Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pararoid posted:

I also took an embarrassingly long time to notice this. I think maybe it's a console-style thing?

All versions have it, it's just one of those things that was covered in the tutorial for Save The World that no one plays nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
It was over a month before I overheard someone talking about those circles

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
so stuff with a scope has bullet drop and travel time while stuff without doesnt right? felt weird to be landing hitscan shots on someone i could barely see with a rifle when i know that trying to take the shot with a sniper probably would just result in nothing but net for me (i am not good at sniping moving targets)

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

quite stretched out posted:

so stuff with a scope has bullet drop and travel time while stuff without doesnt right? felt weird to be landing hitscan shots on someone i could barely see with a rifle when i know that trying to take the shot with a sniper probably would just result in nothing but net for me (i am not good at sniping moving targets)

yes except the scoped assault rifle, which is still hitscan. also i’m pretty sure the different sniper rifles all have different bullet speed/dropoff rate too, which makes them even more of a pain to learn

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
ah ive only ever gotten the scoped assault rifle at the start of the game where every engagement is knife fight range so it hasnt been particularly useful for me yet

e: while talking weapons are there any trap options? ive had a very mixed experience with the minigun so far and im not sure if i just havent worked it out yet or if theres a better use for light bullets

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
the long distance purple crossbow headshot, when pulled off, is a thing of beauty

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

quite stretched out posted:

ah ive only ever gotten the scoped assault rifle at the start of the game where every engagement is knife fight range so it hasnt been particularly useful for me yet

e: while talking weapons are there any trap options? ive had a very mixed experience with the minigun so far and im not sure if i just havent worked it out yet or if theres a better use for light bullets

I feel like the minigun is good for blowing away peoples walls/towers, but not much else, maybe I'm just bad though.

as far as light bullets, I don't think anything useful past the early game uses them other than the minigun, which is of dubious usefulness in my opinion.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 16, 2018

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
the minigun is probably the only weapon you can't outbuild

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the minigun will take out walls, but it's slow dps against actual players, so smart people will take out an assault rifle and just plug you in the head while youre slowed down from firing

it's real nice in duos/squads since you can have other people deal damage while the minigun guy takes out fortifications, but i think it's terrible in solo

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea minigun really exposes you. Every time I tried to use it I got shut down by a sniper rifle or AR.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah imo it’s a “noob trap” with once in a blue moon use case for demolitions.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I feel like in a competitive scene, the minigun would be way better. Especially since the minigun is already a lot better in squads than in solo/duos.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm back to enjoying PvE a little bit, but only if I have people to play with. The new QoL changes are really good and they're just handing out Vbucks, experience, and Weapon Schematics compared to what we ground for. Perks are better too.

New horde map is fun as well, I had a really good time double jumping from base to base to take care of the idiots I was playing with.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The minigun sucks

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The minigun is useful has a tool to punish players that build something that can't defend it (very rare, niche usage).

Two possible solutions:
- Remove the movement restrictions, and it comes with 600 bullets (his own ammo).
- Cause some suppression effect, making the aim of people off while they get shot.

I don't think it's worth it, minigun is not how people want to play the game. Minigun when it works, feel cheap, when don't works, feel bad.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Mini gun generally only works against bad players, and even then not consistently. Way too niche to be worth using a slot that could be utilized by a different weapon, grenades or health.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I got minigun killed yesterday. It was embarrassing. :ohdear:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It seems like there are a lot of trap weapons in the game. In my person opinion:

- SMG: too much spread to use at medium range, but not as effective as shotgun in close.
- Literally any pistol: I absolutely just walk by purple pistols all the time.
- Pump action shotgun: yes it does 30 more damage than the combat one, but the rate of fire is way lower. If you can land every shot every time it's a beast, but otherwise it is outclassed by the combat shotgun in every way. It also only does 95 damage re wiki, so even a perfect non-headshot requires a double tap.
- Minigun: see above
- Grenade launcher: just my personal opinion, but because these don't explode on contact they are very situational.

I was going to say scoped assault rifle, but I didn't know that it was hitscan and not projectile like the sniper rifle, which can make up for it's terrible damage.

Also, rarity seems to have very little effect on stats? Looking on wikis it seems that it's only a minor bump. Granted any bit helps, but focusing on rarity seems not that effective unless you are breaking some sort of damage gate.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

All the guns suck. Use your pickaxe noobs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It seems like there are a lot of trap weapons in the game. In my person opinion:

- SMG: too much spread to use at medium range, but not as effective as shotgun in close.
- Pump action shotgun: yes it does 30 more damage than the combat one, but the rate of fire is way lower. If you can land every shot every time it's a beast, but otherwise it is outclassed by the combat shotgun in every way. It also only does 95 damage re wiki, so even a perfect non-headshot requires a double tap.
- Grenade launcher: just my personal opinion, but because these don't explode on contact they are very situational.

I was going to say scoped assault rifle, but I didn't know that it was hitscan and not projectile like the sniper rifle, which can make up for it's terrible damage.

Also, rarity seems to have very little effect on stats? Looking on wikis it seems that it's only a minor bump. Granted any bit helps, but focusing on rarity seems not that effective unless you are breaking some sort of damage gate.

Tac SMGs and Grenade Launchers are extremely good, in my opinion. Purple or legendary silenced pistols can be made of use, especially legendary. Deagles too, with first shot accuracy - rest of them strictly as a first weapon in a pinch though.

Also, pump shotgun headshot damage is 225 and 238 for common and uncommon variants respectively.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Silenced pistol is decent to hold on to if you don’t have a better alternative, especially since you can medium-long distance plink at someone without them knowing where it’s coming from. Also good for destroying cover without giving away your position.

Deagle is fun for headshots medium-long distance, but again generally if you don’t need that slot for something else or you’re just screwing around

Pump shotty>tac shotty all day. You can one-pump headshot someone with full health and shields. Decent meta is to hold on to one of each. First shot with the pump, then switch to the tac if they’re not already dead

Grenade launcher is better than rockets IF you learn how to use it effectively. Rockets are slow and one shot reload, which means generally are ineffective against even decent players. Grenade launcher can take down an entire base very quickly, with no chance of the other player building up in time. Best bet against a grenade launcher is to abandon base (if your opponent uses it well)

Scoped AR is great for long distance if you don’t have a sniper, but it’s lower damage and low rate of fire mean it’s an after thought compared to any other rifle.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Grenade launcher is a gun you figure out way late and then it clicks and the launcher and every grenade become extremely accessible and dangerous

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So I spent a decent amount of time chasing challenges yesterday. Stuff like "Kill 3 players in Tomato Town" and various treasure maps.

I then forced myself into combat and have pretty much doubled my kills. I'm still dying out in the top 10-15 but I'm getting 3 kills a game as opposed to one..

I've gotten much better at gunplay. I'm used to the speed of people falling and bunny hopping so I know how to time my shots. I also made sure to get a gun and test fire it so I understood it's rate of fire and recoil.

This game is a lot of fun.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 16, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also, pump shotgun headshot damage is 225 and 238 for common and uncommon variants respectively.

I kind of subscribe to the idea that high skill/high effect weapons are not always the best, even at high levels of play. If I can one-shot a target through the head 40% of the time but can double tap them 80% of the time, it is usually better to go for the latter, just because introducing more possibilities for error tends to create more errors. Granted the better you get at clicking heads the better off you will be with those kinds of weapons, but especially at close range I have been more the spray and pray type rather than the quickscoper, in a sense. This is doubly true for this game where people come at you from all directions, including vertical, so a lot of times its more like shooting skeet rather than a ground battle.

But I am also a scrub so :shrug:

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 16, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I only carry c-4 so i can ineffectually try to blow people up.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mr Hootington posted:

I only carry c-4 so i can ineffectually try to blow people up.

Got killed twice last night by c4, the first was pretty annoying because the guy had 10hp left, the second time I was in a shotgun battle with a dude in titled and a 3rd guy tossed some c4 from a roof and killed us both.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What the hell is with all the C4 loot? Like the way people move in the game I can barley seeing it being effective.

I guess if you camp it out l???

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

A Man and his dog posted:

What the hell is with all the C4 loot? Like the way people move in the game I can barley seeing it being effective.

I guess if you camp it out l???

It is great for kicking the base out of people's skyscrapers

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
poo poo. Never thought of that.

Thanks.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

A Man and his dog posted:

poo poo. Never thought of that.

Thanks.

Yeah C4 is not really meant for use against people, but god drat does it blow up buildings (static and playermade) really loving well. Solo it has dubious usefulness (I'd rather have grenades, launcher or a gun) but squads I can see having someone carry it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I've only played solo and so far I've given up on using a slot for grenades of c4.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
C4 is great for when people are chasing you.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

C4 is great for early game house battles when an enemy thinks you’re going to peek a door but you blow up the walls and floor instead.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
C4 is for trolling people by climbing over the boxes in the pawn shop of tilted, setting them on the chest that spawns under the stairs, and waiting for some poor sap to swing by.

You won't kill them but if you hide behind the box in the corner you can 1 shot them after and if you do it in time you can feel their despair from seeing their loot explode in their face.

P.s. this is not a winning strategy.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
The minigun is good for scattering people. A lot of teams will simply scatter when you're firing at them with it.
C4 is fun as poo poo to lay traps with, especially when you know you're being followed. I've also used it very well many times as a distraction, I'm running around to the left side of your fort while your team is rushing towards the right side where I just set off some explosives. Pistols? I will destroy you with a hand cannon from miles away.
I'm waiting for remote control car bombs to really start some annoying poo poo.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's pretty much the best gun in the game at the right range or with proper bouncing off the floor/ramps. Not that I'm ever happy to see one in the first chest of a game but i will always pick one up over the rocket launcher late game - grenade launcher can't really be outbuilt. I've wiped plenty of teams from complete safety with the nade launcher.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Everyone is requesting all these bug fixes and really all I want is for them to remove using PvE vbucks in Battle Royale so they can change all the cosmetics to actual reasonable prices.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Kiranamos posted:

Everyone is requesting all these bug fixes and really all I want is for them to remove using PvE vbucks in Battle Royale so they can change all the cosmetics to actual reasonable prices.

That will never happen with how much money they are making.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

As a new player I really like the crossbow, mainly for the fact that like 80% of the time when I'm firing other guns it is like the horn of gondor and I get flanked or double flanked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I can't aim for poo poo with the crossbow...

Like cool weapon cause of the ammo but drat.