Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Star Citizer: Ill-Bespoken Gains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Mukip posted:

I will forgive your :smuggo:, but not forget. When the PU comes out I will invite all the goons who got refunds onto my personal Idris, the Freewinds. There will be no npcs aboard the Freewinds, only goons. The most cynical and embittered will be placed in windowless rooms to perform menial tasks for low pay, whereas the most regretful and self-abasing of refunders will be allowed to do cooler things, such as man the small rear-facing turrets. The backer elite will man the bridge. I will have a fish tank and a pet, and you will not. Bear this in mind when interacting with your future captain lest I set sail for the Fourth Stimpire.

I really need to see a video before i'm prepared to believe you

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Krycek posted:

What does the escape key do in German windows?

it writes long winded blogs

Press [ESC] to audit.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, Kazan reported all the mean people and got like 5 temp bans. No big deal, god knows he is incapable of winning an argument.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Mukip posted:

I will forgive your :smuggo:, but not forget. When the PU comes out I will invite all the goons who got refunds onto my personal Idris, the Freewinds. There will be no npcs aboard the Freewinds, only goons. The most cynical and embittered will be placed in windowless rooms to perform menial tasks for low pay, whereas the most regretful and self-abasing of refunders will be allowed to do cooler things, such as man the small rear-facing turrets. The backer elite will man the bridge. I will have a fish tank and a pet, and you will not. Bear this in mind when interacting with your future captain lest I set sail for the Fourth Stimpire.

I haven't refunded my $35 backer account. Checkmate goonailure :marc:

I only get 12FPS though :negative:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
After the first Derek-induced refund of a Constellation package with physical rewards I had 15 bucks in useless skins in an OG backer account left until September 2016 but even that was more than I wanted Crobber and his scamming band of liars to have :argh:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Looking at that screenshot, I would laugh so hard if it turns out German graphics drivers are involved in this memory leak :allears:

Star Citizen - 40 GB of RAM, but only 40 KB of gameplay

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

They are delivering a pretty great game rather efficiently based on the stacks of dev videos I've watched. Quit your BS :smuggo:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Reading :reddit: bickering in that SANTAball thread got me all nostalgic...

Thanks, GamersNexus

Whoa, multi-crew gameplay in Arena Commander 2.0's Battle Royale, and Co-operative AI Pilots too? Capture The Idris in Arena Commander 3.0? I can't wait :sparkles:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Roberts: 40GB of RAM should be enough for everybody.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
If a game is made that is impossible to run is the game ever truly made?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Phroztee posted:

Piping in with my bi annual post of.. has the chat interface been updated since ‘Chris plays SC while hobosanta watches’?

My expectations of SC hinge on this so much that I think when Crobbler fixes it I’ll consider SC a fully fledged release.

From what I've seen people on Reddit say, chat no longer shows by default. You have to press F12 first, or something like that :shrug:

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Mukip posted:

post your belt plz.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Bofast posted:

Star Citizen - 40 GB of RAM, but only 40 KB of gameplay

^ this

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Mukip posted:

Can I be the commando dancing on the deck and signaling the pilot take off sequence?

Ever since I watched Top Gun, it's what I always wanted to do. Now Chris Roberts has made it possible and he is my hero for that.

DrBall_MD
Oct 11, 2016

You should have mentioned the Dunning-Kruger effect.

It's his favorite effect ever.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
That OpenHouse guy played for quite a long time yesterday: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/250691196

Derek was in twitch chat arguing with any backers that showed up. I found it refreshing to hang out and air concerns freely.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/250691196?t=3h21m24s 3h21m24s - Just an Alpha!?
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/250691196?t=3h50m50s 3h50m50s - I joined the call for a second time; talk about the tracker a little, raffles, backer mentality

Later I got to my real mic and spoke with them more another about all the stuff talked about in 2014 that hasn't even been started, but the stream had already ended.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

DrBall_MD posted:

You should have mentioned the Dunning-Kruger effect.

It's his favorite effect ever.

Someone should ask how his HR department at his fortune 50 company would feel about his online presence.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bofast posted:

Looking at that screenshot, I would laugh so hard if it turns out German graphics drivers are involved in this memory leak :allears:

:laffo:

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016

Mukip posted:

Last time I checked this game was on 100mil funding. Then I checked again and it's closing in on 200mil, holy gently caress. I was about 75% certain that the silly money had already been tapped out back then.

I watched the single player demo and it does seem like they are heading towards feature completeness of single player if nothing else, at their customary snail's pace. The carriers like the Idris are there to act as essentially real-time cutscenes that you can interactively wander about in to receive "cinematic" plot and missions. Then you undock from the carrier in your WW2 space fighter to pew pew, which is the actual meat of the game, interspersed with some occasional awkward fps action. Rinse and repeat for however many missions in the game there are.

Given what I've seen so far in the videos they have finished the Idris and are working on story scenes and missions, so I won't be surprised if they release part 1 of the single player story by the end of the year (probably ends with the Idris being blown up because they still haven't done the missions beyond that).

Please beware of the sand worms when you play

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

kordansk posted:

Someone should ask how his HR department at his fortune 50 company would feel about his online presence.

They're not qualified to judge him. No-one is.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Peter.Quint posted:

They're not qualified to judge him. No-one is.

Well let's get them verified.

DrBall_MD
Oct 11, 2016

kordansk posted:

I'd laugh if it turned out to be Microsoft - the very company that had to bail out Crobbler's last disastrous attempt at creating a game...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kordansk posted:

Sure is a good thing there's no one keeping an eye on this project with a history of doxxing people.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Guys relax, we are only about 10-15 years from consumer grade quantum computers and then we can get 30fps during our fetch quest for space rat teeth or whatever.

_Box of_ space rat teeth.

I'll not have you throwing all that work discovering containerizing goods away. When a time-traveller steals that poo poo and gives it to whichever MMO came up with it first after Roberts history will be set in stone.

The Titanic posted:

I can't imagine how many relationships were put in distress over buying digital ships. I can't imagine how many more will burn when those "investments" go up in digital smoke and they lose everything in a few minutes of playtime.

Beanie Babies.

"Meet the family who lost $100,000 when the Beanie Baby bubble burst"
https://qz.com/114753/meet-the-family-who-lost-100000-when-the-beanie-baby-bubble-burst/

"For years, the Robinson family was “consumed” by the hunt for Beanie Babies. With a collection for each of the five sons, Robinson’s father would spend weekends recruiting anyone he could—his kids, neighborhood kids, and even friends of his wife—to buy new releases for him. Since shops often limited each family to one purchase, he would warn his sons to pretend not to know one another in the store. Once they were home, days were spent cataloguing and packaging the Beanie Babies, which he organized by species and color in plastic cases. “He described it as kind of like a drug addiction,” Robinson told Marketplace."

People outside of the bubble kinda scratched their heads because at the time we were seeing the weird mass hysteria that seemed to grip America every goddamned Black Friday for some dumb toy or another, but this metastasized into the adult population and people were talking investment strategies on something that was over-valued, or a classic 'bubble'. People on the inside entice other people with talk of the perceived value, building in 'fear of missing out' with talk about how much 'value' has risen, with very little movement or liquidity in the market. Same thing happened to house prices before the 2007 collapse; people were mortgaging to the hilt on the basis that values would continue to rise. There was a shock to the gas markets locally to each country, which lopped off a bunch of people on the margins and gave the banks a lot of property they couldn't shift.

Back to Beanies;

"The first signs of the crash came in 1999. One night, when the company announced which set of toys it would “retire,” hordes of Beanie Baby-loving eBay-watchers sat in front of their computers hitting refresh on the auction site, waiting for the attendant rise in prices that greeted previous toys’ retirements. When nothing happened, it triggered the equivalent of a market selloff. The situation was not dissimilar to the dot-com bubble or the housing crash, Bissonnette says. Except the prices never recovered."
http://fortune.com/2015/03/11/beanie-babies-failure-lessons/

By this time people had already gotten out, personally I think the warning sign was when McDonalds did a promotion, and people were _swamping_ stores to get hold of them. Like ordering a hundred happy meals and asking them to hold the food. By that time you're into people bulk-buying based on scarcity based on the single point of resource, or basically having an idea of perceived value.

The parallels between these things are the concept of 'value'. The housing market was largely predicated on a couple of old historical things, such as the value of property always increasing, or that it was a 'safe' investment, despite the introduction of volatility into property due to a weird cargo cult obsession with property ownership shifting the needle on poverty ~ whole other argument, but I'm throwing my lefty propaganda out there with the other stuff. Beanies were largely predicated on people talking about value having a vested interest in raising value, then letting greed take over.

I'm hoping that people can see the parallels on *coin without much prodding, but all three have made people millionaires...mostly on paper, but still millionaires. The problem is that the few millionaires are balanced by people left holding worthless assets. There's a reason why a lot of rich people, and a huge number of beggars, have gambling problems.

I actually suspect that some people are speculating on those discounted starter packs. I don't know the intricacies of the system, but can you melt/transfer or otherwise stockpile those in anticipation of word of mouth increasing demand in the grey market? This would be 'perceived value' rather than 'value'.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mukip posted:

Actually I'd be up some something that balances gases or has some form of logistics gameplay.

They're gonna need another decade to layer the gameplay in over the fidelity, though.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Paid shill or deep cover goon spotted. Take your pick, is funny either way.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:shrug:

:lol:

:pray:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Pixelate posted:

Going by the live build the Idris will blow itself up. More emergent.

The idris' ramp will clip the side of the station dock and instantly explode.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

crisp roberts posted:

Please beware of the sand worms when you play

NOT A JOKE

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Hav posted:

I actually suspect that some people are speculating on those discounted starter packs. I don't know the intricacies of the system, but can you melt/transfer or otherwise stockpile those in anticipation of word of mouth increasing demand in the grey market? This would be 'perceived value' rather than 'value'.

Well, this is the part that doesn't make sense, however you try to defend it.

Supposedly all of these ships will become more expensive with time, whether they are limited or not.

So a base $45 starter package ship will jump to $60 or more? Does this mean backers will hoard them for $45 and undercut CIG once the price raises? Or will the "investment" part be restricted to the higher tier ships?

The theory crumbles down completely when you assume this mess will release some day :lol: and the ships will be purchasable with in-game money. Then they gotta keep their RL value in-game, meaning a $300 ship will be very hard to get. Then watch as chinese farmers destroy your in-game economy and evict all non-whale players.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

JugbandDude posted:

The theory crumbles down completely when you assume this mess will release some day :lol: and the ships will be purchasable with in-game money. Then they gotta keep their RL value in-game, meaning a $300 ship will be very hard to get. Then watch as chinese farmers destroy your in-game economy and evict all non-whale players.

Yeah, this is the major point behind the whole thing. At no time in history has a preordered item accrued value.

Even the dangled carrot of being able to 'rent out' your 'stable' collapses entirely once you realise that the incoming revenue stream is entirely at the whim of CiG's fundraising efforts.

When the end came for Ty, they ended up sitting on 48 lines and a warehouse of a 100 million they couldn't shift. People should pay attention to CiGs business model being entirely about milking whales or bilking fails.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Hav posted:

Yeah, this is the major point behind the whole thing. At no time in history has a preordered item accrued value.

Even the dangled carrot of being able to 'rent out' your 'stable' collapses entirely once you realise that the incoming revenue stream is entirely at the whim of CiG's fundraising efforts.

When the end came for Ty, they ended up sitting on 48 lines and a warehouse of a 100 million they couldn't shift. People should pay attention to CiGs business model being entirely about milking whales or bilking fails.

Tell that to all of the jelly players in warframe that want my Excal Prime.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kordansk posted:

Tell that to all of the jelly players in warframe that want my Excal Prime.

Realise the value of that before people realise that they're playing the gaming equivalent of anime.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Hav posted:

Realise the value of that before people realise that they're playing the gaming equivalent of anime.

Too much effort - it's linked to my main gmail account, I wouldn't even know how to change emails to sell the account.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

You don't get it do you ? They've been focusing on chore mechanics for a while now. Look at the hundreds of hours of fidelicious gameplay you can already enjoy today ?

Nyast fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 16, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Mukip posted:

I watched the single player demo and it does seem like they are heading towards feature completeness of single player if nothing else, at their customary snail's pace. The carriers like the Idris are there to act as essentially real-time cutscenes that you can interactively wander about in to receive "cinematic" plot and missions. Then you undock from the carrier in your WW2 space fighter to pew pew, which is the actual meat of the game, interspersed with some occasional awkward fps action. Rinse and repeat for however many missions in the game there are.

Given what I've seen so far in the videos they have finished the Idris and are working on story scenes and missions, so I won't be surprised if they release part 1 of the single player story by the end of the year (probably ends with the Idris being blown up because they still haven't done the missions beyond that).

It’s possible. Chris did say in the director commentary of the pre-Alpha WIP slice that they’d be wrapping it up this year... although he’s said similar things for several years running. FPS AI is something they’ve faked in former slices and from the SQ42 one it looked either faked again or flailing.

Many backers have assumed (and reasonably) that Dogfighting would be the central gameplay attraction of a next generation Wing Commander reboot. The vertical slice was over an hour long and featured nearly none of it. The corridor combat had stealth mannequin takedowns no more lively than they showed a year and a half prior in the Homestead demo. Both forms of combat, ship or FPS, will depend completely on the sophistication of AI we’ve yet to see any intelligence in...

The alternative scenario is that Squadron really is just an FMV experience after all. That Roberts really has no interest in the gameplay and just wants players to grind through a Choose Your Own Adventure movie, get attached to actors and muddle through boring pew pew here and there in route to winning Old Man’s gruff love so they will cry at the end when sacrifices are made (watched) and narrative stakes get raised (because death / lizardmen / WAR!) and the cliffhanger forces them to want to pay more for the next reel immediately and Roberts can spend 6 more years on Squadron 42 pt.2.

If combat really is as unimportant to Roberts as the slice suggested (and there really is almost none on display) then wrapping it up with a non-stop crunch on branched narrative cinematics (20 hours worth?) would account for a huge amount of their remaining work. If it is to be an actual game though, well, it really may still be early days.

Roberts is surely torn between two contradictory needs. For financial reasons he may need to release Squadron sooner to bring with it some additional revenues not tied to ship sales, yet for reputational reasons he may need to be given as much time as possible to postpone a critical backlash against a rushed (:lol:) FMV title that didn’t have time to finish the gameplay stuff.

I’d assume what we’re seeing now — a rush to get Squadron together, finally — indicates financial pressures are real enough to finally be felt by the Roberts Troika. Yet it’s still very opaque and confusing, especially as Squadron is apparently now not going to be separate from SC just an in-game experience. One wonders if the Crytek lawsuit may close and lock a door to some future hopes for reversal of their reversal on a retail release.

One way or another I do hope the world is not deprived of seeing Roberts vision for a next generation Wing Commander and Sandi’s vision for her one time shot to share screen time with Hollywood royalty. Good, bad or disasterous, it would be a tragedy if Squadron 42 didn’t quite make it to a releasable state before the end and instead became known as Squandered $42 million instead...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nyast posted:

You don't get it do you ? They've been focusing on chore mechanics for a while now. Look at the hundreds of hours of fidelicious gameplay you can already enjoy today ?

Is there a rough outline, sketch or vertical slice of the salvaging, mining, repair or refueling gameplay?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hav posted:

Is there a rough outline, sketch or vertical slice of the salvaging, mining, repair or refueling gameplay?

I think the vertical slice for Mining is a little like this (only sans fun and AI.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Oh did WTF get a cat?