Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

bike tory posted:

Unrelated but I'm playing Seige for the first time and they really stepped up the difficulty from BG1. I tore through everything in BG1 without issue and then got my rear end handed to me by the second fight in SOD. The fact that you don't get to use Imoen boned me because she was my main mage and also had all my good wands on her.

Isn't there a chest with all Imoen's stuff in it? (assuming that wasn't added by one of my million mods)

edit: oh wait you don't get that until AFTER the first dungeon in SoD, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Is the phone version of Planescape worth picking up?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I find the bard discussion kinda funny. I have never used a bard in any infinity engine game other than for quests - such as Skye and evil bard whose name escapes me or Haer-Dalis - and even then just to see how the quest goes.

Following SA's penchant for Blades I tried using one and it sucked. It probably picks up after you get spells or something. Never played enough to find out.

I've always found the bard NPCs grating and the class underpowered. Not to open the can of worms that is the basic idea of guy bringing a lute to a sword and fireball fight and how dumb it may or may not be.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Are there like, ANY places that are considered safe to rest at in Planescape that isn't just the designated rest points/inns? I swear i've tried every screen in Sigil so far to no good effect.

Not many, no.

I actually like this - it means adventuring actually has a sense of danger, and makes finding a suitable resting spot actually a valuable find.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The thing about War Chant of the Sith is that in theory it doesn't really help because it's too slow to make a difference in battle and outside of battle you could just rest anyway. But in practice you aren't going to rest and heal to full after every single fight, so in practice it actually does help a lot. By level 10+ you don't think twice about going into a minor battle with 20-30 HP missing, but then consider how often your characters drop down to around 20-30HP even against trash monsters. Without war chant you'd be having to pull them back, heal or otherwise interrupt your damage with them well before then.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

bike tory posted:

The thing about War Chant of the Sith is that in theory it doesn't really help because it's too slow to make a difference in battle and outside of battle you could just rest anyway. But in practice you aren't going to rest and heal to full after every single fight, so in practice it actually does help a lot. By level 10+ you don't think twice about going into a minor battle with 20-30 HP missing, but then consider how often your characters drop down to around 20-30HP even against trash monsters. Without war chant you'd be having to pull them back, heal or otherwise interrupt your damage with them well before then.

This is more or less the same as my view. Skald song is better on paper, whereas in practice I prefer the War Chant of Sith. I think it's more practical for the kind of game that IWD is, and anything that means I have to cast buffs less often is A-OK in my books.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

cigaw posted:

Following SA's penchant for Blades I tried using one and it sucked. It probably picks up after you get spells or something. Never played enough to find out.

You didn't even make it to level 2? :confused:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
lol

Blades rule! One of the funnest and most versatile classes in the game

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I've never played a Blade in IWD but by all means they should be very strong in it.

Their problem is that they plateau when they reach mid to high levels while the overall very similar Fighter/Mage multi just keeps getting stronger. But you don't get to the point where that becomes a noticeable issue in IWD.

Probably can't pickpocket well enough to get the Rings of Free Action even with buffs but at least they'll get the Bard-specific dialogue options, some of which are worth a solid amount of XP as far as I remember.

e: Blades should also really like all of the buffs in IWD. Even with the Bard's fast leveling their THAC0 is poo poo but they get a lot of attacks. So they'll do well with the Emotion spells and Chant/Prayer/Recitation.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 16, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
You guys are just confusing me more!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

e: Blades should also really like all of the buffs in IWD. Even with the Bard's fast leveling their THAC0 is poo poo but they get a lot of attacks. So they'll do well with the Emotion spells and Chant/Prayer/Recitation.

or the skald's song... wink wink

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

Just play with 6 fighters. Bow fighter, staff fighter, two-handed sword fighter, mace and shield fighter, dual wielding swords fighter and spear fighter.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

bongwizzard posted:

if I had to make a party to trivialize IWD without too much effort right now this is what I'd go with:

Berserker, Totemic Druid, Sorcerer as a core.
Fourth character would be a a Blade, Fighter/Illusionist or maybe even Fighter/Mage/Thief. I don't know how well a F/M/T will do if you don't play with Insane difficulty enemy spawns, though.
Fifth would be some multi- or dual-classed Thief. Swashbuckler->Fighter, Swashbuckler->Cleric, Cleric/Thief, Fighter/Thief, whatever. Can make this anything you want if you go with a Fighter/Mage/Thief as the fourth character, of course.
Lastly a Fighter/Cleric or Ranger/Cleric. Possibly a Dwarven Defender if you go with some combination of Cleric and Thief as the fifth character and don't want more micro.

Definitely no Skalds or other non-Blade Bards. :colbert:

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 16, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

if I had to make a party to trivialize IWD without too much effort right now this is what I'd go with:

Berserker, Totemic Druid, Sorcerer as a core.
Fourth character would be a a Blade, Fighter/Illusionist or maybe even Fighter/Mage/Thief. I don't know how well a F/M/T will do if you don't play with Insane difficulty enemy spawns, though.
Fifth would be some multi- or dual-classed Thief. Swashbuckler->Fighter, Swashbuckler->Cleric, Cleric/Thief, Fighter/Thief, whatever. Can make this anything you want if you go with a Fighter/Mage/Thief as the fourth character, of course.
Lastly a Fighter/Cleric or Ranger/Cleric. Possibly a Dwarven Defender if you go with some combination of Cleric and Thief as the fifth character and don't want more micro.

Definitely no Skalds or other non-Blade Bards. :colbert:

Hah, ok i’ll try to hammer something together from this. I’ve made a pretty far in the game before, but I always get distracted I don’t play it for a month amd when I try to come back I have no idea where I am or what I’m doing, so I want to easiest time possible getting to the halfway mark.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Is totemic druid somehow beefed up in IWD or do their special abilities just work really well in it? I remember them being really underwhelming.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Dyna Soar posted:

Is totemic druid somehow beefed up in IWD or do their special abilities just work really well in it? I remember them being really underwhelming.
Their kit-specific summons are always immune to cold damage and later on become immune to normal weapons. They also get the beetle summons at level 4, and Bombardier Beetles are really strong with their AoE stun. And IWD gives Druids some level 1-3 spells that are actually worth casting. Sunscorch, Alicorn Lance and Spike Growth aren't incredible but they're useful.

I also find that Druids just work really well in IWD. Summons are extremely strong, and Druids get good ones. AoE lockdown is often good, and Druids have some good spells to add to the basic Web + Slow routine.

You could easily replace the character with an Avenger or another Sorcerer, but I liked the Totemic Druid when I used it and think it adds enough to the party to warrant a spot although at least the Sorcerer is a more powerful character in isolation.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
cool, i forgot the specifics of their special summons. immunity to normal weapons is likely very useful.

i always just use cleric/rangers or avengers myself.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Is there anyway to get the IWD items and spells into BG1/2?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

Is there anyway to get the IWD items and spells into BG1/2?

Not without mods, no.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
http://www.gibberlings3.net/iwdification/

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Oh baby! Does it work well? I had never heard of that mod which seems weird as I would expect it to be crazy popular.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

Oh baby! Does it work well? I had never heard of that mod which seems weird as I would expect it to be crazy popular.

If I were limited to using one and only one mod, it would probably be this one.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
It has never caused any issues in my installations.
I've recently found one minor bug (Cat's Grace appears to always give +1 Dexterity when it should give a randomized amount based on the class of the target) that I'll look into after my current ironman run is over. That's literally it; apart from that I've never encountered any problems with the mod.
And it's a great mod to have. It does a lot for Druids and Bards, and they can definitely use the help.
Adding Mind Blank and Seven Eyes to the Mage's arsenal might be too much, but you can just ignore those spells.
e: Oh yeah, and Antimagic Shell is busted as well.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 16, 2018

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Did the EE games change how party level scaling works? i remember bg1 having xp breakpoints at like level 3 and 5 where they’d level up to match, but is it a little more fluid now?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Not in the main games.
Siege of Dragonspear always gives companions enough XP to match the main character, although I've noticed that that doesn't always work perfectly when you're dual-classing.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
So I just picked up the Baldur's Gate EE games at the GOG sale and was wondering what are the must-have mods for them? The IWD one linked earlier looks neat but since I've never played any of the classic CRPGs (besides Fallout) so I have no idea what needs fixing.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I've been playing Baldur's Gate for almost 15 years now. I finally made it to Baldur's Gate for the second time ever. I'm bad at this game.

It's really strange and wonderful to encounter stuff in this game I've never seen before. I had no idea that Coran had a personal quest! That was... well, interesting may not be the right word, but it was certainly easy xp. Plus Coran is kind of a dick. But as long as he keeps shooting monsters in the face, I'm okay with it. I was poisoned and when I made it to the Blushing Mermaid, I totally missed there was a second floor to the place. I ended up wandering down into the basement, and from there into the sewers where I thought the guy with the second half of the antidote had fled to. Ended up killing a sewer king.

I also didn't know about the Merchant's League quest, because on my sole foray into the city before (years ago), I sided with the druids against the merchant. This time, I realized I should always side with the merchant.

Before I hit the iron throne, I decided to try and get into Durlag's Tower. Those two battle horrors gave me a hell of a time, and I barely killed a doom guard outside the tower itself. I think I'll come back to this place later. My average party level is 5-6 right now.

I also made a foray into that mages tower, the one who wanted me to get the nymph from Ragefast. I let the nymph go, so the other guy is completely hostile to me. I can make it through the slimes easy enough, but the third floor with six ghasts just kicks my rear end. Potions/spells of free action should make that easier I think.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

If I were limited to using one and only one mod, it would probably be this one.

Huh. I have still not played SoD at all as I am weird and need to run through BG1 first. I always get bogged down installing a giant forest of mods and never actually finish 99% percent of my play throughs, but I think after I’m done giving IWD a solid try it will be time for an attempt at BG/SoD/BG2/ToB.

I could never really get most mods to work after SoD came out, even with the various fixes, so hopefully this time I can get it running and stable.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

CFox posted:

So I just picked up the Baldur's Gate EE games at the GOG sale and was wondering what are the must-have mods for them? The IWD one linked earlier looks neat but since I've never played any of the classic CRPGs (besides Fallout) so I have no idea what needs fixing.
For a first playthrough I would only use some convenience tweaks.
http://www.gibberlings3.net/tweaks/

Just increasing all stack sizes will be fine. You may also want easier spell learning and higher HP on level up (there's an option to always get maximum HP you don't need mods for, though).

Apart from that I'd play without mods unless you absolutely want to play one of the classes that are poo poo (Beast Master, Wizard Slayer, Shapeshifter, Shaman) or at least go through extended periods of being poo poo (Monk, all Druids, to a lesser extent Bards). In that case you may want some rules tweaks, although tbh I don't know if there are any balanced ones out there.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

CFox posted:

Honestly no mods are needed to enjoy the game, most of the content mods are either jarringly low quality or introduce unbalanced items or tweaks.

I'd say finish it once with a clean install. There are some ease of use tweaks that make the dated UI design a bit more usable, but they're totally not required to enjoy the game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Lucas Archer go to Durlag’s Tower after you’ve finished not just Chapter 5, but Chapter 6 too. There’s more to Tales of the Sword Coast along those lines as well. To find the rest of it, go to Ulgoth’s Beard, which you can find by exploring north and east from Baldur’s Gate.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Arivia posted:

Lucas Archer go to Durlag’s Tower after you’ve finished not just Chapter 5, but Chapter 6 too. There’s more to Tales of the Sword Coast along those lines as well. To find the rest of it, go to Ulgoth’s Beard, which you can find by exploring north and east from Baldur’s Gate.

I've seen Ulgoth's on the map, just never gone there. I was planning on going there next (saved after escaping Durlag's with my life). I ended up using 10 charges on a wand of frost to kill the doom guard.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
That tweak pack looks great so I'll stick with that. One more question that I've got is what difficulty should I play on? For reference I play on normal in DA:O and POE and find it's just about right. Should I stick with the same for BG or is it much tougher than newer games?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

CFox posted:

That tweak pack looks great so I'll stick with that. One more question that I've got is what difficulty should I play on? For reference I play on normal in DA:O and POE and find it's just about right. Should I stick with the same for BG or is it much tougher than newer games?

Core rules definitely.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

Core rules definitely.

core rules unless you want to read scrolls or level up :smug:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

core rules unless you want to read scrolls or level up :smug:

part of the charm, bub

normal is way too easy, altho i agree that not getting full hit points and the spell scroll failure might irk some players used to modern gaming design.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Normal is way too easy because you've been playing these games for over a decade. A lot of people think they're super hard.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Suspicious posted:

Normal is way too easy because you've been playing these games for over a decade. A lot of people think they're super hard.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the barrier to entry is enormous

also "used to modern game design" aka "better game design". scroll failure and random hp should be something you opt into, not out of.

"i just spent all my gold on this scroll, i cant wait to learn fireball"
*fizzle*

if the answer is "you should just reload, but thats part of the game :smug:" then that isn't good game design. good game design would have quantized spell learning levels so x tier of spell requires y intelligence to learn.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I tend to “un-nerf” the THAC0 tables in the vain hopes of making fighter classes less useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
A lot of older games are borderline unfair like that. And judging by all the 90s worship games weve been getting lately, old school game desing is something a lot of people want.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 16, 2018