Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Famitsu scans dropped.

Summary here.

quote:

Release Information:
- Aug 2, 2018 (JPN), 6480 yen (Physical and Digital). Single Player.

Background/Misc Information:
- Meant to be the culmination of series that aims to bring the good things from past games, rather than adding new things.
- The guild travels around via Airship on the land of Lemuria.
- Familiar labyrinths are appearing around, but not everything may be as you remember. Discovering the cause of this may be one of the objectives.
- Various enemies as well as NPCs from different games also return in this game. Voice actor included, and some have newly drawn portraits.
- This is the largest SQ game to date, if we include labyrinths that need not be explored for the completion of the game.
- Mapping/Option/etc: all based on EO5 engine.
- There is World Map where you can select the area to travel to (note: not EO4 Overworld).

4 Difficulty Modes: Picnic, Basic, Expert, and Heroic
- Picnic: For those that want to enjoy the game like you are on picnic.
- Basic: For those that ant to enjoy the adventure
- Expert: For those that have bested many labyrinths and do not fear death
- Heroic: For adventurers that aim above and beyond.

Classes: 18 returning classes, 1 new class
- Selection primarily based on the popularity vote
- Hero class design: jack-of-all-trade.
- EOX Original: Hero (Yuusha)
- EO1/EOU: Protector, Medic, Survivalist, Ronin, Highlander
- EO2: Gunner, War Magus
- EO3: Farmer, Zodiac, Sovereign, Ninja, Shogun
- EO4: Landsknecht, Nightseeker, Imperial, Arcanist
- EO5: Harbinger, Pugilist

Character Customization:
- Old portraits return, with the ability to recolour hair/etc like EO5.
- 60 voices to choose from.
- May change job title at the guild(?)

Guild Specifics:
- Alter Class seems to be discontinued.
- Organize menu: Change Title, Retire, Rest, Dismiss, Change Name, Change Appearance, Change Equipment.
- 60 members seems to be the new limit.

Battle System
- Force Boost/Force Break system is included in favour of drawing out the uniqueness of each class easily.
- Overall UI resembles that of EO5, while Force replaces Union.
- EO5-like stat division is applied; ATK/MAT, DEF/MDF, INT/WIS...

Class Specifics so far:
- Hero: Mirage Sword; some sort of cut attack, followed by creation of some afterimage.
- Ronin: Some sort of new skill(?) called 横一文字 (basically Horizontal Slash). Not the same name as Severing Slash from EOU.
- Zodiac: 3 elemental stars + Etheric Charge returns. New buff skill called Etheric Shine(?).
- War Magus: War Heal, War Heal Line, Displace, Random Disease, Strength Slash, Guard Slash returns.
- Protector: Returns with Shield Protect and Perfect Defense as the Force Boost/Force Break.

DLC:
- So far, free portrait DLC for early adoptors. These are portraits drawn by different artists for different games.
- Shigatake (Dragon's Crown) drawing Farmer, Shigenori Soejima (Persona) drawing Re:Fantasy collaboration(?), Mota (7th Dragon DS) drawing Medic, Shirow Miwa (7th Dragon 2020/VFD) drawing Nightseeker, and Yuki Takahata (Etrian Odyssey Manga) drawing Gunner

werbear posted:

Does enemy recover rate depend on your average LUC in EOV?

If so and if they keep that for EOX Heroes will be so heroic they actively (passively) hinder your party's use of underhanded tactics like ailments and binds...

That was one of the few formulae that wasn't data mined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hope they at least let us switch our portraits so I can have my anime girls in cloaks be super tanks.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
girl with a very fat cat on her head is Vivian, looks like innkeeper

guildmaster looks like Mueller

not sure what the old dude's name is supposed to be, looks like the bartender, WHERE MY MISSY AT ATLUS :argh:

there's a shot of an imperial subclassed as hero, so it's not going to be a fafnir style MC only thing

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Famitsu scans dropped.

Summary here.

That was one of the few formulae that wasn't data mined.

Japan 2nd August 2018? I guess this means the rest of the world, some time between 2019-2020, right?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They've been pretty good at cranking them out in about a year so I'd say we'll see it in 2019 most likely.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Libluini posted:

Japan 2nd August 2018? I guess this means the rest of the world, some time between 2019-2020, right?

it'll probably be way faster than 5 did, the 3ds is a rotting system and the longer they wait the worse their prospects are

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yukari posted:

Did they confirm Legendary Titles? Or is that a hopeful rumor?

Starting at 0 force seems super stupid though.

I wouldn't write it off entirely just yet. Starting at 0 meter means that you no longer have panic buttons at the ready, meaning that you can't trivialize problematic encounter formations right off the bat. Especially after 2U made the escape rates semi-reliable.

Now granted it will be a stupid change if they don't have some sort of conpensation mechanic in place (or just set your meters to 0 upon starting a big fight) for bosses. Because the starting at full meter change was stated to be specifically implemented because they knew players ground up meter before going into big fights on their dev blog. So they would be backpedaling entirely on a QOL change without an alternative solution.

fa-GYO
Mar 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Now that I think about it, Highlander is what everybody that wants charge is going to subclass, isn't it.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

if it's eo4 style subclassing nobody is subbing for charge because it'll suck poo poo

instead you sub for passives

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Also Limitless is sub 2x anyway in EOU. If it's the same in EOX, no one is going to want to sub for that.

fa-GYO
Mar 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Um using charge on your Nightseeker under the assumption that whatever circle is drawn in the mud will go ahead and proc on the dragon at the end of the turn, and it does, and then you slap it for like 10k damage is what eo4 is all about.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

in my experience it was hitting like 20 times with a link before slamming a dump truck of like 20000 elemental damage from an imperial into the target

i wanna say sub charge only broke even with damage magnification which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're relying on skills that you have to line up with a narrow window

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Subclass Charge is pretty much almost a guaranteed DPS loss, because it was affected by diminishing returns in EO4 (Which hit a bunch of skills, not just buffs. Even Shadow Bite was affected by it!) EOU and 2U reworked the system to affect buffs only.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Not to get into ~lore~ but I found it a bit interesting that going along with the generally accepted theory that EO5 takes place on a different planet, they only mentioned Etria, High Lagaard, Armoroad and Tharsis when describing the world of the games in the Famitsu article. I guess there may be some handwave justification for why EO5 character classes appear in the game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Item Getter posted:

Not to get into ~lore~ but I found it a bit interesting that going along with the generally accepted theory that EO5 takes place on a different planet, they only mentioned Etria, High Lagaard, Armoroad and Tharsis when describing the world of the games in the Famitsu article. I guess there may be some handwave justification for why EO5 character classes appear in the game.

Only human classes though, so it's not really that far out there to say that you don't have to come from the EO5 planet to be a Harbinger or Pugilist.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i hope i can make a brony in etrian odyssey cross

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hivac posted:

it'll probably be way faster than 5 did, the 3ds is a rotting system and the longer they wait the worse their prospects are

That and Atlus doesn't have the nightmarish millstone of the Persona 5 localization around their neck anymore.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Kanos posted:

That and Atlus doesn't have the nightmarish millstone of the Persona 5 localization around their neck anymore.

All of that was also right in the middle of them having a massive loc staff shuffle too

G Cyrus
Mar 27, 2010

Item Getter posted:

EO5's ending after beating the 6th stratum boss has Arken and the guild travel to what is heavily implied to be Earth. So there's your justification as to why the EO5 classes show up in EOX.

theshim
May 1, 2012

welp

five fencer fiesta has conquered

one super lucky chain killer turn took off 40% of his health, and the panic lasted the full duration

then he used his last turn on ruinous roar

:fuckoff:

think I'm doing rovers next

please kill me

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

theshim posted:

five fencer fiesta has conquered

Congratulations on turning Tyrant into Swiss cheese.

theshim posted:

think I'm doing rovers next

please kill me

I'm going to send Greenpeace after you for animal abuse!
Five commands in one turn is just too much.

Please report your success.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
5 brownie masurao

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Dr. Fetus posted:

I wouldn't write it off entirely just yet. Starting at 0 meter means that you no longer have panic buttons at the ready, meaning that you can't trivialize problematic encounter formations right off the bat. Especially after 2U made the escape rates semi-reliable.

Now granted it will be a stupid change if they don't have some sort of conpensation mechanic in place (or just set your meters to 0 upon starting a big fight) for bosses. Because the starting at full meter change was stated to be specifically implemented because they knew players ground up meter before going into big fights on their dev blog. So they would be backpedaling entirely on a QOL change without an alternative solution.

I mean, that's the problem I have with it is that you'll just have to grind meter before bosses instead of having the buttons ready to go unless if they do that setting meters to 0 thing but that's just as hacky. Did the screenshot show the meters being at 0% in town? Also MIIIGHT be the case that when you enter a dungeon is when it sets to 100? I really don't know.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
Happy to Zodiac coming back- of the mages, they had my favorite flavor. Kind of a shame we probably won't get the resistance-changing abilities off of Runemaster, though.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Handgun Phonics posted:

Happy to Zodiac coming back- of the mages, they had my favorite flavor. Kind of a shame we probably won't get the resistance-changing abilities off of Runemaster, though.

You can play my EO3 ROM hack and get those! :tipshat:

(It's actually in alpha right now and I'm not ready for a wide release yet)

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Violently Car posted:

You can play my EO3 ROM hack and get those! :tipshat:

(It's actually in alpha right now and I'm not ready for a wide release yet)

I'm just waiting for it to be in not-alpha.

EDIT: I just accidentally beat 5th stratum of EOV. I guess the boss is a lot less scary when you have stack attack debuffs, defense buffs, and enough passive healing.

Handgun Phonics fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 15, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Just beat Hippogryph and unlocked Stabdaddy.

:allears:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

New article and screenshots:
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/713/1713654/

Some key info:
-This is the last Etrian Odyssey game.
-The first labyrinth is not a forest for once! It's those ruins.
-Portrait can be changed any time at the guild. This means that you don't have to make an entirely new character if you wish to do something like make use of the DLC portraits.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dr. Fetus posted:

Some key info:
-The first labyrinth is not a forest for once! It's those ruins.
-Portrait can be changed any time at the guild. This means that you don't have to make an entirely new character if you wish to do something like make use of the DLC portraits.

RIP chances of Etrian Odyssey Untold 3

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Some key info:

Disputing this. From what I can tell, the article just says the same thing they've been saying the entire time: final game in the series on the 3DS.

e: Yeah I just gave that particular sentence multiple passes and I cannot interpret that as anything but the same "final game in the series on this specific console" thing Atlus has been saying since the first reveal. Plus, if it was the final game in the series, I get the feeling that would've been in the Famitsu article or something.

Rea fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 16, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I hope it's not the last one, but EO has always been fairly niche, so I wouldn't be surprised if the series ended sometime in the future. It's a pretty good one to end on at least, but that just means EO3U HD baby!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
No forest as first stratum. Game is dead already. Atlus has hosed up.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
you think they'll do music dlc? I really like the EO3's first sanctum music.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

For all EO3's problems, music wasn't one of them. Calling That Detestable Name is one of the best final boss themes in any game ever, and at least one now-iconic track debuted in 3, The End of Raging Waves.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
EO3U never. :smithicide:

fa-GYO
Mar 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
EO3's biggest problem is that it only had two normal battle themes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Disputing this. From what I can tell, the article just says the same thing they've been saying the entire time: final game in the series on the 3DS.

e: Yeah I just gave that particular sentence multiple passes and I cannot interpret that as anything but the same "final game in the series on this specific console" thing Atlus has been saying since the first reveal. Plus, if it was the final game in the series, I get the feeling that would've been in the Famitsu article or something.

Yeah, that's what it actually says. I have no idea why my translator decided to drop the "for the 3DS" part.

Tired Moritz posted:

you think they'll do music dlc? I really like the EO3's first sanctum music.

Who knows? Depends on what kind of DLC they decide to do. Either FM tracks (assuming they don't straight up reuse the music) or new tracks in general.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I'd be pretty cool with them doing a mix of reused and new tracks, with some FM stuff mixed in (as long as they don't make an entire loving dungeon to the FOE theme again you goddamn idiots :argh:)

so I have detected an early problem with 5 rovers

other than some unreliable binds, I have exactly nothing in the way of defenses

at all

:suicide:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Fencer dlc with 30 alternate fencer sprites including fencer, grandma fencer, dog fencer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

theshim posted:

I'd be pretty cool with them doing a mix of reused and new tracks, with some FM stuff mixed in (as long as they don't make an entire loving dungeon to the FOE theme again you goddamn idiots :argh:)

so I have detected an early problem with 5 rovers

other than some unreliable binds, I have exactly nothing in the way of defenses

at all

:suicide:

You can make the dog eat hits for you right?

And a couple of those potato unions.