harry Potter, it all made sense to me at the time.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 16, 2018

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

:allears: thank Travis for Travis

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Travis is history's biggest dork.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Update: I was supposed to get access to the contact, I just didn't for whatever reason. They fixed it at some point while I was asleep. So nevermind everything I said on the last page.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
omg I’m not even halfway through Amnesty ep 1 but how is Justin so drat good at this? I love Duck already. Comments have me a little worried about how Travis will play this but I mean, Travis gon’ Travis, he already did the “SHE’S THE MOST REPRESENTATION CHARACTER OF ALL TIME” thing so

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

That's so funny, I just listened to the MBMBaM where he told this story. It was 221 I believe. They're clowning on people who believe in crystals and all tell their stories of believing in magic stuff.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

This just popped up in my youtube recommendations and I'm linking it here because its a Justin McElroy best-of, as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BjkGsc1rMU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

That's so funny, I just listened to the MBMBaM where he told this story. It was 221 I believe. They're clowning on people who believe in crystals and all tell their stories of believing in magic stuff.

...I literally just listened to that episode an hour ago, lmao

I know that saying this isn’t exactly meaningful, interesting content but the sheer weight of that coincidence is kind of freaking my bean

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Don’t think so. You can check a “what podcasts do you listen to” box which allegedly directs the money, but I assume max fun gets the lion’s share no matter what

The last time they gave concrete numbers, it was something like 30% goes to MaxFun and the rest is distributed evenly among the podcasts you check off. Not sure if they do any rebalancing for podcasts with fewer episodes or whatever.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Not Operator posted:

This just popped up in my youtube recommendations and I'm linking it here because its a Justin McElroy best-of, as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BjkGsc1rMU

This video just reminds me of the KILLER peanut butter joke that Justin unleashed in Dallas. I hope y'all get the episode soon. Cause Justin destroyed himself as well as the audience with a joke I shant even try to recreate.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah, like ten of the comments on that video are "Oh man Justin just did one of these in the Dallas show please look forward to it."

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
Is there just no MBMBAM this week?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

AzureFlame posted:

Is there just no MBMBAM this week?

it just went up! http://www.maximumfun.org/my-brother-my-brother-and-me/mbmbam-402-face-2-face-good-hot-dog-syrup

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ohhhhhh boy!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We don’t deserve Clint. :allears:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
First thing I'm noticing is how much cleaner everything sounds. Not surprising at all, but still.....that theater was friggin loud as hell.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How long was the Shmanners opener? I don't listen to Shmanners and it seems like it usually goes an hour, but I can't imagine that as the opening act, they'd go for a full hour. I know that Sawbones openers have been their traditional 30 minutes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kinda-sorta TAZ related: is campaign 1 of Critical Role good? I was considering starting at campaign 2 cause it's a fresher story, and maybe coming back to 1 when I want more, but I dunno if I need to hear 1 before 2.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I believe CR1 and CR2 are completely different stories.

There might be some references, but.. eh, nothing to worry about.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pollyanna posted:

Kinda-sorta TAZ related: is campaign 1 of Critical Role good? I was considering starting at campaign 2 cause it's a fresher story, and maybe coming back to 1 when I want more, but I dunno if I need to hear 1 before 2.

Campaign 1 is worth listening to but it is a massive time investment and you might want to skip the first two arcs because they contain a guy who loving sucks and the show doesn't really get good until he's gone. It's not necessary to get anything in 2 except for some cute references.

Also keep in mind that unlike most actual play stuff they're not really edited at all so you get every bit of the game chatter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea just start Season 2, that's enough of a time investment with 13 episodes of a 3ish hour show, you can do season 1 in bits/best ofs if you dig it.

Critical Role is real good though, yea. Shockingly enough a bunch of creative types who's main income source is playing roles are quite good at this whole 'role playing game' thing. Mercer is a genuinely very good GM and the party is fun. Right now the party makeup is actually pretty interesting with like, two and a half distinct cliques that kinda don't trust each other yet working together. They do a good job of it without feeling like the story is being held up for ~drama hour~.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Thank Travis for Travis, daily reminder.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

amnesty has a dire lack of goofs

the post-balance stuff in general feels like it's trying to be too serious

if it's not 90% loving around with dumb bullshit then what's the point imo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yinlock posted:

Amnesty is technically capable and it's good roleplaying (as far as my non-GM rear end can tell), but...I agree. It feels empty without the goofs and hilarity that the McElroys bring to the table.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Yinlock posted:

I stopped listening to the podcast halfway through the Amnesty mini arc. It was feeling like a chore to me at that point. I do miss hearing Clint though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like all the things everyone hates, including the long monologues, the one-on-ones, the world-building with NPCs and the more dramatic stakes/tone punctuated by tension-diffusing moments of humor. Therefore I thought the episode was very good, and was only missing a Dr. Harris Bonkers, PhD cameo.

I do still think the system offers them less to work with creatively than D&D did in that "art from adversity" sense and Griffin has to work on keeping his railroad-y impulses in check but the boys seem to be acclimatizing to the new season well and will probably continue to get the hang of it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Dolash posted:

I like all the things everyone hates, including the long monologues, the one-on-ones, the world-building with NPCs and the more dramatic stakes/tone punctuated by tension-diffusing moments of humor. Therefore I thought the episode was very good, and was only missing a Dr. Harris Bonkers, PhD cameo.

For what it's worth I think a ton of people like the aspects of the show that you like, and I understand why they lean that way now because it's apparently wildly popular for a podcast.

Edit: I think the show was originally audio recordings of a funny family playing a game, and it evolved into a family doing a audio drama with some game aspects. That's the shift that made me lose interest I guess.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 18, 2018

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
There were some genuinely very funny bits in the last episode. Not like, the Dust bell gag funny, but I laughed.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

the goof of audrey shouting at ned was good as hell

also how justin got real into describing background characters that griffin had to take notes on

also when clint zagged on griffin by doing a double bluff

but sure there’s zero goofs in this arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Maybe this campaign won't have as much wacky hijinx humor as early Balance, but it is certainly ripe for character-driven humor, which will only grow as the game goes on and they have more wiggle room once the story is solidly established. Heck, I think we were seeing that in episode 6.