Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel like Split Paw never got its due. There's a weird ceremony you can observe as the one gnoll clan executioner kills the former leader.

On Live (and even TLPs) Split Paw is super popular (once the revamp goes in). I always liked it as gnolls. Apparently there was an even earlier version where it was like a Blackburrow level place.

I always felt CT was underused. Maybe it has a lovely ZEM, or not enough loot.

Permafrost never sees any grouping love, but it's hardly an unused zone.

Qeynos Catacombs are fun to explore - especially without a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

xZAOx posted:

On Live (and even TLPs) Split Paw is super popular (once the revamp goes in). I always liked it as gnolls. Apparently there was an even earlier version where it was like a Blackburrow level place.

I always felt CT was underused. Maybe it has a lovely ZEM, or not enough loot.

Permafrost never sees any grouping love, but it's hardly an unused zone.

Qeynos Catacombs are fun to explore - especially without a map.

I remember it being a black burrow level place. Unfortunately it was too dangerous to get to. Also, the corpse recovery there is turbo hosed and the zone is pretty mazelike.

CT was hella used in vanilla when rubicite still dropped, as that was basically the only 'set' upgrade from bronze.

Permafrost has a ton of good vanilla loot but I so far away. Also clerics and wizards and shaman.

Befallen is a zone that probably doesn't get done as much because shadowknights with harmtouch suck. Also, keys.

Najena is a really weird zone with keys and lots of mobs with damage shields and what seems like really low mob density. But it was super camped before jboots got moved to a quest. I played with an IRL crew based out of a LAN Cafe in 99 and blwe basically camped it for a week straight to get everyone jboots.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Need to do Befallen. Seems like a good zone for a Paladin anyways.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Ehud posted:

Need to do Befallen. Seems like a good zone for a Paladin anyways.

Bring a rogue. The guys who drop the keys have placeholders on ~24 minute spawns. It's also entirely possible to fall through an illusionary floor and end up behind the last door with no way to open it.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Runny-eye is underutilized too, I have to imagine.

I tagged some more officers yesterday, so if anyone needs an invite do a / all "unknown guild" and chances are there's someone on who can invite.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Befallen was always super popular in my experience.

Najena was one that a lot of people didn't go to in my days either though, yeah, but people would run specific kill groups to get certain items and focus items and quests, though.

Runny-eye is awesome, but yeah, it's super dangerous. Some great loot there though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel like Split Paw never got its due. There's a weird ceremony you can observe as the one gnoll clan executioner kills the former leader.

Oh wow, I never knew about that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ehud posted:

I kind of want to visit some of the weirdest/most obscure dungeons in the game.

Is there anything weirder than that Kerra Isle place on Erud?

Lol have you guys seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KUkfYfvZ6M

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ehud posted:

That’s a good call. I’ve never been past the first area. I think it’s just because no one wants to do corpse runs out there :chloe:

To be fair, not many appropriately leveled groups can really handle the dense mob placement and extreme number of wizard and cleric mobs in split paw.

A fast as dead dungeons worth exploring, maybe add Solusek A to that list. Also Najena.

The Warrens is fun and heretics faction is legit really great to have, especially for soloers. Heretics accounts for basically all npcs in Paineel. The skeleton guards drop fine steel and the lowest leveled ones are like 22, and they also don't give you negative faction hits for killing them.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Michael's stuff is great. His "EQ Mysteries" videos are everything that made EQ great. I'll link some of my favs:

EQ Mysteries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAyxdS1SSoo
Miragul's Highway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knbfiDzYdbQ
Beholder's Maze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMCodGntNxg
Chessboard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V93rRHnZSu0
More EQ Mysteries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfy_3Hh_m4

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Beholder is the most underutilized "dungeon" IMO, but it also sucks. Kerra Isle is pretty interesting by comparison and people did group and quest there on P99 long ago.

Runnyeye, Paw, Befallen, and Perma nearly always had groups going on in 2009-2010. Najena didn't always have groups but it had tons of people camping jboots, travelers packs, and FBRs. CT and SolA were among the busiest zones and had a mixture of leveling groups and high level farmers/people waiting on groups in Guk/SolB. I would guess people still PL in SolA even if it doesn't get used a lot for groups anymore.

It's bad that we're getting close to P99's 10th anniversary, because I'm starting to get as nostalgic for early pre-Kunark on here as I am for real 1999 EQ.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

aparmenideanmonad posted:

It's bad that we're getting close to P99's 10th anniversary, because I'm starting to get as nostalgic for early pre-Kunark on here as I am for real 1999 EQ.

Well go roll on Corinav before Kunark comes out :)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

xZAOx posted:

Well go roll on Corinav before Kunark comes out :)

Don't give Daybreak Games money.

Edit: For necromancers: How much damage do you have to personally do to a mob before the pet stops eating half of your exp?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Definitely going to check those videos out, I loved how mysterious everything seemed when I played originally. I had real Ideas of the kinds of amazing and dangerous things in the Ocean of Tears you could find if you explored, and the distant zones like Lake Rathe were enchanting with the weird fish that was a princess.

I was just a kid and invested so much thought and imagination into what were almost certainly just broken quests and unfinished content.

But then the freaking firepot room is real, so who knows, maybe the design team did know what they were doing in some cases.

Re: Split Paw, yeah, the original zone were Blackburrow level gnolls but a different clan. When they revamped, the story is a tougher clan moving in and executing the king of the old clan, an eerie ritual that continues to this day. I forget if the third revamp is in the P99 timeline.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Anyone soloed ice burrowers in WW before on something other than a charming chanter/Druid? I was thinking of using either a 60 bard to chant it to death, or a 55 Necro with a rogue pet and aggro kite it. I realize both will take awhile, but I’m fairly patient.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Pratan posted:

Anyone soloed ice burrowers in WW before on something other than a charming chanter/Druid? I was thinking of using either a 60 bard to chant it to death, or a 55 Necro with a rogue pet and aggro kite it. I realize both will take awhile, but I’m fairly patient.

What do you charm in WW as a druid to kill ice burrowers? Asking for a friend

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Meatgrinder posted:

What do you charm in WW as a druid to kill ice burrowers? Asking for a friend

Rhinos, mammoths, or hounds, then aggro kite the worm while the pet murders it.

I am mostly looking to kill these for a skin for my monk.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

You can use either a bard or necro sure. It will take forever have fun.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Alternately, get a wizard pal with a tflux staff to aggro kite one while you beat the poo poo out if it with your monk. Flop with FD periodically to help with aggro.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

The monk is only 47 and has terrible gear. My 58 rogue is mostly naked but has her epic and a decent offhand weapon.

WTB a wizard buddy to aggro kite these. Must have at least dubious CoV faction, j boots/sow pots, and a staff of temporal flux.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

DeathSandwich posted:

Don't give Daybreak Games money.

Edit: For necromancers: How much damage do you have to personally do to a mob before the pet stops eating half of your exp?

All pets work the same way, you need to deal at least 50% of the damage to get full xp when solo. When you're grouped, you get full xp regardless of pet damage (I'm not sure if your group member(s) need to be in xp range for it to count).

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
Qeynos Catacombs are great if you have never done them. Starting a new character in Qeynos and doing all those quests and fighting over there instead of going to the EC tunnel and twinking an alt is pretty fun. Besides the gnoll fangs quest, the bandit sashes are great xp and bronze weapons, but the real sleeper quests are the rabid wolf and bear hides that give awesome xp and plat as a reward. Qeynos has lots of quests and character to it; if you have only done Freeport area as a newb I would suggest Qeynos if you start as a race/class near there (this includes Barbarians & Erudites too).

The iskar area can be a lot of fun as a newb too. Of the five classes iskar can be; warriors & SKs will be rare, you will see lots of monks/shamans/necros. Doing field of Bone -> Kurns -> Warsilk Woods from 1-30 you will meet people, iskar necro's will learn how to patch heal, and you will earn better gear then the people doing Blackburrow or Crushbone.

Auld Lang Syne seems to have a stream of new recruits who want to relive the classic experience of having to earn items vs finding them cheap in EC. I wonder if the ALS alt community increase has caused the EC tunnel prices to really rock bottom but i guess a 10 year old server there has to be hundreds of any give item rotting away on someone's alt. ALS does "raids" of Runnyeye because it does seem hard to break into. ALS also seems to form up Permafrost groups along with guk, sol a, and nejena groups.

I have been leveling a rogue in Sol A this past week and find a good amount of people, lots of monks, and can recruit fairly easy from EC,WC, and people sitting LFG in HHK. I would not call Sol A a dead dungeon, much like guk top, those dungeons just go threw surges of players. P99 is not very consistent in some regards; when you pay monthly to play a game; then you play that game. People come to p99 start up a character and can usually get level 20. The people who the game click with get 30+ but at anytime a new game like Fortnite or PUBG or maybe Red Dead Revolver 2 people go and play those games. Maybe the come back and grind a bit more b/c EQ has a strange appeal and draw.

Where p99 is really dead is in Kunark and Velious outside spots and dungeons. I ran that rogue to Frontier Mts and no one was at the giant fort. With kunark not being as convient to travel around people don't go there. So places like Nurga, Droga, & Kaesora sit pretty much empty. Outside spots like Lake of Ill Omen, Frontier Mts, & Burning Woods use to have popping group spots. No one seems to hunt Rygor Orcs in Velious when I remember the orc camp being pretty popular outside of the Crystal Caverns. Maybe that was in a timeline when there was a PoK book nearby, those PoK books really did open up the game for people to move around and not be scared it would take forever to do a corpse run.

seems like people mainly stick to Crushbone -> Unrest -> MM -> CoM -> KC and b/c so many people are either (a) scared to go off the beaten path (b) honestly only don't know any other path (c) are not social enough to form groups to get things accomplished. I have meet many a 50+ that complain about raid guilds and not having their epic. If they would just make friends they could accomplish things.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pratan posted:

The monk is only 47 and has terrible gear. My 58 rogue is mostly naked but has her epic and a decent offhand weapon.

WTB a wizard buddy to aggro kite these. Must have at least dubious CoV faction, j boots/sow pots, and a staff of temporal flux.

Were this but 15 years ago on live I could have helped you. Sorry goon friend.

So out of curiosity, if I were to play with my brother in a duo, would a mage/necro duo be much more effective over each of them running solo? The mage could feed the necro summoned stuff for the skeleton and the necro could provide fear so the mage could summon a fire pet for higher damage and not have to worry about chain summoning pets. If neither gets the -50% experience penalty due to pets it seems like it would be easy to run pretty lean and conserve a lot of mana to keep pulls rolling.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

Were this but 15 years ago on live I could have helped you. Sorry goon friend.

So out of curiosity, if I were to play with my brother in a duo, would a mage/necro duo be much more effective over each of them running solo? The mage could feed the necro summoned stuff for the skeleton and the necro could provide fear so the mage could summon a fire pet for higher damage and not have to worry about chain summoning pets. If neither gets the -50% experience penalty due to pets it seems like it would be easy to run pretty lean and conserve a lot of mana to keep pulls rolling.

Yes. Mage especially struggles with downtime while maintaining that 51% damage for no XP hit. Pet duos are good and pet groups are insane. You can faceroll so much stuff with so little effort, and not having to worry about the XP penalty is amazing. Fear kiting is a viable strat, but you'll be surprised how much stuff you can simply tank and spank at the earlier levels when mage heals are still pretty legit and the necro can spot heal. Add more pet classes for DPS, ench/bard for haste/mana, or any charming class for a lot of DPS. Just refuse to let anyone join who wants to melee because then you'll need healers, and that poo poo's lame (shaman is a good add if you want some more security on heals, plus they have doggo pet - slows are good at higher levels too to prevent frequent pet resummoning).

Pet raids were even a thing for a while. When sky was opened up on P99 (pre-kunark, hilariously hard mobs for level 50 hp and mana pools in vanilla gear) the predominant strat for clearing the higher islands was to simply log in mage alts and chain-pet them into the ground, typically with 2+ guilds worth of people. Mage pets were also OP back then in a lot of ways that have since been fixed, but it's still a legit strat and hilariously zergy.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I would rather just keep killing than min/maxing the exp when leveling up my mage. Another pet was ~basically~ another nuke.

The magician is my 4th choice for a caster, but when I leveled one it was really fun to break dungeon camps solo. An enchanter can swiss army knife camps, but a mage really has to work it.

It was a fun challenge, and I recommend it!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I hit 50 with my warrior last night and I think i need my OT hammer now. Found it requires no grinding of sarnak braids if you have some money to rent a puppet string to charm the skeleton.

I hear a normal use of the click is about 1-1.5 k per click (which is super profitable since the string has 10 uses and it costs 860 to recharge) and I'm willing to pay or trade a shrunken gobbo earring + pp for the chance. Its so much more worth to have the OT hammer than being trapped in howling stones with no option but clicking my one use hat (which costs 180 to recharge )

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

EVIL Gibson posted:

I hit 50 with my warrior last night and I think i need my OT hammer now. Found it requires no grinding of sarnak braids if you have some money to rent a puppet string to charm the skeleton.

I hear a normal use of the click is about 1-1.5 k per click (which is super profitable since the string has 10 uses and it costs 860 to recharge) and I'm willing to pay or trade a shrunken gobbo earring + pp for the chance. Its so much more worth to have the OT hammer than being trapped in howling stones with no option but clicking my one use hat (which costs 180 to recharge )

IIRC if you have and enchanter or necro friend, they can just charm it and let you turn it in.

If you are a race that can sneak you can also sneak up on him and do it.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Pretty sure you have to be able to charm him yourself for it to work, hence why you have to use Puppet Strings.

If enchanters or necros could 'sell' OT hammers they'd be much much cheaper.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

EVIL Gibson posted:

I really should get some of these for my chars. If you do find someone let me know how it goes and who. I'll probably buy a few at least.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Most guilds that have a set will usually do it for free/cost if you join them, the most casual one to join would probably be kittens I guess.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Most guilds that have a set will usually do it for free/cost if you join them, the most casual one to join would probably be kittens I guess.

Ya but I'd have to quit UG.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

IIRC if you have and enchanter or necro friend, they can just charm it and let you turn it in.

If you are a race that can sneak you can also sneak up on him and do it.

suuma posted:

Pretty sure you have to be able to charm him yourself for it to work, hence why you have to use Puppet Strings.

If enchanters or necros could 'sell' OT hammers they'd be much much cheaper.

Yeah, you have to be amiable. Sneaking gets you indiff which is enough to turn in braids but not enough to do the hammer quest.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
so I finally hit 49 on Haughty and I'm working toward being able to craft Ice Comet.

would you guys mind checking your banks to see if you have any Rune of Frost or Rune of the Astral? I've got 3x Frost right now but 0 astral. Research at 160, almost there!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

cmdrk posted:

so I finally hit 49 on Haughty and I'm working toward being able to craft Ice Comet.

would you guys mind checking your banks to see if you have any Rune of Frost or Rune of the Astral? I've got 3x Frost right now but 0 astral. Research at 160, almost there!

The tarton quest let's you exchange the tarton staff and eye back to get a rune of astral and frost back as a reward. You need to go to 8 locations in the world

Including under the reanimated hand in guk (get double invis/invis undead cast on you) and close to miragual in everfrost peaks.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
indeed, thanks. I've got the Staff of the Wheel (Tarton's staff) since it's a nice 1HB (+10 INT / +10 Mana? hell yeah), but I'm kinda considering doing that quest again if all else fails. Frost runes seem to be easy to come by but Astral seems to be a bit harder.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

You can't combine a quested component with a dropped one. Just an fyi.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

I'm 99% sure I have some on my wizard. Look for Saryon online tomorrow afternoon, or after 8pm Monday.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

FayGate posted:

You can't combine a quested component with a dropped one. Just an fyi.

oh poo poo. great to know, thanks!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Holy poo poo I forgot how expensive spells were for the non-bardy classes. Me and my brother's iksar Nec/Shm duo are just on the verge of hitting level 8 and I can afford exactly 3 of my level 8 spells.

This might be a good excuse to level a druid or carry my bard into some solo low level money spots like OOT Gargoyles or Wisp hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
When in doubt, sell bone chips.